First Med Cruise - Naples

LisaH

All, we are thinking of planning our first Med cruise for 2013. I have asked advice on the Princess Board as well but here I have a question specific to Naeples and Pompeii. Pompeii is a priority for us.

We will do excursion via cruise line. My issue is how long does it take to get from the port to Pompeii. What is the restroom situation like on the way (if longer than an hour or so). I know (or have heard) there are restrooms at Pompeii.

Thank you

All, we are thinking of planning our first Med cruise for 2013. I have asked advice on the Princess Board as well but here I have a question specific to Naeples and Pompeii. Pompeii is a priority for us. We will do excursion via cruise line. My issue is how long does it take to get from the port to Pompeii. What is the restroom situation like on the way (if longer than an hour or so). I know (or have heard) there are restrooms at Pompeii. Thank you

The distance and timing in going from the Naples port to Pompeii is not that long. My recollection is maybe 30-minutes or so. Should not have a restroom problem.

Some have ask if Pompeii is that good. It is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era. My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement. I asked what caused that. Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots." WOW! It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here.

Visiting the brothel house was also super interesting. Our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provide "customers" a choice on what position they wished to choose for these "services". They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era. They didn't speak the local language. Our guide in 1999 said on one of the wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position". He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, nodding their heads, regardless of their language spoken. Interesting!!!

You can see many more details for who we did in the Med below from my live/blog. Don't be shy!! Feel free to ask any follow-ups. The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask.

Below are few of my Pompeii pictures and some other options nearby. During a visit to Naples, you can do more than just Pompeii. I would consider some time, also, along the Amalfi Coast. So super scenic!!! With a private tour, you can achieve and experience much, much more in a better way than riding on a large cruise ship tour bus.

Consider your best options!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 56,048 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are some of my photo samples of what we saw in Pompeii with our guide. There are a wide variety of buildings, interiors, art and architectural objects, etc. Very interesting and super historic!!!:

PompeiiOne.jpg

PompeiiTwo.jpg

PompeiiThree.jpg

An example of the art on the walls within a residence in Pompeii. Amazing sites and sights in this historic area.:

PompeiWallRedArtDesign.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Ravello sits high above the water overlooking the great views of the Amalfi Coast. This charming town of 2500 people has many interesting buildings. Shown is a sample of its structures, flowers and views to nearby, terraced hillsides. In the summer months, the "Ravello Festival" takes place in Ravello. The Festival started in 1953 in honor of Richard Wagner, who did inspired writing at this location. Ravello was founded in the 5th century as a shelter location against Barbarian invaders at the end of the Western Roman Empire. In the 9th century Ravello was an important town of the maritime republic of Amalfi. In the 20th century, many famous artists, including Virginia Woolf, Greta Garbo, Joan Mirò, Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams and Leonard Bernstein, visited and stayed in Ravello.:

RavelloFlowersBldgViews.jpg

30-45' depending on traffic.

The big ship tour bus show up likely an hour after opening, if in the summer be prepared it will be hot.

If you consider private you can get there at opening and have the place almost all to yourself before the tours descend and be on your way out ;)

As to restrooms lots at the entrance /exit but inside, don't recall any, plan accordingly!

All, we are thinking of planning our first Med cruise for 2013. I have asked advice on the Princess Board as well but here I have a question specific to Naeples and Pompeii. Pompeii is a priority for us.

We will do excursion via cruise line. My issue is how long does it take to get from the port to Pompeii. What is the restroom situation like on the way (if longer than an hour or so). I know (or have heard) there are restrooms at Pompeii.

Thank you

I know you said you are planning to do the ship's excursion, so I won't try to convince you to do otherwise if that style of touring fits you well. However, there is a very easy to catch train that takes you down to Pompeii and back. It is easy to get to, fast and cheap. I thought it took us about 20 minutes to walk to the train station then less than 30 to get to Pompeii. They are commuter-type trains, I think. I don't remember any restrooms on them.

We are avid do-it-yourselfers and recognize that not everyone else is, so I won't try to twist anyone's arm about it.

Wow, so far great and valuable info. We are not adventurous as far as excursions go - have always done ship excursions. I like the idea of a private tour getting there early, etc. Do the cruise lines ever offer private tours through excursions desk? I assume it would be quite pricey if they do.

I will look at all the pics - can't wait. The mention of the grooves from the chariots is awesome to think about...very cool!

Thank you all...

Wow, so far great and valuable info. We are not adventurous as far as excursions go - have always done ship excursions. I like the idea of a private tour getting there early, etc. Do the cruise lines ever offer private tours through excursions desk? I assume it would be quite pricey if they do.

I will look at all the pics - can't wait. The mention of the grooves from the chariots is awesome to think about...very cool!

Thank you all...

Cruise line offering a private tour? Doesn't that go against the concept of a "private" tour?

