Help with Open Passages Certificate (Celebrity)

ILikeShips

Hello Everyone -

We have been dealing with family illnesses and now are back again to pick up cruising! Feel a little out of touch. Could someone explain about Open Passages Certificate and how to go about obtaining, as mentioned by a previous poster? Also, does the stateroom steward still bring a pitcher of ice & water twice a day or does one need to purchase bottled water? thanks in advance!

Passages can only be purchased aboard a cruise. They cost $100.00 if they have one name, or $200.00 if two names are on it. It gives you a reservation number, but it's not assigned to a cruise. Then, when you decide what cruise you'd like, you either have your TA apply it to that cruise, or call Celebrity and have them apply it. That reservation number carries onto the actual booking.

The benefits are that you needn't pay a further deposit (the $100.00/$200.00 purchase takes the place of the usual deposit), and you will receive an on-board credit (OBC) ranging from $50.00 to $300.00 depending upon the length of the cruise.

An unapplied passage does not expire. However, if you apply it then decide not to take that cruise, you would HAVE to assign the passage number to another cruise, it cannot revert to an open passage. Some people, when in that situation, will simply continue assigning it to distant cruises, to keep it viable, until they find the one they actually take.

There are several minor details, but those are the major points.

Harris

Denver, CO

Open Passages do carry an OBC with them. The value of the OBC is dependent upon the length of the voyage.

When booking your next cruise with an Open Passage, simply give the Certificate Number to your TA or the Celebrity Cruise Planner or Captain's Club rep as that number becomes your reservation ID.

I am currently booked on a 14 night cruise for April and I used my Open Passages Certificate that I purchased on a cruise about 4 years ago. Because it is a 14 night cruise, my OBC will be $300.00.

Sorry, I cannot answer the ice and pitcher of water in the cabin question - it's been 4 years since my last cruise.

Hello Everyone -

We have been dealing with family illnesses and now are back again to pick up cruising! Feel a little out of touch. Could someone explain about Open Passages Certificate and how to go about obtaining, as mentioned by a previous poster? Also, does the stateroom steward still bring a pitcher of ice & water twice a day or does one need to purchase bottled water? thanks in advance!

You may purchase these when you are on a Celebrity cruise. You may possibly be able to purchase them on RCI cruises as well, I'm not sure about that, as I have never cruised RCI.

The advantage is that the certificates do not expire and your down payment is only $100/pp. You will receive OBC in an amount that changes depending on the length of your sailing.

The other option is to book a specific future cruise when you are on board. In addition to OBC, you will receive a category upgrade.

Your stateroom attendant will refill your water pitcher (on M class) when he/she services the cabin (2X daily). Please let your stateroom attendant know if you would like your ice refreshed at times other than that. We always request that the ice bucket be filled at 4:00 p.m. in addition to the other times.

For some odd reason, S class ships do not have water pitchers, although I hear they can be requested.

There is never a need to purchase bottled water. The water that comes out of the tap is perfectly fine.

Enjoy your return to cruising!

The benefits are that you needn't pay a further deposit (the $100.00/$200.00 purchase takes the place of the usual deposit), and you will receive an on-board credit (OBC) ranging from $50.00 to $300.00 depending upon the length of the cruise.

That's not necessarily true. I still had to pay a $480.00* deposit for my upcoming cruise that was booked with an Open Passage.

* $480.00 being the designated deposit for Canadian travellers paying in Canadian funds.

Edited to add:

I purchased RCI Open Passages while on a Celebrity cruise so I imagine it would work the same if I were on a RCI cruise and purchased Celebrity Open Passages.

I have purchased Celebrity Open Passages on a RCI cruise.

In fact, my intention was to book the specific cruise on board, but their computer was down so we weren't able to book and get the category upgrade. All we could get was the Open Passages certificate.

The $100 is PART of the deposit fee, which will be deducted from the rest of it when you do book. I have done this 3 times and will do it again every cruise. I'm not always sure what or when I'm going to book and always have to find a roomie since DH passed away. It's nice to have this option and still get OBC.

