Cabin Booking Myth---Accessible Cabins

kitty9

I can offer an update on the way Celebrity are approaching this, at least in the UK.

I have booked a cruise this morning and my initial enquiry was about an accesible cabin. In the end, we have gone for a suite where I can get the wheelchair through the door, but our TA obviously still had the accessible cabin in the back of her mind when we were going through the formalities.

During the booking she asked if she could confirm the extent of my wheelchair use and if it was full time or partial. "They are getting very tight with us now about people with mobility needs", she said.

In the end, her question isn't relevant because we've gone for a larger, standard cabin but I'm very pleased that she was obliged to check up and that Celebrity at least seem to be cracking down.

I've absolutely no problem with someone lucking into a W cabin late in the day when they are trying to fill the ship, but it peeves me when they are all full a fortnight after the brochure comes out or I have to pay top whack to get one.

Edited by Chunky2219

Your comments shows what my post directly above is trying to make people aware. Special needs can support needs on your cruise without taking up a wheelchair accessable room. Shower stools can be ordered for a standard room which allows a person to sit down while showering. Portable grab bars can be used. In fact, for balance problems, being able to touch walls and support objects are better than trying to walk open spaces. I not sure how pulling a string is more effective than picking up the phone and explaining the emergency directly to someone who immedicately can respond with proper equipment. Pulling the string only brings security not medical. I agree not all medical issue can be seen BUT the are called wheelchair assessable for a reason. Please allow those rooms for people that need the space to be able to get in the door, get in bed and get into a bathroom.

I whole heartedly agree with your thinking. Unfortunately, the cruise lines are a million miles away from being able to make this work.

On our last cruise, with Cunard, I once again asked for a shower stool in the cabin. "No joy" they said, "we have a finite number and when they are all booked up then tough luck. But you can buy one of your own and we can even recommend a shop in Southampton".

I also know that even though I can stand with crutches, I couldn't cope in tiny little shower of some of the smaller standard cabins. I'd bring the curtains down! I've coped in larger standard cabins by dismantling my wheelchair in the corridor to get it through the narrow door. But for some people, even without a chair, an accesible cabin is the only way to go.

I have a HC requiring a scooter and have already reserved an AX room on RCL Enchantment next Jan. (2013) on Deck 7. Does anyone know the difference between an AX and AW Jr. Suite HC room except for the balcony size? The AW balcony is listed as 39 sq. ft; the AW balcony as 74 sq. ft. If you look at a deck plan, all the balcony widths look alike from the exterior. My TA could not get an answer from RCL! Has anyone been in one of these that can tell me?

Thanks

We have traveled with elderly and disabled relatives on Celebrity and RCI, and in their experience the handicaped cabins they were in were literally close to double the size of a regular stateroom. That would explain why some people try to book them (not agreeing with doing it - just saying why they would). The only negative was the bathroom water on the floor problem, due to the need to allow wheelchairs. In some cases, they were asked to submit completed disability forms; in others they were not.

I would never book these cabins unnecessarily and do not think much of people who do. That said, I wonder how anyone knows the cabins are being filled with 'able-bodied' passengers?? Just because you see someone walk out of there with no apparent issues doesn't necessarily mean they are not sharing the cabin with someone who is disabled. Or perhaps they have an issue like MS which sometimes flares up and requires cane or wheelchair, and sometimes goes into remission for awhile so the person appears 'able-bodied'. Do you sit outside their cabin day and night and watch or what?? I can't imagine any employee would share this information with you- certainly not give you a blow by blow of each handicapped cabin. You also don't know if they booked these cabins late when they may have been opened up by the cruiseline. As to pricing, as long as final payment has not yet been made, you can call Celebrity and get a price reduction if the price goes down.

I do not mean to sound anti-disabled, as I definitely, definitely am not. As I said, I have regularly cruised with disabled relatives and do understand the challenges. I just think one must not jump to conclusions too quickly. I remember once when my husband had extensive knee surgery and legitimately had a handicapped sticker for our car for a period of time. He had his cast off but could not walk long distances. He was virtually accosted by a self-righteous do-gooder when he parked (legitimately) in a handicapped space as he appeared to be 'able-bodied' when in fact he was not. In his case, he would not have needed a handicapped room, but I am making the point that one should be careful when assuming you know all the facts when you may not.

And to those who knowingly book a handicapped room (prior to last minute when they are open to all) shame on you for taking space needed by someone who could not cruise otherwise.

Thank you very much for your "right on" post. My DH is afflicted with Parksinson's. Sometimes he can walk sometimes not. We would be happy to trade the HC cabin anyday for my husband to be 100%

I did not know you could ask for a shower chair. BUT in some rooms that would slow down showering where you just get wet, soap up, turn around and the walls do the scrubbing. :p

Mr dear son booked us into a handuicaped room at a hotel once, thinking the shower seat would aid me. It did, but water got all over the bathroom floor.:(

I don't plan to have a shower chair, although there is supposed to be a fold down bench; I have knee problems, so getting over the side of a tub to take a shower is possible but very tedious. The problem with water on the bathroom floor seems to be a well known commodity. Perhaps we can roll up a towel to use as a barrier at the threshold. (You can always wring out a towel!)

