St. Thomas - Magen's Bay

Hobbit10

My hubby and I are thinking of just going to Magen's Bay for the day while we are in St. Thomas since it is supposed to be one of the best beaches in the world. Any idea how much a taxi will cost to get us from the port to the beach & back? Is it easy to find a taxi back to the ship? We just want to be aware of what we should be paying so we know whether or not we are being ripped off. It won't be metered, but a flat rate, correct?

We looked at excursions including Magen's Bay, but a lot of people said you are only at the beach for 2 hours or less and that the rest of the excursion was only so-so. I am not sure that we care much about the shopping while we are there, but are there lots of other things we will be missing out on?

Can you rent chairs or umbrellas there? If so, what is the cost? I have also heard that it costs to get into the beach. What is the fee?

Thanks!

It's a nice beach, but a better beach may be found, IMO, by going over to St. Johns for the day. Magen's Bay is very crowded when the cruise ships are in. Lounge chair rental, last time I was there, was $7 per person per day (price included tip). Entry fees are $4 for visitors.

Use google to find the taxi rates; this website will not let me post a link for you.

The taxi rate, one way, per person is $8.00 from Havensight and $9.00 from Crown Bay. When you exit the terminal there will be a taxi dispatcher there; tell him where you want to go and he will direct you to an open air Safari-style taxi with others who are all going to the same place (this makes it easier for the driver). The fare will be collected and yes, it is an admission charge of $4.00 each for Magens Bay.

When you are ready to leave, go to the parking lot and you will see taxis waiting there to take you back. You may have to wait a few minutes for the cabs to fill up. Tell the driver your ship and again, you will be put into a cab where everyone is going to the same place.

Magens is beautiful, however we have been there 3 times and are looking to try something new next time.

Megan's Bay is really overhyped and its not as pretty as it looks. Have been to Coki, a nice alternative. Sapphire Beach is pretty and not as crowded. However if you want to hit a home run take a taxi to Red Hook, ferry to St John's and hit Cinnamom Bay, absolutely gorgeous and one of the best kept secrets. We were there in November...nice sand, beautiful water, very quiet and uncrowded. Expect a cost of about $45 round trip per person that includes the cost of taxis round trip and the ferry round trip. Taxi there is about $10 a head, ferry about $6 each way taxi to the beach about $6-8 each so about $45....but worth every penny. As an alternative if you stay on St Thomas take the gondola ride up to Paradise Point, a scenic overlook of the harbor then come down and cab to Sapphire Beach. Its a good alternative to going to St John's, been in St Thomas 6 times and Paradise Point is spectacular, about $20 pp for a ticket then the cost of cab ride round trip should be around $10-$12 each way but ask the taxi driver as they have posted rates that are controlled. Senor Frogs is new and right at the dock by the ship.

My hubby and I are thinking of just going to Magen's Bay for the day while we are in St. Thomas since it is supposed to be one of the best beaches in the world. Any idea how much a taxi will cost to get us from the port to the beach & back? Is it easy to find a taxi back to the ship? We just want to be aware of what we should be paying so we know whether or not we are being ripped off. It won't be metered, but a flat rate, correct?

We looked at excursions including Magen's Bay, but a lot of people said you are only at the beach for 2 hours or less and that the rest of the excursion was only so-so. I am not sure that we care much about the shopping while we are there, but are there lots of other things we will be missing out on?

Can you rent chairs or umbrellas there? If so, what is the cost? I have also heard that it costs to get into the beach. What is the fee?

Thanks!

My suggestion if you want to see Magen's, go early before it gets crowded. There are plenty of taxi's waiting at port and also in the parking lot at Magans to take you back. There are picnic tables located in the shade next to the beach if you are there early enough to grab one. :)

Megan's Bay is really overhyped and its not as pretty as it looks. Have been to Coki, a nice alternative. Sapphire Beach is pretty and not as crowded. However if you want to hit a home run take a taxi to Red Hook, ferry to St John's and hit Cinnamom Bay, absolutely gorgeous and one of the best kept secrets. We were there in November...nice sand, beautiful water, very quiet and uncrowded. Expect a cost of about $45 round trip per person that includes the cost of taxis round trip and the ferry round trip. Taxi there is about $10 a head, ferry about $6 each way taxi to the beach about $6-8 each so about $45....but worth every penny. As an alternative if you stay on St Thomas take the gondola ride up to Paradise Point, a scenic overlook of the harbor then come down and cab to Sapphire Beach. Its a good alternative to going to St John's, been in St Thomas 6 times and Paradise Point is spectacular, about $20 pp for a ticket then the cost of cab ride round trip should be around $10-$12 each way but ask the taxi driver as they have posted rates that are controlled. Senor Frogs is new and right at the dock by the ship.

I really want to go to Trunk's Bay or Cinnamon Bay for snorkeling. Our ship arrives in St. Thomas at 8:00 a.m. and leaves at 5:00 p.m. Is it doable? Thanks for your help!

While Megan's Bay is a pretty beach, it does nothing for us. We like to snorkel. With it's sandy bottom, there is nothing to see at Magen's Bay.

For years we went to Coki Beach. The view is lovely, it is usually very crowded.

We have gone to Secret Harbor which is a lovely, quiet hotel and beach. It's not crowded, has a nice view and has some decent snorkeling out to the left. There is a restaurant/bar and a dive/snorkeling shop where you can rent a chaise. You would enter the beach following a path to the far right so as to avoid going through the hotel property.

The last time we were in St. Thomas, we went to Sapphire Beach. It was lovely. There is good snorkeling and all the amenities and services you may need. We would go back there again.

There is no fee to enter the beach at Coki, Secret Harbor and Sapphire and taxis are readily available to take you back to the ship.

Thanks Jerry! That is great information. You mentioned the Gondola Ride to Paradise Point. That sounds great. How would I find out more about that? Is it something I could plan before the cruise or would have to arrange once in port? So, we would come back to port after this and then take a separate cab to one of the beaches? So, Coki & Sapphire are free admission? Do they have chairs for rent there? If so, how much?

Archived