I don't plan to cruise on Splendor anymore because....

LucyR.

Somebody needs to give up on tacky Carnival ...and start cruising Crystal ;)

C_Symphony-119.jpg

It's so much better -and for about the same price! :D

"about the same price"- you've got to be kidding. Perhaps if you get the penthouse on CCL and a port hole on Crystal.

Somebody needs to give up on tacky Carnival ...and start cruising Crystal ;)

C_Symphony-119.jpg

It's so much better -and for about the same price! :D

You are right about the so much better, in fact there is no comparison, but you are wrong about the price.

I traveled on the Splendor November of 2011.

Overall, it was a very nice trip and the food was ok. We ate in the steakhouse 3 nights (almost did 4, but was just too full from eating so much). The steakhouse is higher quality food and the service was impeccable.

I didn't have a problem with the hot chocolate, but found the coffee to be nasty. Even the coffee you pay extra for wasn't much better. Of course, I am a coffee snob and usually drink Starbucks. I think it would be worthwhile to partner with Starbucks (or other well known brand) for the pay extra coffees.

The soft serve ice cream machines are hardly "real ice cream" with flecks of vanilla (to argue with a previously poster). They are likely a pre-mix either powder or liquid. I'd be surprised if they even had much dairy. So, I doubt the black dots were "vanilla bean". LOL.

I didn't find the sushi too appealing. But, then again my boyfriend if Japanese, so I'm a bit spoiled on that front. I did eat a few pieces, there isn't any raw fish, it's all cooked fish (nothing raw) rolls. Something like you'd find at your grocery store. There wasn't much emphasis on doing it right with the ginger, wasabi, soy sauce and chop sticks. My Japanese boyfriend wouldn't even try it. Sushi snob I know.

The 2 times we ate in the main dining room for anytime dining, it was less than pleasant. Had to wait in line a long time to get a beeper. Then had to wait another 45 minutes or so to get seated. Everything took forever and it was hard to customize or get extras (like ketchup, extra mayo), etc. for anything. I ordered a hamburger and ate it dry one night, because no one came back until desert. The servers were sweating and they worked their butts off. I felt sorry for them. Lunch and breakfast was a little better, but the menu is the same every day. The servers were also snooty in the morning (probably tired from late night partying!)

The food got progressively worse when you got to the buffet. I would say it compares to old country buffet. Some items were good like the proscuitto at breakfast, but it was hard to find. It didn't stop us from eating many $$ worth of it though. :-) The biggest pain with the buffet was the people! Like in the real world, buffets bring out the "best" in people. Hardly.

Despite this, my expectations were met, with all the food. I knew pretty much what I was going to get and that was what I got. And heck, I only spent $349 a person for the cruise for a week! I really can't complain (even though it easy to do, I'll admit). I was very pleased after the cruise and I'd do it again in a heart beat. I think it's unrealistic to expect all the food to lavish and expensive. I mean it's a cheapo cruise!!

Everything in the steakhouse was perfect though and everything cooked to perfection and sauces and extras a plenty. Even the double gin and tonic seemed better! LOL.

Also, the year prior I went on Mariner of the Seas (RC) and found the steakhouse and main dining room to be a similiar quality of food and experience as the Splendor. However, I'd say the Mariner buffet was a bit higher quality food, but not much.

I believe them. We got off the Splendor yesterday and in 30 cruises, this is the first time I did NOT gain any weight!

Splendor / Conquest / Fantasy / etc - the names may be different within the fleet, but the concerns, issues, and complaints are the same. One shouldn't have to "lower expectations" in order to have a have a wonderful cruise vacation.

I didn't find the sushi too appealing. But, then again my boyfriend if Japanese, so I'm a bit spoiled on that front. I did eat a few pieces, there isn't any raw fish, it's all cooked fish (nothing raw) rolls. Something like you'd find at your grocery store. There wasn't much emphasis on doing it right with the ginger, wasabi, soy sauce and chop sticks. My Japanese boyfriend wouldn't even try it. Sushi snob I know.

With your boyfriend from Japan, then you would know the difference between sushi (partially cooked seafood) and sashimi (completely raw seafood). On the ship they serve sushi. Of course none of its going to be raw :rolleyes:

With regards to the coffee, I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I'm almost positive that they serve Seattle's Best on board at the coffee bar. Starbucks is far from gourmet coffee as well, lol.

