Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

So this might already have been shared here. But I read a news report this morning that the Maitr'd on Concordia is from Giglio, that the captain alerted the Maitr'd that they were planning to skirt really close by his island and to come see. The Maitr'd's sister posted it as her status on facebook:

From FB:

Patrizia Tievoli

Tra poco passerà vicina vicina la Concordia di Costa Crociere, un salutone al mio fratello che a Savona finalmente sbarcherà, per godersi un po' di vacanza!!!

""Shortly the Costa Concordia will pass really, really close, a big hello to my brother who will disembark at Savona and finally get to enjoy some holiday.''

Nice.

This has been reported on Sky News website as part of one of their stories headlined 'Captain skims Giglio stunt' or similar. If this is true, it's very damning evidence. When I first read this theory yesterday I thought that no one was so stupid or foolhardy. Well I got that wrong.

I'm sure many heads will roll, and so they should.

Peter

Are the guys on the video struggling to find a way to the life boats? ("we have to go down and then up"). If so, that is indeed scary as hell!:eek:

How many passengers must have been totally lost and without instructions?

I know I have seen that video before and it wasn't from this incident. I am terrible at searching on youtube but I am pretty sure it was a broken pipe or a pool issue. I am trying to find it but the author of that just posted this today is a new user on youtube so it could be someone trying to spoof again.

The industry has been aware of that scenario since "Andrea Doria" 1956.

Earlier than that - Lusitania had the same problem in 1915 - with much more gruesome results - the lifeboats that were swinging into the ship were released, then crashed on to the deck crushing and sweeping the waiting passengers before them, piling up in a bloody mess by the bridge.....all in 18 minutes....

I don't think that is from the Concordia. It looks like it is some other ship that either had a water leak, or the water from the pool coming down the stairs. I believe I have seen this before.

That'd be the pool flooding on the Carnival Paradise on the 16th of May, 2009.

Thank you, I knew I had seen that video before.

Edit: Here is the original from 2009

Definitely NOT Concordia

.. as much as some want to protect the industry, and not jump to conclusions, I think we can safely say that we know what happened...

One Man... and his need to be macho and proud, and to show off... has caused a deep tragedy. especially for those whose lives are lost and their families.

It goes so deep... one action by one man, is going to result in the so much outfall... so much collateral damage.

...and yes, it does shake my confidence in the industry. The apparent lack of ability for the crew to respond calmly and make sure all passengers were not only off the ship, but accounted for is very concerning.

Perhaps the industry needs to run more realistic drill scenarios with their crews, to help offset the potential for confusion...

In any event.. this is a shocking occurrence... shocking... that a Captain of a cruise ship could make such a foolhardy decision and then execute it n such an irresponsible manner.

It should never have happened.

quote Rubbrick...

I'm also sad to see that someone is using a simulator, when within days, the correct information will be fed into a computer system, to show exactly what happened.

The speculation of some is interesting. Deckofficer now states that he is not familiar with modern bridges. So, I'm not sure why he would want to share a system that he himself is not totally familiar with.

Again, there are still people missing, and that should be the main point that everyone is striving for.......to account for the missing, hopefully alive and not dead.

Rick

Unquote. (what's with the quote problems???)

Rick,

I don't think it was just a simulator. I get a gut feeling that someone with the onboard electronics took that route with a different ship to try and get a forum screen shot recreation.

In any event, simulator or recreation, it seemed implied from the post that it was a secret screenshot of the actual Concordia.

If I am failing to understand the intentions of the poster of the ECDIS/ECINS screenshots , someone enlighten me.:(

For the poster of that to claim his credentials, and then not know what it was all about is a farce.

.. as much as some want to protect the industry, and not jump to conclusions, I think we can safely say that we know what happened...

One Man... and his need to be macho and proud, and to show off... has caused a deep tragedy. especially for those whose lives are lost and their families.

I don't think we can say that at all. Yes, the Captain has ultimate responsibility, but we cannot at this stage say that this disaster was driven by a need to be macho, proud or to show off.

I know I have seen that video before and it wasn't from this incident. I am terrible at searching on youtube but I am pretty sure it was a broken pipe or a pool issue. I am trying to find it but the author of that just posted this today is a new user on youtube so it could be someone trying to spoof again.

I remember this. It is some Carnival ship pool issue. One of the Fantasy class ships, but I don't remember which one.

I have to say that this terrible tragedy has shaken my faith in cruise ship safety.

I've lost count of the times I've countered friends arguments as to their fears about the safety aspects of cruise ships with 'oh they are totally safe.'

Not any more will I argue with those that are put off cruising by fear of sinking.

I'm seriously doubtful about cruising again whatever the cruise line. If I as a confirmed cruise lover am having doubts, what about others who have never cruised?