Your idea of spinning the shower chair around and letting the walls do the wishing is a good one however!! Maybe a piano stool?

We had a HC cabin on the Explorer with drain grills on the floor in place of a raised lip, which didn't stop the water at all. We requested extra large bathroom towels from the attendant to use all week and that stopped the dribble of water.

2384123880096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

We put the towel barrier around both grilles.

Thank you very much for your "right on" post. My DH is afflicted with Parksinson's. Sometimes he can walk sometimes not. We would be happy to trade the HC cabin anyday for my husband to be 100%

We totally understand Lovey. My Hubby had Polio at age 9mo. I would pay the price of a suite for a lowly inside cabin if he could have the use of his legs again. Post Polio Syndrome is so heart breaking.

For us to cruise ( and we DO! ) we take his huge power chair, an electric hower lift, oversized bedside commode, Bipap, Oxygen concentrator, and miscellaneous supplies for his day to day needs.

Maybe if the AB person could just ONE DAY be in his shoes - er chair - there would be more thought given to their choices.

OK I'll get down off my soap box now.

Big Booper; the towel idea is what I was thinking of doing as well.

I wonder why there isn't a central drain as well as the grills with a very minimal slope into it. At least it would catch some of the water. Another idea might be a very small rounded spring loaded outer grill edge that would flatten when stepped upon, perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 inch high. It would be enough to catch and stop water flow out and yet not act as an obstacle. The entire grille could be tilted minimally, and return slowly to flat when stepped upon.

Interesting thread. My TA and I were chatting this morning, and he had a huge rant about about HA cabins.

For years; he's had a number of disabled cruisers book through him, but now they're finding it nearly impossible to get a cabin. the change? Well in the past you had to get the TA to phone the cruise line to get into an HA cabin, but some disabled people challenged that saying it was too difficult to book cabins, and this was an unnecessary hindrance under ADA. ADA then forced the cruise lines are forced to put a 'I need an HA cabin' as a check box, and lots of people who don't need it, select it thinking (erroneously or not) that this will get them a bigger cabin and/or bathroom

Now there's a shortage of HA cabins because anyone can easily book them with a single additional click. He has [disabled] people with 20+ years of cruising, and now they can't find sailings with HA cabins.

Then we turned the conversation to fake service dogs....

Edited by scottbee

I know what you mean. I am a physician and often have to say "no" to people requesting HC parking tags because there is just no reason for it. Many people abuse these privileges! I never used a HC cabin before this one, which I was lucky enough to book while on a shipboard. My orthopedic med issues force me to use a scooter now due to very limited mobility at age 75, and my ortho doc suggested it. Otherwise I can't get around the ship or get off at ports, and it is risky to use the ship bath/shower. Although I still work a few hours a week, I cannot stand except for brief periods or walk short distances without sitting and restarting. Believe me, I'd rather not need one!

For years; he's had a number of disabled cruisers book through him, but now they're finding it nearly impossible to get a cabin. the change? Well in the past you had to get the TA to phone the cruise line to get into an HA cabin, but some disabled people challenged that saying it was too difficult to book cabins, and this was an unnecessary hindrance under ADA. ADA then forced the cruise lines are forced to put a 'I need an HA cabin' as a check box, and lots of people who don't need it, select it thinking (erroneously or not) that this will get them a bigger cabin and/or bathroom.

You can't simply click the box that you need an accessible cabin and book one. Clicking the box brings up a live chat screen. Presumably, they will get back to you with the requirement that a form must be completed detailing their need. Of course, this won't stop some from lying or at least exaggerating, and cruise lines are prohibited by law from requiring proof. At least the intermediary step will give most people pause that are attempting to simply get a bigger room without needing an accessible one.

What I have issue with is that the form is not required to be submitted until 30 days before sailing. I'm unaware if this is part of the ADA laws, but if the period were reduced to 30 days after booking, this would help. If the cabin is not released until 30 days before sailing, they may have already decided to remove the HC designation from any remaining cabins, so they become fair game for anyone to book.

I think the cruise lines should have to hold the HC cabins until something like 30 days out and then they should be able to release them so they can fill the ship. I personally do not like them but can see a day in the future when I might need one. I would really bother me if someone that doesn't need it gets one and I couldn't book one more than 30 days out. Of course, sometimes I'm sure they are just fully and legitimately occupied.

• 4 years later...

I am about to go on a Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda in a few weeks and booked a suite... I didn't WANT or ASK for a HC room, just wanted a suite. My TA booked me in a "guarantee" HC room. I was told we would be moved if a person who actually needed it wanted it. And that was fine. I do NOT need it NOR wanted it... it was just available and according to my TA "normal procedure". Believe me I have had family members as well as co-workers who truly needed HC rooms and would never take that away. I just didn't understand why I couldn't book a regular suite - there were others available. If anyone can clue me in... And yes I was given the story of upgrade possibilities but honestly I was just so tickled to be in a suite after traveling Aqua Class in Celebrity that I didn't care if I was on the lowest "rung" of the Suite tier. I mean, I seriously don't want the 40,000 sf penthouse because then I'd never leave it :-) But honestly I'm confused at all of this. I am an able-bodied, non-physically-challenged mid-40s male who would have been fine in a regular suite. Still unclear as to why I got my suite (and have a cabin number and had it well in advance) rather than a regular suite. Anyone...?

