Future Cruise Deposit

kevinyork

I had an issue with the way FCD is either applied or not applied depending how the P&O booking clerk is feeling when you phone! I referred my complaint direct to Carol Marlow and got my £100 refunded to my credit card. I made it plain that i had no intention of booking another P&O cruise, so there was no point in keeping it. I was surprised that they agreed to refund it, but i think even she felt guilty that i had 3 cruises cancelled by P&O and nothing in the way of compensation offered. I have just received the Carnival Corporation Annual Report so i am looking forward to reading how well P&O are performing!

The OBC you get depends on the length of the cruise you take using your FCD. 2-7 nights you get £25 each, 8-14 nights, £50, 15-21 nights £75 and 22+ nights, £100. So don't book a week's cruise expecting to get £100 OBC each!!! The FCD is usable with late deals and getaway offers but does not apply to net fares. Yes, you have to book within the 12 months of paying the deposit but you can travel after that time limit has expired. Hope this clears a few points up.

What constitutes a late deal, getaway offer and a net fare?

IC

According to my travel agent a net fare is one that is sold within the industry for a travel agent to build a package which is ultimately sold to the customer. Not many cruises are sold this way. A package is one where a cruise is added to another travel element (hotel, rail, air etc) and sold at ONE price.

A net fare is not sold to the public.

Some people seem to have been able use their FCD on getaway fares so the rules are not clear. The leaflet I have only mentions net fares

Brian

The OBC you get depends on the length of the cruise you take using your FCD. 2-7 nights you get £25 each, 8-14 nights, £50, 15-21 nights £75 and 22+ nights, £100. So don't book a week's cruise expecting to get £100 OBC each!!! The FCD is usable with late deals and getaway offers but does not apply to net fares. Yes, you have to book within the 12 months of paying the deposit but you can travel after that time limit has expired. Hope this clears a few points up.

As previously stated in an earlier post, we have booked 2 cruises at approx 8 weeks prior to cruising directly with P & O. Late deal not net fare as described by others.

We were not allowed to use FCD on either.

Wording on our letter:

This letter has been issued from the onboard sales department for a future cruise down-payment in the amount specified above. This future cruise down-payment may be used in respect of all cruises on the P & O brand, subject to the cruise of your choice being available, until the expiration date stated above. It can be combined with most published fares, however we ask you to confirm this with your preferred travel agent or P & O Cruises reservations on 0845 3 555 333. At the time of confirming your booking the appropriate onboard credit amount will be applied to your booking. Future cruise down-payments are non refundable, non transferable and must be used within 1 calendar year of the date of creation. Please note that this letter and the offers therein relate to the recipient only and not to any travelling companions. P & O Cruises standard booking conditions will apply. The relevant benefits will vary dependant on the cruise duration you use your future cruise down payment against and these are detailed above.

Not sure how to get in touch with Carol Marlow but will attempt to do so as we have been loyal cruisers for a few years.

Tom

Edited by Auld Reekie

For Auld Reekie.

Having been told we could not use our FCD for our next cruise my husband wrote again to P & O to say he accepted that we would not receive the promised onboard credit but we wanted our deposit allowed as OBC or our money back. We received a letter yesterday saying 'I am sorry that you are unhappy that the benefits cannot be applied to the above booking reference, the reason this cannot be done is due to the promotional offer that you have booked.' To me this implies that unless we book at brochure price we will never get the promised OBC. The letter goes on to say that we can't have our deposit money as OBC but they will refund it and cancel any reference to FCD. I had to phone and confirm that this was acceptable and when I did the woman I spoke to told me I couldn't have a refund. She wanted to extend the time that we had to choose and book another cruise. I told her I had this letter and to get on with arranging the refund. She says our deposit will be refunded to our credit card. I'll keep you informed.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to report that the future cruise deposit money was refunded to our credit account while we were away on our Ventura cruise. We spoke to the ladies on the FC booking desk and tried to clarify the rules. At the moment on Ventura you can pay a FCD and it will be valid on all cruises except those using Tesco clubcard vouchers. The letter they give you still says not to be used with net fares. She explained that a net fare is one where P & O find themselves with lots of unsold cabin for a particular cruise. They then sell these off to various travel agents for 'cost' price and then the agent sells them cheaply to fill the ship. Full cabins mean profit from onboard spend rather than fares, but it's still profit.

I didn't like the idea of FCD when I first heard of it. Lots of get outs, cruises you can't use it on. Also, if I had bought an FCD last year, I would have lost my money because there wasn't a P&O cruise that appealed and we are going with Fred. The bonus you get is very small and they have your money.

• 5 years later...

My Husband and i also paid a future cruise deposit of $100 each instead of the $1 deposit which was offered at the time in order to get double the on board credit. We were told that we had 2 years to choose a cruise and four years to take it and that when we found and booked the cruise that we would not have to pay any more deposit until the final payment was due, and would receive any extra specials that were offered in the cruise at time of booking. At the time we thought it was a good deal. When we found a cruise at a good price last week we decider to ring P&O and book. We were told that we would have to pay fully for the cruise up front. (The cruise we chose is not until October 2018) We decided that they can't change the rules after they have sold us the deal so we argued to get what was rightfully ours. We did not get double the onboard credit but it wasn't in writing on our copy so could not fight that one but when we questioned it at the time with the future cruise officer we were told it was on our records and not to worry about it. After much debating P&O honoured the deposit. I will not be caught again.