Costa Ship grounded or sinking

cdamion

Hi All

Media reports that an American retired couple are listed as missing.

yours Shogun

Yes.. It has been reported since late Sat a retired couple from Minnesota are still reported missing. Their children said that they have saved for this once of a lifetime cruise after raising 5 children....:(

CC

Interesting video posted over on Costa board showing a close passy by of Giglio by the Costa Concordia on a previous sailing.

http://video.corriere.it/nave-concordia-al-giglio-/9dfa5ea6-3e9b-11e1-8b52-5f77182bc574

Just read a report that Costa officials stated the captain was not on the approved route unbeknownst to them and he had done this before. Apparently, the reason for the course deviation was to blow the ship's horn and wave to friends on the island waiting to see the ship pass by. I truly hope this report is completely false. I cannot believe this accident could have been caused by anything so inane. This report must be wrong.

Just read a report that Costa officials stated the captain was not on the approved route unbeknownst to them and he had done this before. Apparently, the reason for the course deviation was to blow the ship's horn and wave to friends on the island waiting to see the ship pass by. I truly hope this report is completely false. I cannot believe this accident could have been caused by anything so inane. This report must be wrong.

I agree, what a terrible reason to put your passengers and crew in danger. This appears to be a case of ego and grandiosity run amok. And unfortunately it appears it is likely true based on statements already provided to Italian authorities by both crew and island residents who support that this was a frequent practice to "buzz" the island to delight the people and tourists there and say "hello" to former officers now living in Giglio.

Very disheartening to think people lost their lives because of this silly and dangerous practice.

For Costa to so quickly distance themselves from the Captain, I have to think that there is much we don't know. What has been speculated is pretty shocking, but there must be evidence for the company to make such a strong statement. I hope and pray that they do find more survivors. This is such a terrible tragedy that seemingly could have been avoided.

Yes.. It has been reported since late Sat a retired couple from Minnesota are still reported missing. Their children said that they have saved for this once of a lifetime cruise after raising 5 children....:(

CC

That is really sad. I understand that four of the people missing are from Germany.

For Costa to so quickly distance themselves from the Captain, I have to think that there is much we don't know. What has been speculated is pretty shocking, but there must be evidence for the company to make such a strong statement. I hope and pray that they do find more survivors. This is such a terrible tragedy that seemingly could have been avoided.

I hope that's the case. I was very surprised that Costa came out with the statement so soon but then again right now they and Carnival Corporation are also worried about more than just that ship. Damage control 101.

Another very enlightening article on the decision to recognize a crew member by taking a "bow" at his home island. Very interesting and disturbing read.

http://www.corriere.it/english/12_gennaio_16/disaster-caused-sail-past-manoeuvre_6c1da704-4052-11e1-a5d2-75a8a88b1277.shtml

If there is truth in this (and I say "if" because Italian journalists are prone to...er....exaggerate the truth), it seems sadly senseless for this to have happened.

Can't really say if it is true or not, but if you go to the Costa board there is a first-hand account of what happened AFTER they got ashore. It sounds like it was chaos and perhaps that might be why so many are unaccounted for. At least I hope that is the situation and they aren't really lost.

On the NCL board a crew member gave a very good explanation of why meeting in a theater or other place away from the lifeboats is good. If some of the life boat stations aren't usable, the crew can direct people to alternate locations. Makes sense, but I still would think that panic would cancel out all plans.

I agree, what a terrible reason to put your passengers and crew in danger. This appears to be a case of ego and grandiosity run amok. And unfortunately it appears it is likely true based on statements already provided to Italian authorities by both crew and island residents who support that this was a frequent practice to "buzz" the island to delight the people and tourists there and say "hello" to former officers now living in Giglio.

Very disheartening to think people lost their lives because of this silly and dangerous practice.

I agree, very unfortunate that the captain could make this decision alone, and endanger everyone on board. Are the other senior officers not allowed to voice a disagreement with going off course and perhaps override the captain?

Another very enlightening article on the decision to recognize a crew member by taking a "bow" at his home island. Very interesting and disturbing read.

http://www.corriere.it/english/12_gennaio_16/disaster-caused-sail-past-manoeuvre_6c1da704-4052-11e1-a5d2-75a8a88b1277.shtml

On the home page of cruise critic there is a photo of the Concordia with a place to click to "get the latest news". If you click on that, there are several videos of the disaster you can watch (one of the videos was taken by a passenger on the ship). The second video on the list is 1:25 minutes long and shows a video of the Concordia sailing by Giglio Island in August 2011. The video was taken by someone on Giglio Island. It shows the ship sailing very close to the harbor entrance and tooting its horn several times as it passes by and you can hear people whistling and calling to the ship as it passes at night.

The article I read stated it was a longstanding practice (years) for the Concordia to "buzz" the island. It started years ago as a way for one of the senior officers to greet his wife who lived on the island. The article also stated that the mayor of the island had posted on his website last year about a buzz by of the Concordia and he stated how exciting and what fantastic entertainment it was for the islanders when the captain did this.

