Cruise Boss Slams Passenger 'Sensationalism' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ST-UK

Every medium and larger company I've ever worked for has had a written policy that forbids employees from speaking to the press about the company. All queries must be referred to either the corporate communications office or a senior level executive. I'm a partner in my company, and I'd NEVER make a crisis or damage control related statement without consulting with my partners and our corporate counsel first.

That's totally correct. But do you really think that an Assistant Cruise director who just survived a shipwreck is remembering that part of her training from 6 months or 6 years ago? If someone asks her a question, she's going to answer. I'm sure she's not considering the full circumstances.

You're a partner. She's someone who teaches us how to Line Dance. There's a reason we haven't heard from executives, other than Mickey Arison. And you just explained it very well.

Right now I hope Costa isn't worrying about contacting all of their employees and making sure they are keeping their mouths shut about the incident. I hope they are contacting their employees and passengers and making sure they are all safe and warm. Under normal operating conditions I'm sure they make sure that the company line is towed in media relations.

Costa can't stop the media from printing anything the media wants to print.

I would think that now especially that all communications with the media would be referred to a designated spokesperson.

At least in every organization I have ever worked for the protocol was clearly defined and reinforced.

This was sloppy.

And makes me wonder just how disorganized that operation generally is.

And it's all wrong. This is a good lesson not to trust everything you read in the press. They want eyeballs, they want folks to link to them and they will print SENSATIONAL and OUTRAGEOUS things to get those eyeballs.

Every headline I saw the first two days said "LUXURY cruiseline", a good example of hype to sell the story.

That's totally correct. But do you really think that an Assistant Cruise director who just survived a shipwreck is remembering that part of her training from 6 months or 6 years ago? If someone asks her a question, she's going to answer. I'm sure she's not considering the full circumstances.

You're a partner. She's someone who teaches us how to Line Dance. There's a reason we haven't heard from executives, other than Mickey Arison. And you just explained it very well.

Here is the beginning of the translated page...

Genoa - We receive and we publish the letter of Monica Bova, Assistant Director of Cruise of the Coast. Monica was not to edge of the Concord, but it knows the edge life well and between the crew of the ship been shipwrecked to the Giglio it has various friends.

I have learned the news during the same tragic evening.

The translation isn't totally clear to me.

She is an assistant cruise director. But was she even on this ship?

Can someone compare the translation to the original letter and clarify?

Genova - Riceviamo e pubblichiamo la lettera di Monica Bova, Assistente Direttore di Crociera della Costa. Monica non era a bordo della Concordia, ma conosce bene la vita di bordo e tra l’equipaggio della nave naufragata al Giglio ha diversi amici.

“Ho appreso la notizia durante la stessa tragica serata. Per quelli come me, che in quelle navi trovano una seconda casa, è stato sconvolgente. Ho trascorso quelle ore pensando con una stretta al cuore all’angoscia che amici e colleghi stavano vivendo. Gestire la propria paura e quella di chi non conosci affatto!!

Mi rendo conto che i pareri possono essere contrastanti e non ho le competenze per stabilire colpe e cause della tragedia ma, in una reale emergenza tutto può accadere. Non una causa ma più cause vengono a sovrapporsi dunque non c’è solo una sola conseguenza ma più problemi da risolvere contemporaneamente.

I hope one day she doesnt find herself in this postition. She might think differently then. If she had relatives on this ship it would have not been wrote. She would be agreeing with the passengers. It doesnt matter what she does in the company, this was uncalled for.

I would think that now especially that all communications with the media would be referred to a designated spokesperson.

At least in every organization I have ever worked for the protocol was clearly defined and reinforced.

This was sloppy.

And makes me wonder just how disorganized that operation generally is.

Again, do you think Costa/Carnival has contacted all of their employees and told them not to talk to the press? Or do you think Costa/Carnival is a bit more concerned right now with recovering the missing and making sure the important things, like running a cruiseline, are done right?

Out of over 1000 employees on board, there's one not toeing the company line on talking to the press. Hardly one of the top 20 issues here, don't you think?

Every medium and larger company I've ever worked for has had a written policy that forbids employees from speaking to the press about the company. All queries must be referred to either the corporate communications office or a senior level executive. I'm a partner in my company, and I'd NEVER make a crisis or damage control related statement without consulting with my partners and our corporate counsel first.

I agree with you agree 100%, but there are always those dregs seeking fame through sad and sordid reasonings.....Casey Anthony gets marriage proposals, OJ got love letters....

I am going to play devil's advocate here. So I am putting on the flame suit.

I will admit that the captain is a louse in leaving the ship. I will admit that other officers that left the ship should also be charged to the fullest extent the law allows.

I know that ifI did not participate in any muster drill (estimated at 600) I would be confused as to what to do in case of emergency. Now let's add the procedure of what to do if the ship is listing a lot. I was never informed of what to do, have any of you? Are they going to announce it over the intercom? In what language? Will we be able to hear it with all the screaming, crying and panic that has begun in everyone?

Some of the crew abandoned the ship, most of the crew stayed on the ship to do what they could in an extreme emergency. Some of the crew lost their lives also.

I think the rescuers did a great job given the circumstances. The crew was left without leadership until another captain called the "abandon ship" order. Sure there was choas and panicked people.

