Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

One question I have is did the ship strike the rock and then alter course towards land, or after heading towards the island hit the rocks????

This is a question many of us were asking earlier, but it has been established the ship altered course toward the island of Giglio to intentionally sail close past as a demonstration, but struck rocks when it went much too close. It then slowed and turned around coming to rest facing south.

Hi, I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal and doing an article about the aftermath of the Costa Concordia sinking. I'm very curious to speak to folks about whether this incident has caused them to have second thoughts about future cruises, or not. If anyone would be open to speaking to me, please email me at arian.campo-flores@wsj.com. Thanks very much,

Arian Campo-Flores

Very simple - no. Most of the passengers off board, only time will tell but the current reporting seems to indicate poor judgement of course by the captain to do a sail-by the island, now, i imagine the courses of big ships will be much more closely monitored. But this kinda thing is very RARE, and it seems like majority of people survived thankfully.

Hi, I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal and doing an article about the aftermath of the Costa Concordia sinking. I'm very curious to speak to folks about whether this incident has caused them to have second thoughts about future cruises, or not. If anyone would be open to speaking to me, please email me at arian.campo-flores@wsj.com. Thanks very much,

Arian Campo-Flores

Did you ask permission of the mods here about posting this so that they can verify you really are Arian Campo-Flores?

That is correct. We boarded in BCN and did not get a muster drill as it had been done in Savona a few days earlier. We did have to report to the Londres room the next day for an "Emergency Drill" video/presentation by our Int'l Host- Sean (lol) but basically they just had us sign cards that we had viewed the video and understand emergency procedures and were on our way

This ship did 7 night cruises, but allowed boarding in 4 different ports (Savona, Marseilles, Barcelona, and Rome). So some people onboard would've boarded on 1/7 in Savona, then others in Marseilles and Barcelona throughout the week, but others boarded the day of the accident in Rome. The people that boarded in Savona, Marseilles, and Barcelona, would've already had a muster drill. But for those that boarded in Rome (the day of the accident), their muster drill was scheduled the next day in Savona where a majority of the guests board.

I'm not one for telling people how to do their jobs, but where are the forum moderators?

We seem poised to witness a food fight in what has been an otherwise informative and interesting thread discussing a real tragedy.

Yes, where indeed are the forum moderators when you really need them?

I've quietly been checking this thread for two days, and I've seen every ugly page: We have been privy to an unprecedented pissing match and hijacking for well over a thousand posts. That someone can register one day and have 65 or more posts in one thread the next makes my head spin.

This is not the Cruise Critic I thought it was to have allow this, especially in recognition of the grave circumstances. Many of us came here out of concern, and not out of some sick self appreciative self aggrandizement. I admittedly have stayed for the circus when I should have long walked away, but Cruise Critic usually was a good place to get a certain perspective.

Did you ask permission of the mods here about posting this so that they can verify you really are Arian Campo-Flores?

I don' t know if permission is needed, but unless the poster works at the Wall Street Journal (wsj.com), they won't get any responses to the address given. Yes, you can spoof addresses so messages look like they come from somewhere else....but it's pretty hard to intercept mail for a specific individual at a company without access to their servers. I'm very confident that the poster is who they say they are.....

Removed from what site? It's still on Costa's site. I pulled it up just before posting this.

Which site (US or UK) because I don't see her listed anywhere.

Edited to add: Found the ship using the link posted above.. thanks

This is a question many of us were asking earlier, but it has been established the ship altered course toward the island of Giglio to intentionally sail close past as a demonstration, but struck rocks when it went much too close. It then slowed and turned around coming to rest facing south.

Hi Pelican,

I think that Costa's official announcement has started to clear that up.

Bruce

The route of the vessel appears to have been too close to the shore, and in handling the emergency the captain appears not to have followed standard Costa procedures.

This article (if accurate) appears to support the earlier contention here that the Captain of the Costa ship deviated from the normal course to sail-by and salute Giglio Island as he had done in the past. The article reports that folks from the island had gathered to watch the sail-by.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9016774/Italy-cruise-ship-disaster-did-island-sail-past-put-ship-on-course-for-disaster.html

It now appears the captain had a friend on the island of Giglio and got too close when sending his greeting. This sheds light on the official Costa statement IMHO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9016769/Cruise-disaster-Captain-neared-Italian-rocks-to-greet-friend-on-shore.html

Cruise disaster: Captain 'neared Italian rocks to greet friend on shore’

The captain of the stricken cruise liner, Costa Concordia, was accused on Sunday night of deliberately steering the ship "too close" to a rocky shore in order to send a greeting signal to someone on the Italian island of Giglio.

That's very interesting... I've never heard of that before.

We haven't either - but the point I'm trying to make is: Costa is obviously safety conscious (at least with regards to their Caribbean cruises), and they are not - like some posters imply - disregarding muster drills!

I would also like to add that the crew we came in contact with acted very professional. How would they act in an emergency? Who knows? How does anybody act in an emergency?????

Anne

Archived