Any bag recommendations?

taffy12

I'm trying to find a shoulder bag to carry my t2i with a lens attached, plus my two extra lenses (I have an 18-55mm, 55-250, and 50mm). I'd rather not spend more than $40 or $50...and even that's getting a little high for me, but I want something that will do the job. Looking around, I keep finding bags that are too big, too small, not padded enough... What do you use? Any suggestions?

What about an apecase messenger style bag? Is anyone familiar with that one?

Bags there are so many, given everyones size, strength and size I would say go to a pro camera store and try out the shoulder packs, slingpacks and than of course various backpacks.

For just lugging around during the day I've just use a cheap Hartman shoulder bag for lugging around D3s/Nikon1 24-120F4 and 70-200 2.8 and SB900.

I'm trying to find a shoulder bag to carry my t2i with a lens attached, plus my two extra lenses (I have an 18-55mm, 55-250, and 50mm). I'd rather not spend more than $40 or $50...and even that's getting a little high for me, but I want something that will do the job. Looking around, I keep finding bags that are too big, too small, not padded enough... What do you use? Any suggestions? What about an apecase messenger style bag? Is anyone familiar with that one?

For my Nikon D3100 with its 18-55mm lens, plus the Nikon 55-300mm and 10-20mm Sigma wide angle lenses, below are a couple pictures of the bag that I got. It works very, very well. It can strap on the front at waist-level, making changing lenses easy and quick. I don't remember its price level. When you want to protect your camera and lenses, don't go too cheap and/or without decent protections, easy of use.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,133 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are two views of my camera bag used for cruise travels. It is made by Tamrac. First is the inside view where my Nikon D3100 sits/fits in the middle with the longer 55-300mm telephoto zoom on the left and the 10-20mm wide angle on the right. As the ruler shows, it is only about 11” wide.

CameraBagInside.jpg

CameraBagOutside.jpg

I had the same problem trying to find a bag. I wanted a multi purpose bag that didn't scream camera gear. Was looking for a bag that would carry the camera gear, clothes and small things that would normally be in a purse. I looked at diaper bags (lots of pockets and look like a regular tote) and hunting backpacks. I settled on the backpack. I protect the camera gear with padded cases for the lenses and a neoprene sleeve for the camera. There are straps on each side that I can carry both the tripod and monpod where drink bottles should go. I usually don't carry these due to the added weight, but I can if I need to. I spent about $60 total. My goal was to have one bag if I boarded a plane or a ship. The backpack I got has heavily padded straps, chest strap and waist strap. Fully loaded, it is comfortable to wear and doesn't slide around on my back when all straps are used. Cost wise, it isn't that much cheaper than a regular camera bag, but I can pack everything I need for a weekend trip in it.

I am a camera-bag-aholic. Here's my latest purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-Camera-Bag/dp/B0039NLS4C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328850110&sr=8-2

It's a little more than you wanted to spend, but so far I really like it.

It doesn't scream out "expensive camera inside", looks more like a messenger bag. You can wear it across your body or just on one shoulder. It's very well padded and it has a zipper that allows you to expand the bag. The main thing I don't like is that the outside pockets don't have any means of closure. I might try some velcro.

I'm trying to find a shoulder bag to carry my t2i with a lens attached, plus my two extra lenses (I have an 18-55mm, 55-250, and 50mm). I'd rather not spend more than $40 or $50...and even that's getting a little high for me, but I want something that will do the job. Looking around, I keep finding bags that are too big, too small, not padded enough... What do you use? Any suggestions?

What about an apecase messenger style bag? Is anyone familiar with that one?

I have this bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLRC-205-Camera-Sling/dp/B002ISXBFI/ref=pd_cp_p_1

I am able to fit my t2i with Canon 70-200 F4l (hood on backwards) in the main compartment and put my 50mm 1.8 and my kit 18-55mm lenses in the lens compartment. My battery charger goes in the front zipper pouch with a USB cable. My spare SD cards go in the SD card pouch. Any filters I buy will go in the filter pouch. Plus it has a strap for a monopod/tripod.

If I don't have the 70-200 F4l mounted, I put it in its original bag in the lens compartment. This gives me enough space in the main compartment to mount my kit lens and put the 50mm 1.8 in the bottom.

Eventually, I will get a flash and have to either get a bigger bag or make some decisions on what items I travel with. But for now, it makes the perfect pack for me.

It is very comfortable and perfect for day outings. I like that I can swing the bag around and pull stuff out without taking the bag off. Perfect for on the go!

Good Luck!

I got this camera bag, and I love it. I also did not want something that screamed out "Expensive camera inside!" Depending on what I carry, there is space for a water bottle, and a snack, and sun-screen.

I like the expanding zipper feature.

I got this camera bag, and I love it. I also did not want something that screamed out "Expensive camera inside!" Depending on what I carry, there is space for a water bottle, and a snack, and sun-screen.

That bag screams "Watch out, I may have dirty diapers!" :) Definitely not something people would want to steal.

As a father, I approve!

KATA 3N1-10

kat-ktd3n110.jpg

This is the holy grail bag for me, finally. It will organize the body with any lens I have, 2 other lens', pivot/zoom flash, filters, lens pen, wipes, strap, timer, charger, extra batteries and cards - what am I forgetting? NOTHING! I have some velcro strapping and can strap the tripod onto it too; rarely, but I've done it when hiking.

