What could she possibly need to spend money on?

MyTempered

My husband and I are trying to decide whether or not to let my 12 year old daughter have a small amount of onboard credit that she can access. Realistically, she'll be with us most of the time anyway, so we can sign for anything she might need. But, this will be our first cruise, so we don't really know what to expect. Other than the occasional soda, I can't imagine what a 12 year old would possibly be spending money on anyway. So, please enlighten me: what have your young teens used onboard credit for?

Thanks,

Christi

She might buy candy, a t-shirt, as you said, soda, but ... she won't be alone. Thus, she could always use yours. When I filled out the credit card info, I did not give my little ones any credit because if they need something.. no worry, I'll be there. They too will not be alone.

Nancy

I know that at least some (perhaps all) of the cruise lines have soda packages that you can purchase, so even if she wasn't with you, you could anticipate that cost and account for it with the package.

The only other thing that I could potentially see would be that I know some of the kids' programs will take the kids in your daughter's age range around the ship for scavenger hunts and other activities. So perhaps while out and about with the other kids/kids' program staff, she might see something that she wants. So you could decide whether you want to allow her some amount of money to purchase souvenirs, or if you'd rather tell her to remember what it was and where she saw it, and then you could go back with her later to purchase the item.

I'm not sure what the age cut-offs are, but I seem to recall on our last cruise that kids around your daughter's age could sign themselves out of the kids' programs - you have to give consent for that, though - otherwise they won't release her unless you or your husband come and get her.

My husband and I are trying to decide whether or not to let my 12 year old daughter have a small amount of onboard credit that she can access. Realistically, she'll be with us most of the time anyway, so we can sign for anything she might need. But, this will be our first cruise, so we don't really know what to expect. Other than the occasional soda, I can't imagine what a 12 year old would possibly be spending money on anyway. So, please enlighten me: what have your young teens used onboard credit for?

Thanks,

Christi

You dont mention which ship you're going on, but if lets say there is a Johnny Rockets (ie: some RCCL ships) or Game room, those could be expenses you might allow her. If she is with other kids from the kids club, they might want to eat or play games... or have a virgin frozen drink. I would also guess that most other purchases like souvenirs of t shirts etc., she would probably be with you. Have a plan and some guidelines/rules before you go.

Enjoy Your first Cruise....they are addicting!

Video games is one thing; specialty ice cream or smoothies, soft drinks, souvenirs, etc.

We took grandkids on a cruise last year; didn't let them buy anything on board and they never even asked, except for the video games. We were not paying for 7 kids to play video games on a cruise! There was so much else to do they didn't miss it.

They each had about $30 to spend on shore, from parents and other grandparents

Video games is one thing; specialty ice cream or smoothies, soft drinks, souvenirs, etc.

We took grandkids on a cruise last year; didn't let them buy anything on board and they never even asked, except for the video games. We were not paying for 7 kids to play video games on a cruise! There was so much else to do they didn't miss it.

They each had about $30 to spend on shore, from parents and other grandparents

I certainly wasn't planning on paying $$ for video games, either, and didn't realize it until after he had done it. Good thing I checked my account daily :). My son was 15, though, so he was roaming on his own. He didn't do it again after that first day-- I made it clear that we weren't there to play video games :D.

I certainly wasn't planning on paying $$ for video games, either, and didn't realize it until after he had done it. Good thing I checked my account daily :). My son was 15, though, so he was roaming on his own. He didn't do it again after that first day-- I made it clear that we weren't there to play video games :D.

I know what you mean. On the Navigator, the video games are cunningly placed so that you have to walk through them to get to the kids club. We had a close call the first day, with 7 kids kind of wowed by all the games, and the 5-year-old had his card in the slot ready to go.

We blocked his card from charges, since we weren't sure he'd follow orders and just told the others no video games. They didn't really try again.

I know what you mean. On the Navigator, the video games are cunningly placed so that you have to walk through them to get to the kids club. We had a close call the first day, with 7 kids kind of wowed by all the games, and the 5-year-old had his card in the slot ready to go.

We blocked his card from charges, since we weren't sure he'd follow orders and just told the others no video games. They didn't really try again.

I threatened to :D. It was the first cruise I hadn't blocked it. I finally had to drill it in to him if they asked for his S&S card, or he had to swipe it, it was going to cost HIM. He was great after that :).

Another area that can run up charges is internet access. Ships can have small groups of computers scattered on various decks, not just one location. So for a child not with their family it is fairly easy to stop at one of these computers to contact their friends at home. Also in some cafes/buffets there can be up-charge foods, fresh squeezed orange juice or espresso for example. As mentioned earlier the best thing to tell your daughter is if her ship card is required there is probably going to be a charge. Even after 8 cruises we still block charges on our sons card, this then requires him to check-in with us if he really wants to buy something.

I had bought my son the soda card, so wasn't worried about that, but wasn't expecting the video game charges that showed up. They racked up pretty fast!!

Glad you mentioned the game room. We are taking 2 of our children, ages 16 and 12 on their first cruise in April and had already planned on getting them the soda card. Now I guess I need to determine how to limit their spending in the arcade. Thanks!

I was going to say arcade as well. Some friends of ours took their teenage son on a cruise and loaded his card with a predetermined amount of money and told him that when the card stopped working he was out of money. well the cruise line didn't end up putting the limit on his card and he racked up a $400 something bill at the arcade. They ended up splitting the cost with the cruise line since it was the cruise lines mistake by not setting up the card correctly. I guess the point of this post is to still check the kids balance to make sure this doesn't happen to you. This was on RCI by the way.

I'm not sure what the age cut-offs are, but I seem to recall on our last cruise that kids around your daughter's age could sign themselves out of the kids' programs - you have to give consent for that, though - otherwise they won't release her unless you or your husband come and get her.

If OPs child is 12YO, on most lines they have aged out of the traditional kids club and into the teen club. Teen club does not have sign-in/sign-out -- most teens will just "hang out" with their friends.

Spending money should be agreed to before hand. Our DD (now 16YO, but with 5 cruises under her belt since she was aged into the teen age group). She generally has the soda card but will order two to three non-alcholic mocktails per cruise when "out" with her friends. She is not interested in video games and perfers to save her spending money for ports (clothes shopping). Sometimes her friends will ask permission to watch a movie in one of the cabins -- some of the movies are pay-per-view, and if they order room service she knows I expect her to tip the server.

Archived