Departing from Quebec

Will be on a Cruise departing Oct. 2012 from Quebec, will have an overnight before departing. PLan to be onbaord early afternoon day before departing. what would be the most economical way to get to the "walled" area to explore and is this the best option for a few hours exploring beautiful Quebec. Want to waunder around but do not know how far from the Cruise Port anything is? Will we need to have Canadian currency for taxis? Do busses run cruise passengers to areas of interest when they are in Port?

any info will be appreciated, many thanks

what would be the most economical way to get to the "walled" area to explore

The short answer is: walk up the hill. The main cruise terminal is in Lower Town, down the hill from the walled Upper Town, but still considered part of Old Quebec. You really have a lot of options within an easy walk of your ship. Alternately, you can take the small electric Ecolobus ($1), which does a loop including both Upper and Lower Town.

The background photo of this page of the Port of Québec's website shows just how central the port is.

Will be on a Cruise departing Oct. 2012 from Quebec, will have an overnight before departing. PLan to be onbaord early afternoon day before departing. what would be the most economical way to get to the "walled" area to explore and is this the best option for a few hours exploring beautiful Quebec. Want to waunder around but do not know how far from the Cruise Port anything is? Will we need to have Canadian currency for taxis? Do busses run cruise passengers to areas of interest when they are in Port?

any info will be appreciated, many thanks

This is a marvellous guide to Quebec City's port. Not to be missed

http://www. toms port guides dot com

no spaces.

Is there somewhere close to the port where I can buy wine? Is there somewhere I can buy toiletries like shaving cream, hairspray, etc.? Will they take U.S. traveler's checks?

Lots of places to buy toiletries. There appears to be a S.AQ. in the chateau Frontenac. (Societee d'Alcohols du Quebec= liquor/wine store). Traveler's cheques are obsolete. Use a credit card or get cash from an atm.

Is there somewhere close to the port where I can buy wine? Is there somewhere I can buy toiletries like shaving cream, hairspray, etc.? Will they take U.S. traveler's checks?

There are a couple of convenience stores near the port - one in a gas station, very basic, and another more complete one which does carry a fairly good selection of wine and basic supplies (or at least did the last time I was in there, which admittedly was last year). If you want something bigger, there's a Metro grocery store on Charest boul., which is walkable in a pinch (although a bit of a hike), or can easily be reached by city bus (the No. 1 route has stops right in front of Metro and the cruise terminal).

Lots of places to buy toiletries. There appears to be a S.AQ. in the chateau Frontenac. (Societee d'Alcohols du Quebec= liquor/wine store). Traveler's cheques are obsolete. Use a credit card or get cash from an atm.

There are a couple of convenience stores near the port - one in a gas station, very basic, and another more complete one which does carry a fairly good selection of wine and basic supplies (or at least did the last time I was in there, which admittedly was last year). If you want something bigger, there's a Metro grocery store on Charest boul., which is walkable in a pinch (although a bit of a hike), or can easily be reached by city bus (the No. 1 route has stops right in front of Metro and the cruise terminal).

Thank you for the help. Will I be able to use US $ to purchase items and pay for a meal? I will, of course, have credit cards with me, but there is always an extra charge from the CC company for each use. Thanks again!

Thank you for the help. Will I be able to use US $ to purchase items and pay for a meal? I will, of course, have credit cards with me, but there is always an extra charge from the CC company for each use. Thanks again!

Many of us have a Capital One Venture card. No extra charges and no conversion fees.

• 2 weeks later...

I had entered this under NCL boards but think I will get more responses from this one. We've booked our cruise on NCL Dawn on Oct 12th so we are planning to fly in to Quebec on Oct 11th hopefully in the morning. I've done a lot of research to try and find the nicest place for the most economical price. Since there are 3 of us it limits some of the places we would stay plus we needed a place with an elevator.....after reading reviews of B&B's where people were on the 3rd and 4th floor and no elevator we ruled alot of them out. I think we've narrowed our choices down to Hotel du Vieux Quebec and the Hotel Manoir Victoria. I've seen good reviews on both of them....and according to the map they are only .17 miles apart so location isn't an issue. The cost comes out to almost exactly even for the 2 places (approx. $280 including taxes). I'd love to hear suggestions that would help me make up our choice as I feel the need to get this part of the vacation booked as soon as I can. Thanks much

Yes we take US cash or C card's here in Canada.

There should not be an extra card for using your cc in Canada. At least we can use ours in the US. Europe and the rest of the world are another matter.

Of course you have to pay the exchange, but this may be less than what some businesses in Quebec charge.

• 2 months later...

Wine in Quebec is mostly sold in the state run stores called SAQ or Societé des alcools. ( not to be confused with the SAAQ that is the provincial car license and insurance bureau!) . You may find some wines in food stores and depanneurs, but not a big selection. There are three kind of SAQ: Express, small and less choice, Classique, the regular stores and Selection, the ones with even better wines. You will be in a french province, lots of wine lovers !

If the one at Chateau Frontenac is still there it would be THE one to go to. You will want to see the Chateau anyway so it is a two for one stop . Depending on how many bottles you buy, a cab ride back to the ship may be in order...

Here is the SAQ website : http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/RechercheSuccursale?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&country=CA&stateProvince=QC&city=Québec&latitude= 46.814453&longitude= -71.210515&transaction=search&searchQuantifier=AND&radius=4&zoomLevel=8&coderegion=031&pwidth=494&pheight=324&maxSearchResults=100&pageResults=20&units=km

Bienvenue au Québec et à Québec, santé !

Wine in Quebec is mostly sold in the state run stores called SAQ or Societé des alcools. ( not to be confused with the SAAQ that is the provincial car license and insurance bureau!) . You may find some wines in food stores and depanneurs, but not a big selection. There are three kind of SAQ: Express, small and less choice, Classique, the regular stores and Selection, the ones with even better wines. You will be in a french province, lots of wine lovers !

If the one at Chateau Frontenac is still there it would be THE one to go to. You will want to see the Chateau anyway so it is a two for one stop . Depending on how many bottles you buy, a cab ride back to the ship may be in order...

Here is the SAQ website : http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/RechercheSuccursale?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&country=CA&stateProvince=QC&city=Québec&latitude= 46.814453&longitude= -71.210515&transaction=search&searchQuantifier=AND&radius=4&zoomLevel=8&coderegion=031&pwidth=494&pheight=324&maxSearchResults=100&pageResults=20&units=km

Bienvenue au Québec et à Québec, santé !

Thank you, Sailingpeace! That's just what I wanted to know!:)

Thank you, Sailingpeace! That's just what I wanted to know!:)

You are welcome,you can check their web site to see if they have the wines you want , the prices and if they have it in stock.

Anything else you need to know about Quebec ?

Archived