Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Captain Bosio is one of the Captains for the Costa Serena and was a registerd guest on board Concordia. Hw was basically dead heading from Civateccia (Rome) to his home for his vacation.

We have no idea who Bosio was. According to the legal documents, he was a senior officer of the Concordia. A member here who took the Concordia a few weeks before the disaster confirmed this based on the ship's newsletter. Other members have confirmed that Bosio was not the captain of the Serena just before the disaster, nor just after.

I'm pointing this out as an example of how we don't really know much.

For every "fact" we know from the media, there is usually another "fact" that negates it.

I trust those cruise critic members who have told their stories here because we know them and their stories are believable.

Everything else is questionable. We can speculate, and try to make sense of the conflicting reports and piece together the story, but we really won't know until the trial...even then, I'm not entirely sure.

The problem is, the media (and a good chunk of the public) grab hold of every "fact" that shows Schettino in the worst possible light. The "facts" that refute that are largely ignored.

Uniall wants us to consider the facts we receive in light of our experiences of human nature. Uniall's background leads him to believe the worst of people. Mine leads me to believe that few people are completely evil, and those that are (sociopathic or psychopathic) don't usually manage to interact successfully in society. (having said that, my hometown was the home of Paul Bernardo and Karla Holmolka, so it is possible, just rare) Mine leads me to believe that few comprehensively incompetant people do well in their chosen careers. Bluster only takes someone so far.

The thing is, even the acts of heroism sometimes have details that are questionable. Who the heck is Bosio? Did the deputy mayor of Giglio go to the ship with another islander, or did he go by himself as he first said? Is the purser a hero, or was he partly responsible for causing the accident in the first place?

But we want to believe in pure heroism and we want to believe in pure blame, so we filter the information we receive that way.

I think that the final story will be somewhat more gray, than black and white.

For every "fact" we know from the media, there is usually another "fact"

The media have created many legends from the Concordia disaster. What is true and what is fiction has been blurred. We should take the media stories with a grain of salt.

Charles ... Well said, i read an article yesterday where the writer quite rightly says that the Cruise Industry as a whole failed on the PR Front with regard to the Concordia.

With other disasters such as Aircraft and Rail there is usually a spokesman or woman who is there to take the heat out of the situation with the media and protect those involved until such time as an investigation is completed.

The Media and not just in Italy have been allowed to run rampant over this story making up in some cases lies to Beef their stories up! along with Chinese whispers and my uncles aunt says her son told them this or that!

The Whole cruise Industry have failed to put up a spokesperson to refute some of the Lies peddled by the media about cruising on the whole and leaving the public at large especially those who have never cruised to believe what has been said is True!

Link to the story.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/02/01/39445/opinion+costa+concordia+and+the+public+relations+disaster+for+cruise.html

We have no idea who Bosio was. According to the legal documents, he was a senior officer of the Concordia. A member here who took the Concordia a few weeks before the disaster confirmed this based on the ship's newsletter. Other members have confirmed that Bosio was not the captain of the Serena just before the disaster, nor just after.

I totally agree.

The first report I read had him as an officer on the Concordia, who, after the rest of the officers failed to get a response from Schettino when he'd finished his 'phone calls, ordered the abandon ship & began to co-ordinate the evacuation.

How true this is I don't know, only those on the bridge at the time can say for sure.

I did later read a report which said he was in fact a Captain on Serena. As time has gone on though I have my doubts on this.

What has struck me though is this, what happened to Bosio after the abandon ship order was given? We have no reports from any passengers to say they saw him overseeing the evacuation. Regardless of whether in uniform or not, it surely would be apparent that there was some-one in charge who the crew took notice of if this was so. We are also told that the Deputy Mayor could not find an officer on the bridge (apart from a junior officer, who was he?) or elsewhere on the ship.

When did Bosio leave the ship? It seems all the officers were off the ship (apart from the purser, doctor & said junior officer) by the time the last lifeboat had left. When did Bosio actually leave?

