Two Vista class ships at HMC is one too many

sailandcruise

I was on the recent Zuiderdam Panama Canal partial transit January 6-16. We called at Half Moon Cay on Saturday January 7 from 8am to 3pm. The Westerdam was also there that day, also arriving at 8am but not departing until later. The facilities were not adequate for two ships. The beach area was crowded, there were long lines (and waits) for lunch, and the watersports rentals (hobie cats and sunfish) were oversubscribed. (Other equipment and facilities may also have been crowded or oversubscribed too; I am only commenting on the services and facilities that I used or attempted to use.) Worse, even though the Zuiderdam's scheduled time was shorter than the Westerdam's, the island-based tenders were used for the Westerdam, so the Zuiderdam relied on the lifeboats to tender guests ashore. This resulted in long lines and waits for those of us on the Zuiderdam -- many guests couldn't get to shore until almost noon -- and the last tender back left the island at 2:30pm. Seems to me that the Zuiderdam's guests should have been given priority for tendering to the island since we had to leave earlier. HAL seems to be trying to squeeze too many guests onto this beautiful island at once -- better scheduling of the ships and better planning for using the tenders would make for a better guest experience.

I was on the recent Zuiderdam Panama Canal partial transit January 6-16. We called at Half Moon Cay on Saturday January 7 from 8am to 3pm. The Westerdam was also there that day, also arriving at 8am but not departing until later. The facilities were not adequate for two ships. The beach area was crowded, there were long lines (and waits) for lunch, and the watersports rentals (hobie cats and sunfish) were oversubscribed. (Other equipment and facilities may also have been crowded or oversubscribed too; I am only commenting on the services and facilities that I used or attempted to use.) Worse, even though the Zuiderdam's scheduled time was shorter than the Westerdam's, the island-based tenders were used for the Westerdam, so the Zuiderdam relied on the lifeboats to tender guests ashore. This resulted in long lines and waits for those of us on the Zuiderdam -- many guests couldn't get to shore until almost noon -- and the last tender back left the island at 2:30pm. Seems to me that the Zuiderdam's guests should have been given priority for tendering to the island since we had to leave earlier. HAL seems to be trying to squeeze too many guests onto this beautiful island at once -- better scheduling of the ships and better planning for using the tenders would make for a better guest experience.

I agree with you..Two Vista ships is too many..IMOyou should write to Seattle with your comments..

We'll be there Jan 30 on the NA..Hope we're the only ones in then..If not will stay aboard as it's not worth it to us to go ashore with a crowd..

A gal from our Condo & her family, I think was on the same cruise with you...Saw her briefly the other day & she said she loved the Zuiderdam & also raved about the food & service..When I see her again I'll ask her if she went to HMC..

Cheers...

Betty

Living in SW Florida with my own heated pool, I don't even get off the ship in HMC. It's nice having the ship to yourself. If they can't get to HMC I'm happy to get the refund of port taxes.

We also live in SW Fl (Cape Cora)l, but love the beach & enjoy taking a dip in the Atlantic at HMC..But if it's too crowded, we're with you, it's not worth it to us to go ashore..:eek:

Living in SW Florida with my own heated pool, I don't even get off the ship in HMC. It's nice having the ship to yourself. If they can't get to HMC I'm happy to get the refund of port taxes.

Each to their own!!!

I would be so upset to miss out on this stop.

HMC was a lovely surprise for us! We walked as far as we could from the crowds, found some shade under some palm trees, swam in the gentle waves and felt like we were in paradise.

The only other people we saw were the crew allowed to go ashore, who also knew to get away from the masses and make the most of it!!!

:D:D:D

In the 4 months between January and April 2012 there are only 10 occasions when 2 HAL ships are in HMC on the same day.

Jan 1 - Maasdam & Westerdam

Jan 7 - Westerdam & Zuiderdam

Jan 14 - N Amsterdam & Noordam

Feb 7 - Maasdam & Zuiderdam

Feb 11 - N Amsterdam & Westerdam

Feb 25 - N Amsterdam & Noordam

March 10 - N Amsterdam & Zuiderdam

March 24 – Maasdam & N Amsterdam

March 31 – Westerdam & Zuiderdam

April 10 – Noordam & Zuiderdam

In the 4 months between January and April 2012 there are only 10 occasions when 2 HAL ships are in HMC on the same day.

Thank you for posting this info! :) DW & I will then be going ashore, (from the Noordam), at HMC, during our 16-Day Collector's Cruise, on April 3, during the first segment, with one ship at HMC, rather than on April 10, during the second segement, with two ships at HMC! ;)

Carol - thanks very much for posting this - it's a big help to a lot of people:)

Two ships is too many for us too - glad to see ours is not on your list :D

Just checked the Port schedule & we'll be by ourselves on Jan 30 but feel sorry for those on the on Jan 14..The Noordam & the Nieuw Amsterdam will be there at the same time:eek::eek:..IMO that's too many people for that lovely Island..

cheers..Betty

I was there on the 14th. Not sure what all the fuss is about - everything was good!

We willbe there on feb 7 and i see that the Maasdam will also be there. We have an 8:30 am excursion booked. How does that work re the tenders off of the ship?

Mar56

I believe that the ship with the most guests gets to use the large island based tenders. So getting off the Zuiderdam on the 7th should be fairly easy.

Yes, two Vistas or even worse a Vista and a Signature make HMC crowded. We've been there and done it and have learned how to 'jockey it' to make it doable for us. Depending if your ship arrives first, you probably will have to walk down the beach to get a good spot/lounger but unless you have mobility problems, it shouldn't be too terrible to have to walk that heavenly beach to find a nice spot. :) A great many people choose to walk it once they've settled their things so why not walk it when you arrive and pick the spot you like.

Our best ever was Maasdam alone.

Our second best was Maasdam and Prinsendam.

Our most busy a Vista and a Signature.

We loved all of those visits.

Our worst visits are those we have had to miss stopping due to unsafe conditions. ;)

We don't always get things just the way we want them.

I believe that the ship with the most guests gets to use the large island based tenders. So getting off the Zuiderdam on the 7th should be fairly easy.

Thanks bishop 84 for your reply. I was wondering about timing as well. A previous poster mentioned that some people didn't get off until around noon and that would mean that we would miss our excursion, however from your explanation, that may be taken care of. I seem to remember reading something about some priority if you had an excursion but I was wondering how that would work exactly?

Mar56

For any ship excursion in a tender port, your excursion ticket will indicate time and place you are to join your group. Go to that location and you will be led as a group to the tenders and taken ashore. Assuming you do as instructed, you will not be left behind or left out of your excursion.

Even for non-tender port excursion, the ticket, which will be on the counter in your cabin, will indicate time and place to meet whether ashore or on the ship.

Carnival sails the Caribbean all summer while HAL does not. They use HMC 12 months a year, which is a good thing IMO What a waste for it to sit unused for 6 months out of the year while HAL sails everywhere but in the Caribbean.

Carnival and HAL ships have never shared the island same day.

We shared with a Seabourn ship once but that was quite a different thing. :)

Archived