Costa Concordia - I survived

mickey_d_mouse

I think that what stunned me most after absorbing what happened was that the ship did not hold boat drill before leaving Civitavecchia. I have never been on a ship which actually got underway before holding boat drill. One lesson which might come out of this disaster is a rethink of what boat drill actually is. In the last few months we have sailed with two units of Carnival, and their ideas of boat drill are as different as night and day. Cunard brings you into an area and shows you a movie about putting your life jacket on; Holland--America musters you out on deck right under the lifeboat you will use in a disaster.

A second lesson is that lifeboats are pretty useless when the ship has a radical list; this is one to be absorbed by naval architects and the people who design davits, as well as in crew training which needs to cover strategies for launching when the ship is heeled over.

That most people survived seems due to the happenstance of the accident happening close to shore; imagine the same scenario with the ship holed as a result of an internal explosion or sabotage well off shore. There's lots of work to be done by the cruise industry.

I think that what stunned me most after absorbing what happened was that the ship did not hold boat drill before leaving Civitavecchia. I have never been on a ship which actually got underway before holding boat drill. One lesson which might come out of this disaster is a rethink of what boat drill actually is. In the last few months we have sailed with two units of Carnival, and their ideas of boat drill are as different as night and day. Cunard brings you into an area and shows you a movie about putting your life jacket on; Holland--America musters you out on deck right under the lifeboat you will use in a disaster.

A second lesson is that lifeboats are pretty useless when the ship has a radical list; this is one to be absorbed by naval architects and the people who design davits, as well as in crew training which needs to cover strategies for launching when the ship is heeled over.

That most people survived seems due to the happenstance of the accident happening close to shore; imagine the same scenario with the ship holed as a result of an internal explosion or sabotage well off shore. There's lots of work to be done by the cruise industry.

Excellent. I agree with everything you say. I think that Concordia was taking pax on at different ports, but at any rate, the muster drill must be held within 24 hours of a passenger boarding a ship. So- next day is (currently) kosher.

Sending big hugs and prayers to you and your family. I thank you for posting this. Your post has affected me more than all the news coverage that I have watched. Your courage in posting this has touched many people and has made me think about things I have not ever wanted to.

Thank you and safe travel home.

BlueJai

We just want to go home and the travel insurance people are being difficult, emirates say they cant get us on a flight any earlier I JUST WANT TO GO HOME

Michelle,

I am truly sorry for what you have experienced. What a nightmare. I hope your little girl is fine and does not suffer from this. I do not need to say "take care of her" as I know that is exactly what you are doing under very trying circumstances.

Does Emirates know you came off the Concordia? Perhaps they could ask someone to take a voluntary "bump" for you. There are lots of good folks out there; I hope you find two to help you out and get you home.

God speed.

Yikes....I'm new here...and it took me weeks to convince my husband to take a cruise. we have been planning one in april. Not signed on yet.

Now I am hoping he will still want to go. What a sad tragedy.

Praying for all those who didn't make it out. :(

as we all know adversity brings forth the good and bad in human nature.

this thread reveals that.

compassion and empathy costs nothing but some are not capable.

hopefully michelle and her family are now on their way home.

a truly awful experience for all, staff and passengers.

lets hope in time something positive comes out of this.

we would not travel on one of these large ships. safety is clearly not a priority and emergency procedures are not either known or implemented.

too high a price to pay for travellers or staff.

RuthlessBoss - you are not grasping that she and her child are still stranded in a foreign country with no money, no documents, and only the clothes on their back. Her situation is much more than "an inconvenience", and it is not over with yet.

Additionally, the entity that put her in this situation, Costa, has not been helpful. She is understandably unhappy with that. She may also be deeply saddened for those who died, and deeply thankful to be alive, but she can also, simultaneously, be deeply pissed at the people who are responsible for this and who are not helping to correct it.

Lay off. It is in hideously poor taste to criticize someone who is still in a very difficult situation, with her child at her side, and not yet safe at home.

I could not agree more Seattle 2000. Human beings still shock me with the things they say! I assume that "Ruthless Boss" doesn't have a clue.

Michelle, we are praying for a safe return to the US for you and your family as well as for everyone on the ship...both from the US and other countries...

Unfortunately as much as we have wanted to sail the western caribbean and have long anticipated this cruise (not on Costa), I am calling tomorrow to change it. I fear this will be a trend for all cruise companies, but hey you gotta do, what you gotta do.

I'm sure this will bring alot of awareness to all the cruise companies to change some policies. So we will wait awhile before cruising again.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

Terri, just an FYI, Michelle is from Australia, so you might alter your prayers to get her home there as I really don't think she wants to visit the US at the moment (although I would welcome her with open arms).:)

It is obviously way too late for me to be posting, and reading the original posting was obviously quite unsettling as well....

Michelle, we are praying for a safe return home for you and your family as well as for everyone on the ship.

Unfortunately as much as we have wanted to sail the Western Mediterranean and have long anticipated this cruise (not on Costa), I am calling tomorrow to change it. I fear this will be a trend for all cruise companies, but hey you gotta do, what you gotta do.

I'm sure this will bring alot of awareness to all the cruise companies to change some policies. So we will wait awhile before cruising again.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

From the latest news that brucory has linked in his post, it sounds as if Michelle, her husband and daughter are now on their way home. Of course they have a 20 hour plane trip ahead of them which in normal circumstances is doable but when one has been through such an horrific event, even those long hours are going to feel even more interminable as I imagine all of them just want to be home here in sunny Melbourne.

Jennie

Michelle,

I find it amazing that you have the presence of mind and the courage to post on CC at a time when I'm not sure I'd even be able to function well much less report on this event. Thank you so much. Like others here have posted, at times like this, material losses are meaningless. The fact that your family is alive is everything.

God speed, safe travels home and warmest wishes from Chicago. Our thoughts are with you.

I was also amazed that ANYONE would be able to sit, put into words and type about this ordeal. We are grateful to hear that you and your family are OK and we really do want to hear more when you get home. The CC family is a very large one, as I now see. It's not just about Roll Calls anymore. Stay warm. {HUGS}

Archived