I'm an idiot!!! I gave Carnival another chance.

[quote name='BecciBoo'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] We do cruise for the ship, if we just wanted to see the world, we'd fly to a location and spend time there. [B]Cruises are cruises because you cruise on a ship[/B].[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
I guess we see cruises a little differently. To us, the ship is just a method of transportation. True, we could fly, but it would be quite expensive (and difficult) to fly to 3 or 4 different locations within a week! For us, a cruise is a way to "sample" various places fairly easily and relatively inexpensively.

Certainly no right or wrong here...just different opinions!

I have been cruising since the 80's and I have been on all the major cruise lines. I have found good and bad in them all. Fortunately I find more good in all the cruise lines than bad. I try to be a glass half full kind of person and for this reason I have never been on a bad cruise. I also am not the type of person to bash a cruise line because it was not to my liking.

[quote name='Sir Cruise-a-Lot'][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]We have sailed on both Carnival and RCI over the years and we have enjoyed them both. I wouldn’t hesitate to book either with the right literary and price. I know we will have a good time, we always do. :D[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Ditto :) I have one of each booked now.

Interesting thread. My DH and two kids sailed a short (4 night) cruise on RC many, many years ago and I hated it. SInce then we have sailed HAL, Seabourn and Regent and enjoyed them all. Now we are facing a 40th wedding Anniversary in June and I am trying to decide how to celebrate. We honeymooned in Bermuda and live about a hour from Baltimore so I checked into cruises to Bermuda from there. THe only cruise lines are Carnival and RCCL. Couldn't drag me onto Carnival but I am having a really hard time getting over my disappointment with my one and only RC cruise. Wish I could get over my bad experience and give RC another try but so far I can't pull the trigger.

[quote name='KathyPet']Interesting thread. My DH and two kids sailed a short (4 night) cruise on RC many, many years ago and I hated it. SInce then we have sailed HAL, Seabourn and Regent and enjoyed them all. Now we are facing a 40th wedding Anniversary in June and I am trying to decide how to celebrate. We honeymooned in Bermuda and live about a hour from Baltimore so I checked into cruises to Bermuda from there. THe only cruise lines are Carnival and RCCL. Couldn't drag me onto Carnival but I am having a really hard time getting over my disappointment with my one and only RC cruise. Wish I could get over my bad experience and give RC another try but so far I can't pull the trigger.[/quote]

When comparing RCI to Regent, Seabourn and HAL you will have a totally different experience. RCI is mass market. HAL is a premium line and the other two are considered Deluxe/Luxury. What was it that you did not like about your cruise on RCI?

[quote name='KathyPet']Interesting thread. My DH and two kids sailed a short (4 night) cruise on RC many, many years ago and I hated it. SInce then we have sailed HAL, Seabourn and Regent and enjoyed them all. Now we are facing a 40th wedding Anniversary in June and I am trying to decide how to celebrate. We honeymooned in Bermuda and live about a hour from Baltimore so I checked into cruises to Bermuda from there. THe only cruise lines are Carnival and RCCL. Couldn't drag me onto Carnival but I am having a really hard time getting over my disappointment with my one and only RC cruise. Wish I could get over my bad experience and give RC another try but so far I can't pull the trigger.[/quote]

How about the Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne NJ? It's drive-able from where you live. The cruise during the first week in June is the cheapest and get progressively more expensive as you get closer to July. Their food is fantastic and if you're a drinker, they have the open bar option as well. Food for thought.

I guess cruises can be hit or miss. We went on the Liberty of the seas and the food was awful, but the amount of activities and events going on was very good. When we went on the Carnival Dream, the food was awesome, but there was nothing to do while we were at sea.

Funny, our family has the EXACT same complaints. DH and I have been cruising with Carnival for a long time, and all as we can say is that Carnival has majorly cut back on their service. We were on the Carnival Dream Feb. 4-11 of this year. My parents who have been cruising for many years are not impressed either. My mother does not even want to go on another cruise again. We've never tried Royal before, but I'll be sure to cruise with Royal if we go on another cruise, that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='graphicguy']I say this without allegiance to any cruise line or ship. I think there is such variety in ships, and lines, that there truly is something for everyone.

Personally, I like the change, from one cruise line ship, to another.

Having been on both Carnival (liked them) and RCCL (liked them, too) they offer similar but different experiences.

I think if you went over to the Carnival boards, they'd have a similar reaction to yours regarding RCCL cruises, but for different reasons.

As others have said, we're so fortunate to be able to cruise.

I'm slated for the Allure in May. Should be interesting. But, I will also book Carnival, and NCL in the future. They are all unique in their own way. I like that.[/QUOTE]

It is nice to experience something different every once in awhile. I will never understand people who are loyal to one cruise line without ever trying another. In any event, we will be on the Allure with you in May and we will be sailing Carnival in September.

Paul in Jax, FL

[quote name='LittleMiss']Ok I must speak on Behalf of Carnival, though I have only traveled Royal once, I always seem to have a good time. It's definitely about preferences, as with anything, over generalized statements go on a few Carnival cruises then you say not taking Carnival any more because one you may have had a bad issue with. The point is Cruises are expensive Carnival, Royal, Celebrity, Norwegian etc. my thought if you have the money to play..... Play! One last comment, whenever I look for a cruise, I have to admit one thing, the itineraries on Carnival are by far better. You can get a port each day, where as Royal likes to keep you on the boat so you can spend all your money there, which is why their boats are so Hi tech. When I cruise, I like to see the world more and not so much the Floating resort.[/quote]

This is simply not true. I have cruised both lines to know that Carnival does not have a port each day. First in most cases there has to be sea days for travel time. I will take the floating resort anyday and still get to the world. I guess I get the best of both worlds.;)

[quote name='pinkrosesdeb']cruisinggator, we did NOT think HAL was a premium line in any way. One of our least favorite cruises and we won't go back. Didn't like the food or the ship but the staff was great![/quote]

HAL was not our favorite either but regardless of what we think they are considered a premium line by the industry.

[quote name='chasinraynbowz']How funny. I feel the same way about Royal. Our Liberty cruise was fine, but the food was horrible in the buffet and the MDR. We just didn't like it much at all. But, hey... thats just us. Sorry you had a bad time. You stick with Royal and we will stick with Carnival and we will all be happy, right? :D[/quote]
We feel the same after our liberty cruise.

I have done Celebrity and Carnival and I have to say I liked Carnival better. Yes, there was alot of neon but they are trying to tone it down. The beds were comfrortable and the room was pretty spacious. I think the thing I liked the most was the kid friendly atmosphere. Maybe the poster should look at the lines who cater to older people. No waterslides or flowriders. I think Carnival, RCL or NCL would be packed with kids on breaks. I noticed Celebrity is having a sale right now on thier 5 nights out of Miami during spring break. I bet it is because they don't have the kid stuff on board. I would consider it if I wasn't traveling with my kids!

Archived