With your boyfriend from Japan, then you would know the difference between sushi (partially cooked seafood) and sashimi (completely raw seafood). On the ship they serve sushi. Of course none of its going to be raw :rolleyes:

With regards to the coffee, I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I'm almost positive that they serve Seattle's Best on board at the coffee bar. Starbucks is far from gourmet coffee as well, lol.

I checked with my Japanese boyfriend and here's what he said:

There are many different kinds of sushi. Some which have cooked fish and some which are raw. The can also have egg or other items that are cooked or raw.

Sashimi is raw slices of fish served on a plate that you dip in shoyu.

Sushi is a small compact easy to eat item with rice. It can be a roll and or nigiri sushi (the ball of rice with fish on top -- raw or cooked.)

He's the real deal Japanese, I don't think we can argue with him.

He said to check wikipedia.

There are many different kinds of sushi. Some which have cooked fish and some which are raw. The can also have egg or other items that are cooked or raw.

Sushi is a small compact easy to eat item with rice. It can be a roll and or nigiri sushi (the ball of rice with fish on top -- raw or cooked.)

Why would you expect anything on a ship such as sushi to be as good as you can find somewhere in Japan? My best friend is French. If she want's French food, she knows it's not going to be as good as places in France in the States or in Canada where she currently lives. Just like you probably would not find a good burger in Japan. You are comparing apples to oranges here. Any cuisine that is not made in the native country is not going to taste as good, just like what we call Mexican food here is not really Mexican food.

Why would you expect anything on a ship such as sushi to be as good as you can find somewhere in Japan? My best friend is French. If she want's French food, she knows it's not going to be as good as places in France in the States or in Canada where she currently lives. Just like you probably would not find a good burger in Japan. You are comparing apples to oranges here. Any cuisine that is not made in the native country is not going to taste as good, just like what we call Mexican food here is not really Mexican food.

Wow! Calm down. Deep breaths. Relax. I don't think I was expecting it to be as good as Japan, never said that. I was just stating that there wasn't any raw sushi available (which I would have liked) and that it was mediocre store quality at best. Given the typically high quality of Carnival Cruise lines, I felt they fell a bit short on the sushi.

Wow! Calm down. Deep breaths. Relax. I don't think I was expecting it to be as good as Japan, never said that. I was just stating that there wasn't any raw sushi available (which I would have liked) and that it was mediocre store quality at best. Given the typically high quality of Carnival Cruise lines, I felt they fell a bit short on the sushi.

As someone from mexico the mexican food is actually better in Texas, sorry but true. Meant to quote hermitstyle.

Edited by repo-cruiser

I traveled on the Splendor November of 2011.

Overall, it was a very nice trip and the food was ok. We ate in the steakhouse 3 nights (almost did 4, but was just too full from eating so much). The steakhouse is higher quality food and the service was impeccable.

I didn't have a problem with the hot chocolate, but found the coffee to be nasty. Even the coffee you pay extra for wasn't much better. Of course, I am a coffee snob and usually drink Starbucks. I think it would be worthwhile to partner with Starbucks (or other well known brand) for the pay extra coffees.

The soft serve ice cream machines are hardly "real ice cream" with flecks of vanilla (to argue with a previously poster). They are likely a pre-mix either powder or liquid. I'd be surprised if they even had much dairy. So, I doubt the black dots were "vanilla bean". LOL. They want to regulate your body with healthcare and now they want to regulate what you eat, what car you drive and soon what vacation you can take.

The 2 times we ate in the main dining room for anytime dining, it was less than pleasant. Had to wait in line a long time to get a beeper. Then had to wait another 45 minutes or so to get seated. Everything took forever and it was hard to customize or get extras (like ketchup, extra mayo), etc. for anything. I ordered a hamburger and ate it dry one night, because no one came back until desert. The servers were sweating and they worked their butts off. I felt sorry for them. Lunch and breakfast was a little better, but the menu is the same every day. The servers were also snooty in the morning (probably tired from late night partying!)

The food got progressively worse when you got to the buffet. I would say it compares to old country buffet. Some items were good like the proscuitto at breakfast, but it was hard to find. It didn't stop us from eating many $$ worth of it though. :-) The biggest pain with the buffet was the people! Like in the real world, buffets bring out the "best" in people. Hardly.

