Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I may get flammed for this, but all day I have been thinking about his wife, daughter, family. How on earth are they dealing with this? Do you stand by your man? Do you wait and see? She must feel so alone, and helpless. The thought of being trapped in a house, with him. Under house arrest.. What do you do, make him coffee.... :( does she go to the market.

His actions, his ego, his muchisimo have ruined so many lives.

His leaving the ship was the end of a trail of incompetence that cost the lives of many people... He had an obligation to do what was right for the ship, the passengers and the crew... he ditched all of it in favor of personal glory... he should have manned up and made sure everyone got off the ship safely.. he had plenty of time and squandered it being indecisive....

,...and you are darn right we are on a rampage..!!! are you suggesting there is ANY reason at this stage not to be?

..given what we know?... how bad it is known to be?.... how much worse it is likely to really be once we know it all? do you think anyone cares anything at all about what his penalty is other than he never sees the light of day again?

Wow....we have the man convicted and I guess there will be a hanging on Saturday. No need to wait for the facts. The wild wild west is still alive....yahooooo!!!!!

Carnival Corporation & plc Chairman and CEO Statement Regarding Costa Concordia

MIAMI, Jan. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- 4:45 pm EST -- This statement is from Micky Arison, chairman and CEO of Carnival Corporation & plc, parent company of Costa Cruises.

We are deeply saddened by the reports of additional deaths following the grounding of the Costa Concordia. On behalf of the entire Carnival Corp...oration & plc team, I offer our heartfelt condolences to all of those families affected by this tragedy.

Our immediate priority continues to be supporting rescue and recovery efforts and looking after our guests and crew members, along with securing the vessel to ensure there is no environmental impact. My senior management team and I have been in continuous contact with the Costa executive team in Italy and we have our senior level technical experts on the ground to provide additional support for this tragic and highly unusual incident.

While this is a terribly sad time for everyone involved, we want to recognize the tremendous efforts of Concordia’s crew, who along with the Italian Coast Guard and authorities, helped to evacuate more than 4,000 passengers and crew members from the ship in very difficult conditions. And we continue to offer our deep gratitude to the Italian authorities for their support and ongoing efforts.

What you have from the De Falco/Schettino conversation is De Falco's view that Schettino was violating the law by abandoning the ship....that does not mean that the law was broken...just that De Falco thought it was. It would be interesting to see how the law is written....certainly I can see a situation where the captain is cut off from what is happening and gets in a lifeboat to see (not in this situation...just an example). So the question of what "abandoning ship" means in the Italian law is a valid one.

Your "definition" is obviously your point of view.

And what your going to find out is that the abandoning of ship law was broken by Schettino.

AND......He is a Lying, Egotistical, Coward !!! :cool:

His leaving the ship was the end of a trail of incompetence that cost the lives of many people... He had an obligation to do what was right for the ship, the passengers and the crew... he ditched all of it in favor of personal glory... he should have manned up and made sure everyone got off the ship safely.. he had plenty of time and squandered it being indecisive....

,...and you are darn right we are on a rampage..!!! are you suggesting there is ANY reason at this stage not to be?

..given what we know?... how bad it is known to be?.... how much worse it is likely to really be once we know it all? do you think anyone cares anything at all about what his penalty is other than he never sees the light of day again?

Well said Jason. My personal opinion is that he eloped because he was afraid of getting some punch in the face by some 'passionate' italian still on board (mind you, I am italian....).

And yes, Milaandra, he took a taxi on the island to get as far as he could from the port ... that says it all!

I may get flammed for this, but all day I have been thinking about his wife, daughter, family. How on earth are they dealing with this? Do you stand by your man? Do you wait and see? She must feel so alone, and helpless. The thought of being trapped in a house, with him. Under house arrest.. What do you do, make him coffee.... :( does she go to the market.

His actions, his ego, his muchisimo have ruined so many lives.

They could just walk away and manage better from a distance.

