Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

It has been stated before that huge threads can have an impact on system performance - closing them and strarting new ones help work around this. - not sure if that is the reason here but could be

If CC's forum software works like mine for my forum, a single thread that goes to 5000+ posts messes with the system. The old thread, towards the end was very civil.

Waynetor, you beat me to it.

CC has many many threads that run into the 100,000s (especially the views). But they ARE GROUP CRUISE THREADS promoted by CC. Much more important to them most likely.

Thanks for posting this, if anyone can find part 3 please post the link, I could only find parts 1 and 2

Part 3 will be broadcast tomorrow night, February 1st, so it won't be up tonight.

Regards,

MorganMars

Where is Part 2 ???

John

CC has many many threads that run into the 100,000s (especially the views). But they ARE GROUP CRUISE THREADS promoted by CC. Much more important to them most likely.

Not any longer... or at least they should not have. They did a big sweep on anything over 5000 posts and continue to knock them off around 5K. Views don't count, it's just post numbers.

My friend in the UK said he was surprised at how good the show was because that channel usually is a little on the sensational side. He thought they did a pretty good job of it.

Wondering if an alarm for ship movement went off around 6 a.m. (Italy time.) There was a big spotlight on the front of the ship and then along the top part. Looked like at least one boat had been out there but in the dark it was hard to really see anything other than Concordia.

Found this little blip from an interview on the radio given by Captain's lawyer.

"We say it (he) must be released. There is no danger of escape or no evidence of pollution. The flight is possible for all Italians but the master has family heritage here in his village and then an honor to defend and who wants to defend. "

My friend in the UK said he was surprised at how good the show was because that channel usually is a little on the sensational side. He thought they did a pretty good job of it.

I'll say...I was mesmerized by it. I'm looking forward to part 3!

Someone just psted a thread on the HAL Boards with regards to HAL now taking the Muster/Lifeboat drills very seriously!!

So serious that they are putting people off the shiop if they do not attend!!!

The ship talke dabout in this thread by the OP is the Westerdam. I listened to the ship communications from the bridge on the Port Everglades Web Cam and heard the stateroom numbers called out along with a statement hat "He's packing his bags now." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1561485

Somoen further in the thread mentions that they were told aboard the Oosterdam that people not attending the drill will be put off the ship. They were not joking!!

All I can say is WTG!!!

Joanie

While I applaud HAL, I don't see how this would have helped one thing that happened. First of all, they hadn't had their muster drill yet and second of all, it sounds like all hell broke loose, people panicked and even the crew didn't adhere to guidelines. No matter how serious the passengers would or would not have been at the safety drill, it would not have changed the horrible decisions made by the captain and his crew that night. This post almost sounds like passengers were to blame for the disaster....which is obviously not true. Those passengers were helpless and at the mercy of the ship staff.

From La Repubblica today:

"Passengers rescued last month from the sinking Italian cruise liner Costa Concordia have filed a police complaint in Germany against the ship's captain, Francesco Schettino, and his senior officers, a lawyer said Wednesday.

The 19 alleged the officers 'negligently caused bodily harm, exposed them to danger, imperilled navigation and failed to provide help to persons in distress,' said Hans Reinhardt, the lawyer, in the western town of Marl."

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/01/news/concordia_vento_e_mare_mosso_si_muove_la_vetrata_della_piscina-29130029/index.html?ref=search

"Passengers rescued last month from the sinking Italian cruise liner Costa Concordia have filed a police complaint in Germany against the ship's captain, Francesco Schettino, and his senior officers, a lawyer said Wednesday.

The 19 alleged the officers 'negligently caused bodily harm, exposed them to danger, imperilled navigation and failed to provide help to persons in distress,' said Hans Reinhardt, the lawyer, in the western town of Marl."

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/01/news/concordia_vento_e_mare_mosso_si_muove_la_vetrata_della_piscina-29130029/index.html?ref=search

From your link:

Strong winds and rough seas of north-east today, the island of Giglio. Throughout the day, work on the Costa Concordia will remain stationary. Suspended for at least 24 hours so the operations to empty the tanks of the ship. By morning the winds are causing the apparent movements of the swimming pool at the stern windows. The oscillations are clearly visible from the port. In recent days it was feared that those very large windows collapsing endangering workers. To start the intervention of defueling will have to await improved weather conditions. And the forecast does not bode well: there is a short decreasing in the evening, but tomorrow the weather will get worse again.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffirenze.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2012%2F02%2F01%2Fnews%2Fconcordia_vento_e_mare_mosso_si_muove_la_vetrata_della_piscina-29130029%2Findex.html%3Fref%3Dsearch

The large roof window panels are now open -

see web cam of ship from Giglio:

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

And your link has updated what may have been the issue when I made post 130. At that time, as daylight came, the glass panels were still in place.

"By morning the winds are causing the apparent movements of the swimming pool at the stern windows. The oscillations are clearly visible from the port. In recent days it was feared that those very large windows collapsing endangering workers."

The weather doesn't look like it will improve for tomorrow either.

"To start the intervention of defueling will have to await improved weather conditions. And the forecast does not bode well: there is a short decreasing in the evening, but tomorrow the weather will get worse again."

