Coffee makers (hot water heaters)

fb0075

A number of years ago there was a post on the yahoo board by a couple who brought on a big coffee maker and then had a big ceremony of tossing it overboard so they wouldn't have to lug it home with them.

Sigh.

Mura

I would not have thought they would allow such things to be used in the cabin :confused:

If irons are banned I would think coffee makers would be just as dangerous...Interesting

There are so many places to get coffee on the ships ..why bother lugging a coffee maker

MURA ..throwing things overboard is forbidden I am surprised they were not fined

A number of years ago there was a post on the yahoo board by a couple who brought on a big coffee maker and then had a big ceremony of tossing it overboard so they wouldn't have to lug it home with them.

Sigh.

Mura

It seems hard to believe, given todays concerns about the Environment, but up until the mid 1970's ALL of trash, biodegradable or not, was simply thrown over the side.

154950.jpg

Even then, it was the Liners that disappeared, not the bad sanitation regulations.

Today, one cannot so much as spit in the Ocean without risking serious consequences, and the fines can easily run into the millions.

DO NOT PLAN TO GIVE YOUR COFFEE MAKER A BURIAL AT SEA!

Agreed, the idea of tossing something overboard made my eyes cross. This was about five years ago, I think.

Of course they confessed their sin after returning home -- but I have a feeling they didn't think they'd done anything wrong since they were so open about having done it!

Agreed, the idea of tossing something overboard made my eyes cross. This was about five years ago, I think.

Of course they confessed their sin after returning home -- but I have a feeling they didn't think they'd done anything wrong since they were so open about having done it!

Yes, some people can be very odd-

Ask me sometime, preferably over a cocktail, about our getting getting stuck behind a gentleman in the Security queue for the QE2 in Southampton because he was trying to bring.........are you sitting down?

A loaded bazooka onto the ship. :eek:

This particular weapon had seen yeoman service in WWII, as he explained it, and he was trying to see that it received a dignified resting place in Davy Jones Locker, while he was still able to carry it about.

And you wonder why I drink.........

There also room service 24 hours. No need to make coffee. We don't often order in cabin breakfast but I do sometimes order just coffee-never a problem. Also, I bring an insulated cup and get hot water from Terrace Cafe for my late night decaf green tea.

There also room service 24 hours. No need to make coffee. We don't often order in cabin breakfast but I do sometimes order just coffee-never a problem. Also, I bring an insulated cup and get hot water from Terrace Cafe for my late night decaf green tea.

This is something we do on busy days in port. We like to get out early and sleep as late as possible. The waiter calls as he is leaving the kitchen with our breakfast and it is our wake up call. That first cup of Joe helps get the old eyes open fast.

AMAZING!

10 responses and not one that answered the question that was asked---

thanks for your input but I realize after 98 cruises that room service delivers coffee and that the Lido is open 24 hours--

But WE enjoy leisurely hanging in the cabin and drinking several cups on the veranda of coffee that WE enjoy--we carry a small coffeemaker on every cruise but recently RCL has stopped allowing them to be brought on board.

thanks

AMAZING!

thanks for your input but I realize after 98 cruises that room service delivers coffee and that the Lido is open 24 hours--

But WE enjoy leisurely hanging in the cabin and drinking several cups on the veranda of coffee that WE enjoy--we carry a small coffeemaker on every cruise but recently RCL has stopped allowing them to be brought on board.

thanks

I agree, it is nice to be able to make coffee and / or tea in the room. On our last cruise most evenings we went to the buffet to get tea / coffee to take back with us (insulated mugs ready) and 90% of the time there was no milk. By the time we'd found someone and waited for milk, we'd gone off the idea!! We may take up your idea and take one with us!

AMAZING!

thanks

I guess because not many Oceania cruisers would think of taking a coffee machine with them

You got an answer from some REP at Oceania, so go with that

AMAZING!

thanks

My travel companion and I also enjoy having several cups of coffee on the veranda prior to going to breakfast, so here is MY suggestion: Simply order two pots of coffee and double cream as well - or milk if preferred. We never run out of coffee before breakfast by handling it in this way! :D

fb0075 - both RetiredFL and LHT28 gave good responses. But don't think I'd rely on some Oceania rep as the final authority. A coffee maker is a cooking device and might be reported and confiscated. Get permission in writing from the Oceania head office if it's that important to you. BTW, on Marina there is Baristas on deck 14.

The Regatta had early coffeee and tea with sweet rolls in Horizons before any of the restaurants opened. Starting at 6 am. You can't get off the ship before that time.

The Insignia and Nautica bothhave coffee and criossants in Horizonsfrom 6:00 am to 11:00 am. Great place to be when entering ports and on sea days amazingly quiet and relaxed. Why bother with another piece of luggage

idea about French press not unreasonable. We hated O coffee. It tested odd to us, like chicory or something. SInce we always ordered room service breakfast, our solution to the bad coffee was to order a pot of their expresso, which was good, and a pot of hot water, and combine the two in our cups to our liking.

Archived