Italian investigators are working on the theory that the £390million vessel sailed close to the island of Giglio to greet an officer from the Italian merchant navy who was friendly with those on the Concordia.

Reports in Italy said that investigators had identified the man on shore and he would be questioned as part of the inquiry into the incident.

Last August the vessel passed close to the island sounding its whistle – prompting the mayor to send a congratulatory email to the captain for providing such a "spectacle to tourists" and "fantastic entertainment".

Prosecutors described Schettino’s handling of the giant craft as "inept" and he was forced to deny additional damaging claims that he left the ship to save himself, had been spotted in the bar and even raided the safe before leaving.:mad:

"Unfortunately I don't have my nametag to photograph, because I lost at sea, along with my camera! My name is Katia Keyvanian, I am The GSM (Guest Service Manager) embarked on the 13th of January to substitute my colleague on the Concordia. I can write only a few lines, as I have a train to catch to go home! I would love to be invited by Giletti, Mentana, Vinci and all the other journalists, who without knowledge of the facts and who without verifying their sources, only write nonsense! I wish I could respond to the flood of nonsense and lies that have been said! But for now, until I can say more I can only say this; 'We evacuated 4000 people in the dark, with the ship inclined on it's side, in less than two hours! Those who are "incompetent" are not able to do this.

It is not true that the captain was first to leave the ship. I was on the last boat and he remained attached to the railing of deck 3, while the ship was sinking. Shame on you incompetent journalists who wrote that he was the first to leave! I was on the lifeboat, that was sailing away and about to be crushed by the hoist of the sinking ship, which was about to break through our roof. We pulled a lot of guests into the lifeboat who had ended up in the sea, and as we undressed a girl in wet clothes to cover her with a blanket, a guest filmed us with his phone! Shame on you!

We executed a rescue operation at sea, and as we pulled another gentleman out of the water, me with a rope tied around my wrist for more strength to pull him up, another man was taking pictures! Shame on you! we had to manage a flock of sheep in jeopardy and then are told that we were incompetent?! Shame on you! While I was inclined to release people who were pushing and screaming, one by one into the boat, a large man who was obviously a passenger smoked a cigarette. When I asked "What the **** are you doing smoking a cigarette in this state, in the dark, with fuel that could come out of the boat?!" and his response was "I need it for stress.

I have one thing more to add, before I miss my train ......... We worked for the guests, to save them, to take them to safety, if they are saved, it is only thanks to us alone, all the crew, who did everything. We do not want to be thanked, NO, we have only done our duty, but we do not want to hear all the nonsense, lies, and more lies, just to give you the "scoop" of these so called broadcasts.

4000 PEOPLE IN TWO HOURS, IN THE DARK ... with the ship tilted, we took them WE, THE STAFF CONCORDIA TO SHORE. They did not go themselves in buckets and shovels themselves to the shore! We brought them!!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the residents of Isola del Giglio, the mayor, who came on board, to verify the situation, (not knowing who he was because he did not have a life jacket!) Thank you with all my heart all, al...l the islanders who worked for all of us, with maximum availability, giving us their colorful blankets, some even knitted of crochet, looking for cell phone chargers, and so much more. Thanks to all of them. Now I'm off to catch a train and go home. See you soon. Oh, I forgot .... one more thing I would like to say "Shame on you!!""

Thanks Windsor, for what you and the crew did. So many folks are looking for sensational stories and news to get headlines. You did and wrote the right headlines!

Prayers to you and all that were part of this accident- even the captain. Cruising offers so much to so many. Too bad that so many prefer to point out the bad over the good. But yes, a tragedy that may have been avoided has occurred. So grateful that so many were rescued with little or no injury.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9018869/Cruise-disaster-captain-neared-rocks-in-Facebook-stunt-for-friends-family.html

In a pre-planned stunt advertised on Facebook, captain of The Concordia, Francesco Schettino, sailed perilously close to the coast of Giglio so that the ship's head waiter could salute his family on land.Minutes before the cruise ship hit the rocks, the waiter's sister Patrizia Tievoli had posted on Facebook that: 'In a short period of time the Concordia ship will pass very close. A big greeting to my brother who finally get to have a holiday on landing in Savona.'

Report that CEO Foschi of Costa gave a news conference today in Genoa and affirmed that the captain had intentionally and without authorization deviated course to salute the island of Giglio and was only 150 meters from shore at the time of the accident. This is just so unbelievable to me.

The more I read about this horrible event, the angrier I get. This should have NEVER happened. In this modern day and age of cruising, for someone to take one of these beautiful ships on what amounts to a joy ride into a rocky coast and then when the worst occurs not immediately put out a distress call or give people adequate direction and get them into lifeboats is more than gross negligence. 6 people have lost their lives and we all know that number will go up. Among the missing are a father and his 5 year old daughter who got separated from the mother in the chaos. And a wonderful couple from Minnesota finally getting to take a well earned vacation. Each of these victims have a story, have family, friends who love them and they are suffering greatly while waiting to find out the fate of their dear ones. All because of some ridiculous, ill-placed desire to grandstand!

Archived