Early May Alaska?

cio541

I am looking at a May 1 Cruise. My question is how many excursions that early get canceled due to weather? I don't mind cold, I am just wondering if they cancel lots of tours during that time.

Also this cruise starts in Vancouver and ends in Seattle. Are there good ways to park in Seattle and get to Vancouver?

Thanks

I am looking at a May 1 Cruise. My question is how many excursions that early get canceled due to weather? I don't mind cold, I am just wondering if they cancel lots of tours during that time.

Also this cruise starts in Vancouver and ends in Seattle. Are there good ways to park in Seattle and get to Vancouver?

Thanks

The princess website mentions a bus ride from Seattle to Vancouver. It takes about 3 hours and costs about $40.

Might be a good idea to check with the private vendors to see it they're even operating so early in the season. And some excursions might be affected by lingering snow and/or runoff.

Parking is really pricey in Seattle. I think it's $25 a day at the pier.

If you're in Oregon, check out Amtrak Cascades schedule to and from Vancouver. Otherwise there's quickcoach between Seattle and Vancouver.

I don't care that the cruise lines have pushed the start of the cruise line back into April, it is too early to enjoy the full Alaska experience. I used to be willing to cruise during the shoulder season (early and late) when it was CHEAP to do so, but the bargains are long gone.

May 1st is going to be a tad early but the scenery won't change. Seattle to Vancouver, Amtrak operates both trains (2 per day) and a number of buses. Quick Shuttle is another option. As for parking maybe a Seattleite can help you better then me.

I have booked the Carnival May 1st cruise out of Vancouver. I am flying into SeaTac, spending the night in Seattle and taking the Amtrak train to Vancouver. The train ride is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm looking forward to it! I also like to cruise in May because USUALLY there is less rain and I LOVE to see snow and ice etc.

Sherri

I don't care that the cruise lines have pushed the start of the cruise line back into April, it is too early to enjoy the full Alaska experience.

The April sailings were very short-lived. The earliest this year is May 1st - which I think is still too early unless cold is a big part of what you want to experience. May 6 is when most lines start (there are only 4 ships in total from May 1-5).

Actually the first of May cruises, are not "dry", the dryer reports come later, with mid May and after far better odds.

I've sailed the first cruise, and only did so, because they gave the cruise away, I also had a "regular" trip booked the same year. (did this twice one year, when they price dumped the last cruises, and sailed Alaska 3 times that year) Never has the weather been decent, one trip had 6 out of 7 days of rain. The few other times, had at least half the trip cold rain.

Some tours may not be running, glacier dog sledding is usually one of them.

Thanks

I don't know about your first question - too much variables for my taste...

Amtrak & there is a shuttle bus service... (quick bus?)

I am also booked on the May 1, 2012 Carnival Spirit out of Vancouver, and one negative I have noticed is that Avis Car Rental will not be open when the ship docks at Skagway, so self-driving to the Yukon and Emerald lake is not viable. As I have a group of 4, the train rides will cost more than $500.00 as opposed to $100.00 to rent a car for the day.

I am also booked on the May 1, 2012 Carnival Spirit out of Vancouver, and one negative I have noticed is that Avis Car Rental will not be open when the ship docks at Skagway, so self-driving to the Yukon and Emerald lake is not viable. As I have a group of 4, the train rides will cost more than $500.00 as opposed to $100.00 to rent a car for the day.

There is one independent car rental, that I don't use, but others have given good reports.

http://www.skagway.com

But you will run into snow, and possible white outs at White Pass. I've driven it, with no issue, the snow banks are probably 12 feet high. Carcross isn't "open" for the tourists, but basic services are. Emerald Lake is all frozen so no deep "green" you may have heard about. Possible to see the trumpet swan migration.

The April sailings were very short-lived. The earliest this year is May 1st - which I think is still too early unless cold is a big part of what you want to experience. May 6 is when most lines start (there are only 4 ships in total from May 1-5).