I also wonder why more lifeboats didn't come back, why didn't the crew make use of at least some of the dinghys or was it too late to access them from both sides of the ship?

I just hope the enquiry manages to answer all questions, even though we'll have to wait quite some time for this.

We are also told that the Deputy Mayor could not find an officer on the bridge (apart from a junior officer, who was he?) or elsewhere on the ship.

I also keep wondering how the mayor found his way to the bridge at all. The boat was listing and presumably he'd never been there before - ? He looked like a civvy and therefore a passenger so who would direct him there or believe who he was?

This was already speculated in the original "Costa Concordia Sinking" thread. A number of us were flamed for our opinions there.

Thanks anyway for posting.

Right! That's the original story. But later stories have said he was on the bridge and in fact, was the officer Schettino ordered to hit the button on the "black box" to record the night's information and who later told Schettino that it wasn't operational when he tried to carry out that order.

If you believe the Spiegle story, Bosio was one who ordered the abandon ship. How could he be doing that if he was down by the lifeboats loading passengers?

Cloning. That's the only explanation for the multiple Schettinos and profusion of Bosios running around the Concordia.

Or, I suppose the information reported may not be completely accurate... :D:D

You're welcome. :) Apparently the woman was interrogated by prosecutors for 6 hours today. Her belongings were found in the captain's cabin by divers so there's no way of getting around that. :eek:

This was already speculated in the original "Costa Concordia Sinking" thread. A number of us were flamed for our opinions there.

I'll wait and see. I'd rather see the original testimony, since the actual quotations are the kind of thing that could be misconstrued and are in contrast with her early television interview.

Another problem is that often the English language stories reference original stories printed in the Italian press. Sometimes they are impossible to find! So again, we're dealing with translation issues and interpretations of interpretations of actual testimony, if there really is an original story at all.

It makes it tough to sift through to find the truth.

You're welcome. :) Apparently the woman was interrogated by prosecutors for 6 hours today. Her belongings were found in the captain's cabin by divers so there's no way of getting around that. :eek:

Well, what the article said was...

"It has been reported that she did not have her own cabin. La Repubblica newspaper offered an explanation for the unusual arrangement when it claimed that some of the former dancer's belongings were found in Capt Schettino's cabin, suggesting that they were sharing. "

We know it was reported that she did not have her own cabin, but she and Costa were reported as saying that she did and both have offered to provide proof to the authorities.

Which doesn't prove or disprove anything, except to call into question the allegation that she didn't have her own cabin. I'm inclined to think she did, but there's no indication if that's where she intended to sleep that night.

I haven't heard about divers finding her belongings in the captain's cabin until this story. Again, I'm going to wait and see.

If that's directed at me, that isn't fair. I challenged the assumption that a young attractive woman MUST be sleeping with someone, and the assumption that she would be responsible for the accident by virtue of her gender and physical appearance.

It's like any other prejudice based on physical appearance.

If I called you on an assumption based on racial physical differences, I wouldn't be accused of flaming you for your opinions.

Web cam image taken Jan. 30, 2012 showing daybreak at Giglio and the wreck of Costa Concordia. One thing odd I noticed was how the morning ferry from the mainland took a wider than normal arc coming up well behind the wreck and then paralleled it before coming into port.

boat1.jpg

Just interested, how did you know that?

Milaandra ... It seems its ok for the media to say "her belongings were found in the Captains cabin" but by whom ? notice they never back up their so called facts! for their stories.

According to this article in the Repubblica today the divers found the items:

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/02/news/costa_la_francia_apre_un_indagine_e_intanto-29202227/index.html?ref=search

Not saying it's true or not - just that it was reported by an Italian newspaper:

"Some personal items of the 25 year-old Moldovan Domnica Cemortan, were found by divers in the captain's cabin of the Costa Concordia Francesco Schettino. There were also clothing, a cosmetic bag. Investigators yesterday demanded an explanation during interrogation that went on for six hours, in a barracks in Marina di Grosseto.