Yes that's right and the article also states (I forgot to mention) that they have identified one more body as Siglinde Stumpf of Germany. The following people have not been found. RIP

Dayana Arlotti, Italy

William M. Arlotti, Italy

Elisabeth Bauer, Germany

Michael M. Blemand, France

Christina Mathi Ganz, Germany

Norbert Josef Ganz, Germany

Girolamo Giuseppe, Italy, crew

Barbara Heil, United States

Gerald Heil, United States

Mylene Litzler, France

Margarethe Neth, Germany

Russel Terence Rebello, India, crew

Margrit Schroeter, Germany

Maria Grazia Trecarichi, Italy

Brunhild Werp, Germany

And your link has updated what may have been the issue when I made post 130. At that time, as daylight came, the glass panels were still in place.

"By morning the winds are causing the apparent movements of the swimming pool at the stern windows. The oscillations are clearly visible from the port. In recent days it was feared that those very large windows collapsing endangering workers."

The weather doesn't look like it will improve for tomorrow either.

"To start the intervention of defueling will have to await improved weather conditions. And the forecast does not bode well: there is a short decreasing in the evening, but tomorrow the weather will get worse again."

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/early+Costa+Concordia+compensation+lawyer/6084258/story.html

THE HAGUE - A lawyer representing 12 Dutch passengers who escaped the stricken Italian ship Costa Concordia, said Wednesday it was too early to say whether 11,000 euros offered in compensation would be "suitable".

"It is simply to early to say whether the amount is suitable. It takes one or two years before knowing the exact problems survivors of these type of incidents may suffer from," lawyer Sander Lang told AFP.

He said one of his clients suffered "concentration problems", while another had panic attacks in public gatherings, symptoms which Lang said could fade, remain the same or worsen over time.

"Therefore it is necessary to wait" before making a decision, he said.

Oil spreads from wreck of ship off Italy coast

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_19867785

"A thin film of oil spread from the Costa Concordia cruise ship as waves battered its wreckage off Italy's coast Wednesday, adding to fears of an environmental disaster in the area's sensitive, pristine waters. Authorities were trying to assess how serious and extensive the spread was.

A crack also appeared Wednesday between two large glass panels that formed part of the roof of the massive ship. The film of oil was spreading from a separate part of the ship, apparently the stern."

While I applaud HAL, I don't see how this would have helped one thing that happened. First of all, they hadn't had their muster drill yet and second of all, it sounds like all hell broke loose, people panicked and even the crew didn't adhere to guidelines. No matter how serious the passengers would or would not have been at the safety drill, it would not have changed the horrible decisions made by the captain and his crew that night. This post almost sounds like passengers were to blame for the disaster....which is obviously not true. Those passengers were helpless and at the mercy of the ship staff.

I agree with your underlying premise. Perhaps one lesson to be learned is mandatory lifeboat drill before sailing. At least it would give a heads up to passengers on the procedures that are supposed to be used on that ship and they would know if those procedures are not being followed in case of a real emergency.

John

Perhaps one lesson to be learned is mandatory lifeboat drill before sailing. At least it would give a heads up to passengers on the procedures that are supposed to be used on that ship and they would know if those procedures are not being followed in case of a real emergency.
Lifeboat drill before sailing is now an absolute must! no more within-24-hours nonsense

This article with direct quotes from the ships' doctor, Lt Gianluca Marino Cosentino, supports assertions that I made earlier that Captain Schettino was on shore by midnight and left the ship between 10:50pm to 11:30pm. It is clear that the captain was on-shore when he talked with the coast guard and pretending to be in a lifeboat.

Some quotes:

'All I know is that half an hour before the order to abandon ship was given all the crew were on decks by the lifeboats and when the announcement was made I'm 90 per cent certain it was not the captain's voice.'

'When I saw Schettino he seemed shocked and no longer lucid. He had completely deserted his role as captain. Their was no co-ordination of the rescue from him.'

'Personally I was very surprised when I saw him in civilian clothes on the harbour side at around 12.30am'

'Then when I heard that he'd had the time to return to his cabin and collect his personal effects, including his computer, and that eventually he had been unlucky enough to trip into a lifeboat, well, that was the final straw.'

'During the rescue operations I was quite clearly in my uniform and people kept asking me if I had seen the captain and if I knew where he was. Everyone was looking for him.'

Regarding the bolded: That captain is such a coward. :mad: Did he get in a lifeboat with passengers or take one on his own?

I agree with your underlying premise. Perhaps one lesson to be learned is mandatory lifeboat drill before sailing. At least it would give a heads up to passengers on the procedures that are supposed to be used on that ship and they would know if those procedures are not being followed in case of a real emergency.

John

That's true. However, I thought I read that passengers wanted to start loading into the lifeboats and were prevented and held back by the crew.

Regarding the bolded: That captain is such a coward. :mad: Did he get in a lifeboat with passengers or take one on his own?

The claim of the French passengers is that the captain was in Life Boat number 3 (called the captain's launch) with other officers that left the ship first and did not have any passengers in it. It is not clear if this claim is true or not - so it is not really an established fact.

Archived