Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Some very interesting and constantly updated youtube video's here of rescue operations:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pupiavideo/videos

In this video near the end where they are working on the bridge you can see some of the roughish sea's that probably stopped fuel removal:

Here you can see them searching some balcony cabins:

To answer the OT from the last Thread - first of all thanks for the welcome. The Concordia has been looming large in my life the last 2 weeks, for whatever exact reason I`m not sure :-) My boyfriend has been quite surprised to see me still reading on it all these days...

I live in Wiesbaden now, which is just becoming the new US Army Headquarters for Germany, being moved from Heidelberg. I have also lived in Heidelberg for a number of years and of course I know Sinsheim, Pirmasens and Gießen. I did NOT know about Bitche :D

Ah yes, Wiesbaden, know it a little bit:)

So if you know Sinnsheim, do you remember the tall glass building on the hill?? That was our Apartment building that the US Army rented from the owner to house several families in. I lived on the top floor and absolutely loved it:)

I know what you mean about being held by this tragedy of the Concordia. I at times feel like such a ghoul for wanting more information. But, I think it is human nature to be drawn to anything that is totally shocking to us....

Joanie

I've studied the webcam and I can't really tell as yet how rough the currents may be. Daylight will be there soon and then we'll have a better idea. In reality the weather has co-operated well during the rescue and recovery.

I think it is remarkable that there have been no serious injuries for the rescue teams. To my knowledge there has been one diver that suffered from exhaustion and one firefighter, working topside on the ship, that suffered a broken leg.

As sad as it may be that they may not be able to do any recovery work, if indeed the weather has changed, it is for the best. This tragedy doesn't need another death.

There is an article in the New York Times today for those who have access to the Times about the stormy seas delaying recovery. It says that recovering the fuel will likely take 28 days.

I've been watching 2 web cams there and the one in port itself http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440922/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto.html does not seem very rough, almost serene and calm. I knew about the fuel removal being stopped, but the recovery teams were still at the Concordia until around 7 p.m. local time. And like I said, even the Coast Guard and Police have removed all but 1 ship/boat...

I realize the rescue/recovery, police and Coast Guard need a break, but it just seems so... sad to realize that there will be no more searching for survivors:(

I hope that makes sense

Joanie

Joanie, it's rougher than it appears beyond the breakwater, and if the predictions for heavier weather to follow, it's probably a good time to button down the hatches, and wait till the weather calms down a bit.

I, too, wish that CC had allowed this thread to be started, in the normal way that they allow threads of some 5000 posts to be closed, and have a roman numeral behind it.

This thread will be more of the aftermath, the pumping, cleaning, salvage, and, of course.........the great debate with the attorney's that will be after each other with meat cleavers. That is so much fun to read!:D

Don't know why they closed the thread.:confused:

Let's bring it back to life! :)

They closed the thread a few days too late. Good riddance

It descended into a personal ego mudslinging match and frankly I simply stopped reading it.

Lets hope this one fares better, or it gets pulled too.

Yes, that's it Bridge Maven. Carnival may have learned something from that incident. CCL decided to stay in the Bahamas and let the authorities investigate this recent death (see link below). Unlike RCCL leaving the widow in Turkey and taking off right away on their scheduled itinerary.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/americas/bahamas-police-investigate-death-of-us-tourist-aboard-carnival-cruise-ship/2012/01/28/gIQABbO2XQ_story.html

Cruiserfanfromct - are you referring to the George Smith mystery on Brilliance of the Seas?

Joanie, it's rougher than it appears beyond the breakwater, and if the predictions for heavier weather to follow, it's probably a good time to button down the hatches, and wait till the weather calms down a bit.

I, too, wish that CC had allowed this thread to be started, in the normal way that they allow threads of some 5000 posts to be closed, and have a roman numeral behind it.

This thread will be more of the aftermath, the pumping, cleaning, salvage, and, of course.........the great debate with the attorney's that will be after each other with meat cleavers. That is so much fun to read!:D

Here is another article on the recovery and salvage. This one says it could take ten months to remove Concordia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9047774/Costa-Concordia-will-take-10-months-to-be-removed.html

OT but still pertaining to tragedies at sea. Just discovered this site. Looks like Carnival Corp has the most cases of disappearances and tragedies.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

I am not a Carnival fan but that since Carnival Corp. has the largest fleet of ships that is to be expected. All the cruise lines have had disappearences and tradgedies.

Thanks for pointing that out. It does make sense. There are been recent articles about people disappearing on ships that are rather alarming. Have you read this one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2040248/Why-165-people-gone-missing-cruise-ships-recent-years.html

I am not a Carnival fan but that since Carnival Corp. has the largest fleet of ships that is to be expected. All the cruise lines have had disappearences and tradgedies.

Just read this paragraph in the article referenced by Charles:

At the moment, access to the port for private boats has been banned and all boats must stay at least one mile from the wrecked ship, affecting access to Giglio's only harbour for fishermen, scuba divers and private boat owners.

This is some serious problems for the islanders:( I wonder how Costa/Carnival Corporation is going to handle this part of the disaster...........

Joanie

Just read this paragraph in the article referenced by Charles:

At the moment, access to the port for private boats has been banned and all boats must stay at least one mile from the wrecked ship, affecting access to Giglio's only harbour for fishermen, scuba divers and private boat owners.

This is some serious problems for the islanders:( I wonder how Costa/Carnival Corporation is going to handle this part of the disaster...........

Joanie

I would think that there would be a way for the fisherman and others (not gawkers) that would be able to come and go, as they have done in the past.

If fishing is the livelyhood of the island, they need to maintain a certain level of egress.

With what Costa is saying, they are going to miss at least a season of tourism. Somehow, they need to be compensated, but that fact may not be at the top of anyones plate, right now.

Rick

I would think that there would be a way for the fisherman and others (not gawkers) that would be able to come and go, as they have done in the past.

If fishing is the livelyhood of the island, they need to maintain a certain level of egress.

With what Costa is saying, they are going to miss at least a season of tourism. Somehow, they need to be compensated, but that fact may not be at the top of anyones plate, right now.

Rick

I think Costa will end up having to pay the fishermen compensation if they are unable to fish.

I thought there was a complaint that there were too many tourists coming on the ferry to view the wreck. Is the ferry not still operating?

It seems like what they would not have in boaters or divers they would more than gain with the curious.

I thought there was a complaint that there were too many tourists coming on the ferry to view the wreck. Is the ferry not still operating?

It seems like what they would not have in boaters or divers they would more than gain with the curious.

They did have ferries bringing people to the island but I think that was short-lived. From what I understand about the island (I have a friend that lives on Elba Island, not far from Giglio,) the winter months don't have many businesses open so I think it was more of a hassle and interference for rescue people. It's the summer months that are the big tourism season and this will have a major impact on the people then.

About a week ago some fisherman were able to go out on their boats. There were pictures in La Repubblica of them. As the harbor and ship are within that mile boundary, this will make it more difficult for them to work. I would think that they could be given some exemption so they can take their boats out.

Here video I'm made that:)

Prayer of Concordia.

Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Some of them I had not seen before.

The picture at the 2:33/34 point grabs the viewer with a certain beauty yet it says so much about the tragedy of the night.

Archived