Waterproof camera

spoiledkraut

We're going on another cruise in spring break and I was thinking about replacing my digital camera with a new one that is waterproof so I can take great pictures while snorkeling. Does anyone here have any suggestions what kind of cameras I should check out?

I have had a Canon Powershot D10 for about a year and have taken it on at least 6 snorkeling excursions. I have been extremely pleased with it, it takes great underwater pictures and you can edit them on screen. Here is a link to some of the pictures I have taken with it.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579652140oBLRLs

I have had a Canon Powershot D10 for about a year and have taken it on at least 6 snorkeling excursions. I have been extremely pleased with it, it takes great underwater pictures and you can edit them on screen. Here is a link to some of the pictures I have taken with it.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579652140oBLRLs

Thank you for sharing your pictures. They are awesome! Defiantly will consider this camera. :)

Here is the latest round up review of the newest entrants into the waterproof category: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

If you look on ebay you can find many refurbed older models for cheaper, but technology moves fast here just like computers a two year old camera is still a fine camera but today's models are often cheaper and or at the same price offer a lot more.

Rather than splurge on a waterproof camera, a couple of years ago I bought a waterproof bag for my existing digital camera.I have used it several times on cruises for pics while snorkeling, and it works great. It has an optical quality lens, and the pictures I take with it have been very clear. I have never had a problem with the bag leaking.

The brand name is DiCaPac, and I found it on Amazon. I think it cost about $35.

Just another option to consider!!!

We also have the Canon D10 and it does a good job. I have even used it while doing shallow water dives of 25-30 ft which is right there at the cameras depth rating. There may be better ones out there but this is a good one.

I have an inexpensive Fuji waterproof camera. It has worked well for snorkeling photos on the four cruises I've taken it on. I also like being able to take in on our kayaking trips at home without worrying about it getting wet.

We have a Sea Life. My wife uses it 100 ft under and it works great. The expensive part was the huge underwater flash. About $600 but what a difference it makes. A digital camera good for 20-30 ft, will be fine for snorkeling. The throw aways are just what they say.

I have an inexpensive Fuji waterproof camera. It has worked well for snorkeling photos on the four cruises I've taken it on. I also like being able to take in on our kayaking trips at home without worrying about it getting wet.

We also have a Fuji camera an XP finepix, it's inexpensive and works great, we have had it about 2 years now with no problems.

I spent some time looking at reviews, then went to National Camera and got the sales person's suggestions. I ended up going with the Nikon, which is relatively new, because it's small and lighter than some of the others. I want to be able to carry it in a pocket, or small purse for everyday use, but wanted the waterproof for our upcoming cruise. I've only started playing around with it, but think I will like it. The salesman did tell me they've sold quite a few and haven't had any come back. Right now it came with a free 2 year extended warranty, so that was a plus as well.

I spent some time looking at reviews, then went to National Camera and got the sales person's suggestions. I ended up going with the Nikon, which is relatively new, because it's small and lighter than some of the others. I want to be able to carry it in a pocket, or small purse for everyday use, but wanted the waterproof for our upcoming cruise. I've only started playing around with it, but think I will like it. The salesman did tell me they've sold quite a few and haven't had any come back. Right now it came with a free 2 year extended warranty, so that was a plus as well.

I'm about order the Nikon as well. Did you see this guys pictures with this camera? https://www.facebook.com/fun2dive He also has a video on his wall and the sold me on this camera.

We're going on another cruise in spring break and I was thinking about replacing my digital camera with a new one that is waterproof so I can take great pictures while snorkeling. Does anyone here have any suggestions what kind of cameras I should check out?

I have a Canon D10 (the follow pictures were all taken with the D10) ...

The abandon ship drill ...

D1-5.jpg

Stingray City ...

D7-1.jpg

D7-3.jpg

The Turtle Farm ...

D7-6.jpg

D8-1.jpg

D8-2.jpg

The canon does look like it takes great photos, but it was just a bit bigger than I was looking for. The link posted with photos from the nikon look pretty good, too!

I just found the nikon to be the lightest camera of the ones I checked out and was pretty compact as well.

The canon does look like it takes great photos, but it was just a bit bigger than I was looking for. The link posted with photos from the nikon look pretty good, too!

