Would I ever sail Costa again

alioness

A doctor might be the best in the world, but if I can't clearly communicate with them in an emergency, what difference does it make? Replace the word "doctor" with "ship."

Most of the nurses onboard are from the Philippines and speak both English and Italian and they are the ones that really run the surgery / hospital onboard.

Ron

Once upon a time there used to be silent movies. So you watched what went on and worked everything out and followed the story. Just like watching the lifeboat drill on the cabin TV. For sure - numbers are the same the world over - ask anyone from any country who has a watch. Emergency signs are the same the world over - numbers are the same - and if you were deaf you wouldn't need to worry about the language as long as you could see the pictures. And so it goes on - so ship - doctor - what ever it is you are trying to communicate - if you were spark out - there would be no need to communicate - you would let the doctor do his prognosis. Circles spring to mind - as in "round in............)

It is sad but I have to laugh when people complain about Costa making annoucements in 5 languages. People should do their homework before they sail, this subject is not new.

You never hear compalints from Italians, Germans, Dutch French etc. when they sail on an "American" cruise ship that the announcements are only in English, OK there might be say a German speaking hostess but she would not be much use in an emergency.

Carnival doesn't even have annoucemenst in Spanish even though they are based in Miami.

Costa is Italian owned and Italian flagged, but Italians are notalways in the majority on every cruise. Costa is a multi-cultural cruise line and so the 5 language annoucements fit perfectly into that scheme of things.

Ron

Once upon a time there used to be silent movies. So you watched what went on and worked everything out and followed the story. Just like watching the lifeboat drill on the cabin TV. For sure - numbers are the same the world over - ask anyone from any country who has a watch. Emergency signs are the same the world over - numbers are the same - and if you were deaf you wouldn't need to worry about the language as long as you could see the pictures. And so it goes on - so ship - doctor - what ever it is you are trying to communicate - if you were spark out - there would be no need to communicate - you would let the doctor do his prognosis. Circles spring to mind - as in "round in............)

So if you had a brain tumor and went to see a doctor, you would expect to communicate through hand drawn stick figures to talk about your upcoming surgery???

It is sad but I have to laugh when people complain about Costa making annoucements in 5 languages. People should do their homework before they sail, this subject is not new.

You never hear compalints from Italians, Germans, Dutch French etc. when they sail on an "American" cruise ship that the announcements are only in English, OK there might be say a German speaking hostess but she would not be much use in an emergency.

Carnival doesn't even have annoucemenst in Spanish even though they are based in Miami.

Costa is Italian owned and Italian flagged, but Italians are notalways in the majority on every cruise. Costa is a multi-cultural cruise line and so the 5 language annoucements fit perfectly into that scheme of things.

Ron

Although Spanish might be often spoken in casual circles in Miami, English is the language that all business is conducted in.

If the multiple languages if that is their corporate culture that's their choice. It doesn't mean I'd want to sail with them.

When I go to a foreign country I don't expect the signs to all be in English. But saving yourself in a disaster is a lot easier when you're on dry land.

But this is a cruise forum, not a forum about life in general.

Ron

You obviously missed the point. It has to do with communicating effectively. I wouldn't see a doctor I couldn't communicate with any more so than I'd sail a ship where I couldn't communicate with the majority of the crew.

You obviously missed the point. It has to do with communicating effectively. I wouldn't see a doctor I couldn't communicate with any more so than I'd sail a ship where I couldn't communicate with the majority of the crew.

No you have missed the point, I reiterate this is a cruise forum.

Ron

Hee Hee Ron......I know we all seem to have drifted off topic....a bit of fun never hurt anyone.

I remember the Plank. Eric Sykes & Co.

Ah The Plank (this is a cruise topic as some people want the captain to walk the plank) a great piece of British humour - a classic. Of course if that was shown ona Costa ship, the grunts & groans would have to be translated into 5 languages.

Ron

I seemed to miss your point we well Ducklite - but if you check all the language badges that the staff on the ships wear - they are quite impressive - the majority of staff are multi lingual - even down to the housekeeping crew

It's no different than any other cruise line. Many of the crew with a US/UK/Aussie language pin speak such broken or heavily accented versions of the language that they might as well speak Mandarin--especially in an emergency. I'd rather take my chances on a ship where English was the primary language. I can see where people from other countries would prefer a ship where their native language was the primary.

I have never sailed with Costa.

As far as the language barrier, when you sail on Cunard the announcements are given in three languages. English followed by French, followed by German. I've never been on their Baltic sailings, but my guess would be that German would precede French in that part of the world.

When you're on a ship whose passengers are made up predominately of people who speak a different language, you learn what it feels like to be in the minority. If you're uncomfortable with this, you'll have a difficult time whether you're on sea or land.

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Correct, bi-lingual. What do you call someone who speaks 4 languages? Correct again, quad-lingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language? American :p

A doctor might be the best in the world, but if I can't clearly communicate with them in an emergency, what difference does it make? Replace the word "doctor" with "ship."

Well, there are the horn blasts. I am really surprised that no one has started a thread entitled HORN BLASTS :) A universal signal to get the heck out of Dodge. That doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out for 99% of the cruising public. Every cruiser is imbued with some level of common sense and survival insticts. If one has watched the telly presentation and taken the time to know the lay-out of the ship, those blasts coupled with the sound and the sight of everyone fleeing around will giude you to some degree.