It's not like they would be "abandoning" him.:rolleyes:

I just saw on CBS 2 out of NYC that they are going to be interviewing a couple from NJ who were on the ship. From the previews they mentioned something about a car ferry. They'll probably have that interview up on their website around 8pm local time tonight (about 3 hours from now). Not sure if I'll be able to watch it live.

I'm Italian and as first i would like to say i'm indignated for the shame the ship's captain, Francesco Schettino has put all over us, we are not like him, we are accurate on what we do..

Take pride in the people of your country who opened their homes to the survivors on the night of the tragedy and those who continue to search for survivors. The actions of this man do not represent the character of your nation.

Dear Canadian Karebear,

when I started the thread, here in Italy, all media was announcing the event exactly like I reported.

Now the links in my first post are redirected to updated articles but at that time all ANSA said " no victims ".

So, I simply expresed my condolences ( "my thought and prayers to..." ), no more.

That's all.

It wasn't my purpose to give inaccurate news or false hopes, but only follow the tragic event and share the information coming from Italy with you all. Eventually forgive me anyhow.

ItalianGuest

PS Sorry for my poor English

There is no need for apologies Italian Guest. There weren't many of us awake at the time of the breaking news but it happened to be daylight here in Australia when it broke, and you were one of the few on the spot with info. There was very little info on the news stations until the rest of the world woke up. You tried to help one of the posters here find his girlfriend who was on board. The post by that poster was not appropriate and very out of context.

It's over.

Everything that caused this event is over and done; all that is left is to clean up the mess and learn from the consequences. Some say that "safety rules are written in blood" because rules and processes are typically set in stone until a disaster comes along and causes them to be examined under the light of new circumstances.

Of course, the ship itself was not at fault. We learned long ago how to design reliable ships. Radar, GPS, and Sonar were put on ships to reduce the types of maritime accidents that have happened for thousands of years. Our ships have become floating cities of high technology, replete with redundancy of every kind. However, people haven't changed much. *One guy* has unintentionally caused death and destruction to the tune of a billion dollars, then responded poorly, while the crew in a position to prevent or rectify the situation was paralyzed by custom and awaited his instructions.

Our systems and organizations must be designed so that *one guy* cannot do this.

As with most modern disasters, what we have here are multiple issues. Most of these issues are related to human factors. Perhaps the rulebook needs to be revised as follows:

1) External supervision of large passenger liners or critical cargo

The captain is always in charge. But as with air traffic, perhaps certain ships should be "followed" by controllers who advise the crew of potential conflicts with land or other vessels and will report deviations to the appropriate authorities. This will reduce the motivation for "buzzing the island"

2) Command culture and crew resource management. As has been stated elsewhere in this forum, borrow some ideas from aviation so that senior members of the crew can question the captain under appropriate circumstances.

3) Personel Reliability / Stress Management. The military does the fine job of simulating stressful situations so that people can function according to their training despite outside distractions. Perhaps a "hell week" "perisher" "crucible" type of training could be require to attain the "super passenger ship master" license.

Jeff

Wow....we have the man convicted and I guess there will be a hanging on Saturday. No need to wait for the facts. The wild wild west is still alive....yahooooo!!!!!

You bet it is.....This little guy is going away for a long time !!! Yipppeee:cool:

It's over.

Everything that caused this event is over and done; all that is left is to clean up the mess and learn from the consequences. Some say that "safety rules are written in blood" because rules and processes are typically set in stone until a disaster comes along and causes them to be examined under the light of new circumstances.

Of course, the ship itself was not at fault. We learned long ago how to design reliable ships. Radar, GPS, and Sonar were put on ships to reduce the types of maritime accidents that have happened for thousands of years. Our ships have become floating cities of high technology, replete with redundancy of every kind. However, people haven't changed much. *One guy* has unintentionally caused death and destruction to the tune of a billion dollars, then responded poorly, while the crew in a position to prevent or rectify the situation was paralyzed by custom and awaited his instructions.

Our systems and organizations must be designed so that *one guy* cannot do this.

