14 Day from Seattle

jow623

After taking a 13 day cruise-tour last year, we booked the 14 day cruise from Seattle for 9/12. I am interested in which ports have enough to do without excursions, and which ones have little to offer. Thanks!

After taking a 13 day cruise-tour last year, we booked the 14 day cruise from Seattle for 9/12. I am interested in which ports have enough to do without excursions, and which ones have little to offer. Thanks!

I presume you're taking the Amsterdam 14-day cruise to Alaska? :confused:

Every port has something to do, if what it has is what you want to do. What kind of things are you looking to do while there? Shop? See wildlife? Landbased or sealife? Cultural venues? Adventure? Active or more relaxed?

Tell us a little about what you want to get out of this trip.

I have my 6th Alaska cruise, including 2nd 14-day on the Amsterdam, coming up in September. There's always something new to interest me there.

Maybe I can meet you this time :)

Oh, that would be fun! I dont' have my flights set yet, as Southwest hasn't opened up the dates. I'll e-mail you when I have them.

I hope we can get together this time. :D

I have taken this cruise without taking shore excursions (budget) and found it to be a wonderful cruise. Don't feel like you have to do the excursions.

Ketchikan - wander around town, enjoy the creek and the shops along it, climb some of the paths up and just explore.

Sitka - take the city bus to the Raptor center, after exploring it, walk along the forest path to the totem pole park. Then either take the bus back or walk into town. Enjoy the small museum and the Russian Orthodox church.

Skagway - if the skies are clear, take the railroad (you can buy tickets there). If not, explore the town on your own.

Anchorage - there is a nice museum. Mom and I shopped at Nordstrom and had lunch there -- what can I say -- we enjoyed ourselves immensely and Nordstrom shipped purchases home.

Homer - take the bus into town or just explore the spit. I enjoyed just taking pictures

Kodiak - take a taxi to the park and see wildlife, etc.

Juneau - take the bus to Mendenhahl glacier. Otherwise visit the statehouse and walk around town.

Sure, there are wonderful excursions that are lots of fun (sea life, glaciers, sled dogs, etc.). But if you want to just see things on your own, you will have a great time, too.

Archived