Actually there is a repo cruise this year that stops in several Alaska ports in early to mid April.

There is one independent car rental, that I don't use, but others have given good reports.

We'll make it easy on you. Sourdough Rentals. :)

One of the Crystal Cruise line ships is stopping at a couple Alaska ports in mid-April as part of their world cruise. Friends of mine on our that trip. We had big talks about clothing for that time of the year in Alaska.

Hard for them as a great deal of that cruise is in hot climates.

Thanks

Booked on the spirit 5/1/ out of Vancouver. We will leave our van in Seattle-stay 123- rent a car-and drive to Vancouver. Have only found a rental car co closed in skagway so far-all others are open and ready to go.:D

I have booked the Carnival May 1st cruise out of Vancouver. I am flying into SeaTac, spending the night in Seattle and taking the Amtrak train to Vancouver. The train ride is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm looking forward to it! I also like to cruise in May because USUALLY there is less rain and I LOVE to see snow and ice etc.

Sherri

See you onboard Sherri.

Eleanor and Victor

The one thing I would add is besides the weather being iffier, is that you have to realise that lots of the beauty of the land may either be covered in snow or grey and still not bloomed from winter.

We went to Skagway for instance in mid May. The trip up the RR was gorgeous, the wetaher balmy and about 78 degrees. But at the top of the pass there was still alot of snow. Now this might not be a big deal for someone used to snow but to me the verdant green of the evergreen forest of the way up was muted in winter at the top.

In Denali, it was even more evident, the ground was grey, still thawing from the snow and there was little green. Contrast this to the midsummer pictures you see of Denali abloom with flowers. The willow was just budding and a gorgeous pale leafy green though.

The contrast was pretty amazing for the southern CA girl... I knew however what to expect because I had spent springs and summers in CO so was ready for the grey.

Also fishing for salmon is nearly impossible this early in the season...

BQ is right the weather though for us with glorious, 3 straight days of Denali out, the coldest I was was on Glacier Bay. Ketchikan was our only rainy day... and it was really only misty... but heck it is a rainforest after all....

So take into account what you are expecting the land to look like like and be realistic that you will see alot of snow. If this is how you envision it... then go and have the time of your lives, I know we did.

There are many pictures on my blog illustrating what I am saying... Have a look if you are curious.

Happy sailing!

One of the Crystal Cruise line ships is stopping at a couple Alaska ports in mid-April as part of their world cruise. Friends of mine on our that trip. We had big talks about clothing for that time of the year in Alaska.

Hard for them as a great deal of that cruise is in hot climates.

Yes, a world cruise on Crystal is "hard" I am feeling sorry that they might have to pack or buy appropriate clothing for Alaska in April.:rolleyes:

Yes, a world cruise on Crystal is "hard" I am feeling sorry that they might have to pack or buy appropriate clothing for Alaska in April.:rolleyes:

Well I offered to go along as their personal servant and tour guide, but that didn't click with them.

They are going to be wearing layers in Alaska with hats, gloves and decent shoes. Obviously some sort of long pants and a rain jacket. May not be perfect, but they will manage.

They are considering shipping home non-essential (tropical) clothing from Alaska via US Mail flat rate boxes.

We went once in May, and it turned out to be fine. One thing that was really nice was that in Skagway we were able to get a snowshoe hike. Took the train up to Glacier Station and went on snowshoes from there up the mountain to a really nice overlook of a glacier. Name of that glacier escapes me now. I fell down about a million times, but that hike is one of my most treasured memories. :)

Well I offered to go along as their personal servant and tour guide, but that didn't click with them.

They are going to be wearing layers in Alaska with hats, gloves and decent shoes. Obviously some sort of long pants and a rain jacket. May not be perfect, but they will manage.

They are considering shipping home non-essential (tropical) clothing from Alaska via US Mail flat rate boxes.

We have shipped stuff home on quite a few vacations! (We have also shipped stuff to the hotels that we would be staying at in lieu of schlepping all of it through airports.)

Archived