I also keep wondering how the mayor found his way to the bridge at all. The boat was listing and presumably he'd never been there before - ? He looked like a civvy and therefore a passenger so who would direct him there or believe who he was?

I expect that any deputy mayor from a village where everyone primarily makes their living from fishing and boats (and tourism) would be able to find the bridge which was plainly visible from the water when approaching the ship from the town.

If that's directed at me, that isn't fair. I challenged the assumption that a young attractive woman MUST be sleeping with someone, and the assumption that she would be responsible for the accident by virtue of her gender and physical appearance.

It's like any other prejudice based on physical appearance.

I cannot remember exactly who it was. What I do remember is that those who believed that she was more than just a friend of the captain were flamed by some members.

I DID NOT assume that just because she is young and attractive that she MUST be having an affair with the captain. I assumed from the information given at the time (which is now purportedly backed up by her 6hr interview with police) that she had more than just a friendship with the captain.

We are all entitled to our opinions. You are entitled to believe she is just a Costa employee, but (if it was you) please don't flame me/anyone else who believes otherwise. We will see when the court case unfolds.

According to this article in the Repubblica today the divers found the items:

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/02/news/costa_la_francia_apre_un_indagine_e_intanto-29202227/index.html?ref=search

Not saying it's true or not - just that it was reported by an Italian newspaper:

"Some personal items of the 25 year-old Moldovan Domnica Cemortan, were found by divers in the captain's cabin of the Costa Concordia Francesco Schettino. There were also clothing, a cosmetic bag. Investigators yesterday demanded an explanation during interrogation that went on for six hours, in a barracks in Marina di Grosseto.

I expect that domestic life for the captain under house arrest is getting even more difficult now.

The bottom line is that what nearly everyone expected was true regarding the relationship between the dancer and the captain, most likely is true based on the evidence found by the divers - Despite the earlier denials in the press interview of the dancer.

We will probably need wait for the testimony at the trial before it is established as a fact --- or we can just wait for the police call from the apartment this week after the captain's wife beats him over the head with a heavy kitchen utensil. :D

Uniall wants us to consider the facts we receive in light of our experiences of human nature. Uniall's background leads him to believe the worst of people. Mine leads me to believe that few people are completely evil, and those that are (sociopathic or psychopathic) don't usually manage to interact successfully in society. (having said that, my hometown was the home of Paul Bernardo and Karla Holmolka, so it is possible, just rare) Mine leads me to believe that few comprehensively incompetant people do well in their chosen careers. Bluster only takes someone so far.

I don't believe people have become "evil". I believe the self imposed and external restraints on their actions have slipped away and no one challenges them for fear of being accused of being "judgmental".

I believe the thin veneer of civilization (which I define as the "Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you") has eroded.

It has been replaced by a new barbarism (which I define as an attitude of: "It's all about me").

That's why I related my Categna, Spain bus stop story. It tells a lot about the changes in human attitudes (not nature) in the last 50 years.

Fifty people believed it was their right to push themselves to the front. The 50 people who were being shoved aside cowered in fear. But, 3 people challenged and stopped the "it's all about me barbarians."

John

PS

Witness the changes in simple things like elevator ettiquette: Observe late comers at the elevator bank rush in front of those who have been waiting for the next car, including people in wheel chairs or walkers.

I cannot remember exactly who it was. What I do remember is that those who believed that she was more than just a friend of the captain were flamed by some members.

I DID NOT assume that just because she is young and attractive that she MUST be having an affair with the captain. I assumed from the information given at the time (which is now purportedly backed up by her 6hr interview with police) that she had more than just a friendship with the captain.

We are all entitled to our opinions. You are entitled to believe she is just a Costa employee, but (if it was you) please don't flame me/anyone else who believes otherwise. We will see when the court case unfolds.

Your memory has not failed you. I was (and remain) one of those who think there is probable cause to believe that Captain "The Coward" Shettino and Domnica "The Inamorta" Cermortan were a coo-some two-some and it had a causal connection between the accident and/or the Captain's failure to carry out his duties for the safey of the passengers.

John

Archived