Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

The anchor was not dropped. If it had been it would have held in the ship in one position once she had slowed to stop. She could not have drifted to the North East and then back onto the rocks.

The watertight doors do not require any power to be closed and yes, they would confine the flooding to the damaged compartmets... and this is exactly what took place and kept the ship mostly upright for quite a long time.

I was guessing but since I made that original post the Italian Coast Guard spokesperson confirmed they dropped anchor. That's why the ship ended up pointing south.

""There was a dangerous close approach which very probably caused the accident, although it will be for the investigation to establish that fully," coast guard spokesman Luciano Nicastro told SkyTG24. He said the captain then attempted a safety maneuver, setting anchor and bringing the ship closer to the shore to facilitate a rescue."

If you are looking for some pictures that I haven't seen mentioned before, go to this website. They have some taken by the onboard passengers, divers and the rescue personnel. Site is in Italian.

WOW, those pictures show that even on her side, she still had significant power. Her bridge is all lit up as well as exterior deck lighting. That is a good thing.

So glad to hear this great news! My friends are also safe, we have been emailing back and forth and they are tired, sad and empty however, they are alive which is the most important thing.

Also glad to hear!

I wonder if Cubella59 ever got in touch with their friend?

My DW and I desided that since we practice a exit strategy for our house if its on fire that we would do the same when we go on our next cruise. It only takes a few minutes. I also like the muster drills that take you out to where your life boat station is asigned.

Good idea but just make sure you look at the deckplans for crew stairwells that you can access in the event of an emergency. We usually sail in an aft facing balcony which is a long ways away from the nearest elevator lobby or stairwell that a passenger can use on a regular basis. There are 2 crew stairwells and a service elevator back in that area of the ship however. They are clearly marked to be used in case of an emergency and have emergency lighting on the floor that leads you to them.

Listen to all the passenger interviews. They state the lights either flickered or went out, then a boom was heard. With sound travelling at 340 meters/second at sea level, and electricity at almost the speed of light, it would make sense that an explosion in the engine room that caused the lights to go out would be heard after the lights went out but in fact happened before the lights went out. Speculation is that when the bridge was able to con, they headed towards shore and then hit the rocks.

There was only one confirmed event.

The rock is proof of that point, the electric failure occurred shortly after the damage to the vessel. Remeber you are hearing statements from passengers who had/have just been through a traumatic event and would have been in shock. Perception of time and events would be clouded, that together with lack of fact cannot confirm your view.

that's something i must remember :o

...or... i could pretend i'm one flabby mermaid that washed up on shore?

Me and you, both. Although, I'm pretty sure Mermaids aren't supposed to look like me! lol

Looking at those pics, I too am shocked it still had so much power even on it's side. That speaks a lot for the ship that it kept power that long. I am sure that was very helpful to those on board.

Originally Posted by Althearose

"Monique Maurek, 41, from the Netherlands, told The Sunday Telegraph: 'What scandalised me most was when I saw the captain spending much of the evening before we hit the rocks drinking in the bar with a beautiful woman on his arm."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1jY1tXbyq

I really don't like defending the captain right now as I've been convinced since yesterday's great multi-opinion post that this was navigational error and that he was derelict of duty. Anyway, unless the quoted passenger or others overheard the drink order or observed that the captain was over-served, how do they know that it was an alcoholic drink?

2:30: A 3rd person has been rescued from the Concordia. Manrico Giampedroni was the cabin service director. He got trapped inside after he was helping passengers escape, when suddenly the ship listed very hard and trapped him inside a half submerged restaurant. He waited there for over 48 hours.

http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/01/13/costaconcordia/

2:30: A 3rd person has been rescued from the Concordia. Manrico Giampedroni was the cabin service director. He got trapped inside after he was helping passengers escape, when suddenly the ship listed very hard and trapped him inside a half submerged restaurant. He waited there for over 48 hours.

Scary. Good to hear he's safe.

Wow. Incredible that he survived, and proud of him for helping as best he could. I wonder if he was in the same area as the two elderly gentleman that they found? It would make sense if they were all in that area and when it listed some went in the water (closer to the water) and some did not (further away or were able to grab hold of something fast enough) ... Maybe there will be others near him if it was a gathering point as it seems to have been. Let's hope.

My husband always teases you should never sleep naked just in case there is an emergency and you aren't forced to run outside in your birthday suit. :D

On the other hand, if you proceeded to the muster station naked, it is doubtful you could be ignored by crew members or crowded out by fellow passengers. :D

Praying for a safe return home for all those involved.

My DW and I desided that since we practice a exit strategy for our house if its on fire that we would do the same when we go on our next cruise. It only takes a few minutes. I also like the muster drills that take you out to where your life boat station is asigned.

