Traveling with birth certificate

csk

Hi there - we're traveling on Royal Caribbean next month. I took the following off of the Royal Caribbean website:

"It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage/divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document of the name change. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding."

I'm taking my marriage certificate just in case. I've read on the boards some people have gotten through o.k., and others not, so I think better to be on the safe side. I'd be devestated if I got there and was denied boarding!

Hope this info. helps, and have a great cruise!

~ Rachel :)

Hi there - we're traveling on Royal Caribbean next month. I took the following off of the Royal Caribbean website:

"It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage/divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document of the name change. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding."

I'm taking my marriage certificate just in case. I've read on the boards some people have gotten through o.k., and others not, so I think better to be on the safe side. I'd be devestated if I got there and was denied boarding!

Hope this info. helps, and have a great cruise!

~ Rachel :)

The official proof of nationality would be the DL. Your name on the DL must match your name given when you booked the cruise. The BC for a married woman's name will not match her BC like stated above. Take it if you like but, it isn't needed and mine was never asked for on the many cruises I did before I got my passport.

The official proof of nationality would be the DL. Your name on the DL must match your name given when you booked the cruise. The BC for a married woman's name will not match her BC like stated above. Take it if you like but, it isn't needed and mine was never asked for on the many cruises I did before I got my passport.

Hi,

sorry to disagree with you - DL is not the official proof of nationality, it is only a driver's license, it can be issued to any permanent resident of the US, and makes no difference what nationality .... not too long ago was even issued in MI to visitors from foreign countries,

official, gov. issued BC proves if the person is a US citizen ( by birth ) and the DL only serves as an ID because has a picture on it and was issued by some gov. agency.

If traveling with a birth certificate and have been married so last name is not the same, do I need a marriage certificate or just birth certificate and id.

I just spoke with RC about a month ago about this. My minor children will be traveling with only a BC. My 17 year old will use his BC and his drivers license. Husband and I have passports. Its a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas and so we're good to go. The helpful rep did mention (not knowing I had a passport) that if I am using a BC and drivers license with different last names I will need my marriage certificate.

I have an email from RC clearly stating all of the above, as well as my verbal conversation with a rep.

Hope this helped- enjoy your cruise!

I just spoke with RC about a month ago about this. My minor children will be traveling with only a BC. My 17 year old will use his BC and his drivers license. Husband and I have passports. Its a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas and so we're good to go. The helpful rep did mention (not knowing I had a passport) that if I am using a BC and drivers license with different last names I will need my marriage certificate.

I have an email from RC clearly stating all of the above, as well as my verbal conversation with a rep.

Hope this helped- enjoy your cruise!

Just want to mention PLEASE make sure their BC are valid. Law was changed in April and I would hate for you guys to get stuck at the pier. I had to order a new one for my DH and my 7 year old DD for our cruise this past October.

Just because one person says she never needed it is not good enough, in my opinion, anyway... tell sis to bring all documents. Better safe and on the ship than sorry and on the dock. ;)

This is good advice. People can say that they didn't need it, but I WAS asked for a bridging document (marriage license) on three cruises, and I was awfully glad I had it! (I've since gotten my passport renewed, so I no longer have to worry about it.)

I agree that they are not consitant in asking for marriage certificates. My mom has a passport now but took a couple of cruise prior to getting it. She was asked for the marriage certificate the second time but not the first. I insisted she bring the marriage certificate "just in case" since I had read sometimes it was needed. I don't know if they would have denied her boarding without it, but better safe than sorry.

Better safe than sorry!

I did 3 RCCL cruises and was never asked nor did it even dawn on me to have or bring one. The next time they asked for it and again I did not have it with me. They had to call someone and it took about 10 minutes or so for someone to say ok, I could board without it. I was pretty scared for those minutes that they might come bak and say "Sorry ma'am but we can't let you board :eek:"

You can bet your bippy that I made sure a copy of my marriage certificate is folded inside my birth cert. from that day forward. That should no longer be an issue as we are finally getting around to getting passports :D.

My Advice: TAKE THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE.

I was on the Jewel out of Tampa in December- traveling with just birth certificate and DL and was asked for my marriage certificate as well- thank goodness I keep a photo copy in my wallet- and they accepted it.

I saw this on tv when they was showing how the Oasis did their turn around day. At one point this bride use the married name on the document, but nothing to support the document , i think it was either her birth certificate or passport. She was about to get denied from all this. I think she some how got a hold of somebody to show marriage certificate and got it fax. She was on her way to board. So my suggestion if driver license or passport or birth certificate doe snot support the document then it useless. Alway fined something that can match the name up till you get it resolved in future like marriage certificate. These things are weightless and it is annoying to carry them all over, but it will be handy when you think you don't but you probably will. Be safe then sorry.

I would either bring the marriage license or have someone at home on stand by that can fax it or you WILL take a chance on getting denied boarding.

This issue pops up around here from time to time and I say its better to be safe than sorry. Those that have not been asked for it is in no way meant to translate into its not required. They just got lucky and had a agent that wasnt very thorough is all.

I say take it. Its not worth the risk. As soon as you leave it at home, you will need it IMO

In fact, Im pretty sure it states that it is required somewhere on RCI's website?

People can say that they didn't need it, but I WAS asked for a bridging document (marriage license) on three cruises, and I was awfully glad I had it!

...The next time they asked for it and again I did not have it with me. They had to call someone and it took about 10 minutes... My Advice: TAKE THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE.

I was on the Jewel out of Tampa in December- traveling with just birth certificate and DL and was asked for my marriage certificate as well...

Bring it just to be safe. My parents were asked for it on Monarch over Christmas, and a photocopy was just fine.

There you go - fine examples of what one should do. Thanks, everyone.

Archived