I'm an idiot!!! I gave Carnival another chance.

This just adds to the negative reviews for the Magic. I took the time to check EVERY Carnival ship over in the reviews section of CC, and the Magic has the lowest overall rating of ANY Carnival ship, even their older ships. That says a lot right there.

I too had considered going back to Carnival because the Magic looked so beautiful from the outside when I saw her in Venice, and because she's close to home.

I think though, that my Winter 2013 cruise is going to be on the Crown Princess instead. I like that Princess gives you an extra port over the RCI itineraries.

Thanks for you imput. I have been waiting to hear info on Magic because I am a Texan too and lets face it, it is just easier for us to go to Galveston.

I went on FOS for my bday and DH kept pushing for us to take a cruise out of Galveston. We had to go in the summer since our son is in school and I just refused to go on Carnival. Poor guy still doesnt get it.

The Magic seems to be family friendly, so I have just been wanting to get feedback from people.

Different strokes for different folks. Sorry you had a bad time. Hope your next cruise is better. :)

Not to hack the thread, but Mona I see your next cruise is the Friday the 13th Monarch cruise! I started a RC the other day...come join us :)

This just adds to the negative reviews for the Magic. I took the time to check EVERY Carnival ship over in the reviews section of CC, and the Magic has the lowest overall rating of ANY Carnival ship, even their older ships. That says a lot right there.

Where did you get your facts from? You must have a lot of time on your hands to CHECK EVERY Carnival Ship in the reviews. There are thousands of reviews.

Based on the Cruise Critic article the Carnival Magic rates pretty high (in fact #3)

based on the statement on the linked page " The year's 11 most popular ships were chosen by taking a variety of factors in account, including pageviews, number of associated reader reviews and Facebook likes"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4693

Where did you get your facts from? You must have a lot of time on your hands to CHECK EVERY Carnival Ship in the reviews. There are thousands of reviews.

Based on the Cruise Critic article the Carnival Magic rates pretty high (in fact #3)

based on the statement on the linked page " The year's 11 most popular ships were chosen by taking a variety of factors in account, including pageviews, number of associated reader reviews and Facebook likes"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4693

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=513

Here ya go! "67% loved it" that is the lowest percentage of all the member reviews for Carnival ships.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=8

I clicked on the links for each ship, one by one, on the left side of the above link.

I give much more credibility to the member reviews than the "professional" ones :rolleyes: After hundreds and hundreds of reviews, good and bad, I think the member reviews give a much clearer picture of what the average cruiser can expect.

I give much more credibility to the member reviews than the "professional" ones :rolleyes: After hundreds and hundreds of reviews, good and bad, I think the member reviews give a much clearer picture of what the average cruiser can expect.

Did you know it is a fact that only 1 in 10 HAPPY customers will report their experience, and 9 out of 10 unhappy customers will complain to whoever will listen/read? So I normally take readers comments/reviews with a grain of salt.

My wife and I just returned from a cruise on Elation. It was not all that great, The ship is old needs refurbished. Also it is a party ship, lots of drunks, yelling and making some kind of drunks mating call. Lots of yelling even in the dining room. Which is not against Carnivals dining room rules, because it continued everynight without anything being done to stop it. sorry RCCL and Celebrity we will never leave you again.:cool:

Cruised on many Carnival ships all were great except for the trip we took on the Legend. The people in the ship were boring and the DJ played all the same music. Otherwise Carnival isn't bad been on RCL too... Bottom line, be happy we can afford to cruise as others never have and never will :-)

Did you know it is a fact that only 1 in 10 HAPPY customers will report their experience, and 9 out of 10 unhappy customers will complain to whoever will listen/read? So I normally take readers comments/reviews with a grain of salt.

Still doesn't change the fact that a larger percentage of customers were unhappy with the Magic compared to the other Carnival ships. So 9 out of 10 unhappy Magic customers complained, and 9 out of 10 unhappy Destiny customers complained. That must mean there were many more happy Destiny customers to make up the difference.

I've done both about 5 times and find them about the same unless I was on the big New fancy ships from RCL. but tried them and done it.No repeat needed.

if I want good food, a boring night and luxury I go on Celebrity concierge class and get spoiled.

larger percentage of customers were unhappy with the Magic compared to the other Carnival ships.

Im not making excuses for the Magic as Ive not been on her yet....... But Ive been reading most of the reviews

Alot of the negative reviews were from her TA when she redirected to Freeport for repairs.. Alot of cruisers felt mislead.

Also she had to be repaired in Progresso on her first deployment from Galveston. Again redirected.

So with missed ports comes dissapointment from cruisers who end up saying its a horrible ship..

Bless your heart! Several years ago we made the mistake of sailing Carnival. We called it the cruise from Hell. But Duh! We did it again a few years later. I think Psychologists say that you loose your memory of pain after a few years and only remember the things that make you feel good. I can attest to that, but we WON'T be repeating that mistake. Welcome back!!:)

Our first carnival cruise was on the valor. Prior we had always sailed Celebrity and RCCL. But we were taking our 3 daughters and carnival was affordable. Our daughters never cruised before. They thought it was wonderful. The ranged in ages from 28-17 and even they did not enjoy all the noise at the pool area. We all stayed most of the time in the adult only area.

The movies at sea, is nice in the evening BUT loud, VERY LOUD all day by the pool area was a real turn off.

