To Passport, or not to Passport?

Lady_Gamecock

I have read a lot of comments recently on families choosing NOT to purchase a passport for their children. I'm not passing judgment either way, I'm just interested in finding out what the main reason is.

We always have because we fly internationally, but it interests me in the reasoning behind some families not, esp. now that you have to have one to fly from the Caribbean/Bermuda into the US, purchasing one.

I'm partially nosey, other part inquisitive. :D I know the sticker shock on the new pricing almost made me decide against it - but like I mentioned earlier, we fly a lot, and cannot be without one for each of our children.

Happy and Safe Travels!

Lady_G

We got passports for our family of 7 on our last cruise. Unfortunately, because a child's passport expires in 5 years (plus the 6 month thing, making it really 4 1/2) our dd10 just got a new one for her trip to Ireland in March (just missed cut-off by weeks). They're not cheap. I looked at it like travel insurance (which we also purchased).

+1, get a passport you are set forever almost, travel documents with all the parents documents, and you leave the birth certificate with all your other important papers in homesafe or safety deposit box....

Penny wise, pound foolish. EM

Personally, I would not travel out of my home contry without a PassPort... whether I *could* or not...

My girls had them for our Alsaka Cruise out of Canada (2006) before they were 'required'...

we just got "Traveling GingerBaby" (7mo old) his and my Niece (11yrs) her's, for our upcoming Cruise .

I just feel safer... of course we will still have to carry their birthcirts (to go with the perental consent letters we must carry for them) but thats ok... *If* I needed to I *could* prove who they are, and why they are with me.... :)

~I (personally) think its a bit irresponsable to travel outside the country with out on esp for children... people have the misguided impression, that in an emergency 'they would let them fly home'... )

We didn't get passports for the kids when we took seven grandchildren on a cruise last year.

And yes, it was because of the cost (and hassle) of 7 passports. If that makes us cheap, I guess we are, but we were already paying for cruise, air, hotels and food on shore for 9 people, if that's any excuse.

The hassle is because a couple of the kids have MIA parents; it was hard enugh getting the parental permission forms.

We took the chance and everything worked out fine. If it was just for a couple of my own kids, I'd get passports.

I, too, don't see the point of spending money on something that isn't required. I have no fear of NOT getting home....it may be a hassle, but I WILL get home! None of the Caribbean countries will allow you to stay!!!

Now, if we were to go someplace where passports were required, we'd purchase them!

I, too, don't see the point of spending money on something that isn't required. I have no fear of NOT getting home....it may be a hassle, but I WILL get home! None of the Caribbean countries will allow you to stay!!!

Now, if we were to go someplace where passports were required, we'd purchase them!

This. We live in Florida and sail out of Florida. For the amount we cruise now that Bean is around, it's not worth the money or hassle for things that *might* happen.

You are spending quite a bit of hard earned money on the cruise, so why not spend a few more dollars for the security of a passport?

I would never take the risk and leave the country without one, including my children. JMO.

Well, we did hesitate. Our cruise cost about $3000, and it cost us over $800 for the passports, plus the effort of getting 7 people together and over the office. We got them, never needed them.

Well, we did hesitate. Our cruise cost about $3000, and it cost us over $800 for the passports, plus the effort of getting 7 people together and over the office. We got them, never needed them.

Better Safe then Sorry.

Id rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it...

:)

Aren't you lucky you didn't need your passport :D Do you feel bad you never collected on your fire insurance, your car insurance...

3000 for 7 people cruise, WOW if I could do that I wouldn't hesitate to spend 800 bucks for the passports what a deal 3800 for a cruise for 7!

You are spending quite a bit of hard earned money on the cruise, so why not spend a few more dollars for the security of a passport?

I would never take the risk and leave the country without one, including my children. JMO.

I'm with you on this one. I'm a Government Travel Counselor and I would never think to exit the country with my son without him having a passport.

Just an extra security blanket for my own piece of mind.

LOL I was just wondering the same when I read some of the posts on here. I'd really love a "LIKE" button here on some of these.

I've been in the travel field now for 12 years and I tell any traveler that I do not recommend at all traveling out of the country without a passport(govt travelers on govt orders bringing them out of the country are passport exempt).

Me personally I get nervous at the thought of not having a passport and suddenly really needing it!