Happy Cruiser 6143--the Passages expire in 2 yrs, unless that has changed since last June.

The first time DH and I used one it was 1 yr. 2 yrs is much better.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib.

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

1/12 Summit S. Carib.

I purchased my Open Passage Certificate for $100.00 as well but I was still required to pay a $480.00 CDN deposit when booking the cruise this past October.

Did you book your cruise through a TA and did she put you in a group? If you go into a group booking you have to pay the full deposit. I have a cruise booked with my Open Passages for Apr 2013 and did not have to pay anything extra.

The $100 is PART of the deposit fee, which will be deducted from the rest of it when you do book. I have done this 3 times and will do it again every cruise. I'm not always sure what or when I'm going to book and always have to find a roomie since DH passed away. It's nice to have this option and still get OBC.

Happy Cruiser 6143--the Passages expire in 2 yrs, unless that has changed since last June.

The first time DH and I used one it was 1 yr. 2 yrs is much better.

The $100/$200 is the deposit (nothing more req'd unless in a group booking or past final pay't) and the Open Passages do not have an expiry date but they are non refundable.

The first time DH and I used one it was 1 yr. 2 yrs is much better..

I was very surprised to see this because I was always told that they never expire. So reading this motivated me to go pull one out and take a look at it.

It was purchased in December, 2010 and says right on it (down in the small print):

"A Celebrity Passages account shall have no expiration date."

Is it possible that you were confusing Celebrity Passages with some other type of future cruise certificate?

Did you book your cruise through a TA and did she put you in a group? If you go into a group booking you have to pay the full deposit. I have a cruise booked with my Open Passages for Apr 2013 and did not have to pay anything extra.

The $100/$200 is the deposit (nothing more req'd unless in a group booking or past final pay't) and the Open Passages do not have an expiry date but they are non refundable.

No, I did not book my cruise through a TA and no, it is not a group booking. I am travelling solo and I booked it on the telephone with a Celebrity representative in Miami. I was required to pay the full CDN $480.00 deposit at the time of booking. So, in effect, I paid $580.00 at the time of booking - $100.00 which paid in April of 2008 for the Open Passages Certificate when I redeemed the Certificate for this cruise and $480.00 for the deposit for passengers paying in Canadian dollars for a 14 night cruise.

Let me assure you that my deposit was not merely $100.00. So, for whatever reason, there was something more required when I booked - like $580.00 more!

I'm really not clear on what the big deal is on whether you pay the full deposit amount upfront when booking or whatever deposit wasn't paid for upfront then automatically gets tacked on to your final payment. You still have to pay that money whether it is sooner or later.

Open passages certificates do not expire. Says that right on the face of the certificate. And the $100 is the deposit. Period. No need to pay the rest until final payment. That is one of their advantages.

I have actually traveled on open passage bookings, so I know these facts to be accurate. At least in the US.

No, I did not book my cruise through a TA and no, it is not a group booking. I am travelling solo and I booked it on the telephone with a Celebrity representative in Miami. I was required to pay the full CDN $480.00 deposit at the time of booking. So, in effect, I paid $580.00 at the time of booking - $100.00 which paid in April of 2008 for the Open Passages Certificate when I redeemed the Certificate for this cruise and $480.00 for the deposit for passengers paying in Canadian dollars for a 14 night cruise.

Let me assure you that my deposit was not merely $100.00. So, for whatever reason, there was something more required when I booked - like $580.00 more!

I'm really not clear on what the big deal is on whether you pay the full deposit amount upfront when booking or whatever deposit wasn't paid for upfront then automatically gets tacked on to your final payment. You still have to pay that money whether it is sooner or later.

We usually take cruises of 12-14 days and we book really early. We just would rather book our next cruise for $100 than fork out $900 for a cruise more than a year away.

I normally book about a year in advance as well and almost always for a cruise from 11 to 14 nights. For my upcoming cruise, I booked six months out.

