St Petersburg day tours.

susyq 1967

Hi all and thanks in advance for any replies to a newbie both on this forum and to cruising.:-)

Doing a "Mini" taster cruise, baltic, and one port of call is St Petersburg (Always wanted to see here!). Anyway, just discovered we need tourist visas (an inconsidered horrible expense) and that most cruisers recommend private tours as they show you what you need to see and arrange the visa?

Now forgive me my ignorance but can you not just walk off the ship and get a taxi? Some reviewers have mentioned being hassled on the ship and being told they are not allowed off without a visa?

Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated,

Ty

Suzy:D

You will not be allowed off the ship without a visa. Visas are automatically obtained if you are taking an excursion organized by the cruise ship, or a prearranged group excursion through a licensed, authorized tour operator. If you want an individually-issued visa you must apply for it in advance, and you will be required to have a sponsor to obtain it. (Note: this is based on our experience in Russia a few years ago. It's conceivable some requirements have changed.) I suggest you post your question on the Northern Europe and Baltics Ports of Call board for up to date information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Some reviewers have mentioned being hassled on the ship and being told they are not allowed off without a visa?

Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated,

Ty

Suzy:D

It used to be quite common for some cruise lines to give the impression that unless you were doing a ship's tour you would have to obtain your own visa, whereas as other answers have indicated you will be covered by a group visa if you are on a private tour with an accredited company, in exactly the same way as if you are on a ship's tour.

I suspect the reviewers who were complaining about being hassled were ones on private tours, but I haven't heard of this happening for a good while now. If, on the other hand, these were people who hadn't arranged tours and were simply planning to walk off the ship and explore independently, the ship was quite right to 'hassle' them, because no way would the Russian authorities let them into the country without a visa.

Incidentally, irrespective of whether you are on a ships tour or on a private tour, the visa will only cover you while you are on the actual tour.

A visa costs about $150, if I recall correctly, and then you are off on your own to do..... what? If you have not been there before, I strongly recommend organizing a private tour -- find some others on your roll call and get a total of six or eight. First of all, they know where to go, secondly, they get priority at the Hermitage, third they move faster and more nimbly than a ship's tour on a large bus, and fourth the guides know a ton of history to give you about the many sights and sites in St. Petersburg. There are lots of companies and you can read about them on the Ports of Call board and make a list of companies that people recommend.

Our guide took us, among other things obviously, to a pie shop (meat and fish pies for main course, fruit pies for dessert), but she took care of the language problems, paid in rubles and we paid her back, and made it possible without speaking Russian. The same for the dining room at the Summer Palace -- she helped us order and she paid for the meals and we paid her back in U.S. currency.

Frankly, I was amazed at how much our guide knew -- history and even art history when we were at the Hermitage and other places.

The tour company we used asked us to print a small voucher and use it as proof that we were on an accredited tour.

St Petersburg is so good & loads to see. One of my top ports ever.

The tour companies are so good. We used Alla tours, but all the others we heard about were very good.

The pie shop was a great lunch option.

Consider seeing Mon Pleasir (sp?) , canal trips, hydrofoil, subway rides as little extras to whatever you plan.

We were on a private tour and were not hassled . But the ship(N.C.L.) did tell us to wait for the ship tours to clear ,we did not and went right through Russian customs and were the first bus out both days thanks to the people on this site that told us they (Russians) dont care which group you were with. We did the 2day Den-Rus tour and it is the best port we have ever been too.

Archived