How does celebrity monitor the captains?

travelberlin

Hi you all,

After the Costa Concordia tragedy, in which the Captain seems to be responsible, I am interested to know who is the authority who monitors the performance of the captains while cruising and how do they do it. Since I am planning to cruise with Celebrity quite often, I thought I post it here, but I am interested in general. This means that if you have information on that subject from other cruise lines I would appreciate your answers.

Hi you all,

After the Costa Concordia tragedy, in which the Captain seems to be responsible, I am interested to know who is the authority who monitors the performance of the captains while cruising and how do they do it. Since I am planning to cruise with Celebrity quite often, I thought I post it here, but I am interested in general. This means that if you have information on that subject from other cruise lines I would appreciate your answers.

We have a new post "Century Good or Bad " just listed .

We can tell you that there was a Capt on the Celebrity Mercury in San Diego port who was arrested by the US Coast Guard because they smelled alcohol on his breath(the story was written up by the San Diego Union Tribune --our major news paper:o. From what we have witnessed in 53 past cruises there is no information on if the cruise lines monitor the behavior patterns of their senior officers :rolleyes:.Perhaps some one else has specific knowledge of this issue:confused:

He was actually arrested in Seattle, after the Coast Guard smelled the alcohol on his breath while on a routine inspection. He broke company policy, which forbids ship officers from consuming alcohol eight hours before reporting for duty. He was scheduled to be on duty at 5 p.m.

I'm glad Celebrity has such policies.

He was actually arrested in Seattle, after the Coast Guard smelled the alcohol on his breath while on a routine inspection. He broke company policy, which forbids ship officers from consuming alcohol eight hours before reporting for duty. He was scheduled to be on duty at 5 p.m.

I'm glad Celebrity has such policies.

that is daft, when alcohol can stay in your system 24 hours later. If he went out in a bender up to 8 hours before he would still be intoxicated. It should be the same zero tolerance that some european countries have with driving.

Archived