Concordia Captain "tripped and fell" into lifeboat, really??

darrengs

Saw an interesting interview on the BBC today where they were talking to a retired Admiral and former Sea Lord of the British fleet. His views were that it didn't matter whether the rocks were correctly charted or not, he was far too close to land in any case. He could think of no reason why a captain would take such an irresponsible risk with a cruise ship, he said he may have considered such a risky manoeuvre with a warship but there would still need to be compelling reasons.

He added that there was a naval superstition about never trusting the sea especially in good calm conditions and always being on your guard as the situation could turn on you at any time.

He we have negligence, pomposity, and the abdication of responsibility of the tallest order. ****inno should be made to wear this t-shirt as part of his sentencing!

http://www.linkiesta.it/sites/default/files/imagecache/immagine_620_fixed/uploads/articolo/immagine-singola/vadaabordotshirt.jpg

If he had one of those LifeCall "Help, I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up" devices (from 1980's TV commercials), help could have been dispatched to get him back on his feet and aboard the vessel!

Oh this did it, now I have to sop up the coffee that I just spewed across the kitchen table, as well as my laptop.

I have a feeling the name Schettino is about to enter the urban dictionary as a synonym for "chicken", especially the type who chickens out and then makes a stupid excuse. Kids in schoolyards will be saying "Nyah, nyah, you bloody Schettino".

Word.

i just can't believe that he is home (change of clothes -- all nice and warm with good food) while others are still trying to get home -- and with only the clothes on their backs which they were wearing when this tradegy happened.

"The cruise ship captain under fire for abandoning his vessel while thousands of passengers scrambled for rescue has reportedly come up with an explanation for his flight - he accidentally tripped and fell into a lifeboat."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57361085/report-captain-claims-he-tripped-into-lifeboat/

This is getting absurd now.

I totally believe this could happen.

Like 1% chance

I can trip on my own feet

But I know I cant land in a boat.

He had to dream this one up

Not even a lawyer could come up with this.

I have a feeling the name Schettino is about to enter the urban dictionary as a synonym for "chicken", especially the type who chickens out and then makes a stupid excuse. Kids in schoolyards will be saying "Nyah, nyah, you bloody Schettino".
I believe it already has - as in "chicken of the sea". I can't believe Costa hired him, trained him and let him captain its ships - what were they thinking? :confused: :(

"The cruise ship captain under fire for abandoning his vessel while thousands of passengers scrambled for rescue has reportedly come up with an explanation for his flight - he accidentally tripped and fell into a lifeboat."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57361085/report-captain-claims-he-tripped-into-lifeboat/

Too bad he couldn't make sure all the rest of the passengers "trip and fall" into a lifeboat as well.

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

He's incredibly foolish for steering the ship so close to shore, and then trying to say the rock was not on his map. (it's not on the map now, it's sticking out of the side of his ship!)

He's irresponsible for not holding a muster drill before setting sail, and not making sure ahead of time that each lifeboat had a designated driver who knew how to drive the boat!

He's stupid for wasting an hour turning the ship around when he should have called a mayday and ordered the ship abandoned the second it started taking on water. Had he done so, the lifeboats on both sides of the ship could have been used and more people would have made it off safely without overcrowding the life boats.

He's a disgusting coward for abandoning ship before the passengers and when caught, for giving the Coast Guard an argument when they ordered him back on board.

He's inhumane for not making sure everyone else got off the ship, and for not assisting them to do so!

And he's a total idiot if he thinks anyone is going to believe his "I fell into a life boat" fairytale.

Did none of these personality traits show themselves before this? He shouldn't have been allowed to play with a plastic boat in a bath tub, much less captain a cruise ship!

Well said!

Not only was he responsible for people dying, but he is now spitting into their families' faces by telling incredulous lies. While he was steering the ship to the harbour, he was on a personal cell phone probably talking to his lawyer instead of coordinating an evacuation. Humans make errors; but most people own up to their errors, try to correct them, and ask for forgiveness which is usually granted. This guy not only made an error to stroke his ego, instead of trying to correct it, he ran away like a child to hide. This is unconscionable and unforgiveable.