I know that cruising is not for everyone and I never try to dissuade people who don't care to cruise - for whatever reason. Nor would I blame anyone who really cannot cruise after hearing about this incident, whether they are cruise lovers or people who have never gone.

We will definitely cruise again. But....I suspect I am not alone in making some changes about my own planning and behavior as a result of this incident. In the same way that 911 changed how I view myself as an airline passenger and some of the personal responsibility I now feel to partner with the crew in an emergency, I will absolutely change how I view myself as a cruise passenger and my own responsibilities there. My husband and I always have a conversation about our expectations of the vacation, usually on the way to the airport. We (re-)make an implicit agreement every time about our priorities, talk about safety in port, review the situation we're leaving behind at home, and make conscious decisions about our trip. I expect there will be a little more to those conversations now.

But, here's where I'm a bit shaken: How can I, as a passenger, tell the difference between a Commander who is an incredible organizational leader and one that is a really handsome handshaker?

quote Rubbrick...

I'm also sad to see that someone is using a simulator, when within days, the correct information will be fed into a computer system, to show exactly what happened.

The speculation of some is interesting. Deckofficer now states that he is not familiar with modern bridges. So, I'm not sure why he would want to share a system that he himself is not totally familiar with.

Again, there are still people missing, and that should be the main point that everyone is striving for.......to account for the missing, hopefully alive and not dead.

Rick

Unquote. (what's with the quote problems???)

Rick,

I don't think it was just a simulator. I get a gut feeling that someone with the onboard electronics took that route with a different ship to try and get a forum screen shot recreation.

In any event, simulator or recreation, it seemed implied from the post that it was a secret screenshot of the actual Concordia.

If I am failing to understand the intentions of the poster of the ECDIS/ECINS screenshots , someone enlighten me.:(

For the poster of that to claim his credentials, and then not know what it was all about is a farce.

I do believe the poster indicated it was pulled off another board and he could not verify the accuracy.

According to the t-online news and Carnival Corp. the ship will be out of order until November 30,2012, or longer - so it could well be that the ship will be recovered - and remember: many years ago, RCCL's Legend set on the ground as well and has been recovered, the Pride of America sank during her building period and now she sails and nobody remembers this accident.

Also think of the burning down of Sapphire Princess during her building period.

So don't be pessimistic, the reports of t-online and Carnival Corp. give hints that Costa Concordia could be recovered... ;)

Obscure,

What part of post #1647 did you feel that I didn't explain "not a verified source?" But a little food for thought, considering the OP on my forum that posted the images, there is a sliver of a chance they were obtained in a clandestine manner. Since you are so good at researching anything related to cruising, why don't you check your sources and see if the date and time for a future waypoint coincides with any of the future port's arrival times?

I do believe the poster indicated it was pulled off another board and he could not verify the accuracy.

At best, misleading.

According to the t-online news and Carnival Corp. the ship will be out of order until November 30,2012, or longer - so it could well be that the ship will be recovered - and remember: many years ago, RCCL's Legend set on the ground as well and has been recovered, the Pride of America sank during her building period and now she sails and nobody remembers this accident.

Also think of the burning down of Sapphire Princess during her building period.

So don't be pessimistic, the reports of t-online and Carnival Corp. give hints that Costa Concordia could be recovered... ;)

The more she slips down lower the more damage, she could be recovered but will she stay?

No, he just said he was sharing without comments.

And without comments (such as : what are we looking at, where is it coming from, what is the source, what is it supposed to prove), these screenshots are totally useless (and besides, it is highly likely they come from a simulation software, since the data indicates they were taken on January 16th).

Wishing all the passengers and their familes peace after experiencing this tragedy. Here is a scenerio we NEVER anticipate while we all muster in an orderly fashion! HALF the lifeboats not accessible! And the half that are, nearly impossible to lower! Horrible. I wonder if the industry will address this design flaw.

The industry already addressed this by moving the location of the lifeboats from the topmost deck to the middle. Judging by the pictures I have seen, all starboard lifeboats were launched and all but 3 of the port lifeboats. Of the 3 that remain, it appears they were deployed as the davits are extended. They seem to have not been able to be launched as they settled back into the side of the ship possibly after the list got too severe.

The ship does not need all the lifeboats as they have the inflatable rafts as well with all of them able to hold double the amount of souls on board.

Watched for the third-straight day as this tragedy off the Italian Coast was the lead story on the 7 am NBC Today Show, interviewing those who survived, etc. YES, the lawyers have to be amazed by the way that the Carnival/Costa management has dumped on and distanced themselves from THEIR Captain. They, however, promoted him (rather quickly) to be in charge of a large ship like this one and should have been monitoring his performance.

