Flying Southwest Questions

Bigdog2003

I have a couple questions for anyone that has ever flown southwest.

1. Our boarding positions on our connecting flight are A group #'s 25, 27,30,and 32. This is for my wife, myself, and my 3 and 4 year old's. I was courious the groups they call the numbers in if we will all be able to board together.

2. Are those good boarding positions to be able to pick out good seats. ex. window seats as this will be my kids first flight.

1. There are two Groups A and B. Group A is the first group after all the priority seating. Since your numbers are almost in sequence order, 25,27 and 30,32 you should be ok boarding together. The numbers go like Group A 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, etc. So you will be in 26-30 and 31-35. They don't come by and make sure everyone is in 1,2,3,4,5,etc. order. As long as you stand in that group you'll be fine. I would just put a couple in the 26-30 and then the others in the front of the 31-35. You will be fine.

2. Yes those are pretty good boarding positions. Each group goes from 1-60 I believe. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless you are getting on a plane that is just stopping and keeping many of the passengers on board, your numbers should be just fine.

You should pretty much get the seats of your choice, I would think.

If you are getting on a flight that is already full and taking on only a few passengers, that could be a different story. You can always check to see if your flight is part of a longer leg or not.

1. Our boarding positions on our connecting flight are A group #'s 25, 27,30,and 32. This is for my wife, myself, and my 3 and 4 year old's. I was courious the groups they call the numbers in if we will all be able to board together.

2. Are those good boarding positions to be able to pick out good seats. ex. window seats as this will be my kids first flight.

Southwest usually allow passengers with small children to board first. Also, boarding #1's are the first numbers called if they don't offer it and even though the numbers are not all together, they still let you board together.

Yes, those are good numbers to be able to get whatever seats you want. I think they have people lined up in order with A-1 to A-30 first. Since you have young children you can most likely all get on together even though one of you is A-32. When you get on just find the first seats you see that meet your qualifications because if you walk past them toward the back and then come back forward, someone will probably have taken them. Have a good time!

Southwest will first call A1-15 which is business class. From my experience, I've seen at most 3 people board during this time. They will then call A16-30. If they don't let whoever A32 is through, you could always stay with one child and your wife could continue with the other child (or vice versa) and grab seats for you all. Like someone mentioned, if this is the first flight of the day, you will get whatever seat you want, pretty much. If it's a connecting flight then it all depends on how many people have remained on the flight, but even then you pretty much get first dibs on whatever is left. Good luck and have fun!

There are actually some C boarding numbers assigned on really full flights, too.

Families with small children are allowed to board between the A and B groups if they don't already have an A boarding pass.

Your numbers sound pretty good to me seeing that the first 20 or so in the A group are reserved for those who pay the extra "Business" fares.

They have A 1-30 line up on one side of posts with the number on it and A 31-60 on the other. The signs have the number in groups of 5, so sometimes people are standing slightly out of order, but in the general location. So the only problem I see is the person who has A32 would technically supposed to stand a bit away from the other folks. I don't expect it would be a big deal for that person to just stand with the rest though.

Have fun!

Yes, with children that age, when they call for passengers with small children to board first, get yourselves up there and get on the plane. There's a chance you won't get four seats in a row, but two next to each other should be fine.

If you have to change planes (which I'm guessing you won't since you have only one set of boarding numbers), then you have to go through the process all over again.

I like SWA for their fares, but there is the chance that you won't get premium seating if someone beats you to it.

Southwest no longer allows family preboarding before Group A. Individuals with disabilities board first, then A, then families (as defined as an adult flying with a child 4 and under who do not have A passes), then B and sometimes C. See http://www.swabiz.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=boarding_school

Joie is right. Families with small children are allowed to board after the A group. Certified handicaps, wheelchair assist, and children traveling alone preboard before the A group.

Most SW plane hold about 120 people or more. The A group is 60 people with the first 15 reserved for A-List Frequent Fliers. There are usually only 1 to 4 A-List so there are still many groups of seats available together after Group A. Families boarding after A and before B don't usually have any problems finding seats together.

With the highest number of 32 there should only be about 15 people, plus pre-boards, get on before you do and that's if you let 26, 28, and 29 go ahead of you to keep your group together. You could have your #25 board and save seats but you will just be a person or two apart as you board.

It's a little irritating that groups get separated especially if you are using FF points or companion passes but it's rarely keeps people from being able to sit together.

People board in numerical order and yes.

People also save seats all the time on SWA, so whoever is first on can toss carry ons, coats, etc into desired seats and wait for the rest to show up, but honestly, with numbers that close there is no need.

If you didn't have decent numbers, families with small children are allowed to board between the A and B groups, whatever the numbers. There is also a C boarding group.

I fly SW twice a week, here is the boarding sequence:

Handicapped - must check with gate agent and get blue boarding sleeve for your ticket.

A 1-60. the first 15 are Business Select. If you travel on a weekday these are most likely full. Variables depend on where you are flying from.

Families with small children

B 1-60

C 1-60

There are 135-137 seats on SW 737 aircraft, depending on the series. Just a note, I've seen oversell in quite a few flights lately. Flying in a day early is a good idea.

For $10 bucks you can get priority boarding, and do this prior to your travel day. It's not an assurance in the A group, you just don't have to check in yourself. Before I made A-List it got my family in the A group every time.

I'm not saying this is "always" the case, but most people are willing to give up their seat to have a family sit close together. It may be husband/child on one row, wife/child next row, or they could be across from each other.