Despite this, my expectations were met, with all the food. I knew pretty much what I was going to get and that was what I got. And heck, I only spent $349 a person for the cruise for a week! I really can't complain (even though it easy to do, I'll admit). I was very pleased after the cruise and I'd do it again in a heart beat. I think it's unrealistic to expect all the food to lavish and expensive. I mean it's a cheapo cruise!!

Everything in the steakhouse was perfect though and everything cooked to perfection and sauces and extras a plenty. Even the double gin and tonic seemed better! LOL.

Also, the year prior I went on Mariner of the Seas (RC) and found the steakhouse and main dining room to be a similiar quality of food and experience as the Splendor. However, I'd say the Mariner buffet was a bit higher quality food, but not much.

Anything raw including fish is horrible for your internal organs ,you'll pay later in life, but hey maybe the us gov't will tell you what you can eat and can't eat.;) They will regulate that for you just like the car you drive, what doctor you can see and what vacation you can take

Edited by repo-cruiser

As someone from mexico the mexican food is actually better in Texas, sorry but true.

Man I miss the food in El Paso. So good!

I have to say that the food on the Splendor was the worst that we had on any ship. We cruised on her about 2 years ago. I was hoping it was just a fluke. It was the only cruise where we were disappointed in the food. However, it was not due to anything being spoiled, just not really prepared well.

Yep, she's right. Sashimi is ALWAYS raw but that does not exclude sushi from also having raw fish in some of their offerings. I know, I eat sushi and sashimi almost weekly.

I got off Splendor yesterday as well and would probably not go again, however for totally different reasons. I didn't notice anything you mentioned.

Though the food was not great, I loved the hot chocolate and did not get sick eating sushi the last night. My husband liked the Ruben sandwiches and said his steaks were too well done. The only bad food I noticed was the bananas browned really quickly and I was disappointed in the oranges, they weren't juicy in my opinion. The popcorn tasted like it had been made a month beforehand *yuck*. Other than that the food ranged from ok at the buffet to really good in the steakhouse.

The security hardly glanced at my bag at the ports. Funny how different our opinions are here. I was a bit upset that they didn't seem to be checking anything, while you are irritated that they checked too much.

I still plan to cruise but not on the Splendor because the food and service has gone downhill. I paid $997. for solo me for this cruise and it is not worth it to me if I am getting lousy service and lousy food.

Hot chocolate does have powdered dry milk in the coco mix. When I tasted the hot chocolate it was in the evening when the workers were not around to complain to so I waited until the next morning to complain.

Some of you said that it doesn't have milk...does it just have water? Duh!

I decided to try again to get some hot chocolate the next afternoon and

the machine mostly put water in the cup so I complained. The worker just had to bang the machine to make it work normal. The coco mix still didn't taste normal to me so I decided to stay away from it. It must have been old coco mix with rancid dry milk.

No I didn't have to see the expiration date to know that the coco mix was spoiled. "DUH"! The taste was so bad I had to spit it out right away

and rinse my mouth.

Vanilla beans have brown spots and not black flecks. I could see the difference. I could tell there was something wrong with it.

All of the waiters were trying their best to serve us all as best as they could but my main complain is that they have to serve too many people

and they did make a lot of mistakes like forgetting to give some of the

people their food at our table.

When I got served the prime rib dinner the waiter never came back to see if everything was okay. I waited and waited until almost everybody at my table had almost finished eating their food. I had to get up and search for my waiter to talk to my waiter about the mistake.

I decided to choose a different item instead of the prime rib because they never gave the other diner horseradish or sour cream for their dinner.

I knew they were not going to provide that for my prime rib unless I would ask for it and have to wait for it until they would bring it to my table. The waiters were really busy serving too many people at dinner time. I don't blame them I blame the cruiseline for not providing enough

waiters and assistant waiters like they used to have years ago.

I have been cruising since 1973.... so I do know the difference in service.

I used to enjoy cruising on the Splendor but now I plan to try other ships.

I do like the Carnival ships the best because I have a lot of fun on them.

I plan to cruise on the Carnival Imagination soon. I have cruised on it

in 1999. I have cruised 25 times on different Carnival ships. I am a Platinum VIP on Carnival.