From the respected Reuters newswire within 15 minutes ago this morning, they have this headline: "Carnival and cruise sector count cost of disaster" with these highlights: "The cruise ship industry faces an uphill task to restore confidence among customers spooked by spectacular images of the stricken Costa Concordia flipped on its side and could suffer a major hit to sales in a key booking period. Carnival, the owner of the cruise ship that capsized off Italy's west coast, said it alone expected to take a hit of around $90 million from Friday's accident just as a result of the boat being out of use for the rest of the year. 'The long-term consequences for the cruise industry could be significant. This accident could have a significant impact in terms of trading because we're in the peak-season for reservations,' said Natixis analyst Geoffrey d'Halluin. The first quarter is a critical booking period across the tourism industry and the images are unlikely to encourage holidaymakers already facing tough economic headwinds to opt for a cruise."

Interesting article with many good question for the overall industry. The media images for this tragedy are not pretty or re-assuring. This was a very modern ship with the latest in all of the navigation tools, etc. Being such a large ship, it should have had the "best of the best" for staffing, leadership on this ship.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Carnival Corporation were, up to this morning (Monday 16th Jan 2012) in grave danger of being tarred with the same brush as Costa over this. The ensueing court cases and compensation could run into billions, if not trillions of Dollars. Stocks could tumble today on all cruise line shares around the world.

The statements issued last night from the CEO of Costa has stopped that by blaming the captain for everything. Therefore Costa Line themselves will probably go under instead of a threat to the Carnival Corporation. As the employer of the captain and officers they are ultimately responsible for his actions. The poor man will live with this for the rest of his life and no doubt spend the best part of it in jail. Costa will minimise the damage to the company during the trial, but this is not like a cruise ship hitting a dock or something similar - it is or a par with the sinking of the Titanic!

Some of those people that have booked one of the three cruises that are comemmorating the 100th Anniversary in April of the sinking of the Titanic and are sailing the exact route of the stricken ship, may now be thinking twice!

Eighteen months ago a huge iceburg the size of Manhattan broke off of Greenland and is heading down towards the Atlantic!!!!!!!

Already, cruise booking agents have received hundreds of cancellations on cruises not associated with Costa. Over 10 million people worldwide book cruises each year and January is the month when most bookings are made. For those that are not scared by this, 2012 will be the cheapest year ever to book a cruise.

Excellent, scary point, TheBestIsYetToCOme -

It is scary to think that when you step on a ship, you are putting your life into the hands of a captain whose credentials/good sense you do not know.

That said, you do the same every time you fly. Or get in taxi. Or a bus.

I guess the best you can do is trust that this is an unlikely outcome, and then make yourself as knowledgable about what you YOURSELF can do for your own protection in the event that such an unlikely scenario happens.

We are dragging my sister on a cruise this May (she is not keen on the idea of being at sea), and I keep hoping she is not watching the news!

Russian TV footage (Novosti, Channel 1) today taken by some of the 100 Russian passengers of yellow lifejacketed crew members, Filipinos, pushing passengers out of the way and swarming the life boats.

Looks like a total breakdown of command from top to bottom.

The industry already addressed this by moving the location of the lifeboats from the topmost deck to the middle. Judging by the pictures I have seen, all starboard lifeboats were launched and all but 3 of the port lifeboats. Of the 3 that remain, it appears they were deployed as the davits are extended. They seem to have not been able to be launched as they settled back into the side of the ship possibly after the list got too severe.

The ship does not need all the lifeboats as they have the inflatable rafts as well with all of them able to hold double the amount of souls on board.

I saw the pictures from the starboard side that showed all lifeboats on that side had deployed. Also, I read one account somewhere that a woman was on the last lifeboat that left that side and people were left behind.

More alarming to me are the reports that many of the boats were almost empty.

Excellent, scary point, TheBestIsYetToCOme -

It is scary to think that when you step on a ship, you are putting your life into the hands of a captain whose credentials/good sense you do not know.

That said, you do the same every time you fly. Or get in taxi. Or a bus.

I guess the best you can do is trust that this is an unlikely outcome, and then make yourself as knowledgable about what you YOURSELF can do for your own protection in the event that such an unlikely scenario happens.

We are dragging my sister on a cruise this May (she is not keen on the idea of being at sea), and I keep hoping she is not watching the news!

Absolutely! But, I think the (no pun intended) chilling things for me are (1) the scale of chaos that can result from a disaster involving over 4000 people and (2) the thoughts of an emergency of this magnitude taking place much further out to sea.

If the Captain was going off course to wave to his friends on the island, where were the other officers on the bridge? Surely, someone must have identified the risk and had objection! On a naval ship there is a chain of command, don't civilian ships have a similar structure? If a captain is putting the ship and it's occupants in danger, they can disobey the order. Yes, they may have to face the consequences later, but alert personnel on the bridge should have taken over command.

Archived