In terms of extreme risk avoidance, ninety million cruise passengers sailed safely in the past 20 years. Statistically, your chances of needing to talk to a doctor about your health while traveling is from an accident on land. A cruise ship sinking is rare. I bashed my head on the open door of a hotel safe in Costa Rica leaning in to grab something from the closet floor while trying to dress in the dark. When the paramedics arrived, I fortunately had a Spanish speaker nearby to explain why I was covered in well, blood. Yet, I continue to travel to non-English speaking countries knowing the worst could happen and I'd end up in a foreign situation/hospital trying to explain an oweee. That is why the little language phrase/travel books include a section on medical emergencies along with where is the bathroom, etc. Goodness knows, the rest of it is up to my maker. Traveling in Africa, I thought about ending up in a hospital over there. But the herds of zebra in person are just not the same as on the television. Traveling on Costa is like being in a foreign country except you are assured far more English speakers than you will find in many countries.

On a somewhat related note, I'd also like to see a thread on the flippin' ferries and tenders we all take to get to shore and between islands. Where are the lifejackets? Where are the muster drills? The heroic well-trained crew to save us? Those junkers are how we are most likely to end up in the drink. I suppose we could just stay on the ship and play bingo.

Crazy fear limits our opportunities and experiences. I would love to see the underworld by scuba. Alas, I have an irrational fear of sharks. I drove a car in Italy and yet I'm too chicken to scuba. Snorkel yes, scuba likely never. So if being on an English speaking boat makes you feel safer, then I can understand but I cannot agree it makes much sense in the big scheme of things for sophisticated world travelers certainly or just plain folks who might be considering a foreign cruise ship. Especially us Americans, many of whom descend from those who left our continental cousins by the hearth while our ancestors ventured forth over a dark sea speaking gibberish. You'd think we'd be the heartier stock in terms of grand adventures and cultural flexibility. The melting pot needs to be stirred if so many of us have turned into such weenies. Myself included.

I have never sailed with Costa.

As far as the language barrier, when you sail on Cunard the announcements are given in three languages. English followed by French, followed by German. I've never been on their Baltic sailings, but my guess would be that German would precede French in that part of the world.

When you're on a ship whose passengers are made up predominately of people who speak a different language, you learn what it feels like to be in the minority. If you're uncomfortable with this, you'll have a difficult time whether you're on sea or land.

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Correct, bi-lingual. What do you call someone who speaks 4 languages? Correct again, quad-lingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language? American :p

I disagree. I understand and can speak moderate Spanish (except Chilean due to a completely different dialect) and to a lesser degree Italian. I can read Spanish, Dutch, German, and some French. My husband is fluent in French. That doesn't mean I want to try to program my brain to understand any of them in an emergency.

And I feel far safer on dry land than at sea--even if there's an emergency. Getting out of a burning hotel is different than getting off a sinking ship.

I disagree. I understand and can speak moderate Spanish (except Chilean due to a completely different dialect) and to a lesser degree Italian. I can read Spanish, Dutch, German, and some French. My husband is fluent in French. That doesn't mean I want to try to program my brain to understand any of them in an emergency.

And I feel far safer on dry land than at sea--even if there's an emergency. Getting out of a burning hotel is different than getting off a sinking ship.

I feel safer as well when people around me are speaking the same language and understandably so on a ship. But I also like to leave my comfort zone.

I speak some German as my father was German, although I regret that we didn't speak it more at home. Considering the period, it was understandable.

I made certain that both of my children learned to speak at least one other language. In their case it was Spanish and one majored in Near Eastern languages and speaks Arabic , French, and Spanish.

I don't think our educational system stresses the importance of language. And waiting until they're in high school is way too late. College graduates who don't have a second language are at a disadvantage.

My granddaughter is learning three languages. Her mother's native language (Chamorro), Spanish, and English.

On a somewhat related note, I'd also like to see a thread on the flippin' ferries and tenders we all take to get to shore and between islands. Where are the lifejackets? -Kate the Wanderer

Believe it or not - on the Costa tenders (lifeboats) - the life jackets are under the seats - and extra's in steel boxes in the lifeboat - they tell you that before they set off from the ship. But ah...do we all listen?

On a somewhat related note, I'd also like to see a thread on the flippin' ferries and tenders we all take to get to shore and between islands. Where are the lifejackets?

Believe it or not - on the Costa tenders (lifeboats) - the life jackets are under the seat - and extra's in steel boxes in the lifeboat

The only time I can't remember the location of life jackets being pointed out in a tender as we were pulling away from the ship or dock was the 100 yards through the warm, calm, clear Caribbean between the ship and the private island on RCCL. It's possible they were pointed out and I missed it--would have been off my radar as I know my family and I could swim 100 yards in those conditions.

All this debate over language is useless...the instructions given were BAD no matter what language they were given in.

Yep. The Concordia became a ship without a rudder as events unfolded. The capitano was apparently blondily distracted and then gone. The boat is upright and leaking and then it tips over. The crew was caught by surprise twice.

A friend who was in the South Tower when the planes hit said that they were all told on the emergency system to go back to their offices. She ignored it and immediately left. Two of her office mates didn't and perished.

I work in a 22 floor state of the art building that cost a zillion dollars. Everytime someone burns toast, the announcements give us at least two conflicting instructions. We're toast if anything serious happens so I always leave for tea anyway just in case.

Archived