I do have a question for those of you who fly Southwest. They say you CANNOT print a boarding pass no more than 24 hours before. Have you ever been able to print the pass in less than 24 hours? I always try to do it as cose to the 24 hour span, but would love to do it earlier, if possible.

I do have a question for those of you who fly Southwest. They say you CANNOT print a boarding pass no more than 24 hours before. Have you ever been able to print the pass in less than 24 hours? I always try to do it as cose to the 24 hour span, but would love to do it earlier, if possible.

I have not found any way to print the boarding pass more than 24 hrs before the flight. I have been online at the 24 hr mark clicking until it let me in. If you have a connecting flight you will be able to print your boarding pass for it at the same time you print your originating flight even if it is not within 24 hrs yet.

I have not found any way to print the boarding pass more than 24 hrs before the flight. I have been online at the 24 hr mark clicking until it let me in. If you have a connecting flight you will be able to print your boarding pass for it at the same time you print your originating flight even if it is not within 24 hrs yet.

If you are cruising have a friend check you in on their computer. Make sure they consider the time zone from where you are flying for times to check-in. They need your confirmation, first and last name.

You can print both boarding passes at the same time if you have connecting flights.

Don't worry about not being able to print your boarding passes before you get to the airport. You can get a boarding pass at a SWA kiosk if you are walking on the plane, curbside or at the counter if you check luggage.

For those of you that check in right at the 24 hour point. Do you typically get into the A group? We are a family of 4 and I want to ensure my kids and I get seated together. (Although I'm sure it won't be a problem) They are not young enough to qualify for the families with small children group.

For those of you that check in right at the 24 hour point. Do you typically get into the A group? We are a family of 4 and I want to ensure my kids and I get seated together. (Although I'm sure it won't be a problem) They are not young enough to qualify for the families with small children group.

From my limited experience, not always-the reason being is many people could be paying the extra $10 for the "Early Bird" check-in ahead of time....

Not always. It depends on how many pay the $10 fee (numbers are assigned after the Special A1 -15 seats), how many people are connecting on your flight from earlier SWA flights (as noted they can check in on the later flight at the same time as the earlier flight), and how many groups (like teams) have made arrangements through group reservations.

There has been times when we have been assigned a high B number and watched in irritation as families (i.e, one 4 years old and 12 adults) take advantage of the family boarding between groups A and B. Of course, the pre-boarding of the handicap is abused in the same way (one person in a wheelchair, 6 other family members). By the time the high Bs boarded, seat pickings were pretty slim.

By the way, for those who talk about saving seats: SWA policy is that no seat saving is allowed. So if someone boards early and promptly tries to save a group of seats for those boarding later, the flight attendants will support any passenger that wants those seats boarding before those for whom the seats are save. This usually happens with those saved seats up front on the aisle or window seats.

One thing you won't be able to get probably is one of those nice exit row seats with all the leg room. But since kids are traveling with you, you wouldn't be able to sit there anyway, only able bodied adults to help get others off plane in an emergency.

You should have an awesome selection of seats with those numbers. And plenty of that precious overhead hold for carry ons.

I love Southwest now that the other carriers charge for luggage, I take my two free suitcases and off I go!!!

Also you can take advantage of the cruiseship transfering your bags for you, just 20.00 per person!!! We used it and loved it!

Have an awesome time, Carole

OP, you wont have any problems. We fly SW all the time. We too get the EB and one time ended up with the last 2 numbers in the A group. Most folks that have the A group stay to the front or towards the middle of the plane. We actually perfer the last row or two and have never had a problem getting that row or the one across from it. Just head towards the back of the plane and you should find lots of empty seats. In addition, it is close to the rear bathrooms which is always handy when you are traveling with kids. There always seems to be overhead space in the rear of the plane too... For whatever reason, some passengers put their carry-ons in the overhead bins as soon as they board the plane even though they are sitting farther back?? It's always nice to be able to have your carry-ons directly above you.

I hope your children enjoy their first flight. :)

Did you pay the 10.00 eb seats? I paid the price since I will not have access to get boarding passes after the cruise. If you did not pay the 10.00 make sure some one checks you in 24 hours before your return flight

The boarding of families with small children must vary. I do not normally fly SWA, but we did on Dec 23 and Dec 28. On both flights, they boarded families with small children right after A 1-15 group. I had A-30 something and had no trouble getting 3 seats together. It would also have been no problem getting 4 seats together and both planes were full.

you will be able to board in family boarding yes...however, you hold A positions which is in front of the family boarding.

They will line you up in A1-30 31-60 then B group etc. Family boarding will be after A group, but before B group.

You will be fine. trust me. i work there. 130+ seats on the plane. There are 3 seats in a row on each side-i suggest you take two rows one in front of the other that way you can easily communicate with each other. You will have no problem getting seats together. If for some crazy reason you are not able to, the flight attendants will help you....they will make sure your 3 year old will not be alone lol.

Also, do not sit near the wings...as they will block your kiddos view. Small children are unable to sit in the exit rows anyway but you just want to make sure you are far enough away to not block their view. have fun, and thanks for flying :)

• 2 weeks later...

Miller - KC, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that has to "wait":(for the 24 hours to be up before printing my boarding pass. Very seldom do I get in the "A" group, generally it is the B or sometimes C group, even though I get in on the "24 hour" point. I think it all involves with children, handicap people and those that pay the $10 fee.

Brenda

Archived