Nov 24,2012 Volendam SYD/AKL Cancelled

DonSherman

Yesterday Holland America cancelled the Sydney to Auckland Cruise! The ship is now going to Singapore. This is a most unwelcome event. They are offering to transfer people to similar cruises , but with dates in December 2012, and Jan & Fed 2013. Also offering $200.00/person on board credit. This could be quite a shock to those who have bloeked vacation time, or arranged air in advance. We have obtained frequent flyer tickets that we almost impossible to obtain, business class for 3 people. Luckily, there is a similar cruise on the Oosterdam on Nov 21, and out air tickets include those dates. Since the ship returns to Sydney, and our flight home is Auckland-LA non stop, we are trying to get Holland America reimburse us for the return tickets we would need to fly from Sydney to Auckland, after the ship docks at the end of the cruise back in Sydney! Lets see what happens. I was told that the cruise was cancelled so it could be better positioned for other cruises. However, when they planned the cruise, they new what cruises were to follow. Why such a late change! Quite a shock!

Don

Yesterday Holland America cancelled the Sydney to Auckland Cruise! The ship is now going to Singapore. This is a most unwelcome event. They are offering to transfer people to similar cruises , but with dates in December 2012, and Jan & Fed 2013. Also offering $200.00/person on board credit. This could be quite a shock to those who have bloeked vacation time, or arranged air in advance. We have obtained frequent flyer tickets that we almost impossible to obtain, business class for 3 people. Luckily, there is a similar cruise on the Oosterdam on Nov 21, and out air tickets include those dates. Since the ship returns to Sydney, and our flight home is Auckland-LA non stop, we are trying to get Holland America reimburse us for the return tickets we would need to fly from Sydney to Auckland, after the ship docks at the end of the cruise back in Sydney! Lets see what happens. I was told that the cruise was cancelled so it could be better positioned for other cruises. However, when they planned the cruise, they new what cruises were to follow. Why such a late change! Quite a shock!

Don

I don't know the answer to your question but I would be tempted to ask them to put that obc on the cruise on O. After all, there is a big difference between your original ship and this one (size wise).

Sorry to hear.

Changing itineraries on HAL ships seems to be the norm any more. This happened to us a couple of years ago and we were not able to accept the couple if dates that were offered. Fortunely we had refundable air tickets.

Hope you have a good TA that can work things out for you with HAL.

Let us know what happens.

I don't know the answer to your question but I would be tempted to ask them to put that obc on the cruise on O. After all, there is a big difference between your original ship and this one (size wise).
HA did agree to apply the on board credit to the Oosterdam cruise on Nov 21.

While HAL has offered a $200.00/pp on board credit, the Internet has postings showing that most cruise lines offer a 25% credit on booking on an alternate cruise- at any time, on any of their ships. HA has not made such an offer. Has anyone ever experienced a cancellation of an entire cruise, and what were you offered?

Thanks,

Don

What you have posted here sounds about what HAL usually offers in such circumstance. Sure, there are exceptions but your description is about the norm for HAL.

Hope it all works out fine for you.

Sorry for your disappointment.

I have an active post on the main HAL board trying to decide if we wanted to cancel our Med. Trans Atlantic and substitute this exact cruise instead. We have alway wanted to go to NZ and I was trying to use all my BA airmiles to get to Sydney for this. Wow I guess this is karma.

Glad I didn't switch!

Chris

I have an active post on the main HAL board trying to decide if we wanted to cancel our Med. Trans Atlantic and substitute this exact cruise instead. We have alway wanted to go to NZ and I was trying to use all my BA airmiles to get to Sydney for this. Wow I guess this is karma.

Glad I didn't switch!

Chris

yes you were very lucky - who knew!:confused:

Thank you for reporting this information.

Really sorry that your cruise has been cancelled.

At present HAL has removed the Volendam November/December 2012 itineraries from their website. It will be interesting to see the new itineraries.

Glad I didn't switch!

yes you were very lucky - who knew!

Chris, it's time to buy a lottery ticket.

Woody

Have you considered getting off in Aukland? You would miss one port and 2 sea days, but it could be an option if arranged with HAL before hand. m--

Yes,thank you, we considered that, but my wife & daughter want the 2 days at sea to recover from the previous days travel. Our air return from Ackland is for Dec 9, and with the cruise docking in Sydney Dec 5, that gives us enough time to return to NZ, and tour places we missed on the cruise.

It costs about $220.00/pp to return to NZ, and I expect, and hope, that HA will reimburse for the expense they created. I will call their guest relations on Monday/Tuesday. We willl see.

Glad I didn't switch!

Chris

It is almost impossible to get Quantas busines class seats via American Airlines. I have made over 75 phone calls to get what I got. In addition, with American you have to get the our outgoing tickets, and confirm, before you know if you will get the return flights confirmed. American will only book 330 days ahead.Thus it is 2 different reservations for 62,500 points each. I have had to get up every hour or 2 some nights to get the tickets I have, which cost total of 125,000 miles/ pp, but the tickets would have cost over $10.000.00 each. After all I went thru, I did not want to start all over again with a Dec or Jan/Feb cruise!

Yes,thank you, we considered that, but my wife & daughter want the 2 days at sea to recover from the previous days travel. Our air return from Ackland is for Dec 9, and with the cruise docking in Sydney Dec 5, that gives us enough time to return to NZ, and tour places we missed on the cruise.

It costs about $220.00/pp to return to NZ, and I expect, and hope, that HA will reimburse for the expense they created. I will call their guest relations on Monday/Tuesday. We willl see.

I hope you can get their cooperation. Let us know what happens. m--

Woody,

I did buy a lottery ticket. Atually 5 of them. How come they don't even give you something when you get none of the numbers right? And this is with a quick pick. 25 numbers and not one right! Lucky? No I don't think so. I'll take bingo anyday.

Chris

I hope you can get their cooperation. Let us know what happens. m--

Today I called HA guest relations, and they agreed to pay for our costs to return to NZ for our flight out of Auckland after docking in Sydney. I am now happy with the way they handled the cruise cancellation, so I can retain the FF air tickets that were so hard to obtain. Now I start planning for the trip.

Thank you all for advice.

Don

Today I called HA guest relations, and they agreed to pay for our costs to return to NZ for our flight out of Auckland after docking in Sydney. I am now happy with the way they handled the cruise cancellation, so I can retain the FF air tickets that were so hard to obtain. Now I start planning for the trip.

Don

Glad it all worked out for you! :)

Don

Thank you for the update of this situation.

Do you fly back to the US the evening of the day that you disembark?

I have to say that given the amount of time before this cruise, I think HAL was very generous. I am glad it worked out this way for you!! :D :D

I'd certainly agree with you there, Sher. We were just on the Volendam and booked next Christmas/NY. Of course, with the itinerary changes, we got an email saying the itinerary had been cancelled. We were still on board and were able to rebook for the revised Christmas/NY cruise (HK-Sing, instead of Syd-Sing) and have our on-board deposit transferred to the new booking.:)

Barb

Archived