Zumba question...

i think they may have, but that was on EX...and i was trying to look at the compasses but my internet connection is being weird...

as for WHY they don't ? well to be honest, and not trying to sound nasty, but really, how could anyone here answer that?? we don't schedule their activities...

you could always call and ask them for some reason i think that there was an instructor on our cruise, but i am not 100% sure...

again, it may vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise....

if you go find Radio's LIVE from Explorer thread, there's a link in his signature to his photos, and he posted the compasses...

again, i'd point you in the right direction but i am having technical issues...

Thanks for the info... I guess I was hoping that someone from RCCL would be monitoring these boards and see this question. I certainly didn't expect cruisers to answer the "why not" part. I guess also I was hoping for someone else to say.. hey, yeah.. why not?? Maybe someone would have a suggestion as to who to contact to see if this is something that would be feasible onboard considering how popular an exercise program this is.

Does anyone know if any RCCL ships offer Zumba classes?? And if not, why not????

There were no Zumba classes on my Freedom cruise in November. My understanding is that because of Zumba licensing, you can't offer a Zumba class without a certified instructor; you can't get 'just any' aerobics instructor to lead it. I've heard that the Allure has offered Zumba, and some other ships have offered a similar type of class on occasion, but call it something different but recognizable for what it is.

I emailed RCI to inquire whether or not Zumba classes would be offered on my Jewel cruise next month and the response that I received basically told me that they had no way of knowing :rolleyes:

To me, adding Zumba classes to cruises seems like a no brainer. What a happy marriage they would be!

i think they may have, but that was on EX...and i was trying to look at the compasses but my internet connection is being weird...

as for WHY they don't ? well to be honest, and not trying to sound nasty, but really, how could anyone here answer that?? we don't schedule their activities...

you could always call and ask them for some reason i think that there was an instructor on our cruise, but i am not 100% sure...

again, it may vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise....

if you go find Radio's LIVE from Explorer thread, there's a link in his signature to his photos, and he posted the compasses...

again, i'd point you in the right direction but i am having technical issues...

i just scanned through Radio's EX compasses from last month and there were no zumba classes all 11 days. :mad: i'm seriously bummed.

There were no Zumba classes on my Freedom cruise in November. My understanding is that because of Zumba licensing, you can't offer a Zumba class without a certified instructor; you can't get 'just any' aerobics instructor to lead it.

I believe this is the reason too. I know that the licensing rules are very strict for Zumba. Also, and without wishing to get flamed, having seen the gym instructors on many ships they seem to have limited expertise and are far too tied up doing personal training, spinning and pilates and selling products which give you 'the secret to a flatter stomach' - all of which are money-makers for RCL.

Having said that, Anna Bass (the CD) did some Zumba style classes in one of the lounges on the Grandeur earlier in the year and these were very well received and - amazingly - free ;):D

i just scanned through Radio's EX compasses from last month and there were no zumba classes all 11 days. :mad: i'm seriously bummed.

OK.....i can almost picture someone talking about it...maybe it was a group or maybe it was an unofficial thing that was just listed on the little message thing they have.., OR probably even more so...it was in a dream!:o:D

I believe this is the reason too. I know that the licensing rules are very strict for Zumba. Also, and without wishing to get flamed, having seen the gym instructors on many ships they seem to have limited expertise and are far too tied up doing personal training, spinning and pilates and selling products which give you 'the secret to a flatter stomach' - all of which are money-makers for RCL.

Having said that, Anna Bass (the CD) did some Zumba style classes in one of the lounges on the Grandeur earlier in the year and these were very well received and - amazingly - free ;):D

i would pay for zumba classes!! :D

I'd settle if they'd bring back aerobics on a regular basis as was the case several years ago! Now, it is rare to see just one class usually very early morning. And trust me, if RCI did add zumba there would be a charge for it. Last cruise there was an intro and two 30 minute boot camp sessiions and the charge was $69!!

There were no Zumba classes on my Freedom cruise in November. My understanding is that because of Zumba licensing, you can't offer a Zumba class without a certified instructor; you can't get 'just any' aerobics instructor to lead it. I've heard that the Allure has offered Zumba, and some other ships have offered a similar type of class on occasion, but call it something different but recognizable for what it is.

You are correct about the licensing. Princess has Zumba classes offered as part of their dance classes and one of the dancers is licensensed for Zumba. No charge for it on Princess since it is considered a dance class and not the extra fee gym classes.

MARAPRINCE

I was on the NCL Gem this time last year, and we asked the cruise director at the Meet & Mingle for some Zumba classes. He said he could not offer Zumba (licensing issues) but he could talk to one of the dancers and see what he could do. Twice that week, one of the dancers gave superb (and free) latin dance classes, with all the moves that Zumba uses. It was a helluva workout (and I'm a seasoned Zumba Fitness attendee) and a helluva lot of fun.

Perhaps repeated requests to all the CDs would have some effect.

My daughter is a Zumba teacher and looked into leading classes on a cruise. Don't know what cruiseline, but all they offered was a half-price room and she'd have to teach 21 classes in 5 days - including port days! Yikes!

But what she did do was get her roll-call involved (because she wasn't allowed to advertise anything), brought her own music and procured a gym room that wasn't in use. She taught some classes for free. Only the lucky ones end up on a sailing like that.

I was on the NCL Gem this time last year, and we asked the cruise director at the Meet & Mingle for some Zumba classes. He said he could not offer Zumba (licensing issues) but he could talk to one of the dancers and see what he could do. Twice that week, one of the dancers gave superb (and free) latin dance classes, with all the moves that Zumba uses. It was a helluva workout (and I'm a seasoned Zumba Fitness attendee) and a helluva lot of fun.

Perhaps repeated requests to all the CDs would have some effect.

My daughter is a Zumba teacher and looked into leading classes on a cruise. Don't know what cruiseline, but all they offered was a half-price room and she'd have to teach 21 classes in 5 days - including port days! Yikes!

But what she did do was get her roll-call involved (because she wasn't allowed to advertise anything), brought her own music and procured a gym room that wasn't in use. She taught some classes for free. Only the lucky ones end up on a sailing like that.

I'd love to do this on our upcoming cruise if it would work out, I LOVE zumba so even some latin dancing would be fun.

Archived