While in Port, can you come and go off Ship anytime?

ccerts

I'm going on my first real cruise next Sunday! The NCL Spirit out of New Orleans.

This is probably the dumbest question ever. I see when we arrive at our ports and when we depart the ports...Are there set times that we have to get off the boat? Are there set times that we have to get on? For example, could I get off the boat at 1pm and get back on at 2pm?

Also, every time we get on and off, do we go through some sort of customs (so do you take your passport with you each port)? Not that I'm worried about anything, I'm just wondering how hard (fast) it is to get on and off the ship.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm so excited!:eek:

Thanks!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dates Port Arrival Departure Sun New Orleans 5:00 PM Mon At Sea Tue Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Wed Belize City, Belize 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Thu Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Fri Costa Maya, Mexico 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Sat At Sea Sun New Orleans 8:00 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once they announce that you can get off the ship, you can get off and on as many times as you wish. You will simply have to swipe your key card (it is credit card size, and will serve as your room key, credit card to bill anything (cocktails, massages, etc) you buy on board and when you swipe it getting off and back on, it shows the seccurity folks your picture and lets them know who is aboard or who isn't...sometimes just before sailing, you will hear folks paged. This typically means either they are about to miss the ship OR there was a computer glitch and the report the computer is showing them says those folks aren't on board but they are.

Typically, there will be a sign posted when you get off the ship that will tell you what time you have to be back aboard - typically 30 minutes before sailway. We always plan on being back an hour ahead - I don't do that whole run for the gangway thing very well:D

Regarding passport/id, usually if you leave the secured area of the port, you will have to show your key card and picture ID can sometimes have to run your bags through a scanner - you will have to do the same when you come back aboard. We usually leave our passports in the safe but have our Driver's License and a photocopy of our passport with us.

Have a great first cruise!

I'm going on my first real cruise next Sunday! The NCL Spirit out of New Orleans.

This is probably the dumbest question ever. I see when we arrive at our ports and when we depart the ports...Are there set times that we have to get off the boat? Are there set times that we have to get on? For example, could I get off the boat at 1pm and get back on at 2pm?

Also, every time we get on and off, do we go through some sort of customs (so do you take your passport with you each port)? Not that I'm worried about anything, I'm just wondering how hard (fast) it is to get on and off the ship.

Thanks!!!!!

Dates Port Arrival Departure Sun New Orleans 5:00 PM Mon At Sea Tue Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Wed Belize City, Belize 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Thu Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Fri Costa Maya, Mexico 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Sat At Sea Sun New Orleans 8:00 AM

There are no restrictions, however, you must have your room key card and a picture ID to exit and enter the ship. This is easy at the ports where you are docked, but a little more cumbersome at the tender ports.

Belize is a tender port and the ride is around fifteen minutes each way since the ship anchors about four miles out because of the shallow water. They will issue tender tickets (time will be posted in the Freestyle daily) and for early departures you will need to get a ticket. They will call numbers that will allow those holding the tickets to go to the tender. After the initial rush, you can go without a number and can come and go as many times as you choose.

The only dumb questions are those you DON'T ask !!!! Have a great cruise !!!!

Congratulations and enjoy! You are going to have a great timeon the Spirit.

One thing to remember (and I mention because I forgot on my last cruise) is that once you get off the ship you are like any other traveller in a foreign country. Remember to bring not only your key card but passport (or color photocopy) / other ID, cash etc.:)

Wow! Great fast responses! No Mexican, Belize or Honduras customs. No armed customs guards yelling "Reisepass!". Whew!

1. Take off the ship Drivers License, Room Key and Color Copy of my passport. CHECK ;) And I can't forget, lots of money to spend.

2. Can go on and off ship as we please. CHECK ;)

3. Belize City is a tender port. That means we anchor off shore and little boats take us on and off the boat? :(

4. Are Cozumel, Costa Maya and Rotan ports with a dock? We just walk off the boat? :rolleyes:

Thanks!!!! It's gonna be great!!!!

3. Belize City is a tender port. That means we anchor off shore and little boats take us on and off the boat? :(

Make sure you are good physical condition for tendering though. They make everyone grab an oar to help get to shore. It's quite exhausting.

Make sure you are good physical condition for tendering though. They make everyone grab an oar to help get to shore. It's quite exhausting.

Very nice!!!! Ha Ha. I'd like to see my 4 year old help paddle. We'd be going in circles.

So what you are telling me is the tender boats are bigger than the Titanic evacuation boats I had in mind.

