Crown princess steaming home!

6pack

We were all concerned last Saturday after watching the extensive cleaning and the resulting delay. One wonders if part of the problem is from the increased amount of BTB cruisers who may have contracted Noro and didn't report and moved around the ship or had just got it at the very end of the voyage and got back on board with Noro.

Obviously the crew was severely involved and the ship can't function.

Here's hoping that the nearly 3 days in port with complete disenfecting and healthy crew will get the ship back on track - in plenty of time for our voyage (he said selfishly).

I seriously hope for the best to all on board the Crown.

Unfortunately, I can see the media taking this and turning it into something ugly and ominous sounding. And there will be the disgruntled PAX who will talk to the media and/or post on FaceBook, and make Princess out to be the bad guy. I foresee a publicity nightmare for Princess and CCL again.

Yeah, stuff happens like that with the current media who doesn't check facts - it's all about the sensational story.

The Noro problem is not the fault of Princess. They appear to be handling this in a responsible manner.

I think we will stay in Ft Lauderdale for 2 nights and get back on for the Western Cruise. I'm hopeful they will have the ship totally disinfected as they have 48 hours to accomplish this. I don't believe this outbreak can be tied to Princess at all. I have never seen so many crew cleaning (all the time!) My ask to everyone boarding on Saturday; if you're sick DO NOT BOARD the Ship!!! Both of us wash and sanitize our hands all the time - we feel fine :) I'm not going to let this incident ruin my cruise. As I always say, a bad day at sea is better than any day in the office!!

Hopefully we will be sailing with you on the 11th!! Would you please keep us updated either here or in the rollcall. I know we would all appreciate it. Sorry this is happening but glad to hear you are handling it with an open mind. Looking forward to meeting at the M&G. Stay healthy!!!

Maybe this ship needs to cancel a sailing or two so the crew and other employees can get rid of the virus and do a very deep cleaning of the ship.
Princess brings an outside company in to assist with the deep cleaning. An extra two full days should be sufficient to clean the ship. It's the human factor that's less controllable. Unfortunately, people don't report being sick, don't abide by the request to remain in their cabins while sick, or board either knowingly or unknowingly that they're sick.

I wonder if they'll bring additional crew onboard and make sure the current crew who are sick are isolated until no longer infectious.

Maybe this ship needs to cancel a sailing or two so the crew and other employees can get rid of the virus and do a very deep cleaning of the ship.

Well, if what has been reported here is true (that the CDC recommended last Saturday that the ship NOT sail for a few days) perhaps Princess should have followed that recommendation. It sounds as though the current situation would prove the CDC right. Not to bash Princess, but maybe they did not know best this time.

Karen

This NORO thing has plagued the CROWN for many weeks Maybes they should have an open si\nk and force everyone to wash hands thoroughly before boarding Perhaps that could control this spreading

I feel bad for pax on their yearly vacation BUMMer I hope this time after ckleaning the problem will be solved

For pax ONLY use your facilities Wash hands many times Use Lysol wipes before you touch anything in the cabin including phone remote and all handles

:eek: I am so sorry to hear about this. DH and I disembarked the Crown on Saturday and feel strongly that there were many more sick passengers than were reported. It's possible that many crew members hadn't manifested symptoms yet but were already infected by the virus.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone onboard. Be well.

Chris

Sorry this is happening the staff is wiping and cleaning everything but heres my thought it is in the HVAC system and working in that trade they rarely get cleaned because it hard to get to.

That's not the problem, because it's not airborne. It can only be transferred by direct contact, which means infected people are touching surfaces that are then touched by others, and then it spreads. Cleaning the HVAC shouldn't make a difference.

I am so sorry for all involved. It's disappointing for the pax and costly for Princess.

Thanks, flamomo, for the update on the ship's position. I read that they had missed Princess Cays, and wonder if the ship ever docked at a port?

My thinking is that during noro season a balcony cabin to stay somewhat isolated on sea days just became a better value than ever. We have always preferred to spend sea days on our own balcony, reading, eating, relaxing, and now it seems it is also a way to help avoid illness.

I am so sorry for all involved. It's disappointing for the pax and costly for Princess.

Thanks, flamomo, for the update on the ship's position. I read that they had missed Princess Cays, and wonder if the ship ever docked at a port?

My thinking is that during noro season a balcony cabin to stay somewhat isolated on sea days just became a better value than ever. We have always preferred to spend sea days on our own balcony, reading, eating, relaxing, and now it seems it is also a way to help avoid illness.

They are doing the same itinerary that we did last week. The Crown would have been scheduled for arrival in Curacao at 1:00PM today. Aruba on Wednesday followed by two days at sea en route to Fort Lauderdale.