How would anyone here state in a nice way that the crew was there to do what they had to in spite of their captain leaving? Keep in mind that not many of the crew knew that the captain had left the ship. If you were one of the crew who risked their life to save other lives and you were being slammed, how would you feel? How about if it was one of your friends?

I think people need to step back and took a look at things from all angles.

Again, do you think Costa/Carnival has contacted all of their employees and told them not to talk to the press? Or do you think Costa/Carnival is a bit more concerned right now with recovering the missing and making sure the important things, like running a cruiseline, are done right?

Out of over 1000 employees on board, there's one not toeing the company line on talking to the press. Hardly one of the top 20 issues here, don't you think?

Yes, I do think that all employees should have been properly trained.

It should have been standard procedure.

I also would think that there would have been protocol in place detailing how situations like this were to be handeled.

I do think that this woman's behavior reflects poorly not only on her intelligence, common sense, and tact, but also on her apparently insufficent training and therefore on the Costa organization as a whole.

Preparation and training of employees is really the whole issue here, don't you think?

Isn't it strange that we forget that everyone on the ship has a story to tell and that it is only to be expected that every story will be different? While it is true that overall things appear to have been mishandled and most everyone agrees the captain acted badly, I would expect there will be a variety of interpretations among the passengers based on where they were on the ship, which crew members they interacted with, and their own personal functioning in this very scary situation. I've already read stories of passengers who derided the staff for being totally unhelpful and others who credit the staff with saving their lives. I guess it's important to remember that everyone's perception is likely to be different and, whether or not it "fits" with other recollections, it's true for that individual and needs to be validated. I hope Costa will take this into account in providing compensation and assistance for these folks.

After reading the letter in Italian (the English translation is horrible), the lady in question is a Costa EMPLOYEE, not an official or boss. She claims to be an assistant cruise director. A cruise director is on the staff of every cruise ship and is responsible for announcements, animation team, bingo, etc. An assistant cruise director is pretty low on the totem pole of a ship's staff. In any case, she is not a headquarters official. She simply wrote a letter speaking her mind.

Yes, I do think that all employees should have been properly trained.

It should have been standard procedure.

I also would think that there would have been protocol in place detailing how situations like this were to be handeled.

I do think that this woman's behavior reflects poorly not only on her intelligence, common sense, and tact, but also on her apparently insufficent training and therefore on the Costa organization as a whole.

Preparation and training of employees is really the whole issue here, don't you think?

Agree 100%.

What the Captain did, contrary to years or decades of training of the most important part of his training, at the moment his training was most needed, caused a huge, huge problem.

What the Assistant Cruise director did, contrary to 10 minutes of training years ago, and probably never mentioned again as it was not important to her duties, caused a kerfuffle, which was greatly blown out of proportion by the media.

Should she have said what she did? Of course not. Can you understand why she did it? I think so. She's been through a terrible trauma, maybe lost some friends, and was probably already convinced that her job was resting on the bottom of the ocean. The Captain, on the other hand, blew off his training during the most important part of his job, causing the loss of lives and property. Had the Asst Cruise Director screwed up the most important part of her job, the morning TV show might have been missed.

But no one asked her a question, she wrote a letter. Big difference.

So what? She's still a minor employee and no right thinking person would ascribe her thoughts to being Corporate Approved Speech.

She said stupid things. That's not Costa/Carnival saying stupid things.

When the manager of a Wendy's does something stupid, that doesn't make it Corporate Wendy's Policy.

That is pretty sensational. People swam to shore. Dead bodies havebeen found on the ship. Captaiin under arrest.

And the passengers are overreacting?

I don't think anyone said that the passengers are overreacting.

Everyone is so emotional, for a good reason. A terrible tragedy has occured, lives lost and people traumatized.

Some individuals are missreading postings on CC. New rumours are started.

She is a callous stupid woman who should have kept her opinion to herself. She is welcome to feel any way she pleases but to state for the record such idiotic remarks at this particular time when over 30 lives are most likely lost and evidence points to massive human failure is beyond understanding. Even the survivors are dealing with terrible trauma and she's trying to transfer guilt on them? WTH. At least I feel confident her career in the crusie industry is over.

[/color]

I don't think anyone said that the passengers are overreacting.

Monica Bova didn't accuse the media of sensationalism, she accused the passengers of it. You don't think that translates to "the passengers are overreacting"?

All this while the Captain was underreacting, by the way.

This kind of comment by anyone who works for Costa is completely unprofessional and inappropriate. It just screams that Costa doesn't care about its passengers - including the ones who were terribly wronged by their company due to their own employee's negligence. I hope that the President/CEO of Costa fires this employee and makes a complete retraction and apology to all passengers on behalf of Costa. This is not a situation in which they should be criticizing any passengers under any circumstances. Not when the disaster was completely the fault of a Costa employee.

NellyDean ... As of yet there is no proof that the missing are in fact Dead! especially after a German woman turned up at home yesterday who was reported as one of the dead!

It is possible that due to ptsd that some of the people are Alive but unable to make it known to those who need to know!

Ducklite .... I am not saying she did and i am not saying she did not, i am saying do not believe everything the press want you to believe! after all how can the Captain have a Fair Trial now that stuff like the Coastguard recording has been released? you have to now Question if it can in fact be used at a Trial!! it may be Innadmissable as Evidence.

Maybe some more will turn up, fingers crossed. But I can't see a father not letting his family know that he and his 5-year-old daughter were alive.

Archived