As with most modern disasters, what we have here are multiple issues. Most of these issues are related to human factors. Perhaps the rulebook needs to be revised as follows:

The captain is always in charge. But as with air traffic, perhaps certain ships should be "followed" by controllers who advise the crew of potential conflicts with land or other vessels and will report deviations to the appropriate authorities. This will reduce the motivation for "buzzing the island"

2) Command culture and crew resource management. As has been stated elsewhere in this forum, borrow some ideas from aviation so that senior members of the crew can question the captain under appropriate circumstances.

3) Personel Reliability / Stress Management. The military does the fine job of simulating stressful situations so that people can function according to their training despite outside distractions. Perhaps a "hell week" "perisher" "crucible" type of training could be require to attain the "super passenger ship master" license.

Jeff

You wouldn't be saying that if it was one of your loved ones still missing!

We work in nautical miles, cables, fathoms etc. not feet, meters or yards. There would be no mistake other than those made by the Officer in command, the Captain.

In 32 yrs of marine life I have never ever heard feet or meters given in a command/order

Gordon

The only time that "meters" is used is by the crew, stationed on the bow, stern, or any other part of the ship deemed necessary, by the Captain, to check distances from the ship to objects, when in port, docking or leaving the dock. This helps both the Captain and Pilot in very tight maneuvers. Once the ship is underway, and the Captain has announced that those crew members can stand down, the word meters will not be used again until the ship has reached the next port.

A great example of how the word "meters" is also used, can be found as markers on buildings or the pier, giving the distance in "meters" until the bridge wing is at a "0" point.

The Captain will never give a command in "meters", only understand how many meters he has to work with in maneuvering his vessel, in tight spaces in port, never in open waters.;)

Rick

This is my (poor) translation Italian-to-English of an article which was published in the Italian newspaper "La Repubblica" today 17.01.12. IF these allegations are true : this indicates a WHOLE new ballgame.....

concernedcostaemployee , thanks for the article and translation. If this is true, then Bosio should be commended for ordering the evacuation, even though he may have broken the chain of command. However, we now know that the captain was clearly not fit for command at the time.

Someone asked if there was a map or something to show the previous route(s) for this same course for the Costa Concordia.

I found one

first is dated 6 January 2012 yellow line is the route taken on 6 January. Red Line speaks for itself but is 13 January's course.

06-Jan-2012_costa_concordia_route_464.jpg.d80fcf29243454625ccf2347be11f821.jpg

2nd is the fatal cruise 13 January 2012

13-Jan-2012costa_concordia_ais1.jpg.599ab5d8d894949c1032f258f5a253ae.jpg

WAY off course.

Joanie

It's over.

Jeff

Jeff excellent recommendations to the cruise industry.Hope they get the ideas:) & implement them.

Another danger that may result from the Captain's outrageous behavior is that passengers will begin to fear that cruise ship captains are not be willing to inform them of any real danger they encounter...resulting in passengers and even crew creating spontaneous "do-it-yourself" emergency procedures. The nagging concern about whether a captain has only his own interests at work will damage the credibility of *all* cruise ship captains.

You have identified the issue that directly affects the people reading cruise critic. Has this Captain destroyed any trust we have for the officers in charge of the ships we sail with in the future?

concernedcostaemployee , thanks for the article and translation. If this is true, then Bosio should be commended for ordering the evacuation, even though he may have broken the chain of command. However, we now know that the captain was clearly not fit for command at the time.

Agreed, Basio and the junior officers deserve a medal : it seems that they may, if this all turns out to be true, be responsible for saving many lives. Let's see how the investigation progresses. And pray that, at this level of seriousness, no cover-up or greedy corporate interference is possible.

I am not going back over 60 pages :p

But apparently Captain is now saying.."we were catapulted off the side when the ship began listing" ??:rolleyes:

Ok..edited ..It was the Virginia couple and they said they were on board 3 days before there was a drill.

I am not going back over 60 pages :p

But apparently Captain is now saying.."we were catapulted off the side when the ship began listing" ??:rolleyes:

Hmm...then how did some CG personnel and even some pax climb back up to rescue others?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Archived