Yellow Emeralds?

calenita

I just finished a cruise with the Holland American ship, the Statendam. I had a good experience with the sales rep in the gift shop there. Her name is Tracy and she is selling Yellow Emeralds. I had never heard of this stone, and she told me an interesting story of how they are mined in Brazil, and very similar to the green Emeralds. They are really quite beautiful so I decided to give them a chance and had my husband buy me a simple ring with a Yellow Emerald. So far so good and I am happy with it. :) Overall, the Statendam cruise was pretty cool, we went through the Panama canal but the cruise might have been too long for me. I guess you can only eat so many buffets and see the same people over and over on the ship, lol. Anyway I thought other people might like to hear about the gemstone since they seemed very nice and I think I got a good deal.

• 9 months later...

In March 2013 I was on a Holland American cruise and won a .94 carat pear-shaped yellow emerald, or Beryl. It is 9x6 mm., S1 quality. I looked online for the value when I returned home and found it to be about $250. I would not have purchased one on board ship (they were 3-4 times higher than that on board) but since I won it in a drawing, I will have it set as a pendant. It's really pretty.

As an aside - did not really like the shops on the Summit. I think of all the ships we have been one - five - I liked this shopping the least and it is reflected in the fact we just bought two t-shirts from the sale table!

I agree that the Summit has really poor shops. We didn't buy anything more an a shot class for DH's collection. The merchandise in the non-jewelry shops were over priced and poor quality. The good jewelry was just over priced.

• 7 months later...

I'm a gemologist who spends a great deal of time on ships for vacations.

I too have seen the Mysterious yellow Emerald. According to G.I.A -gemologcal institute of america, Heliodor is the Technical tern for golden beryl.

Beryl is the family containing Emerald (green), Aquamarine ( Blue), Morganite (pink to peach color), Helidor Golden yellow), Bixbite (red- very rare) & Goshenite (colorless -rare).

Helidor is referred to as yellow emerald (but should have the name Helidor attached). They are graded by color & clarity like all Beryls).

By the way, the GIA accepts oiling as an enhancement. Most (about 75% of all Emeralds are oiled under pressure). It is a permanent process, unlike waxing or just applying surface oil). By the way I carry small hand- sanitizer wipes. I ALways wipe off the ring etc. before trying it on.

Just don't use them on opals, pearls, turquoise, or porous gems.

Also with price, I go on my ipad (or Internet cafe) and look thinks up.

Hope this helps out.

I just finished a cruise with the Holland American ship, the Statendam. I had a good experience with the sales rep in the gift shop there. Her name is Tracy and she is selling Yellow Emeralds. I had never heard of this stone, and she told me an interesting story of how they are mined in Brazil, and very similar to the green Emeralds. They are really quite beautiful so I decided to give them a chance and had my husband buy me a simple ring with a Yellow Emerald. So far so good and I am happy with it. :) Overall, the Statendam cruise was pretty cool, we went through the Panama canal but the cruise might have been too long for me. I guess you can only eat so many buffets and see the same people over and over on the ship, lol. Anyway I thought other people might like to hear about the gemstone since they seemed very nice and I think I got a good deal.
Edited by Sahaj
Correct spelling

I'm a gemologist who spends a great deal of time on ships for vacations.

I too have seen the Mysterious yellow Emerald. According to G.I.A -gemologcal institute of america, Heliodor is the Technical tern for golden beryl.

Beryl is the family containing Emerald (green), Aquamarine ( Blue), Morganite (pink to peach color), Helidor Golden yellow), Bixbite (red- very rare) & Goshenite (colorless -rare).

Helidor is referred to as yellow emerald (but should have the name Helidor attached). They are graded by color & clarity like all Beryls).

By the way, the GIA accepts oiling as an enhancement. Most (about 75% of all Emeralds are oiled under pressure). It is a permanent process, unlike waxing or just applying surface oil). By the way I carry small hand- sanitizer wipes. I ALways wipe off the ring etc. before trying it on.

Just don't use them on opals, pearls, turquoise, or porous gems.

Also with price, I go on my ipad (or Internet cafe) and look thinks up.

Hope this helps out.

What source do you use on your iPad to "look things up"? I would like to find a good source to check out gems when i travel.

The very last place that we would ever buy jewelry is on a cruise ship.

Second last place would be in the Caribbean...if with one of the phoney appraisal certificates.

The third last place would be at retail jewelry chain store in a large shopping mall.

Same sort of thing with the topaz they call Caribbean (or Northern Lights in the Alaska stores). My research revealed that it's basically cheap topaz that's been treated to have a mirror-type effect. You have to be careful not to clean them in harsh chemicals or scratch the back of the stones. I have a couple of pieces that I love, but I didn't pay much for them. :cool:

glad this thread popped up again--am now sure I will not be looking for an Emerald bracelet in Columbia! I am thinking we may be better off with some local crafts or art work..

in the past I have enjoyed purchases of jewelry in ports.. but no major gem stones. Mostly turquoise (sp?) or coral...and a green garnet which was in a a nice setting. Nowadays I avoid the stores--not sure what you are getting or the value; and the shopping guides are really shills... sadly the maps handed out focus more on shopping than local culture, arts/crafts and food.

• 1 month later...

While traveling on The Ruby Princess late Feb 2014 I saw a yellow emerald ring and fell in love with it

I did not purchase it after reading reviews I came home purchased a beautiful

round 7mm from my own jeweler for 150.00 and on my next cruise I found an amazing mounting in St a Thomas at a Little Switzerland in 18 kt white gold with diamonds the ring my jeweler designed was amazing and I bought it for on 5 th of the price of a 14 kt ring on the ship.

My stone loose was 150.0@ vs 390.00 for a much less quality gemstone on board I was so glad to have read the reviews on cruise critic

Buyers beware