Cruise Boss Slams Passenger 'Sensationalism' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ST-UK

I am going to play devil's advocate here. So I am putting on the flame suit.

I will admit that the captain is a louse in leaving the ship. I will admit that other officers that left the ship should also be charged to the fullest extent the law allows.

I know that ifI did not participate in any muster drill (estimated at 600) I would be confused as to what to do in case of emergency. Now let's add the procedure of what to do if the ship is listing a lot. I was never informed of what to do, have any of you? Are they going to announce it over the intercom? In what language? Will we be able to hear it with all the screaming, crying and panic that has begun in everyone?

Some of the crew abandoned the ship, most of the crew stayed on the ship to do what they could in an extreme emergency. Some of the crew lost their lives also.

I think the rescuers did a great job given the circumstances. The crew was left without leadership until another captain called the "abandon ship" order. Sure there was choas and panicked people.

How would anyone here state in a nice way that the crew was there to do what they had to in spite of their captain leaving? Keep in mind that not many of the crew knew that the captain had left the ship. If you were one of the crew who risked their life to save other lives and you were being slammed, how would you feel? How about if it was one of your friends?

I think people need to step back and took a look at things from all angles.

Very well said and I couldn't agree more!

Playing devil's advocate here, since I don't judge anyone, especially with the translation so bad they can't figure out this lady is an assistant cruise director, but I am sure she is under just as much stress as everyone else and is rushing to defend her comrades (the crew) who did safely evacuate alot of people in probably amongst the worst possible circumstances. Eventually, someone was gonna snap who works for Costa, I probably would too eventually. The media is reporting every single story as fact and then sensationalizing it to the point where this story has become like a soap opera.

Her blame is off point though, the passengers are PO'd and upset and telling the story they remember through the haze. She should be blaming the media coverage, which has been awful. Fact checking before reporting it? Nah.

EDIT: Great post above, but be prepared for the flame. This board has devolved into a warzone the past few days, people need to respect one anothers opinions and not attack for everything.

I don't think there is any doubt they were doing the best they can without any leadership whatsoever.

Exactly. The crew are trained to follow step to evacuate once they receive the order from the captain. The LACK OF LEADERSHIP & COMMUNICATION caused the confusion that made them look like they didn't know what they were doing. :mad:

""He (Crewmember) reported to his emergency post, a life raft for 35 crew members, and awaited the abandon-ship order, which didn't come for over an hour, prompting many junior officers to take matters into their own hands and begin evacuating passengers."

Her letter would have been better received had she blamed the press for the sensationalism rather than the passengers.

I was not there, I do not doubt that much of the crew did the best they could under the circumstances. They were essentially left leaderless when they needed a leader the most.

While, I understand she is defending her co-workers, to complain about the passengers really leaves a bad taste in my mouth as to their attitude towards the passengers in general - especially when a number of passengers either swam to shore to rescue themselves, or had to be rescued by the coast guard.

Costa should let her go if for no other reason than her exceedingly poor judgment in making the comments.

Well I read her comments and have decided that I am going to book a Cruise with Costa ...they seem like a great caring company !! NOT :mad:

Talk about add fuel to the fire by talking about poor passengers like this !!

Furious ...I would never go near Costa ever ..

I think most of us know that there were pockets of absolute heroism and bravery by the rank and file of the crew. We've heard some reports that Captain Bosio, an off duty captain, fully participated in rescue efforts and clearing the ship. What seems to be common from all reports is that the Captain and the majority of the onboard leadership (officers it appears) failed utterly in providing assistance to their crew and passengers.

No one - especially RIGHT NOW - should be criticizing passengers when their first instinct and instructions are to "Obey and follow all crew directives." It appears there were no directives or instructions for the vast majority of people.

Archived