Internet Package Question

cello56

I am a Platinum member and am wondering if I can use the $7.50 off coupon in my coupon book for al a carte minutes, or do I have to use it towards a package? If I combine my coupon with my cabin mates' (Mother In Law) it would give me about 19 minutes which is really all that I need to check emails a couple of times.

Thanks for any info. I have never used these internet coupons before. I have also never sailed without my husband before so this should be an interesting cruise!!

I have used the coupons too without buying a package. The first time I didnt know I was supposed to cash in the coupon first. I went to the Customer Relations desk afterwards and she still applied the coupons just told me in the future to come there first.

Thank you very much for the info. I will make sure to go and redeem my coupons at guest relations BEFORE logging on!

Do I need to do something 'special' in order to be able to log on with my iphone or ipad? Will they give me some kind of password when I go to guest relations?

I have heard that the internet is slow. How slow are we talking? Similar to the old dial up speeds?

Thank you very much for the info. I will make sure to go and redeem my coupons at guest relations BEFORE logging on!

Do I need to do something 'special' in order to be able to log on with my iphone or ipad? Will they give me some kind of password when I go to guest relations?

I have heard that the internet is slow. How slow are we talking? Similar to the old dial up speeds?

OHNO..............dial up is faster:p:p:p

sorry dont know anything about using a iphone or ipad..

Now you're talking WiFi which is another ball game. Your coupons will get you Internet time but the WiFi is a separate item.

Now you're talking WiFi which is another ball game. Your coupons will get you Internet time but the WiFi is a separate item.

Actually, the Internet minutes are the same whether you use Royal Caribbean's provided computers or your own over WiFi. (That might be in response to something that you didn't mean to imply, though.)

To set up WiFi, you need to go to one of the rooms where they have computers for Internet access. You'll swipe your SeaPass on the computer and associate it with a username and password that you'll then be able to use to authenticate to the WiFi network from your portable device.

Actually, the Internet minutes are the same whether you use Royal Caribbean's provided computers or your own over WiFi. (That might be in response to something that you didn't mean to imply, though.)

To set up WiFi, you need to go to one of the rooms where they have computers for Internet access. You'll swipe your SeaPass on the computer and associate it with a username and password that you'll then be able to use to authenticate to the WiFi network from your portable device.

Thanks. I think I understand now!

1) Go to guest relations with coupons in hand.

2) Go to business center and swipe sea pass to set up account.

3) Log in with my ipad/phone and set up wifi password.

4) Tap foot and watch time as my precious minutes waste away waiting for things to load. :eek:

I think that I have got it!! :)

I am a Platinum member and am wondering if I can use the $7.50 off coupon in my coupon book for al a carte minutes, or do I have to use it towards a package? If I combine my coupon with my cabin mates' (Mother In Law) it would give me about 19 minutes which is really all that I need to check emails a couple of times.

Thanks for any info. I have never used these internet coupons before. I have also never sailed without my husband before so this should be an interesting cruise!!

Your topic was one I am interested in also but needed to say "hi" from another greyhound mom! :)

Sorry............... Senior moment!

Small correction...

2) Go to business center and swipe sea pass to set up wifi username and password

3) Log in with my ipad/phone using step 2's wifi username and password

During step 2, you are also prompted to select a prepaid package of minutes. They are cheaper per-minute if you plan on using enough to make it worthwhile. Given your planned limited use of just the free minutes from your coupons, you probably would choose not to select a package.

What are the charges for internet??? per minute and packages??

Thanks

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice.

The Internet Cafe/Workstation

These stations provide access to e-mail and the Internet, plus direct connections to favorite websites for stock, sports and entertainment updates. You can also send virtual postcards while at sea, and in ports-of-call worldwide. If you don't have an e-mail account, you can also establish one onboard.

The cost is $.65 per minute or you can choose a prepaid package:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Available onboard all ships.

Prices are subject to change without notice.

A few more thoughts to share.

Be very careful to log off wifi properly. You do not want to rack up minutes by not logging off. yes, it has happened, though not to me yet. I bookmark the log off page ahead of time. When I am ready to log off, I go to the bookmarked page. That should be enough, but, being a bit paranoid after hearing stories of overcharges, I also tend to go to settings and shut off wifi. If I ever have to go to the desk to dispute charges, I want to be able to say I did everything I could.