I just went to CNN.com to see if there were any new photos and I just saw something there that used 'schettino' as a verb to mean abandoning a job before completion.

I also saw a limerick someone wrote using the Captain's name. it's in the comments following an interesting article titled "Ex-Coast Guard chief: Captain failed in every way."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/18/opinion/loy-costa-captain/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I just saw something there that used 'schettino' as a verb to mean abandoning a job before completion.

Move over, "Tebowing"..."Schettinoing" is taking over. :rolleyes:

Didn't Captain Schettino start out saying he didn't leave before any guests, and now he's saying he tripped into a lifeboat? Inconsistencies in a story usually indicate that something is amiss...

The only thing that I see as an explanation for the unbelievable way he acted after the incident and all the way right up until now is that he completely lost it.

He's acting like someone who has lost there mind. I'd bet that there will be some finding that the captain went into shock or something along those lines that will explain his incredibly bad decision making.

I'm not defending him and I believe he should be held accountable for everything that has happened as he is ultimately responsible for the well being of EVERY passenger and crew member.

Seriously, that captain makes himself look worse and worse every day.

One thing I would like to know from maybe someone who is familiar with sailing a large ship like that- once he hit the rocks, he turned toward land- his lawyer has said he did that to get the boat to shallower waters so the ship wouldn't sink and people would be able to get off. Others say he should have stopped where he was and evacuated the ship immediately, and if he had done that then there would have been less loss of life because instead of taking another hour for him to steer the boat toward land everyone would have had another hour to get off. Anyone have any input about this?

Was it better that he steered toward land, or should he have evacuated sooner?

If he had evacuated sooner, there is no guarantee there would have been less loss of life but it is guaranteed the ship would have probably sunk (deeper than it currently has sunk, as it is now resting on a shelf under the water).

If he hadn't steered toward land, there could have been more time to evacuate but those that swam to shore would not have been able to do so, but also the ship probably wouldn't have tilted over.

From what I have read, the ship continued without power. It is unlikely they could have 'stopped the ship' at the point of impact.

I believe in that hour after the collision, the alarms should have been sounded and passengers gathered at their muster stations. They would have had time to return to their cabins and get their life jackets, warm clothes and possibly passports & credit cards. It seems that the crew had not been advised of the emergency shortly after the collision as they were reassuring passengers and telling them everything was OK. If passengers were in their muster stations, evacuation could have proceeded in more of an orderley fashion.

L:)ve Little Britian.

Apparently this close pass by the island had been approved in the past.

So the blame for that should be shared with whoever had approved it in the past.

What is most damning, to me, is that passengers had called the Coast Guard to alert them of the situation.

And then, according to reports, when the Coast Guard called the ship to find out what was going on, the extent of the problem was not disclosed.

A big hole in a boat is not exactly a techinal difficulty, really!

I would much rather that they err on the side of caution than to make light of a serious situation.

If the Coast Guard had been informed immediately could the outcome have been better?

Would people still have felt is necessary to go into the water and swim for safety if the Coast Guard had been given more time to get rescue efforts in place?

The investigation should be interesting.

I just went to CNN.com to see if there were any new photos and I just saw something there that used 'schettino' as a verb to mean abandoning a job before completion.

I also saw a limerick someone wrote using the Captain's name. it's in the comments following an interesting article titled "Ex-Coast Guard chief: Captain failed in every way."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/18/opinion/loy-costa-captain/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Someone else on that board said that Costa is in deep Schettino. :p

More I read about him more I think he is on drugs....

and after felling pure man didn't get out of the lifeboat in an hour. :d that was the time he had to try before could lower the lifeboat. So he didn't make any effort to return to ship after had accidently fallen into lifeboat...
hi-this reminds me of the time--my 10 yrs-old---said he could'nt do his home work--because the dog ate it----lol the joyces-----jugger

Archived