More on Food!

jakes47

Hawaiidan,

I do have to say (and I stress that I don't tend to take any food off the ship) that places like Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia ban any food being taken off. California probably says the same.

I had a long discussion in Melbourne when I wanted to take some CATNIP to a friend. I reported it to customs so no sneakiness was involved, but the customs agent I spoke to when we left the ship had no clue what catnip is. He finally just waved me on. But I was aware before we went to Australia that catnip sent by mail is often banned, and therefore I was careful to report it.

But not all ports say you can't take food off the ship. And as I said earlier, Oceania USED to let you get a box lunch to use on shore. Now they don't but we're not really sure of the real reason. Afraid someone might get sick from mayo on a sandwich? Don't want to bother? Something else?

When I'm in a situation where I think I won't be able to have lunch on shore -- maybe we have a tour, maybe we will be busy on shore and get back too late for a burger at Waves ... then I don't mind taking a piece or two of fruit and perhaps a sandwich from room service.

But I won't do that in a port that bans food being taken off the ship!

As I've said earlier, I personally would prefer to go into a casual restaurant or cafe and get a quick lunch on shore. But if we have a guide who stresses that we should bring food with us on our tour, that is what I will do!

It's just not the case that most ports ban food being taken off the ship. (Or at least that is my understanding. Tell me I'm wrong and I'll tell the guide next August that we have to buy our meals on shore!)

Mura

In addition to what Mura posted above, there are other circumstances where taking some food on a tour is a good idea (for me and perhaps others as well), provided that it is legal.

There may be a tour (even with Oceania) where lunch is included. If this tour is, for example, in India, Sri Lanka, Egypt and some other such places, chances are excellent I will not find much, if anything, to eat (even if I trust the hygiene of the kitchen). I know this is not true for most people but it is true for me.

Taking any food stuff including fruit, any thing not pre packeged is highly not legal. You also cant bring any food on the ship either!

Think health and safety:o

Here in Hawaii it will get you up to a $10,000 fine and 6 mos in jail.

There are many ports around the world where this is a very wrong very illeagle, not just bad thing to do.

I an stunned that Oceaiana passengers would show suck a low level of crass manners.:eek:

Hawaiidan

Rest assured that I only put this question out there so I could prepare for my own health requirements during our 20 nights on board the Marina. Any talk of zip lock bags was said with tongue in cheek.

You will also be pleased to know that the shopping bag and production line ladies I had the misfortune of witnessing on our previous cruise was not on Oceania or any of the cruise line you have sailed on – so rest easy.

Good point about customs regulations on food though – I will have to watch for that.

Yes, you have completely changed my mind about taking food off the ship.

My mistake was in thinking that doing so was akin to surrrepticiously removing food from a buffet restaurant on land. There is of course, absolutely no comparison.

The former is déclassé, crass and possibly illegal; the latter a brilliant money saving maneuver that just might stave off starvation, or worse low blood sugar, in such blighted areas as London, Paris and Rome, where Oceania quality food is seldom if ever available for purchase.

Unfortunately, taking that food "to which we are entitled" might have sudden, sometimes unexpected consequences. Therefore, a corresponding amount of toilet tissue must also be "liberated" with a clear conscience. :p

LOL!!!

I always have a supply of toilet tissue in my handbag – usually bought but if necessary "liberated". I will keep in the zip lock bag next to my "liberated" breakfast muffin.

You never know when you will be caught without in a foreign country! :D

Don't think this hasn't crossed my mind. I am short, thin, but low blood sugar and need to eat small meals more frequently. When I looked at breakfast to see what I could take with me, there wasn't much. Foods either needed to be kept cold, were messy, or needed to be consumed hot. Too many carbs wouldn't work.

So I bring some protein bars and small bags of nuts with me in my luggage. Boring but it meets my needs.

I think this the way to go! . I will have to check with Italian customs regulations or hunt some down in Venice before we board.

We always pack a box of fiber bars in our carry on. Sure helps when there are airport delays, etc. We also make sure we have one in our camera bag on tour days just in case we get hungry. We have rarely encountered rules forbidding prepackaged foods being take ashore but at least on Oceania there is always a note in the daily program if it is forbidden. Actually one of the most strict areas we have encountered is Alaska.

By the way if you check at Target, Walmart, etc. in the travel section they sell prepackaged packs of TP, etc. Makes it easier than trying to create your own as they are compressed and sealed.

