Spin Bikes on the Emerald

dstables

We are sailing on the Emerald on February 16, 2012 for 20 days. Looking for information on the spin bikes on the Emerald. I last sailed on the Grand last February and they only offered spin classes late in the afternoon. I am currently training for a 200 km ride in the spring and really need to get my kms in everyday while on the cruise. Spin classes late in the afternoon is not what I am looking for. I am hoping to be able to use one of the spin bikes early in the morning once the gym has opened and do by own training workout. Anyone have any experience in using the spin bikes outside of spin classes? Also does anyone know if cycling shoes will click into the spin bikes on the Emerald. I know that there is other stationary bikes in the gym but they are not the same as riding a spin bike which is much closer to riding a rode bike. Thanks for any information you can give me. :D

We are sailing on the Emerald on February 16, 2012 for 20 days. Looking for information on the spin bikes on the Emerald. I last sailed on the Grand last February and they only offered spin classes late in the afternoon. I am currently training for a 200 km ride in the spring and really need to get my kms in everyday while on the cruise. Spin classes late in the afternoon is not what I am looking for. I am hoping to be able to use one of the spin bikes early in the morning once the gym has opened and do by own training workout. Anyone have any experience in using the spin bikes outside of spin classes? Also does anyone know if cycling shoes will click into the spin bikes on the Emerald. I know that there is other stationary bikes in the gym but they are not the same as riding a spin bike which is much closer to riding a rode bike. Thanks for any information you can give me. :D

While I've never been on the Emerald, every other Princess ship I've sailed has the spin bikes unavailable outside of classes. With you're training, it wouldn't hurt to ask about using one. I don't know why they're unavailable to use independently...probably either to make some money by charging a fee or some potential liability by being different than a regular exercise bike? :confused:

Hope you can use one as often as necessary! :)

I can only say what I know from the Crown last week. My husband inquired about the spin classes. There was one each of the sea days at 4 PM. He went to one class and said it was excellent. He also asked about using the bikes at other times, and he was told that "due to insurance issues" they were only available during the classes. Of course, this may be different on the Emerald - I really can't say.

Mo

I can only say what I know from the Crown last week. My husband inquired about the spin classes. There was one each of the sea days at 4 PM. He went to one class and said it was excellent. He also asked about using the bikes at other times, and he was told that "due to insurance issues" they were only available during the classes. Of course, this may be different on the Emerald - I really can't say.

Mo

Thanks for confirming that it's an insurance liability issue which I thought could be the reason the spin bikes are only available during classes.

Just completed a 14 day on Sapphire. The bikes were Spinner NXT with SPD standard clips. They offered eight classes, all starting at 4 pm on the sea days. The bikes were rolled off the floor and put away when not in use.

I was on the Emerald about 18 months ago and the pedals did have the standard shoe clips. I inquired if the bikes could be used in the morning and was told that the bikes could only be used during their Spin classes.

Thanks for the replies. 4 p.m. was the time on the Grand last year and I just can't bring myself to training at 4 p.m. after laying in the sun and having a few drinks.

I've done the spinning classes on my last two cruises and they were both in the morning around 9am. Last cruise was the Emerald in Nov and The Caribbean Last march. If I recall correctly they leave the spinning bikes out so I'm sure if you just hopped on one nobody would say anything to you.

I was on the Emerald about 18 months ago and the pedals did have the standard shoe clips.

When you say they have the "standard shoe clips" do you mean a strap over the pedal or a pedal that allows the clete on a bicycling show to attach like a ski binding? I may be wrong but my cycling experience tells me that when the OP asked about clicking shoes onto the pedals, it appears they're asking about the ski binding types where it 'clicks' as the shoes firmly attach to the pedals.

I believe they say it's an insurance issue, but I think it's more a profit center for them. They have a number of other pieces of equipment in the gym that look more likely to cause accidents than the spin bikes do.

When you say they have the "standard shoe clips" do you mean a strap over the pedal or a pedal that allows the clete on a bicycling show to attach like a ski binding? I may be wrong but my cycling experience tells me that when the OP asked about clicking shoes onto the pedals, it appears they're asking about the ski binding types where it 'clicks' as the shoes firmly attach to the pedals.

