Get me to Copenhagen and get me to the ship!

whacko

Husband and I will be sailing the Baltic on the Eurodam July 14, arriving in Copenhagen on July 12. What is your experience using public transportation from Kastrup airport into Copenhagen? How about a getting from a Copenhagen hotel to the cruise terminal? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

progress.gif

Husband and I will be sailing the Baltic on the Eurodam July 14, arriving in Copenhagen on July 12. What is your experience using public transportation from Kastrup airport into Copenhagen? How about a getting from a Copenhagen hotel to the cruise terminal? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

progress.gif

We stayed at Hotel D'Angleterre in Copenhagen and it was a short taxi ride to the dock.

HAL uses the 'Scandic Palace' as their pre/post cruise hotel, which would include all transfers and baggage handling! ;)

We stayed at the Marriott and were able to walk into many of the Copenhagen sites. The hotel arranged a van for us and other cruisers. I know there was a cost but don't remember what it was - not much - and it was a short trip.

We took a cab to an airport hotel and stayed another night getting another day of sightseeing in. Talking with other cruisers onboard, we found out about a thing or two we missed and saw them that day. It was an easy walk off the ship with our bags and plenty of taxis waiting.

The train from Copenhagen Airport to Copenhagen Central Station takes less than 15 minutes. The Metro also serves the airport.

After disembarkation we walked without luggage from our berth near the Little Mermaid to the Central Station past Amalienborg Palace and along the Stroget and many interesting sites.

Public transportation will serve you well in Copenhagen. You will receive more thorough answers from Cruise Critic's Baltic board or from TripAdvisor.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g189541-i218-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

The Marriott is huge, unsold rooms go to Priceline. We had a three day stay there a year or so ago, rooms were booked through "name your own price." Check the bidding tips wesites and go for it! I estimate we saved half the cost of just booking the hotel.

brainyblonde

There are many hotels around the train station area. Easy ride in from the airport. Large shiips usually dock at pier further out than the one discussed. Check what pier. You can take a train to it, with about 500meter walk. Easy to do. You will find that Denmark is very expensive. Taxi expensive, though take your credit card. We found good eating places around the train station. Also a grocery store in a mall near the station. I think they had some prepared food also. Check on trip advisor for hotel suggestions, ours had a lovely breakfast buffet.

Sail: We are "walkers" in our late 60's. The Marriott is on the river, we walked everywhere. Could walk to the ship, but a little far with luggage. Tip: free coffee in the lobby, fresh fruit in the gym. We saw all the HAL passengers arrive the night before the cruise, as well as the usual air crews for the major airlines. We liked the luxury for the price. Grab a danish, pun intended, from a bakery the night before and have your own room service. Heaven knows you'll have enough full breakfasts when you board the ship.

brainyblonde

There will be a lot of talk and information on this topic down in the Baltic section of CC as well.

If you pick a hotel near the Central Train station (there are lots), you can take the train from the airport there. Once you get out of customs, you go straight, get your ticket which will be about $6. Trains run every 20 minutes and the journey will be about 30 minutes. MUCH less than taking a cab since Cabs are expensive in this city.

When going to the cruise terminal, you can take either Bus 26 only if you are going Monday through Friday. If it is a weekend, you can take the S-Train to Nordhavn Station which is very close to the Freeport Terminal. Good luck.

Cathy in New Hampshire

Special thanks to Cathyk2 and brainyblonde.

All your imput is very valuable. Our main concern was/is getting from the airport to Copenhagen proper without spending a small fortune. But, that seems irrelevant after buying the cruise! We'd prefer to take the train into Copenhagen from the airport but is it awkward with luggage? We do a lot of walking so that's not an issue

Whacko, No, it is NOT awkward to go on the train from the airport with luggage. Keep in mind, this stop is AT THE AIRPORT. Most people using an airport DO have luggage, so you are going to find that EVERYONE getting on from that location has luggage. I also understand that one of the cars is lower than the others, which makes it even easier to get your luggage on and off. They are definitely prepared for you so enjoy the savings and the traffic jams getting into the city and enjoy!

Cathy in New Hampshire

We did the train from the airport to the Central Train station and stored luggage there, it was early and we knew we could not get into our hotel. It was easy.

We did a cab from the cruise ship back to the airport, it was easy, reasonably priced for 4 of us in a taxi van. As I recall, roughly 50 dollars American, and we got rid of our Kronas.

Taxi was very easy and inexpensive from the hotel to the cruise port and we were dropped off at the luggage drop off site.

Copenhagen is not that big. It is a lovely city.

NOT everyone has luggage! (didn't see anyone else on that car) and the car that stopped in front of us was not lowered so very awkward taking on large suitcases (2001) and carryons. Wished we'd taken bus or cab at that point.

Younger and smaller suitcases, probably no problem.

We took a taxi. So easy and didn't have to drag luggage on and off a train. We are Seniors so this is important. Seems like with the cost of a cruise like this that a taxi isn't a major expense. I really can't remember the cost.

We stayed at The Square. Walked everywhere and we aren't good walkers. It is right on The Square!

Special thanks to Cathyk2 and brainyblonde.

All your imput is very valuable. Our main concern was/is getting from the airport to Copenhagen proper without spending a small fortune. But, that seems irrelevant after buying the cruise! We'd prefer to take the train into Copenhagen from the airport but is it awkward with luggage? We do a lot of walking so that's not an issue

HAL transfer? :)

We are disembarking in Copenhagen, and plan to stay near the Central Station to utilize public transportation. I've read to look for the train cars with the bicycle symbol, those are the ones with the lower decks. Knowing that we plan to both use public transportatoion and do some amount of walking with our luggage, we'll pack light.

Am I the only one that actually looks forward to using public transit? We don't use public transit in the small midwestern city where we live (only busses here), and we think riding the trains is pretty cool!

We are disembarking in Copenhagen, and plan to stay near the Central Station to utilize public transportation. I've read to look for the train cars with the bicycle symbol, those are the ones with the lower decks. Knowing that we plan to both use public transportatoion and do some amount of walking with our luggage, we'll pack light.

Am I the only one that actually looks forward to using public transit? We don't use public transit in the small midwestern city where we live (only busses here), and we think riding the trains is pretty cool!

I love taking public transportation, and hi, from the east coast of Iowa, nothriver. Some of my clearest travel memories are of the tube, trains, and local buses. I remember the horseplay of the horde of schoolkids that piled onto my bus from Monaco to Villefranche-sur-Mer. I remember having the locals try to explain a three handed card game they played atop a briefcase on a slow German train. I remember the American that made a fuss about his wallet being lifted on a crowded Italian bus and got the wallet passed back to him with his money still in it. I remember my first tube ride, above ground most of the way from Heathrow, and then popping out in Piccadilly Square to see red buses and black cabs. Yes, I look forward to taking public transit.

How is it located relative to city center/Tivoli Gardens/Stroget?

Copenhagen is one of our favorite European cities. So walkable, so charming.

We have had great visits there.

Tivoli is across the street from the main station, so it is very centrally located. The Stroget starts at the city hall plaza which is very close to the train station.

Chris

My father and I had problems using our credit cards to purchase train tickets. Eventually we found an agent that could/would do it. Allow extra time to do this.

Out credit cards did not have th chip required by the rr ticket credit card machines.

Archived