Now, we were very surprised how well the food ones. We were very pleased. My opinion, it was just a very loud pool area rather then nice music and lots of blue water and lots of TLC.

would love to take our girls again. Hope when we can we can do RCCL

OMG!!! Did I make a BIG mistake. Having cruised on the Oasis last year, we decided to try the new Carnival ship, the Magic since we live 60 miles from her home port. Somebody please slap me upside the head.

Of course, there is no comparison. That being said, the Magic lacks in many, many areas. I had a better cruise experience on the Carnival Conquest in 2009 and I disliked that cruise too. The Magic was not a well run ship. The food, the service, the shows, the pools, the hot tubs were all lacking in one way or another. Kids ran amuck all week, completely taking over all pools & hot tubs. No adult pool, adult area was a joke, so were most of the shows. Seems like Carnival just wants to get you on board and hold you captive for the week.

Don't even get me started on the horrible buffet or so/so MDR food.:eek:

If Royal Caribbean had a Red Frog Pub and serves its own brand of good beer I'd be in heaven. I'll give Carnival credit for that. but that's all.

You'd have to tie me up and take me kicking & screaming back on ANY Carnival ship. I'm not going, EVER.

I'm sorry Royal Caribbean, I should have known better. Please forgive me.

Yes! I thought the EXACT same thing when I was on Carnival Destiny last year. They had the Thirsty Frog beer on draft and I must have drank a dozen glasses of it during the cruise. It's a pretty decent amber lager, and the price is right on (for cruise brew anyway). I really wish RCI would have their own beer brand, they already have the pubs on many ships. If they priced it right, maybe around $3 for a pint, I'd be in heaven and they'd make some money.

To each his own. We just got off a RC cruise and we are sad to say, we are going back to either Carnival or Holland America. But I think Carnival owns HA. RC really, really, really dropped the ball. I heard that a lot while on our cruise.

I understand the want of trying something different. :) I appreciate your thoughts on Carnival. After 25 cruises on Royal, we are seriously considering switching from Freedom of the Seas in October (which we have sailed on and doing so again in 8 days) to Carnival Liberty.

It seems that since Royal and Celebrity opened up Falmouth that they have practically forgotten Roatan, Costa Maya and Belize. :( Especially, for that time of year before the ships return from Europe We love those ports, especially for the diving.

The debate on this one still goes on here. :confused:

I tried the Carnival once and that was enough for me. I have been on Holland America, RCL and NCL and enjoyed them all. This year I went on the Jan.15 Freedom of The Seas cruise and really enjoyed it. I didn't know if I would like a large ship like that but I never felt crowded on it. The food and service were very good, the only thing I was somewhat disapointed in were the shows except for the ice show.:)

the funnyfunnelfunships aren't for me either...BUT i won't say NEVER again....but i would need a really good reason, like a family event or something....

i don't like the ships' layouts either.....and IMO the service lacked...and the buffet is hard to navigate.....

that said (i've been on pride and miracle..) people suggested that a bigger newer ship would be better....the pix that i've seen of the Breeze look decent....seems that the vegas-esque color palate is being replaced by something a little easier on the eyes...

I understand the want of trying something different. :) I appreciate your thoughts on Carnival. After 25 cruises on Royal, we are seriously considering switching from Freedom of the Seas in October (which we have sailed on and doing so again in 8 days) to Carnival Liberty.

It seems that since Royal and Celebrity opened up Falmouth that they have practically forgotten Roatan, Costa Maya and Belize. :( Especially, for that time of year before the ships return from Europe We love those ports, especially for the diving.

The debate on this one still goes on here. :confused:

I have to agree. Some variation of the ports would definitely be nice.

I thought Magic had a serenity area. OP I think you just missed it?

I lean toward RCL, but hey I would rather go on some cruise than stay home. I will continue cruising both.

I think both lines have about the same number of children onboard, so I dont see the big difference the OP mentioned.

OMG!!! Did I make a BIG mistake. Having cruised on the Oasis last year, we decided to try the new Carnival ship, the Magic since we live 60 miles from her home port. Somebody please slap me upside the head.

Of course, there is no comparison. That being said, the Magic lacks in many, many areas. I had a better cruise experience on the Carnival Conquest in 2009 and I disliked that cruise too. The Magic was not a well run ship. The food, the service, the shows, the pools, the hot tubs were all lacking in one way or another. Kids ran amuck all week, completely taking over all pools & hot tubs. No adult pool, adult area was a joke, so were most of the shows. Seems like Carnival just wants to get you on board and hold you captive for the week.

If Royal Caribbean had a Red Frog Pub and serves its own brand of good beer I'd be in heaven. I'll give Carnival credit for that. but that's all.

You'd have to tie me up and take me kicking & screaming back on ANY Carnival ship. I'm not going, EVER.

I've only sailed Carnival twice - the first was a bust, but the second was fun! I'm pretty loyal to Royal now!!!

I was really thinking about trying Carnival Magic since Galveston is my home port. I haven't been on a Carnival ship since I was 16 and that was 11 years ago. I didn't like it cause I was bored most of the trip. Are the pools on the ship still very small in size?

How funny. I feel the same way about Royal. Our Liberty cruise was fine, but the food was horrible in the buffet and the MDR. We just didn't like it much at all. But, hey... thats just us. Sorry you had a bad time. You stick with Royal and we will stick with Carnival and we will all be happy, right? :D

Archived