I know what I was told respecting what amount was required for my deposit using the Open Passages Certificate and I know what I paid for my deposit back in October, 2011 when I booked my April , 2012 cruise using an Open Passages Certificate.

If you ladies wish to think that I don't know what I am talking about or that I am not telling the truth, go right ahead if that's what makes you happy.

Sorry - didn't mean to upset you. I am definitely not doubting that it happened to you - I just don't know why it did:confused: The Open Passages has always been sufficient to hold the cruise until final pay't for us. I just can't figure out why you had to pay more. I wonder if it has something to do with being a solo traveler? The Passages Desk # is 1-888-727-4906 - I wonder if it is worthwhile to give them a call tomorrow for an explanation.

I normally book about a year in advance as well and almost always for a cruise from 11 to 14 nights. For my upcoming cruise, I booked six months out.

I know what I was told respecting what amount was required for my deposit using the Open Passages Certificate and I know what I paid for my deposit back in October, 2011 when I booked my April , 2012 cruise using an Open Passages Certificate.

If you ladies wish to think that I don't know what I am talking about or that I am not telling the truth, go right ahead if that's what makes you happy.

We're not questioning your veracity, we're just pointing out that something isn't right according to the rules of open passages bookings. Solo traveler shouldn't enter into the equation--my sister has booked open passages bookings on her own for only a $100 deposit.

We're not questioning your veracity, we're just pointing out that something isn't right according to the rules of open passages bookings. Solo traveler shouldn't enter into the equation--my sister has booked open passages bookings on her own for only a $100 deposit.

If I might ask a question....we completed the paperwork for the open passage certificate while on board the Millennium last week, and put it in the box as the future cruise consultant was tied up most of the time. Do you know how long it takes before Celebrity assigns your reservation number?

An unapplied passage does not expire. However, if you apply it then decide not to take that cruise, you would HAVE to assign the passage number to another cruise, it cannot revert to an open passage. Some people, when in that situation, will simply continue assigning it to distant cruises, to keep it viable, until they find the one they actually take.

There are several minor details, but those are the major points.

Harris

Denver, CO

I never buy a RCL future cruise credit because they just aren't a smart deal as the Carnival (Princess etc) ones are. My Princess FCC are combinable with OBC, are returned if expire and are fully refundable on request.

The fact that the "X" / Royal ones negate shareholders OBC will expire and are non refundable is criminal IMHO Don't take them

We purchased passage certificates during our Nov. cruise on the Eclipse. In December we booked the Reflection in Jan., 2013 and needed no further deposit. We received $100 OBC as it is a 7 day cruise. Along comes this special they're currently running so I called and made some changes. Was able to cancel first reservation, remake for same cabin number. I couldn't use passages certificates when doing this, but was offered to book another cruise far out just to hold them. Other option was to make new reservation under the current offer and cancel the passages certificates. This resulted in my having to pay full deposit, but gained a $200 reduction in the cost of the cruise, plus a $80 OBC as a captains club bonus. I could of had this plus keep the passages but deceided to use the $200 refund towards my now $500 deposit. End result, saved $200 on cruise and lost only $20. on my OBC. May not sound like much, but $180 saved all together pays for 2 speciality dinners, yum! So yes, they refunded me the cost of the passages. This was done thru a Celebrity representative!

If I might ask a question....we completed the paperwork for the open passage certificate while on board the Millennium last week, and put it in the box as the future cruise consultant was tied up most of the time. Do you know how long it takes before Celebrity assigns your reservation number?

Can't answer that as I would never leave the ship without written verification of what I had booked. I would say if you don't hear in a week, call Celebrity and inquire. Good luck!

You should have received an envelope in your stateroom the next day and it should contain your reservation/confirmation number along with two "Friends & Family" certificates that indicate the master booking number along with the date of issue. At least this has always been the case for me when dropping the request in the box at the future cruise location. This happened as recently as my cruise in December, 2011. You should certainly have received something by now. Did you show a credit card number on the form so they could charge the $100 deposit? :eek:

Archived