Chris

Princess brings an outside company in to assist with the deep cleaning. An extra two full days should be sufficient to clean the ship. It's the human factor that's less controllable. Unfortunately, people don't report being sick, don't abide by the request to remain in their cabins while sick, or board either knowingly or unknowingly that they're sick.

I wonder if they'll bring additional crew onboard and make sure the current crew who are sick are isolated until no longer infectious.

I totally agree Pam. That would be the prudent thing to do. Looks costly to do but they can't afford to keep canceling voyages and the bad press that, unfortunately, results.

This is the most likely scenario. As noted elsewhere, the virus can be shed for some time even after symptoms stop, so people who think they are 'past it' go out and become a 'Noro Mary' again. It's a vicious cycle.

:eek: I am so sorry to hear about this. DH and I disembarked the Crown on Saturday and feel strongly that there were many more sick passengers than were reported. It's possible that many crew members hadn't manifested symptoms yet but were already infected by the virus.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone onboard. Be well.

Chris

OMG...reminds me that several years ago there was a Celebrity ship (an old one no longer in service for Celebrity) based in Charleston, SC that had a similar continued outbreak of noro that they just couldnt get rid of...they delayed at least two sailings, brought one sailing back early as they are doing with the Crown and I think cancelled one..some of our neighbors sailed on it it since it was only two hours from where we live and both ended up contracting noro and got very ill and receiving I think a pretty big refund...DH contracted noro several years on the Island...it is miserable but the situation was handled well by Princess...

Correction: this sailing skipped Princess Cays and they told passengers they would dock in Curacao as early as 9am (rather than 1pm as normal) instead. However, it sounds like they never even made it to Curacao and are turning around right away, so it's a cruise to nowhere!

Very upsetting for those onboard, hope you are all staying as safe and healthy as possible!

Just a few weeks ago, a school district in mid-Michigan (Mt. Pleasant) closed due to an outbreak of Norovirus. Administrators, teachers, staff, students were afflicted by the illness that had infiltrated every district facility. The school district closed for the remainder of that week so that the buildings could undergo major sanitizing and everyone could recover from the virus.

In hindsight, Princess probably should have canceled this sailing of the Crown while the ship continues to be plagued by Noro. jmo

Chris

Here is the current CDC report for Crown Princess:

Number of passengers reported to medical center approx. 364 out of 3103.

Number of crew who have reported ill approx. 32 out of 1168.

Causative agent: unknown

This was for sail date January 28- Feb. 4th.

I am sure there will be a new report posted soon for Feb. 4th sail date.

I see from other posts that The Crown is heading back to FL, early.

(Princess says Feb. 4th cruise has 55 passengers that have reported to medical center out of 3,078. 56 crew members have reported ill out of 1,178.)

Wow,not a fun cruise for most.

Here is the current CDC report for Crown Princess:

Number of passengers reported to medical center approx. 364 out of 3103.

Number of crew who have reported ill approx. 32 out of 1168.

Causative agent: unknown

This was for sail date January 28- Feb. 4th.

I am sure there will be a new report posted soon for Feb. 4th sail date.

I see from other posts that The Crown is heading back to FL, early.

The Princess press release already includes numbers for the current sailing:

"On the current sailing 55 passengers (1.79% out of 3,078) and 56 crew (4.75% of 1,178) have reported gastrointestinal illness. On the previous cruise, 364 passengers (11.73% of 3,103) and 30 crew (2.57% of 1,168) were affected."

"On the current sailing 55 passengers (1.79% out of 3,078) and 56 crew (4.75% of 1,178) have reported gastrointestinal illness. On the previous cruise, 364 passengers (11.73% of 3,103) and 30 crew (2.57% of 1,168) were affected."

With the increase in crew getting sick, I would think they would have a hard time containing this. Do they quarantine the crew to their cabins? What if they share a cabin with someone that isn't sick but might be getting exposed because they share a cabin with someone sick?

Hi There

Very sorry for all those folks that had waited months or years for a cruise for this to happen to them,

just think about all the first time cruisers onboard will they cruise again,

Princess has done the right thing in trying to get this bug off there ship.

Looking at the numbers I think it was the number of crew affected that

made them take this action, if any more had become ill the ship

would get to the point taht it can not service the passengers needs

but also maintain crew levels for safety.

Princess appears to be offeringa fair level of compensation to those on the cruise.

yours Shogun

If they are heading back with those numbers they expect it to balloon I expect. The crew number is high but the passenger number is well within acceptable range (unless you are those passengers)

Archived