If you read this thread (from 2012, by the way) you will see lots of conflicting information. This seems to be something that nobody really understands. And I suspect that in the intervening 4 years there may be new information on this subject.

I am about to go on a Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda in a few weeks and booked a suite... I didn't WANT or ASK for a HC room, just wanted a suite. My TA booked me in a "guarantee" HC room. I was told we would be moved if a person who actually needed it wanted it. And that was fine. I do NOT need it NOR wanted it... it was just available and according to my TA "normal procedure". Believe me I have had family members as well as co-workers who truly needed HC rooms and would never take that away. I just didn't understand why I couldn't book a regular suite - there were others available. If anyone can clue me in... And yes I was given the story of upgrade possibilities but honestly I was just so tickled to be in a suite after traveling Aqua Class in Celebrity that I didn't care if I was on the lowest "rung" of the Suite tier. I mean, I seriously don't want the 40,000 sf penthouse because then I'd never leave it :-) But honestly I'm confused at all of this. I am an able-bodied, non-physically-challenged mid-40s male who would have been fine in a regular suite. Still unclear as to why I got my suite (and have a cabin number and had it well in advance) rather than a regular suite. Anyone...?

The M-class ships seem to have too many HA sky suites. We booked a sky suite when there were 5 S2's open - ALL of them HA.

If you live in the US and were assigned a HA suite but you notice regular suites open, you are able to call and switch cabins.

I would never book these cabins unnecessarily and do not think much of people who do. That said, I wonder how anyone knows the cabins are being filled with 'able-bodied' passengers?? Just because you see someone walk out of there with no apparent issues doesn't necessarily mean they are not sharing the cabin with someone who is disabled. Or perhaps they have an issue like MS which sometimes flares up and requires cane or wheelchair, and sometimes goes into remission for awhile so the person appears 'able-bodied'. Do you sit outside their cabin day and night and watch or what?? I can't imagine any employee would share this information with you- certainly not give you a blow by blow of each handicapped cabin. You also don't know if they booked these cabins late when they may have been opened up by the cruiseline. As to pricing, as long as final payment has not yet been made, you can call Celebrity and get a price reduction if the price goes down.

I do not mean to sound anti-disabled, as I definitely, definitely am not. As I I just think one must not jump to conclusions too quickly. I remember once when my husband had extensive knee surgery and legitimately had a handicapped sticker for our car for a period of time. He had his cast off but could not walk long distances. He was virtually accosted by a self-righteous do-gooder when he parked (legitimately) in a handicapped space as he appeared to be 'able-bodied' when in fact he was not. In his case, he would not have needed a handicapped room, but I am making the point that one should be careful when assuming you know all the facts when you may not.

I agree, all who look able bodied are not. Did the OP actually knock on the door and ask if they were disabled?

If I were assigned a HC cabin and a person with a scooter came and asked me about it If they were in a cabin I could accept ( Balcony or better which I only book) I would gladly trade cabins.

My husband and I, unknowing, had an accessible sky suite booked for our upcoming Spain/Portugal cruise. When I discovered what our TA had done, he explained, as I have read in other post, that we would be moved to another SS when one became available and that the accessible SS was the only one available at booking. A short time later when friends decided to join us on the cruise, they were able to book a SS (through our TA). While happy for them, we were upset with the TA (and Celebrity) for not switching us to another SS when one was available. We simply couldn't live with knowing that we could be depriving someone of much needed space that we could do without. We ended up moving to another (more expensive) SS as that was all that was available. Our TA thought we were crazy to pay more for less space! It seems that Celebrity (and our TA) couldn't have cared less who booked the accessible cabin!

As many have pointed out, it can often be difficult to see a disability. Some people get short of breath and need a centrally located cabin. Some people cannot sit on a lower toilet seat due to back or hip issues. Some people cannot make the small step into the bathroom due to decreased quad strength and poor balance.

You never know what the person's disability is until you ask. I know people glare at me when I pre-board on Southwest airlines. I register that they cannot see why I do. I would pay if they would let me choose a seat, but unfortunately, paying the $12 to get a higher number does not guarantee me getting the seat I need. Trust me, I would rather not have to deal with the issue I deal with.

It is essential to not judge as you are not in the person's shoes.

My husband and I booked B2B cruises through an agency. We asked for 'guaranteed inside'. When I checked our reservation on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean later, I saw that we were assigned HC cabins on both cruises. I checked our paperwork to see if somehow our TA flagged us as needing an HC cabin. I don't see anything. We do not need these and would be happy to exchange with someone who does need it. I'm not sure how to go about this since we booked the guaranteed inside and had no input into which cabin we received.

Any thoughts?