Like you said, better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. :D

We have to have passports for everyone since we're Canadian, but I don't travel without them. Even within Canada, they make a very easy form of identification for my children. I prefer using them for identification at airports, because then everyone isn't seeing our address, just our identity.

If I were to be left in a port, I would want to have the least number of possible barriers between me, my family and where we all want to be. Having passports accomplishes this.

I've been in the travel field now for 12 years and I tell any traveler that I do not recommend at all traveling out of the country without a passport(govt travelers on govt orders bringing them out of the country are passport exempt).

Is this new? When I worked for the government, not that long ago, if we were leaving the country, even into Canada, we had to relinquish our personal passport and get a government one. It was a complete pain, especially if you were going to travel on a personal trip around the same time since they needed weeks to process this and as much to get yours back.

I have had an uptodate passport practically since I was born- a very long time ago. As do my kids. I figure I never know when the travel bug might bite and I want to be able to take advantage of it.

Well it's somewhat new that US Service Members or Dept of Defense travelers can travel on orders without a passport (govt or leisure). Some service members have tried to use that as an excuse not to get a passport, something I highly discourage simply because if a service member is injured overseas and the family needs to fly over to help there could be massive issues.

(Talking also from the stance of a military spouse as well)

Now a days, I tell all my customers on the phone that they absolutely should have a passport for all the travelers involved, whether it be for leisure or govt.

LOL I was just wondering the same when I read some of the posts on here. I'd really love a "LIKE" button here on some of these.

Me personally I get nervous at the thought of not having a passport and suddenly really needing it!

Like you said, better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. :D

(Im not in the Travel business, but I do research alot)

it Floors me that people think that "in an emergency they would let me fly" or that it would not be necessary 'in an emergency'..to me thats all the more reason to have one.

And from what I understand, obtaining a PassPort while abroad is a lenghty process and does not happen in one day or even..'overnight'

Aren't you lucky you didn't need your passport :D Do you feel bad you never collected on your fire insurance, your car insurance...

3000 for 7 people cruise, WOW if I could do that I wouldn't hesitate to spend 800 bucks for the passports what a deal 3800 for a cruise for 7!

Hey, I got them, but it does strike a nerve when people state it's only a few bucks more. We sailed NCL, during an off time, and only had 2 cabins (discounts for the 3rd and 4th passenger). No airfare (which usually adds another $2000 to our vacations if we fly).

Well it's somewhat new that US Service Members or Dept of Defense travelers can travel on orders without a passport (govt or leisure). Some service members have tried to use that as an excuse not to get a passport, something I highly discourage simply because if a service member is injured overseas and the family needs to fly over to help there could be massive issues.

(Talking also from the stance of a military spouse as well)

Now a days, I tell all my customers on the phone that they absolutely should have a passport for all the travelers involved, whether it be for leisure or govt.

I'm a "BROWN" and "BLUE" Passport holder and I would NEVER travel on orders w/o them BOTH - I refrain from showing my brown passport and travel on my blue one, but my brown one is always with me....somewhere.....in a bag....CD case....somewhere. :)

We'll have to share stories as I have a great one when the Germans "found" my brown passport during a "random" inspection and I thought that things were going to get very bad for me....

I travel domestically all of the time and I *ALWAYS* use my blue passport as my ID - never my CAC.

Wow, there is a lot of classist remarks in here.

I can't fathom spending $700 dollars on something I will very likely not need. We don't travel much, and when we do its usually by car and near home. We don't have family out of the country. I will not get on an airplane ever again. (That's a promise)

This is our first vacation in 3 years and apparently some of you have forgotten that sometimes, people have a budget and can't drop the better part of a grand on something you don't need.

This exact same forum just had a post about how stupid it was to be concerned with a ship wreck when it rarely happens.

Why is it okay to drop hundreds of dollars on passports if we likely won't need it, but stupid to drop $30 on an abandon ship bag which you ALSO likely won't need?

I get some people do need them - in fact, I myself need a passport CARD but only because I've been married before and don't want the hassle of dealing with marriage licenses, divorce papers etc but the rest of my family doesn't need one. I can not fathom anything going wrong enough that I need to come home the same day. If an emergency arises, it can wait a few days while I get embassy help.

Here I am telling my story again. Last year we did a family cruise to Bermuda and my always healthy son had a medical situation on Friday night when the ship had to leave. Thankfully we had our passports because it would have been Monday before we could have even started the process, losing more than the cost of the passports, even with insurance, in lost wages and stuff

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Archived