I think it is really funny how some of you look for petty things to say about what I have posted. It's like blame the victim. Blame me because the food was spoiled? It was also funny when someone said that it could have been the meat and not the dressing that was spoiled in the Ruben sandwich.lol. Does that really make a difference in what I experienced?

A spoiled sandwich is a spoiled sandwich nomatter what is wrong with it.

I want to thank the people who agreed with me that the food has gone downhill. Even the hamburgers didn't have any flavor. I used to love to

eat the hamburgers... but not anymore.

I forgot to mention that they took my portable battery small fan out of my luggage and they didn't leave a letter in my luggage informing me to pick it up on disembarkation day. They just left the torn plastic bag in my luggage. I did tell the front desk about it. They were upset that I didn't get a letter in my luggage. They wrote down the complaint.

I really did have a lot of fun on the ship and gave it a high rating on the fun I had on the ship and a low rating on the food on my cruise review.

Everybody has their own experiences. I had my own experiences that I have written about. Other people on the same cruise had a wonderful time and loved the food with no problems. I am not advising people to stop cruising on the Splendor. I am just saying that Splendor is nolonger on my list of ships to cruise on. LucyR.

"I am not the type to complain unless it is a real serious problem."

but you did not list anything that was a serious problem. Real vanilla ice cream has black specks. A real Rueben has sauerkraut (the sour taste). Your prime rib wasn't cooked to your liking, they will fix anthing, just ask. I see no serious problems.

You've got to be kidding? Where on Carnival did you see real vanilla ice cream in the soft ice cream machine.

And they will fix anything, if .... you are willing to spend 2 hours or more in MDR.

LucyR,

Do not let the "attack dogs" on here get to you. You voiced your opinion/your experience and that is just fine.

As for reviews/comments about ANYTHING (not just cruising) I have always looked at it that if there is a pattern of bad reviews/complaints about any one sector, than in all probability those complaints are well founded. As an example, on our recent 28-day Panama Canal cruise aboard the Holland America "Statendam", we read many rave reviews about the ship and/or HAL reknowned service. The only common complaint seemed to be air-conditioning/plumbing issues and sure enough, we experienced both problems in our stateroom.

The difference is how the cruiselines handle legitimate complaints. With Holland America, the Hotel Manager on board got involved with our issue from Day 1 and immediately resolved the issue to our complete satisfaction. On the Splendor last week, it took us 3 days to set up a meeting with the Hotel Director, Duncan Puttock, that's like half-way thru the cruise and up till the last night, the issues we brought up were not even close to being resolved.

I probably won't sail the Splendor again because I got tired of PINK. Other than that we had a nice cruise. But it certainly was PINK.[/QUOte

Same here; if we had more choices on the West Coast, Splendor would be last on my list. That being said, to save airfare I would sail her again. The only thing appealing about the lobby area is the fact it is on a cruise ship.

You are right about the so much better, in fact there is no comparison, but you are wrong about the price.
Glad to see my photo and response received so many responses in turn. ;)

Of course by now you've all figured out my sarcastic tongue-in-cheek comment about the price "being the same".

My point to The Princess on 'slummy' Carnival was.. that she got what she paid for

and if she simply must have Princess-style service etc. then she'd better fork out some serious moolah to get it.

Perhaps Silversea or Yachts of Seabourn would suit Madam better

-at prices no more than maybe 5% more than a Carnival cruise. :D

Hmmm, hardly the same price and I like to relax on our cruises, not dress is stuffy clothes and ballroom dance - YIKES!

"about the same price"- you've got to be kidding. Perhaps if you get the penthouse on CCL and a port hole on Crystal.

I do believe this was sarcasm folks.

Are you kidding? You obviously have to clue as to what sushi/nigiri/sashimi is. There are plenty of sushi/maki that have raw fish. On the ships most is cooked or at least cured, although the salmon nigiri is raw.

I still plan to cruise but not on the Splendor because the food and service has gone downhill. I paid $997. for solo me for this cruise and it is not worth it to me if I am getting lousy service and lousy food.

Hot chocolate does have powdered dry milk in the coco mix. When I tasted the hot chocolate it was in the evening when the workers were not around to complain to so I waited until the next morning to complain.

Some of you said that it doesn't have milk...does it just have water? Duh!

