Oceania Shore Excursions

SF_Bill

We're considering the Dubai to Capetown sailing this December on Nautica and are wondering about the cost and quality of Oceania's shore excursions. Any ideas about what we can expect would be appreciated.

We're considering the Dubai to Capetown sailing this December on Nautica and are wondering about the cost and quality of Oceania's shore excursions. Any ideas about what we can expect would be appreciated.

This itinerary hasn't been offered before, so nobody really KNOWS, however, Oceania shore excursions are usually well planned and interesting.

If there have been complaints about them, they are usually that the groups were too large or that they are more expensive than a DIY tour.

Neither of those things should be of much concern on a 30 day itinerary. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the planning process; getting there is half the fun !

JimandStan,

Can you please explain why more crowded buses and higher prices than DIY tours should not be a consideration on a 30 day itinerary? Thanks.

No to put too fine a a point on it, it's a factor of age, stamina and wherewithal.

They are just more costly than those on the major cruise lines. And, really no better. What I will say is that they stand behind their product. We did a full day excursion in the Dominican Republic which was terrible and not as marketed and we automatically received a fifty percent refund because of other people who complained. It was also the first excursion where everyone got back to the bus early and asked if we could leave. Our other excursions were very good. There are only so many tour operators in some of these ports that are used by all the companies. I am sure that they will offer many great excursions however, if this is the first time for this itinerary, you will be the guinea pigs.

We have found that DIY tours, in most cases, are not only far more reasonable but much more enjoyable. If you have a small group of people instead of a busload, you are assured of being able to hear what the guide is saying. Also, you are able to ask more questions if you are so inclined. We've gotten insights and had great experiences we would never have gotten in a large group. For example, we had a private guide for three days in Istanbul. On the second day, after we had seen many of the big "important" tourist sites, he took us to a neighborhood mosque. We were the only foreigners in the area. It was shortly before midday prayers. We saw men taking off their shoes and socks to wash their feet before entering the mosque. There was a separate entrance to the mosque off to the side which was the women's section. When I went to peek inside (trying to keep enough distance so it wouldn't be offensive), an elderly woman came to the entrance. She gave me a glorious welcoming smile and beckoned to me to enter. I was inappropriately dressed in capri pants and my head wasn't covered, yet she overlooked this. I'll never forget her smile and the warmth of her invitation. It was really moving. At the time I recall thinking that the world could take lessons from that woman.

Arranging for your own guides instead of using ship excursions takes some work. Going on the roll call for your cruise puts you in touch with others who may be planning private tours. Also, if this is a new cruise for Oceania, you can post on other boards with ships that take your route to ask for recommended guides. People on these boards are helpful. Of course, I think this particular board is the best!

• 2 weeks later...

We just come from that cruise Dubai to Cape Town last november 23- december21.

Wonderful cruise but the next cruise from Dubai won't have the same itinerary than ours. We have visited Maldives Island, Ile Maurice and spent three days at Seychelles and a day at Ile de la Reunion.

Oceania change this itinerary. Why ? It was so interesting.

About the shore excursions, we usually don't take those from the ship.

Too expensive !!! We organize the tours by ourselves. You will always find somebody to share at each pier. Then much cheaper and very interesting with just a few people ( 4,6,...)

JimandStan,

I guess I'm being dense but I still don't understand why crowded buses and higher prices have anything to do with age, stamina and wherewithal.

Maybe I can jump in here and help. There are people who like the security of being on tour with the cruise ship..they know if anything happens the ship will wait and they are safe. We (on this board) are mostly very experienced travelers and like to DIY..I find seniors dont want to be bothered making arrangements and worrying if it is safe. So basically I am saying different strokes for different folks..if there was not a demand for cruise line tours there would not be any..

Jancruz1

Jan,

Thanks for your explanation. What I think you are saying (and JimandStan as well) is that 30 day cruises are mostly populated by older people who feel more comfortable depending on the ship for excursions.

What I was actually responding to was that the groups were too large on the tours and that this was not a factor on longer cruises. In your experience do they put fewer people on the buses on longer cruises?

Jan,

Thanks for your explanation. What I think you are saying (and JimandStan as well) is that 30 day cruises are mostly populated by older people who feel more comfortable depending on the ship for excursions.

What I was actually responding to was that the groups were too large on the tours and that this was not a factor on longer cruises. In your experience do they put fewer people on the buses on longer cruises?

No they dont..

Jancruz1

I can see that this is never going to go away unless I get terribly specific.

So here goes:

Because of the cost and the free time required; longer cruises, particularly those longer than 21 days, are populated by a distinctly older passenger load.

1) Although older people are healthier today, at a certain point one or the other of the couple start to need more TLC than can be guaranteed on a ship sponsored shore excursion, so those people either make private arrangements or stay on the ship.

2) Older Passengers have already seen more of the World. If they have already been to a port, they will often opt to have a leisurely luncheon in a favorite restaurant, or visit an old friend, rather than take an excursion.

3) Well traveled people are also less likely to make a false economy, like sitting on a bus for three hours, in order to save a buck. They will typically organize a small group or travel independently in order to maximize their comfort.