Some cruise lines offer "enhanced" or "deluxe" tours, which are smaller (sometimes as few as 2 people) groups, and are very similar to privately arranged tours. However, as the cruise line is setting them up, they are more expensive than those you arrange. So, while "deluxe", you can do better. We did this in Athens thru Holland America for a group of 4. For 4 people, the rate per person wasn't too much higher than if we had arranged our own. But looking at their 2 person rates, you can do better on your own. The tour was awesome!

Cruise line offering a private tour? Doesn't that go against the concept of a "private" tour?

Some cruise lines offer "enhanced" or "deluxe" tours, which are smaller (sometimes as few as 2 people) groups, and are very similar to privately arranged tours. However, as the cruise line is setting them up, they are more expensive than those you arrange. So, while "deluxe", you can do better. We did this in Athens thru Holland America for a group of 4. For 4 people, the rate per person wasn't too much higher than if we had arranged our own. But looking at their 2 person rates, you can do better on your own. The tour was awesome!

Yes, I guess what I meant was a tour for a few rather than a big crowd via the cruise line. Thank you.

forget pompy and head for the small island of Capri, a short boat ride from the port of Naples at a very reasonable price(not booked with tour company) THIS PLACE IS FANTASTIC, YOU SHOULD RESEARCH CAPRI, Pompei is a distance and disapointing!

forget pompy and head for the small island of Capri, a short boat ride from the port of Naples at a very reasonable price(not booked with tour company) THIS PLACE IS FANTASTIC, YOU SHOULD RESEARCH CAPRI, Pompei is a distance and disapointing!

Pompeii is a distance and disappointing???

Even the hydrofoil to Capri from Naples is 40 minutes (the fast ferry is 10 minutes more).....while the train from Naples to Pompeii departs regularly and takes about 37 minutes. Buses take 30-40 minutes as well. So I fail to see how one could consider Capri less of a "distance" than Pompeii.

And as for disappointing, perhaps you might want to clarify that as your opinion. I certainly did not find it so and am returning to Naples in a couple of months, planning to spend an entire day on site (at least).

While Capri also has some ruins, they are not anywhere near what you find at Pompeii (and most people do not even visit them). I'm afraid views and tourist shops do little for me....

Even the hydrofoil to Capri from Naples is 40 minutes (the fast ferry is 10 minutes more).....while the train from Naples to Pompeii departs regularly and takes about 37 minutes. Buses take 30-40 minutes as well. So I fail to see how one could consider Capri less of a "distance" than Pompeii.

And as for disappointing, perhaps you might want to clarify that as your opinion. I certainly did not find it so and am returning to Naples in a couple of months, planning to spend an entire day on site (at least).

While Capri also has some ruins, they are not anywhere near what you find at Pompeii (and most people do not even visit them). I'm afraid views and tourist shops do little for me....

Well put Cruisemom!

I agree it is important not to dismiss Pompeii. I fully endorse this post.

Do you know where the key is that goes along with the map? I looked at the site but didn't see it; am I just overlooking it?

No, I don't - I wondered about that too. I know I've seen it somewhere ... but I'll need to do some digging to figure out where.

While I look for that, here is an alternate map that does have a key (http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mappa_scavi.pdf). I didn't post it for the earlier question because this one doesn't show the restrooms. Apparently you can have either one or the other, but not both, sigh.

No, I don't - I wondered about that too. I know I've seen it somewhere ... but I'll need to do some digging to figure out where.

While I look for that, here is an alternate map that does have a key (http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mappa_scavi.pdf). I didn't post it for the earlier question because this one doesn't show the restrooms. Apparently you can have either one or the other, but not both, sigh.

Thanks, this is helpful too.

TLCOhio - FAB pics! It is like out of a movie. Thank you. I will definitely ask questions in the future. We are looking at Fall 2013...after the heat of the summer.

cruisemom42: Pompeii is a distance and disappointing???

Appreciate Lisa's super nice and kind comments on my pictures. Lots more on these boards. Happy to post any specific ones that are needed for certain areas' date=' if I've been there.

[b']Agree with Cynthia that Pompeii is not too far and/or disappointing.[/b] YES, Capri is super wonderful, but I would not put down Pompeii and its spectacular history and sights.

The honest truth is that in and around Naples, Amalfi Coast, there is way, way too much to be done and enjoyed in only one cruise day there. Folks need to research and figure out their top priorities for what can be during such a limited time, plus deal with the logistics getting there and back. Lots of great, special potentials here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 56,755 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I know Princess offered private car tours, which were like many private operators. Than of course they offered private guides at an additional cost. They were if memory serves me correct about 2x what the same car cost if booked independent. If you go the private route you save 50% by booking independent, than if you share with say another 4-6 folks can drop your price to 100 euro/person or less, not including site guide.

I would highly highly suggest you consider tours share on your cruise with a few others for a pirvate operator. The value and experience for the Med is just HUGE compared to the big bus tours I saw during our port stops.

Thank you all...

Archived