If it is mostly email, you may be able really stretch your minutes if you set up your accounts well. You can log on, receive your emails, then quickly log off. Read the emails at your leisure and compose any responses. Log back on, send those emails and log off again. Your minutes may go a long way.

Is a "Windows" based device necessary as stated above? Ipads/Android based tablets OK as well? I read this on RCCL website as well but am hoping their directions are just a bit outdated with the popularity of tablets these days.

I have successfully used my iPad on multiple cruises. I do recall once reading a disclaimer that the system may not support iPads or iPhones. that probably contributed greatly to my log out paranoia. paranoid or not, I have loved using my iPad for wifi.

Is a "Windows" based device necessary as stated above? Ipads/Android based tablets OK as well? I read this on RCCL website as well but am hoping their directions are just a bit outdated with the popularity of tablets these days.

I believe they only "support" windows machines with directions of how get connected. You can definitely log in with a Mac or iDevice ... the pain is making sure you get disconnected, especially on an iPhone/iPad as it can be hard to bookmark the logoff page. If you finish and simply disconnect wireless an extra minute or two can tick off until the system realizes you are no longer there.

I believe they only "support" windows machines with directions of how get connected. You can definitely log in with a Mac or iDevice ... the pain is making sure you get disconnected, especially on an iPhone/iPad as it can be hard to bookmark the logoff page. If you finish and simply disconnect wireless an extra minute or two can tick off until the system realizes you are no longer there.

I too had trouble bookmarking the logoff page as the window suggesting a bookmark would flash up, then disappear quickly. IIRC, I typed it in and saved it. here is the logout addy I have saved...Is it the same one others have bookmarked? If so, maybe people can manage to bookmark it now and check against the addy in the current brochure when they board.

http://appdb.rccl.com/ekgnkm/wirelesslogin.asp

since I use both that page and turn off wifi, I do not know which does the trick, but so far I have not seen any major time discrepancies. I'm also using C and A minutes, so if I lose a free minute here or there, I won't complain.

Can you use multiple laptops with the same wifi package i.e. have Johnny's Dell computer and Jenny's HP computer being used at the same time, both using minutes in a shared internet minutes package?

There will be four of us, and I will need to tell the "young ones" to keep internet usage to a dull roar (seems like it's endless in the home). I may just tell them to leave the computer at home, or off. No skyping, buddy chats, etc., on the ship, it just consumes too much time. Plus, you're on a cruise, the time when your life shouldn't be ruled by the 'net.

Then, we'll have the issue of turning off the cell phones, no texting, etc., those cell phone minute fees would pile up very fast.....

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice.

The Internet Cafe/Workstation

These stations provide access to e-mail and the Internet, plus direct connections to favorite websites for stock, sports and entertainment updates. You can also send virtual postcards while at sea, and in ports-of-call worldwide. If you don't have an e-mail account, you can also establish one onboard.

The cost is $.65 per minute or you can choose a prepaid package:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Available onboard all ships.

Prices are subject to change without notice.

Thank you for this info. The package cost is really not that bad considering the many hotels where we have stayed in US, Europe, Central America and such that charge $20.00 per 24 hour period. Hence we might have actually used it for an hour but it expires in 24 hours. :rolleyes:

Can you use multiple laptops with the same wifi package i.e. have Johnny's Dell computer and Jenny's HP computer being used at the same time, both using minutes in a shared internet minutes package?

There will be four of us, and I will need to tell the "young ones" to keep internet usage to a dull roar (seems like it's endless in the home). I may just tell them to leave the computer at home, or off. No skyping, buddy chats, etc., on the ship, it just consumes too much time. Plus, you're on a cruise, the time when your life shouldn't be ruled by the 'net.

Then, we'll have the issue of turning off the cell phones, no texting, etc., those cell phone minute fees would pile up very fast.....

I do not know about two laptops on at the same time, but I suspect not. If DH was logged on a computer in the Internet cafe, I was not able to log on to wifi (linked to his account) simultaneously.

You will certainly want to limit the Internet usage or you could face a huge bill. I have heard some lines offer young people a better rate in the kids/teen area, but I do not know if RCCL does that. You may want to ask before you purchase a package.

Archived