After you subtract all of these subgroups from the already smaller Oceania passenger load, you will discover that it is much more likely that a tour will be cancelled because they can't round up the minimum number required than it is that the tour bus will be uncomfortably crowded.

To repeat myself, "it's a factor of age, stamina and wherewithal", but then almost everything in life is. :rolleyes:

I can see that this is never going to go away unless I get terribly specific.

So here goes:

Because of the cost and the free time required; longer cruises, particularly those longer than 21 days, are populated by a distinctly older passenger load.

1) Although older people are healthier today, at a certain point one or the other of the couple start to need more TLC than can be guaranteed on a ship sponsored shore excursion, so those people either make private arrangements or stay on the ship.

2) Older Passengers have already seen more of the World. If they have already been to a port, they will often opt to have a leisurely luncheon in a

favorite restaurant, or visit an old friend, rather than take an excursion.

3) Well traveled people are also less likely to make a false economy, like sitting on a bus for three hours, in order to save a buck. They will typically organize a small group or travel independently in order to maximize their comfort.

After you subtract all of these subgroups from the already smaller Oceania passenger load, you will discover that it is much more likely that a tour will be cancelled because they can't round up the minimum number required than it is that the tour bus will be uncomfortably crowded.

To repeat myself, "it's a factor of age, stamina and wherewithal", but then almost everything in life is. :rolleyes:

Well said. Sometimes you just have to spell things out for people.:rolleyes:

As one of those people for whom things obviously need to be spelled out I appreciate all the great points in JimandStan's last post. I still have qualms about overcrowded buses and high tour prices not mattering on longer cruises. I have been on a two month cruise where everyone still considered the price and comfort of a ship tour as opposed to a private one. In fact, imo a private tour offers much more TLC than a ship tour. Let's just say we all look at certain things differently.

How many people is a bus load on a DIY compared to a ship tour?

When I book cruise going to ports I have never been before the first thing I do is reasearch the heck out of the area. I get tons of great info from cruise critic and google. I call the suggested tour guides and the info I get back is "for 2 persons that is $690 but if you go on your roll call and get other people to go it will be much more reasonable". Now it becomes a chore and I have to conjure up a bus load of people if I want a better price and sometimes it's not all that much cheaper than a ship tour.

So I have no problem booking a ships tour for convienence (spelling?) when the price isn't all that different.

Also a Taxi is a consideration to get away from crowded busses and I've had some luck there but other times I had no luck at all so I'd rather go with a trusted tour guide and that usually means a crowded bus, either with a ship tour or DIY.

How many people is a bus load on a DIY compared to a ship tour?

If I book a private tour I never do more than 12 people most of the time only 8 per van

I have done private tours with more than 1 van though

It is up to you how many you want in your group

Usually more people less $$

If I book a private tour I never do more than 12 people most of the time only 8 per van

I have done private tours with more than 1 van though

It is up to you how many you want in your group

Usually more people less $$

We still end up going to the same places that all of the tours go. It's only the ride there that may be less crowded.

I would still rather pay less than what the ship offers for the same tour but will book a ships tour first is the price is comparable. It's just easier.

We still end up going to the same places that all of the tours go. It's only the ride there that may be less crowded.

I would still rather pay less than what the ship offers for the same tour but will book a ships tour first is the price is comparable. It's just easier.

No argument here

It is a personal choice

Keep in mind

On a private tour you are only waiting for your party to get back to the van & not 40 others on the bus

Someone always thinks the time specified to be on the bus does not apply to them & other stops are cut short or missed because of time constraints

Been there , done that

if the prices were the same I would choose the private tour every time

YMMV

Lyn

Keep in mind -- on a private tour you are only waiting for your party to get back to the van & not 40 others on the bus

Someone always thinks the time specified to be on the bus does not apply to them & other stops are cut short or missed because of time constraints

Been there , done that if the prices were the same I would choose the private tour every time. YMMV

I think there's another reason that small groups created via roll call work well: you've already spent some time beforehand bonding. You know one another a little bit through in-advance correspondence so you're not inclined to offend one another by being late or other irritating behavior.

Now, my own preference is always for a private tour just for my husband and me. My tendency towards sea sickness causes us to book a lower deck veranda cabin, albeit mid-ship, and that frees up a nice chunk of change to apply to private tours.

Cruising definitely isn't a one-size-fits-all experience.

It's true that sometimes you go to the same places, but that's not always true. Depending on the port you may have lots of options. Yes, if you want to see Ephesus everyone is going the same place.

I've been on plenty of DIY tours where the ship's tours did NOT go there.

When I am part of a DIY group most often it has been 6-8 people in a comfortable van. In Belfast a fellow passenger ended up with 16 people for a tour to the Giant's Causeway. We were supposed to be in a minibus but we actually had a full-sized bus which gave us plenty of room.

As Lyn often says, it IS a personal choice whether you opt for the safety of a ship's tour or plan a trip for a smaller group.

Mura

I think there's another reason that small groups created via roll call work well: you've already spent some time beforehand bonding. You know one another a little bit through in-advance correspondence

Yes, and I love meeting all the people I have been corresponing with on the roll call. So much fun putting faces to names. I have made some lifetime friends from first meeting them on roll calls.

Archived