We always carry TP, hand wipes, eyeglass cleaners, etc.

, food that is not consumed from the buffet and not touched, is very often given to the crew for their meals, which is a wonderful thing to do....why waste the good food by throwing it when others may partake.

I doubt that is the case but we all have dreams

Having the crew, especially those working in the restaurants, which almost seems to include everyone, taste the food the passengers eat is good policy as then they can discuss it intelligently when taking orders and make recommendations.

Land based restaurants, and I have worked in a few through college, allow employees to order off the menu on their dinner break so they are familiar with the food. We also had to taste any new dishes placed on the menu. If wine is sent back by a customer it is also tasted for education by the wine servers.

J&S,

I don't like to disagree with you but I will this time.

I don't think it's a "criminal" offense if someone makes a sandwich at breakfast to eat at lunchtime while ashore touring.

First - all the food on the ship has to be consumed or thrown away, if spoiled. We all know how much "leftover" food is wasted and discarded. There is no limit to how much food any one person can/is entitled to consume - it is their choice.

Some people will have 5 or 6 helpings of food at breakfast (cold cuts with bread, eggs with bacon, pancakes, a muffin or croissant with butter and jam, a danish, a bowl of fruit, etc, etc.).

Others may only have a bowl of cereal. Are you going to accuse the former of " wrong-doing" or charge that person more for their cruise? It's everyone's choice how much or how little they eat (at any meal) and should be no one else's concern.

If someone makes a sandwich for lunch to be eaten later, it will not deprive anyone else on the ship of food.

Second - if the person who made the sandwich for lunch to be consumed onshore because they want to spend as much sightseeing as they can (or because they don't trust local hygiene), they will not be onboard for their "entitled" lunch,which would probably be a lot more food than a sandwich.

Now, I know that many people do not wish to do this and enjoy local food onshore; but if someone chooses to take a sandwich instead, I have no problem with that. It's really no different in principle from taking a small plate of food ( pastries, for example) to your cabin to be consumed later.

If it is against the local laws and regulations to take food onshore, that's a different matter.

JMO :)

As was pointed out doing what you suggest is the same as bagging extra food to go at a terrestrial buffet. Further in some ports it is very much illegal to bring certain foods off the ship. Id rather get food ashore than get caught and spend my time on land paying off fines for bringing contraband into a foreign country.

As was pointed out doing what you suggest is the same as bagging extra food to go at a terrestrial buffet. Further in some ports it is very much illegal to bring certain foods off the ship. .

Legal issues aside (where i agree with you), I beg to differ.

On land you only paid for your dinner and the food you can consume at dinner in the restaurant.

On the cruise you have paid for food for the entire cruise without any limits on how much you consume and when you do it (like in the middle of the night, if you wish). I am not advocating packing a cooler, just taking a piece of fruit or a small sandwich (where allowed); not on a regular basis but as needed, depending on that particular port and your activities for the day.

There is a substantial difference between a landside buffet and a cruise, IMO.

However, you are entitled to your opinion.

Various people seem to be equating taking food off the ship in any port as being the same as taking food off the ship in a port where it clearly is illegal -- such as New Zealand or Australia.

As someone who is willing to take a small amount of food off the ship in our Black Sea ports where our guide has asked us to do so -- of course I wouldn't do so if we're told it's illegal! And Oceania has always been very clear about the ports where we are not to take food on shore on our cruises.

Some people have objected to observing people just piling the food into ziplocs or even coolers, and I agree that is beyond excessive. Others seem to object if you take ANYTHING off the ship because in some ports this is illegal.

There IS a middle ground.

I speak as someone who would really prefer to go into a local restaurant and try their fare. It doesn't have to be fancy, I'd prefer it not be expensive. But in the interest of time, sometimes it's best to take a small amount of food with you -- a piece of fruit, a sandwich, nothing fancy. If it's fancy, it's not worth hauling around as far as *I* am concerned.

A lot of us are talking apples and oranges, I think.

Mura

I have low blood sugar as well, so I keep one of those "complete liquid meals" in a tetra pack in my purse. If you carry nuts or protein bars you need a water bottle as well - plus a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss because that kind of thing sticks to your teeth like crazy.:p

It's too bad you can't carry them on a plane, but our check-in bags will contain several for excursions.

Archived