I just found the nikon to be the lightest camera of the ones I checked out and was pretty compact as well.

Those are some great pictures! Love the turtle one!

I was thinking about getting the canon but it's lacking the GPS and I was interested in that feature.

Thank you all for the input! I did appriciate them all.

I orderd me the Nikon and can't wait to use it on our next cruise! :)

I also have the Canon D10 and have been so pleased with it the last 2 years that I didn't even bother bringing the dslr on our cruise this past year. :eek:

It takes awesome underwater pictures, land pictures and awesome night pictures as well. It also have video.

Here's a link to my smugmug page with some above and underwater pictures we just took 3+ months ago: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Chankanaab-Cozumel-Mexico/19147812_D5w3PP#!i=1491563924&k=PMtsWsq

There's a ton of pictures on there in different categories too that you are welcome to look at (from both our Spirit and Epic cruise)

Here's a link to some fireworks pictures too: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25079768&postcount=10

I think that the one shortcoming of the Canon D10 (and I have one) is that it does not readily slip into a pocket without there be a big bulge.

One other tip...when you buy a camera for snorkeling purchase a floater wrist strap for it...the cameras really don't float that well and the straps cost less than $10.

I also have the Canon D10 and have been so pleased with it the last 2 years that I didn't even bother bringing the dslr on our cruise this past year. :eek:

It takes awesome underwater pictures, land pictures and awesome night pictures as well. It also have video.

Here's a link to my smugmug page with some above and underwater pictures we just took 3+ months ago: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Chankanaab-Cozumel-Mexico/19147812_D5w3PP#!i=1491563924&k=PMtsWsq

There's a ton of pictures on there in different categories too that you are welcome to look at (from both our Spirit and Epic cruise)

Here's a link to some fireworks pictures too: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25079768&postcount=10

Wow! Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I think that the one shortcoming of the Canon D10 (and I have one) is that it does not readily slip into a pocket without there be a big bulge.

One other tip...when you buy a camera for snorkeling purchase a floater wrist strap for it...the cameras really don't float that well and the straps cost less than $10.

I'm thinking about ordering a verity pack with extra battery, case etc for my camera. It has a floater strap in it too.

I'm thinking about ordering a verity pack with extra battery, case etc for my camera. It has a floater strap in it too.

I am not sure what all is in those up sell packages but I don't have a case for mine....it's a pretty rugged camera and the lens is well set back in the camera. I have done just fine with one battery, I just make sure that I charge it each evening. However, I do regard the floating strap as essential and it is also important to wash the camera throughly in fresh water soon after using it in salt water.

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies on this post- I am also thinking of purchasing the Canon Powershot D10. I had a few Qs, hoping some of you can help!

1. I know mitsugirly and others have raved about the Canon D10- does it really take good pictures between land, water, and nighttime? We have another Canon Powershot P&S (love it) and dSLR, but I'd hate to lug around all 3 cameras everywhere.

2. When you do take nighttime shots, do you need to adjust the settings at all? I am NOT an awesome photographer, and even on my beloved Canon P&S camera, I find nighttime pictures difficult to take- usually blurry and not crisp

If I can take the Canon D10 (and not bring the other 2), that'd be a sure win for me to buy this camera!

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies on this post- I am also thinking of purchasing the Canon Powershot D10. I had a few Qs, hoping some of you can help!

1. I know mitsugirly and others have raved about the Canon D10- does it really take good pictures between land, water, and nighttime? We have another Canon Powershot P&S (love it) and dSLR, but I'd hate to lug around all 3 cameras everywhere. It takes great time pix with it's 12mps, in fact it woke me up to what I was missing with my 6 year Canon p&s so I prevailed upon Santa to give me a new Canon Elpf 510HS....I really don't need two cameras but the new elf is easier to slip into a pocket.

2. When you do take nighttime shots, do you need to adjust the settings at all? I am NOT an awesome photographer, and even on my beloved Canon P&S camera, I find nighttime pictures difficult to take- usually blurry and not crisp It has a broad number of on screen adjustments that you can make which will give you a better pix or just go to automatic....however you do need to set it for underwater use.

If I can take the Canon D10 (and not bring the other 2), that'd be a sure win for me to buy this camera!

I think you will like it....I certainly like mine.

Archived