You can wear it as a backpack, but I normally wear it as a sling, with one backpack strap tucked into a dedicated slot so it is out of the way. You can pull it around from back to front, and the camera is under a zippered pull flap for easy access.

Light, comfortable - I can't say enough about how much I like this bag. I found it on eBay for 50.00, I know that is more than you want, but sometimes you have to stretch a little!

kata3in1sling_open.jpg

http://www.kata-bags.com/3n1-10-for-dslr-w-mid-range-zoom-lens-1-2-lenses-flash?tab=presentation

• 2 weeks later...

I am a person that loves to research items, cross reference opinions and literally brought my camera & extra lens (55-300) with me to the store (Roberts camera is near us.) I played with many style bags and ruled out backpack "heavy"style, purchased a traditional Targus lunch box style -two sizes and the Passport sling type bag. The lunch box style was a close runner up -plenty of room, but not enough for a waterbottle or umbrella, plus I looked pretty bogged down with it on my hip.

I am small framed 5'2" and found the Passport sling to be padded enough- to protect camera with the 55-300 lens on it, and standard lens next to it in separate compartment easily accesible. It also has two small pockets for a cell phone,battery or camera card. What is nice is that it can expand and I carry a bottle of water and compact umbrella all around DisneyWorld. There are outside pockets which is good for a water bottle also, but not very secure. I plan on sewing in a velcro square to secure them or a 6" zipper. It is supposed to be a cross body bag, but find myself carrying it on my shoulder like a purse. The Passport is a real keeper, it also folds flat if you pull out padded insert and lie it flat too. I prefer to keep camera in passport case with accessories and put in my rolling backpack carryon with a small laptop when flying. Thus giving me more room for magazines and snacks too and counting as only one carryon.

I am a camera-bag-aholic.

I am glad I am not the only one with this "affliction"... But as long as I have fewer camera bags than my wife has purses, I am ahead.

After buying so many Tamrac, Tenba, and Lowepro bags, I have settled on Think Tank bags. They are really not any more expensive than the other major brands (but are more than the $50 you wan to spend).

I have found that the best solution is to carry light. There is no need to carry every piece of camera gear you own in a bag, because if you do, it will be too heavy.

So adopt the solution of a "day bag" and get a bag only large enough to carry what you need for the day; which should include the camera, a lens or two, perhaps a flash and spare battery. Leave the other stuff home (or in a larger bag), such as battery chargers and extra lenses.

In that regard, there are two bags I use to fulfill that need, both by Think Tank; the "Change-Up" and "Speed Freak" (yea, they have goofy names).

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/change-up-belt-pack.aspx

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-freak-v2.aspx

Note also that the Speed Freak is the middle sized speed pack. There is also the smaller Speed Demon and larger Speed Racer. But remember - a bag large enough to hold everything probably too heavy to carry.

Both are small bags and the Change-Up will hold a DSLR with attached lens, plus a second lens and flash. The Speed Freak will hold one or two additional lenses, depending on the lens size. And it will hold a 70-200mm f/2.8 unattached from the camrea.

What makes them unique is that they are predominantly shoulder bags, but they have a quick change waist belt (hence the name Change-Up) that allows you to go to a belt arrangement or combo (shoulder strap and belt).

The result is they are less hard to carry, which I really appreciate.

airport4.jpg

This is the Think Tank Change-Up, which is the smaller of the two shoulder/waist belt bags I have. It will fit my D90 with 18-200mm attached, plus a Tokina 11-16mm superwide and a SB700 flash. The larger Speed Freak will hold a full sized pro camera or the D90 with a battery grip attached.

changeup1.jpg

Here is my Change-Up as a shoulder bag (the Scooba strap is a 3rd party strap, as it offers more support).

And here is how the bag gets converted to a waist pack:

expand.jpg

I just like that unique idea, and I think it works well for excursions.

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-~-Change-Up/dp/B0016LSN74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330346570&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Speed-Freak-Waist/dp/B0052E90A0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330346597&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Beltpack-Attached-80-200mm/dp/B0016XKO0G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330346597&sr=1-2

For the Speed Freak, I did notice that Amazon still has both versions (V1.0 and V2.0). I used to own V1.0 and gave it to my son when V2.0 came out. In reality, I rather liked the V1.0 better (and it is $50 less).

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Edition-Carrying-Removable-Shoulder/dp/B000YQKBBI/ref=sr_1_17?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1331846820&sr=1-17

(link to Amazon.com)

I have this in my wishlist and debating getting it for land stuff. I have a nice large water resistant backpack for several lenses and stuff but this is a lot smaller and might be easier on land. I won't bring more then 2..MAYBE 3 lenses with me so this would be the perfect size. I never used one so not sure about quality but for me ... if it lasts the week it has done its job :D

I got this from amazon a couple years ago and love it. It holds a D7000 with 18-200mm attached with enough room for 2 other lens (1 on each side), battery charger, spare battery and 4 memory cards.

The camera is slightly suspended inside for extra protection.

Case Logic SLRC-202 Medium SLR Camera Bag

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TZWNF0/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I got this from amazon a couple years ago and love it. It holds a D7000 with 18-200mm attached with enough room for 2 other lens (1 on each side), battery charger, spare battery and 4 memory cards.

The camera is slightly suspended inside for extra protection.

Case Logic SLRC-202 Medium SLR Camera Bag

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TZWNF0/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I have one of their larger backpacks and love it! I didn't realize they have smaller bags such as that.

Archived