I decided to try again to get some hot chocolate the next afternoon and

the machine mostly put water in the cup so I complained. The worker just had to bang the machine to make it work normal. The coco mix still didn't taste normal to me so I decided to stay away from it. It must have been old coco mix with rancid dry milk.

No I didn't have to see the expiration date to know that the coco mix was spoiled. "DUH"! The taste was so bad I had to spit it out right away

and rinse my mouth.

Vanilla beans have brown spots and not black flecks. I could see the difference. I could tell there was something wrong with it.

All of the waiters were trying their best to serve us all as best as they could but my main complain is that they have to serve too many people

and they did make a lot of mistakes like forgetting to give some of the

people their food at our table.

When I got served the prime rib dinner the waiter never came back to see if everything was okay. I waited and waited until almost everybody at my table had almost finished eating their food. I had to get up and search for my waiter to talk to my waiter about the mistake.

I decided to choose a different item instead of the prime rib because they never gave the other diner horseradish or sour cream for their dinner.

I knew they were not going to provide that for my prime rib unless I would ask for it and have to wait for it until they would bring it to my table. The waiters were really busy serving too many people at dinner time. I don't blame them I blame the cruiseline for not providing enough

waiters and assistant waiters like they used to have years ago.

I have been cruising since 1973.... so I do know the difference in service.

I used to enjoy cruising on the Splendor but now I plan to try other ships.

I do like the Carnival ships the best because I have a lot of fun on them.

I plan to cruise on the Carnival Imagination soon. I have cruised on it

in 1999. I have cruised 25 times on different Carnival ships. I am a Platinum VIP on Carnival.

I think it is really funny how some of you look for petty things to say about what I have posted. It's like blame the victim. Blame me because the food was spoiled? It was also funny when someone said that it could have been the meat and not the dressing that was spoiled in the Ruben sandwich.lol. Does that really make a difference in what I experienced?

A spoiled sandwich is a spoiled sandwich nomatter what is wrong with it.

I want to thank the people who agreed with me that the food has gone downhill. Even the hamburgers didn't have any flavor. I used to love to

eat the hamburgers... but not anymore.

I forgot to mention that they took my portable battery small fan out of my luggage and they didn't leave a letter in my luggage informing me to pick it up on disembarkation day. They just left the torn plastic bag in my luggage. I did tell the front desk about it. They were upset that I didn't get a letter in my luggage. They wrote down the complaint.

I really did have a lot of fun on the ship and gave it a high rating on the fun I had on the ship and a low rating on the food on my cruise review.

Everybody has their own experiences. I had my own experiences that I have written about. Other people on the same cruise had a wonderful time and loved the food with no problems. I am not advising people to stop cruising on the Splendor. I am just saying that Splendor is nolonger on my list of ships to cruise on. LucyR.

.......well at least you're not one to complain:rolleyes:

We just got off the Freedom on Sunday, and I agree that the food and dining room service is not the same as it used to be. But then, the prices are lower too so "you get what you pay for."

We have one more Carnival cruise coming up, a year from now, but after that we are thinking of trying an all-inclusive style vacation instead of a cruise.

Our dining room experience (we had early seating) was not as good as it used to be. The servers seemed very rushed and overwhelmed. I think they had too many tables to try and take care of all at once. The food was fine, but the service was very slow. And of course they had no time for talking, or posing for pictures that last night. I didn't have the nerve to ask them, as they were already rushing here and there and trying to keep everyone happy.

I asked for lemons for my water the first night and got them right away. On other cruises something I asked for the first night would automatically be on the table each night after. Not this time. I had to ask again the second night, didn't get them for a long time so asked again and finally got them. After that I stopped asking and just drank it without lemons. :(

The buffet wasn't as good as it used to be either. But then again I know, "you get what you pay for." Maybe going for the cheapest cruise isn't the best thing...

Room service was great. I enjoyed my smoked salmon and cream cheese, croissant with butter and guava jelly, and fresh fruit, with coffee and tomato juice on my balcony each morning. It always came at the specified time. That is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise, have breakfast on the balcony.

We didn't encounter any spoiled food. My husband took the Behind the Fun tour and they stressed how careful they are with food preparation and cleanliness, and the Freedom has gotten excellent ratings for it. I can understand your frustration with encountering that problem several times on your Splendor cruise though, I would hate that too.

I'm glad you were able to have fun on your cruise, but sorry you had some issues that made it less enjoyable.