Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

The claim of the French passengers is that the captain was in Life Boat number 3 (called the captain's launch) with other officers that left the ship first and did not have any passengers in it. It is not clear if this claim is true or not - so it is not really an established fact.

Thank you!

Looks like she is starting to fall apart, the skylights above the pool are coming down.

20120201__EUItalyShipAground%7Ep6.jpg

Ah yes. Things are starting to fall apart and gravity is taking its toll. Metal fatigue too, no doubt.

Any further news on the visible crack someone mentioned earlier?

I wouldn't put too much stock in the panels falling off. As designed, the mounting points were engineered for compression loading, with the ship on her side, those connection points are in shear, not compression, and just wasn't designed for shear.

Thank you!

You are welcome.

Let me just state that I view this statement from the French passengers as unconfirmed. I do not know if it is true or not at this point. I expect the truth will come out during the trial of the captain. I don't want anyone in the Cruise Critic forum to take this as an established fact.

That's true. However, I thought I read that passengers wanted to start loading into the lifeboats and were prevented and held back by the crew.

This is exactly what we experienced, we stood and waited at the muster station for over an hour. We have photo evidence... that was the most frustrating thing... we were not told anything or that we were near land or why the crew was preventing our evacuation!

Looks like she is starting to fall apart, the skylights above the pool are coming down.

20120201__EUItalyShipAground~p6.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture. I knew the webcam would go dark but I had to go out before they had one available. I believe late last week some engineers were concerned about the glass panels falling out and that had alot to do with the recovery being stopped. Last report I heard for Giglio, there is still one more day of bad weather.

I'm keep watching that slide, waiting for it to break loose too.

missabbi, people were wanting to board the lifeboats. I'm pretty sure the crew would have like to have let them load. Unfortunately the crew is low on the chain of command and were following the orders they were given.

Joanie, thanks for the timeline video.

That's true. However, I thought I read that passengers wanted to start loading into the lifeboats and were prevented and held back by the crew.

Apparently, that's what happened. It appears that the crew made them stop because the Captain had not given the Abandon ship order.

This is exactly what we experienced, we stood and waited at the muster station for over an hour. We have photo evidence... that was the most frustrating thing... we were not told anything or that we were near land or why the crew was preventing our evacuation!

Oh my gosh, you were on this cruise? If so, I am so happy for your safety and sad for what you and the others had to endure. :(

The claim of the French passengers is that the captain was in Life Boat number 3 (called the captain's launch) with other officers that left the ship first and did not have any passengers in it. It is not clear if this claim is true or not - so it is not really an established fact.

The video link I posted in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1555172

has one clip that clearly states in the audio over the P.A. "Tango India Tango India Tango India, life boat number three". I'm assuming this was the first announcement regarding life boats heard by any passengers per the reaction of the person filming during the announcement.

has one clip that clearly states in the audio over the P.A. "Tango India Tango India Tango India, life boat number three". I'm assuming this was the first announcement regarding life boats heard by any passengers per the reaction of the person filming during the announcement.

Tango India, Tango India, Tango India, Life Boat Number 3, according to a crew member statement early on (I believe 14th or 15th of January, meant Injured Person at or near Life Boat number 3. It was not an abandon ship message.

Joanie

I remember that. When he heard that he said, "OH ^$*#!

Joanie, he may not have known what it meant but he reacted to "lifeboat."

The captain - or if he has fallen into one of the lifeboats, the staff captain.

So the captain in his haste to fall into his life boat forgot to give the crew the order to abandon ship. Does this explain why the crew were by the life boats but wouldn't let anyone in?

So the captain in his haste to fall into his life boat forgot to give the crew the order to abandon ship. Does this explain why the crew were by the life boats but wouldn't let anyone in?

The crew wont let anybody into the lifeboats until the Captain gives the abandon ship order, so yes that's why they kept people out, but the order must have been given by the time the captain fell into the lifeboat

The crew wont let anybody into the lifeboats until the Captain gives the abandon ship order, so yes that's why they kept people out, but the order must have been given by the time the captain fell into the lifeboat

Captain Roberto Bosio gave the order AFTER he went from his stateroom to the Bridge and saw the mayhem and confusion AFTER Schettino had abandoned his ship, crew and passengers to their own fate.

Captain Bosio is one of the Captains for the Costa Serena and was a registerd guest on board Concordia. Hw was basically dead heading from Civateccia (Rome) to his home for his vacation.

Costa Concordia: captain’s actions 'disgraceful’ says cruise ship’s reluctant hero

An off-duty captain who gave the order to abandon the stricken Costa Concordia cruise ship as it capsized says the actions of Captain Francesco Schettino were “disgraceful”....

More here. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

Joanie

I remember that. When he heard that he said, "OH ^$*#!

Joanie, he may not have known what it meant but he reacted to "lifeboat."

After seeing the video of the dining room at the time of the impact, most passenger must have felt that it was just a matter of time before they would need to evacuate. So I'm sure his reaction to that announcement was the realization that the inevitable moment was imminent...that sinking feeling that their ship was, on fact....sinking.

The terror these passengers experienced is just overwhelming to me.....

Captain Roberto Bosio gave the order AFTER he went from his stateroom to the Bridge and saw the mayhem and confusion AFTER Schettino had abandoned his ship, crew and passengers to their own fate.

Captain Bosio is one of the Captains for the Costa Serena and was a registerd guest on board Concordia. Hw was basically dead heading from Civateccia (Rome) to his home for his vacation.

Costa Concordia: captain’s actions 'disgraceful’ says cruise ship’s reluctant hero

An off-duty captain who gave the order to abandon the stricken Costa Concordia cruise ship as it capsized says the actions of Captain Francesco Schettino were “disgraceful”....

More here. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

Joanie

Joanie

Capt. Bosio stepping up to the plate to carry out the neglected duties of Capt. "The Coward" Schettino may well have saved many hundreds of lives.

John

Using the links provided for the video with part 1 and 2 from yesterdays show, i went in search of part 3. Couldn't find anything as yet. :(

Uniall, no need to respond until you have a post you need to respond to but curious me wants to know... How did the Mrs like that special birthday cake? :D

Using the links provided for the video with part 1 and 2 from yesterdays show, i went in search of part 3. Couldn't find anything as yet. :(

Me either...if anyone see's part 3 please post the link! thanks!!

Found some new videos posted on YouTube with the same program, but divided up differently. Here are the links for Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ncbuHnua6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5RSZEXCnrYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y5B8h0dTCXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwJ7Ph10vrQ

Uniall, no need to respond until you have a post you need to respond to but curious me wants to know... How did the Mrs like that special birthday cake? :D

She loved it. I won't have to empty the garbage for 3 months....LOL

Archived