Has anyone requested this before

akruz

We are having trouble getting flights to FLL at a price that is affordable and does not cost more than the cruise itself. It is not working out well and to leave us just looking everyday until April for airfare will be ridiculous. Our cruise with Celebrity leaves on april 7 and we have pd in full. Is it possible to change to an earlier date without penalty etc to Mar 24th. Or I guess move to a different itineray and different ship?

I hope someone has experience in this area or had to change plans. I will not get our money back as it is paid. awkward situration but did not do my homework, properly. So please understand just a newbie.

We are flying from Saskatoon, Sk and the cruise leaves on April 7th and returns April 21st. Being Easter and school break the airfares are high. We did the flexi thing a day before April 6 and day after April 21st. Did not check today but we found it high.

We also seem to always pick busy times to travel and have thought about driving to another city for a cheaper flight BUT then you have parking charges (seems something always happens to the car in the lots)and at least one hotel - sometimes one on each end. And then there is the weather factor/traffic - especially if you are not familiar with that city. Extra costs for food for the extra days so it does add up and can cost more. I guess we all think back a few years when flying was much cheaper and less of a hastle.

well, you can call Celebrity and ask (or have your travel agent call if you used one). You may hear yes, you may hear no. I have heard occasionally of people having success doing this on their sister line Royal Caribbean, so there is some hope they may agree to allow you to switch. Most likely the regular booking agents will not be able to help...you will probably have to speak to their resolutions dept. I suspect you will have to spend a bit more on the cabins on the new cruise compared to the old ones to help Celebrity to have a reason to say yes to your request. I hope it works out for you.

You're within the final payment window. Unless the cruise is selling extremely well and they need your cabin, it's not in their interest to let you switch.

Still, it can't hurt to call and ask. Before doing that, though, I'd have a few dates in mind that you're willing to switch to and can find affordable airfare for.

Does Celebrity have packages that include air? Have you inquired as to how much it would cost to add it on at this point? While "cruise air" tends to be higher priced than what many of us can find on our own, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, you might get lucky.

I feel for you. I have made mistakes like this myself, not paying attention to the dates. Since it is such a high travel period with Easter and spring break, I would think there is a possibility that the cruise line would accommodate your request to move to later April or May. Spring breaks last pretty much throughout March, so that's not as good a move. It might be in their interests, having less problem filling your vacancy in a high period, and filling a slot during a low period.

I would immediately check with the cruise line, the sooner the better.

Have you checked Westjet flights to either Orlando or Fort Lauderdale? Another option would be to fly in to Jacksonville and drive (about 5 hours).

Also check flights into West Palm Beach ... they are generally considerably cheaper. You'll spend a bit getting from WPB to MIA, but it may be worthwhile.

Whatever you do, plan to fly in the day before. Weather in Western Canada in April is so unpredictable (I'm from Calgary ... been there, done that!)

This will be my sixth cruise, fares just never came down this year for Canadians. Because there are 4 of us and we have the time we decided to drive to Florida. So the OP should not feel badly, its a VERY unusual year. If this trend continues, it will really decrease the number of Canadians willing to travel to the south.

We are flying from Saskatoon, Sk and the cruise leaves on April 7th and returns April 21st. Being Easter and school break the airfares are high. We did the flexi thing a day before April 6 and day after April 21st. Did not check today but we found it high.

We're also from Saskatoon and have found that driving to Calgary or Edmonton can result in considerable savings in airfare. If you feel really adventurous, check out flights from Minot; you can drive there and then drive home. Worth a try. Enjoy your cruise, whenever you go! I just checked travelocity dot com and came up with $527 per person - that's a pretty good fare for travelling over the Easter break.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

March and April are both Spring Break vacation months where many people travel to Florida. I do not think your airfare will change significantly by changing your date to March.

Try checking other airports such as Miami, Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, etc.

What port are you trying to get to? Wikipedia has a list of all Florida airports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Florida

Ger 77 was that fare from Calgary, Minot or Saskatoon. Maybe the airfares change on the weekends. Thanks

I'm not Ger, but air fares usually go UP on weekends. The lowest fares are usually on Tuesdays ... at least that's the case in the States and I suspect it is in Canada, too. Especially if you're flying on a US airline.

Minot is $616 on travelocity. You can fly from Bismarck for a bit less.

Another option is flying into Orlando/Sanford airport. It means a bit of a drive, but they fly out of Grand Forks, and their fares are a LOT less. I threw in some dates and came up with fares of about $450 pp. They do not fly every day, so you might need to fly in a day earlier, and then you'd have to rent a car and get down to Miami (about a 3.5 hour drive or less on the turnpike --- it's an easy drive). Plus you'd have an additional hotel night and food charges. http://www.allegiantair.com

Are there any charters to Orlando from Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary or Edmonton at that time of year? That's another option.

I want to thank each and everyone for caring about our situation. A very caring site and informative replies. Alot of ideas that I have to work out and see if they materialize for us. My prob is that if I can avoid travelling 6-7 hours in a vehicle it would be a blessing for my knee surgery recovery. However, I have TA on it too. I do not think it will be possible to change the Celebrity dates at this time without penalties. So we gain zip. We can get a rate that would be reasonable but have to leave April 3. It would save us each over 200.00 X4 and it would leave from a city within decent driving range. We would have to do hotels, eats, etc but I guess the savings would be applied to the x day costs. I will know for sure by late this pm if this option is the way to go. Would have to use 3 x days of vacation, too.

If that is the case, I will need ideas for hotels, things to do, hotel on last day close to port, etc.

Soon I will have things sorted and will not have to bother with so many questions. trust me there will be questions till I get hotels, excursions sorted out.

This has taught me a good lesson in travel and my only excuse is I was so excited to go on a cruise within my price range to celebrate our 40th.

Thanks

If that is the case, I will need ideas for hotels, things to do, hotel on last day close to port, etc.

Soon I will have things sorted and will not have to bother with so many questions. trust me there will be questions till I get hotels, excursions sorted out.

Glad to see you may be able to find a solution to your problem. When it comes to hotels... go to the North American Homeports section of Cruise Critic and pick Florida Departures - lots of info here.

Same thing for excursions... Ports of Call section and pick your island - again lots of info. Good luck and try not to stress out too much.

We were in the same situation for a spring break cruise a few years ago. We ended up going down 2 days early to save $800 on airfare for our family. We used priceline and got a hotel for $100 a night so we came out ahead. I feel for you! Hope it works out.:rolleyes:

Ger 77 was that fare from Calgary, Minot or Saskatoon. Maybe the airfares change on the weekends. Thanks

It was from Minot to Ft Lauderdale. We've found flying into Ft Lauderdale is usually cheaper, even factoring in transportation from there to Miami.

BTW, Happy 40th Anniversary!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived