london underground help

tucker1865

When using the tube, is there anyone in the tube stations who can provide help if needed about which lines to take or do you need to figure these out before setting out for the day. Thanks

we got help from our hotel before setting out each day, but also got help in the stations from people working in them.

I still managed to get us "lost" - totally my fault, not the fault of the directions, and as soon as the first station we got to wasn't the one I expected we got off and got directions in that station for where we were supposed to go.

Then, on our way back I verified with someone else that we were going back the correct way. So, I don't know if there is someone in every station, but we found people available whenever we needed to.

Its ideal to figure it in advance, but no big deal once you get the hang of it. Venues, including sights, hotels, museums, theatres, etc normally quote their nearest tube station on their websites, leaflets etc.

Buy a tourist map of central London, it will show the sights and the tube stations. It will probably also have a tube map on the back, or get a tube map from your hotel. The tube map is great for navigating the system but to make it easy to see the routes & stations it's schematic & not to scale, so above-ground use only the tourist map.

There's often a choice of tube routes between A & B, unless you are disabled its no big deal which route you take.

Entering the station, you need to look for the line that you want (all named & colour-coded) and the end-station so that you take the line in the right direction :rolleyes:

Usually both directions of a tube line operate from opposite sides of the same platform, approaching the platform will be lists of stations served on each side.

Plenty of large tube maps displayed at the stations, and on each train its route & stations are repeated all the way down each carriage above the windows.

There's plenty of folk willing to help, but I doubt you'll need even a confirmation nod from a fellow-passenger on the platform.

Yes, you'll likely go wrong a time or two, but no harm done.

Sad to say it, but be wary of folk who approach you to offer help.

99% of them are being helpful, but .......

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

JB :)

Thanks to eeryone who responded. JB you should be gertting paid, by the government, for your help to everyone. Guess My wife should get a free smart phone and then we can use google maps. Dave

Anything John Bull says is legit, for sure!

Also, alongside printing out the .pdf of the color Tube map -- there is a free Tube app if you have a smartphone. I have both and plan on using both. Everyone I know says London's Tube is the easiest subway system they've encountered (well laid out, I mean).

Three years ago, following our TA cruise, we spent one week in London and found the tube system easy to use. We planned ahead but also asked for train confirmation at stations, when in doubt. Managed to get on the wrong train once, but just got off at the next stop. We purchased a couple of Oyster Cards, with sufficient amounts loaded on them for travel from Heathrow to our hotel on the Picadilly Line and also for one week's travel within zones 1 and 2, which covers most of the tourist sites.

Enjoy London!

Tube maps (free) are also available in each station..Brought mine home as a souvenir..Occasionally we saw station workers but more often we asked locals and each time they couldn't have been more helpful....Mind the Gap :)

Everyone I know says London's Tube is the easiest subway system they've encountered (well laid out, I mean).

In my opinion, all down to the great Harry Beck who in 1931 came up with the 'iconic' tube map. Most people still think London is actually laid out like his map, thats how good it is! Poor bloke got paid just 5 Guineas for it! (£5.25 [about US$8]).:rolleyes:

Simon

We come from NYC and compared to London's tube system, we are still in the dark ages. London's tube system is so far ahead of ours, and probably most US subway systems, it is kind of funny about it all.

So we thought we were experienced subway riders, but in NY you really don't know you are on the right train until you are on it and see for yourself you are going in the right direction.

On the London tube's you just have to know where you are going to and what color line gets you there. After that, you go into a Tube station that you can either get that line or transfer to that line down the road. When you go down the stairs, there is a list of stations that that particular train will be stopping at on either side. Find your station to get off or transfer, and go onto that platform. On the platform wall, there is again a list of stations that train will be stopping at, and once you get onto the train, again another list of stations the train will be stopping at. Basically impossible to get on the wrong train if you are paying attention. If you have to transfer to a different line, get off where you are supposed to and just follow the color, or the name of the line to the next platform (may have to go up or down on the escalator) and repeat looking for your stop and getting on the correct platform.

May sound complicated but it isn't.

as they say, "piece of cake"

Cheers

Len

If it's any comfort, the London Tube system is so easy to figure out, our young sons had it down pat after the second ride on it.

I was amazed in 2010 how crowded the Tube has gotten compared to 2005. If you can, go on the Tube in the off-peak hours - like after the majority of people have gotten to work or have gotten home.

Just remember when you get to a Tube Station - that a particular colour line through it goes in two directions from that Station (from 2 different platforms). Make sure you get on the train going in your correct direction from the correct platform. It is quite easy for Tube "newbies" to get on the train going in the wrong direction ;)

Barry

We had trouble getting around on the tube when we were in London in June 2010 because so many lines were closed. They were doing a lot of construction to get the lines ready for the Olympics. I expect that they are all up and running now.

We had trouble getting around on the tube when we were in London in June 2010 because so many lines were closed. They were doing a lot of construction to get the lines ready for the Olympics. I expect that they are all up and running now.

Not at weekends they're not!

My daily commute is usually OK (apart from the odd signal failure/train faliure/passenger 'incident')

It should be sorted in the next 3 months though (famous last words!)

Make sure that you know your West from your East - lines are signposted as westbound, eastbound etc.. - your best bet is to check the final destination to make sure that you are going in the right direction.

The London Tube is what every other metro system in the world aspires to be.... :)

Easy Peasy

Srpilo

Call me a cynical old Brit - I have used the Paris Metro several times and found it easy to use and navigate around (unless you have luggage) so it is not far behind the Tube IMHO.

The Paris Metro is cheaper and probably more frequent. Admittedly I use the Tube every day and 99% of the time it works (it just reminds me that I still have to commute to work:()

Call me a cynical old Brit - I have used the Paris Metro several times and found it easy to use and navigate around (unless you have luggage) so it is not far behind the Tube IMHO.

The Paris Metro is cheaper and probably more frequent. Admittedly I use the Tube every day and 99% of the time it works (it just reminds me that I still have to commute to work:()

I was thinking the same thing. We were SO impressed the the Paris Metro, then went over to London and we couldn't help comparing the two. Paris' system is by far superior to London's IMO.

Still, it's a heck of a lot better than anything we have in the US, IMO.

The underground is very easy to get round, and there are lots of people down there to help out( unlike New York) Make sure you get an Oyster card to start with. It costs £5 but that is refunded if you hand it back. You will then get fares cheaper. It also caps the spend, so you won't pay anymore than a day fare. Make sure when using the escalator down there that you stand to the right on them to allow people to pass on the left. (Londoners don't like being held up lol)

We come from NYC and compared to London's tube system, we are still in the dark ages. London's tube system is so far ahead of ours, and probably most US subway systems, it is kind of funny about it all.

So we thought we were experienced subway riders, but in NY you really don't know you are on the right train until you are on it and see for yourself you are going in the right direction.

On the London tube's you just have to know where you are going to and what color line gets you there. After that, you go into a Tube station that you can either get that line or transfer to that line down the road. When you go down the stairs, there is a list of stations that that particular train will be stopping at on either side. Find your station to get off or transfer, and go onto that platform. On the platform wall, there is again a list of stations that train will be stopping at, and once you get onto the train, again another list of stations the train will be stopping at. Basically impossible to get on the wrong train if you are paying attention. If you have to transfer to a different line, get off where you are supposed to and just follow the color, or the name of the line to the next platform (may have to go up or down on the escalator) and repeat looking for your stop and getting on the correct platform.

May sound complicated but it isn't.

as they say, "piece of cake"

Cheers

Len

Well I might challenge that statement just a bit. Have you used the London Underground in summer? Even on days when it's not all that hot, say in the vicinity of 25 degrees, it gets very hot and huymid especially in some of the deep tubes and when the temperature starts approaching 35 degrees, forget it. There are signs all over to drink water as the system is not air conditioned. They have claimed for a while that air conditioning is impossible given the narrow width of some of the tubes and also claiming that it really doesn't get all that hot in the London Underground, but as | understand it they are giving in and new cars will all have air conditioning as they claim they ave solved the problem of narrow width tunnels.

In New York, the air conditioning on the trains for the most part works and works well (all though some of the stations can be roasting ovens but as soon as the train arrives, relief is just a door opening away). Also all cars are clearly marked as to the final destinatin and the lne in New York; in London althouogh many tracks are for only one service, sometimes say on the District line you have to note on the train arrival board which branch the train you are getting on is for. Also all through Central London, there are train arrivla signs. New York is first starting this and is still years away from completing this.

But at least, I can tell you one thing about the London Underground. While riding, you are constantly reminded to mind the gap.....only sporadically so in New York.

Well I might challenge that statement just a bit. Have you used the London Underground in summer? Even on days when it's not all that hot, say in the vicinity of 25 degrees, it gets very hot and huymid especially in some of the deep tubes and when the temperature starts approaching 35 degrees, forget it. There are signs all over to drink water as the system is not air conditioned. They have claimed for a while that air conditioning is impossible given the narrow width of some of the tubes and also claiming that it really doesn't get all that hot in the London Underground, but as | understand it they are giving in and new cars will all have air conditioning as they claim they ave solved the problem of narrow width tunnels.

In New York, the air conditioning on the trains for the most part works and works well (all though some of the stations can be roasting ovens but as soon as the train arrives, relief is just a door opening away). Also all cars are clearly marked as to the final destinatin and the lne in New York; in London althouogh many tracks are for only one service, sometimes say on the District line you have to note on the train arrival board which branch the train you are getting on is for. Also all through Central London, there are train arrivla signs. New York is first starting this and is still years away from completing this.

But at least, I can tell you one thing about the London Underground. While riding, you are constantly reminded to mind the gap.....only sporadically so in New York.

And are you saying that the NY subway system is better than the London one??.

I seriously doubt it

Cheers

Len

Is one better than the other? The fact is, ;and right now I'm visiting Londonand am quite familiar with tfl and the London Underground but I live in New York and am quite familiar with the MTA and the New York City subway. Each has their strengths and each has their problems making it pretty much a wash. I pointed out the air conditioning, clearly a strfength of the NYC subway especially in the summer. I have been on many London underground trains in summer and it hasn't been a pleasant experience. The train arrival boardxs are a strength of the London Underground, it has taken decades for New York to get there and there are still some idiots who don't think they are a good idea in New York. Fare collection is quicker in NY, swipe your metrocard upon entering and nothing to swipe when leaving as opposed to the intricate zone tariffs on London Underground Few stations in New York are as deep as those in London; many of the deepest stations in London havCentral line have lifts for which often one has to queue to9 get to the street or down to the trains. Trains in New York are more clearly marked although in NY, many different lines share the same tracks whereas in London for the most part (there are exceptions) each line has separate tracks. Signeage is much improved in New Yorkbut better in London where you can clearly see the sequence of stations as you enter the platform for each line.

Grafitti has been dealt with in New York and for the most part, doesn't exist. There is somew2hat more grafiti in the London Underground.

Neither, though, is as good as the Paris Metro as has been pointed out. But the NYC subway is leaps and bounds improved than 10 or 15 years ago, is cheaper although tfl has a greater variety of fares. Crime in the NYC subways is very very low as it is in London.

Both systems serve their purposes but I wouldn't call either leaps or bounds ahead of the other.

The tube is great for getting from A to B quicly, but if you want to see out then catch a bus. The Oyster card works there as well and route maps are easy to find.

I'll agree with that. When we lived in London and had to go into the centre, it was tube, tube all the time: it's quicker. These days we live in the north of england and go to London occasionally for visits, and we are indeed using the buses in London a lot more.

And another vote for the Oyster card. We went through the hassle of getting them a few years ago - queueing for a long time at St Pancras International with all the foreign kids just off the Eurostar - but we're glad we did.

Archived