The pedals on the spin bikes on Sapphire (and, very likely, most other Princess ships) each have two sides, one has straps to lock in a tennis or running shoe, the other has a clip for specialized road bike or mountain bike shoes. The type of clip is called SPD, push down to lock in, twist to unlock. Any cycling store should sell shoes with SPD clips.

On Sapphire there were about 20 of us in spin for each class. I noticed about three or four of us had cycling shoes, but most strapped in their running shoes.

The pedals on the spin bikes on Sapphire (and, very likely, most other Princess ships) each have two sides, one has straps to lock in a tennis or running shoe, the other has a clip for specialized road bike or mountain bike shoes. The type of clip is called SPD, push down to lock in, twist to unlock. Any cycling store should sell shoes with SPD clips.

On Sapphire there were about 20 of us in spin for each class. I noticed about three or four of us had cycling shoes, but most strapped in their running shoes.

This is exactly the information I was looking for on the pedals. Didn't want to pack my cycling shoes if they would not fit. Sounds like they will. Not really sure how they can say that you can't use the spin bikes because of insurance reasons. This is a gym with lots of different type of exercise equipment. Why would the spin bikes be the only equipment that can only be used in a class because of insurance. The cruise line has insurance for the gym which one would think that it would cover ALL equipment used by passengers. I might try giving Princess a call to see if I can get an answer out of them. Probably will have to talk to many people before someone can give me an answer. :eek: Should I get an answer I will report back. Thanks for all the feedback!

I believe they say it's an insurance issue, but I think it's more a profit center for them. They have a number of other pieces of equipment in the gym that look more likely to cause accidents than the spin bikes do.

I suspect your right about being a profit item. They're probably one of the newest pieces of exercise equipment introduced in the last few years and I can't ever remembering them being free. If Princess could get away with charging for every piece of equipment I'm sure they would but that would cause an uproar among the cruisers.

Thanks...I didn't know that they have SPD pedals which I use on my road/mountain bikes at home.

The pedal has a strap for tennis shoes and the shoe clip for bike shoes were you clip into the pedal.

Why are the spin bikes unavailable outside of scheduled spin class? I see others above have speculated that there are insurance reasons, or even profit reasons.

So I'll add my own speculation. I don't think it's either insurance or profit. The spin classes are conducted on about 20 specialize bikes on the relatively small, and multi-purpose, aerobics section of the gym, away from the area with the weights, weight machines, most treadmills and general use stationary bicycles. The aerobics area is used for all types of different classes, continuously, every day. Often it is set up with mats for stretching and yoga, dozens of folding chairs for a "class," or platforms for step aerobics. Something called Zumba even happens in their occasionally. From what I've seen the spin bikes are always rolled off the main floor and packed into a corner when not in use, as they have to be to make room for the other classes.

Upon boarding I've signed up for all the offered spin classes on my last two cruises, on Golden and Sapphire. As I recall most, if not all, of the 20ish slots for each class were purchased on the first day of the cruise. Over Christmas last month, on Sapphire, all 8 classes (on the sea days) were sold to 20 passengers on the first day. So spin was sold out for the cruise. The price was $80 pp. So the 20 of us got to know each other as the days went by, and we got to know the two Princess instructors. Some of the serious cyclists would get to class a bit early, help roll out and set up the bikes, start their warm-up early, and stay a bit late, helping to roll all the bikes off the floor after class. Thus, they got in some extra work, and the instructors knew them and their proficiency on the bikes.

On each cruise the Princess instructors spent considerable time on the first day or days helping those who self-identified as new to spin to set up in proper position, adjust and learn their bikes. Because there is a 40 pound flywheel on this type of bike, and no obvious way to break the wheel until one's trained, there is considerable chance of injury for the novice on a spin bike.

So, for all the above reasons, that is why, in my humble opinion, the spin bikes are unavailable for general use.

I was on the Emerald in November and used the gym daily.

Spin bikes are only available during spin classes. Otherwise they are pulled off to the side.

The gym does have regular exercise bikes (both upright and reclining versions) that can be used.

Archived