Thanks! :)

WELCOME TO CRUISING AND NCL!

I think your questions are perfectly fine. On several occasions we have gone ashore, explored, returned to the ship for lunch and a rest and gone back to explore some more.

And I have to admit I have returned to the ship for money/travellers checks/credit card, etc. when I saw something I wanted to buy.

One thing about tender ports, lines coming and going can be long. So that may play into your decisions.

Have a great time... I hear the Spirit is lovely and unique.

Please come back and give us a review and your opinions on cruising, NCL and the Spirit as well as the ports.

Wow! Great fast responses! No Mexican, Belize or Honduras customs. No armed customs guards yelling "Reisepass!". Whew!

1. Take off the ship Drivers License, Room Key and Color Copy of my passport. CHECK ;) And I can't forget, lots of money to spend.

2. Can go on and off ship as we please. CHECK ;)

4. Are Cozumel, Costa Maya and Rotan ports with a dock? We just walk off the boat? :rolleyes:

There is a remote possibility that you could tender at some of the other ports, but not likely. The tender boats at Belize are pretty good sized and FAST!!!! You really don't need the passport copy unless you are one who likes to press the time getting back to the ship and could get left behind !!!

Hi! Thanks for posting this topic. I actually learned some things too. I wouldn't have thought to bring a color copy of my passport off the ship. I didn't last time (my first time) cruising. :eek:

Anyway, this is not a great picture but it gives you a little perspective of what the tender boats can be like. They have 2 open air decks.

This is from Great Stirrup Cay in 2010:

35832_463532093708_588083708_6310538_7295784_n.jpg

Thanks!!!!!

Are you sailing February 12th? If so, check out your roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1334015&page=113

Agree with all above.

The one thing you asked that I didn't seen answered was "do we go through some sort of customs" I will answer that with sometimes. In mexico we had to pass through local port security before and after the ship checkin. We also had to do that at at least one of our ports on our Eastern Caribbean but I don't remember which. They did require photo ID with our room key card. They checked through our bags as well. No biggy, just thought you may want to be aware that some ports do have more than just ship check in and out.

Very nice!!!! Ha Ha. I'd like to see my 4 year old help paddle. We'd be going in circles.

So what you are telling me is the tender boats are bigger than the Titanic evacuation boats I had in mind.

Thanks! :)

If you haven't read this wonderful review of the Spirit posted last year by russianmom, you might want to take a look:) I don't know if you are taking the 4 year old you mention above along with you, but this couple also had a 4 year old (who turned 5 on their cruise), and it sounds like he got a lot of extra attention lol

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369330

If you haven't read this wonderful review of the Spirit posted last year by russianmom, you might want to take a look:) I don't know if you are taking the 4 year old you mention above along with you, but this couple also had a 4 year old (who turned 5 on their cruise), and it sounds like he got a lot of extra attention lol

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369330

Thank you!!!!

We SADLY had to cancel the Spirit this year:( but are taking our son on the Jewel in April so keep your eyes peeled for that review!!!

The Spirit was by far my favorite cruise. I loved the ship and the crew was wonderful.

Enjoy your trip ccerts- the folks on that roll call are a great group!:D

When a cruise ship comes to town, EVERYONE knows it. Most ports have several cruise ships docked per day. If you have your room card and photo ID you will be fine. Do not take your passport. The chance for loss or theft is too great. You will not need it. You look like a tourist and will be treated as such by virtually everyone you encounter.

Especially if you were to have any issues with police or medical emergencies. However, not taking your passport also keeps you safe from theft and passport confiscation, which as far as scams go, I've heard is a big one. They ask to see it, then tell you they can't release it to you until you have paid a certain sum of money. A copy wouldn't be that interesting. Not that you should expect scams, especially if you stick to ship excursions or do your research here. :) Have a great trip!

The whole "take or not take" your passport is often argued back and forth. The decision is yours. You can find many long discussions here about that.

Moving on...

In every port they will say you need your ships id and another photo id. Based on the 20+ ports we have been in, less than 10% actually needed to see an ID - usually because you had to transit the commercial port area to get to the ship. None of those ports worried about customs type stuff. If I remember right, only Egypt cared about immigration, and that was minimal. Some did a simple look over of your stuff before getting near the ship. Everytime the ship did a normal scan, sort of like airports did 15 years ago. Nothing that slows you down.

You will need your ships ID. You can come and go all you want.

Archived