There is a lot to be said for at least being familiar with the deck plans of your ship and for having some sense of the layout organized in your own head. It may not be in your own best interest to just "follow the herd" if you know of an alternate path to your destination, ie: when everyone else is rushing the main dining room doors...can you use an alternate exit?

I think that it's really best to wait till we get some official announcement of exactly what happened. I understand part of your theory. However, the diesel engines power more than one generator. The generators produce both lighting and power to the propellers. If one generator loses power, the ship has redundant back up generators, that are either "on line" or thru the Engineering room, could be brought on line.

So, I understand your theory, but, after all, at this point it's only a theory. I dislike speculation, as the black boxes are now recovered, and recorders being studied by all that have the power to do so.

Also, could the initial malfunction be similar to what the Carnival Splendor experienced in 2010 off of the Mexican Riviera. The two ships are sister ships, and both had electrical malfunctions, that set off a series of events. The Splendor was towed back to the United States.

My feeling is that it's time to wait to see what the officials state about the accident.;)

Rick

Rick just to clarify a point none of the above was stated by myself and appears to be either a failed attempt at quoting by Deckofficer or mischief

Regards:)

Google Translated Link to pictures divers have taken of the Concordia:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmultimedia.lastampa.it%2Fmultimedia%2Fin-italia%2Flstp%2F110602%2F

Its like looking at the Titanic movie.

I'm not even sure what I am looking at in a few of those. Wow. So scary.

On the other hand, if you proceeded to the muster station naked, it is doubtful you could be ignored by crew members or crowded out by fellow passengers. :D

Praying for a safe return home for all those involved.

Ain't that the truth.

Rick just to clarify a point none of the above was stated by myself and appears to be either a failed attempt at quoting by Deckofficer or mischief

Regards:)

It's because someone deleted one of the "QUOTE" tags. If you look at the top of those posts there is an open ended BCC code that looks like [ quote ] with no spaces. The way to fix it would be just to add a [ / quote ] with no spaces to the post before your reply as I have done OR to get rid of the second [ quote ] tag with the second name. :)

Google Translated Link to pictures divers have taken of the Concordia:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmultimedia.lastampa.it%2Fmultimedia%2Fin-italia%2Flstp%2F110602%2F

Its like looking at the Titanic movie.

So there is a "bit" of a hole on the starboard side then? Am I looking at these correctly, seeing the ships railing? That damage does not look like it would have occurred if the ship just rolled over......

I never said it happened because he was Italian.

I am so glad you wrote that because I have been sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out why all this viscousness has come your way. Your first post said what any honest person knows, and that is many large companies, including cruise lines, do things to minimize their costs and constraints for doing business, thus maximizing profits. Anyone who has cruised a lot, or sailed professionally knows just how many violations the cruise lines get hit with each year. To pretend otherwise is to be disingenuous.

I never once saw you assign any xenophobic or rude comments to anyone, despite many being sent your way. I had to go back and re-read everything just to be sure.

Folks, try reading what people say instead of reading INTO what they say. It says more about you then about them.

IMHO, this tragedy, as it has been unfolding on international television seems to have one constant and consistent theme: there is no good reason why this ship was where it was, there is no good reason why this ship has the damage it does, and the captain abandoned ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated, much less accounted for. That does not say much for him as either a captain or a person - every mariner in the seaside town I live in, condemns this man and no one would ever sail with him, hire him, or hold him in regard for this action - regardless of any others he may have taken that saved lives AFTER the initial accident.

The other constant thread from passengers being interviewed in English, Italian and German (languages which I understand and speak) are that the crew was NOT prepared, did not offer proper evacuation or emergency instructions, and that the in many, many cases, the passengers were left to their own devices both on board and on land. (This seems to be a 100% opposite reaction to how Carnival handled the fire on board one of their vessels a year or so ago. )

That people, both professional and pure lovers of cruising, posted thoughts on how, why, what, etc. were attacked and so much read into their comments seems sad to me.

Good idea but just make sure you look at the deckplans for crew stairwells that you can access in the event of an emergency. We usually sail in an aft facing balcony which is a long ways away from the nearest elevator lobby or stairwell that a passenger can use on a regular basis. There are 2 crew stairwells and a service elevator back in that area of the ship however. They are clearly marked to be used in case of an emergency and have emergency lighting on the floor that leads you to them.

There are so many excellent posts in this thread- I hate that there's no "like" button. I have learned a ton even from the disagreements.

So there is a "bit" of a hole on the starboard side then? Am I looking at these correctly, seeing the ships railing? That damage does not look like it would have occurred if the ship just rolled over......

Yes I think those are holes/damage on the starboard side. My guess is it either occured when she rolled onto her side near the rocks, or when she swung around on axis from where the anchor was dropped in an emergency. The boat still had momentum and it spun on axis so that it ended up facing south. When she swung around I'm wondering if she hit the rocks on that side too.

Archived