Pls vote....Sorrento vs. Capri

cruzers j&n

Calling all experts who have been to both locations! We will have 1 full day (8-6 pm) in mid-May to visit either Sorrento or Capri. I know folks who have gone to one or the other but not both, so would be curious which one you would chose? I read on previous boards that you could do both in one day, however, we rather not rush just to see both sites but want to give the place the time it deserves.

Perhaps the weather in May would make the water a bit choppy, in which case I would easily forfeit Capri since I easily get seasick. I'm guessing the water would be too cool to swim as well.

We will be on a private tour the day prior which features Ravello, Positano, and Amalfi....not sure if Sorrento will just feel like a 'repeat'? Would the towns all seem to blend together?

Looking forward to hearing your responses and thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

Calling all experts who have been to both locations! We will have 1 full day (8-6 pm) in mid-May to visit either Sorrento or Capri. I know folks who have gone to one or the other but not both, so would be curious which one you would chose? I read on previous boards that you could do both in one day, however, we rather not rush just to see both sites but want to give the place the time it deserves.

Perhaps the weather in May would make the water a bit choppy, in which case I would easily forfeit Capri since I easily get seasick. I'm guessing the water would be too cool to swim as well.

We will be on a private tour the day prior which features Ravello, Positano, and Amalfi....not sure if Sorrento will just feel like a 'repeat'? Would the towns all seem to blend together?

Looking forward to hearing your responses and thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

If you're doing the Amalfi Drive on the day before, I would skip Capri because the Blue Grotto is a mess (first graffiti, then raw sewage dumped in the water :eek:).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/blue-grottos-crystal-waters-contaminated-by-raw-sewage-1777741.html

Sorrento is lovely, but very much more of the same (especially if your cruise has also stopped in Portofino).

Have you considered touring either Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Or, if that seems too daunting, a visit to the Villa Oplontis (AKA the Villa Poppea, Nero's wifes home) gives one much the same history with a lot less walking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Poppaea

On our last visit to the Naples area, our guide Marcello Maresca, was able to combine a leisurely tour of the Villa with a SUPERB Italian luncheon in a view restaurant. It was heavenly, and incredibly inexpensive. The lunch was something like 15 courses, with wine, and they were apologizing for charging 25 Euros per head.

Naples is such a different mindset than Rome

We have visited both a number of times and feel they are different experiences.

Forced to vote, we say Capri. The chair lift up at Anacapri gives one an excellent perspective of that island. Also, we found the Faraglioni rocks beautiful. Fully agree with J&S that the Blue Grotto should be avoided.

We stayed a week in Sorrento 4 years ago and this is my order of preference-

1. Amalfi and Positano

2. Capri

3. Sorrento

Understand – I loved them all and think that you cant go wrong no matter what you decide. Sorrento is great with lots of little back streets to explore. Capri is lovely also with fabulous scenery.

Good luck with you decision.

Have been told and as I say only told that Capri is a tourist dump. People should go to Ischia Island next to Capri they say its simply stunning!! Google it I did and think it well worth a look. Im discovering places i never knew existed..like Madeira off Portugal breathtaking. I love Google goodluck!!! I read a blog and photos of someone who lives at Ischia but cant remember how now sorry

Jimand Stan I would like to know the name of the tour people or how to find their site that you did the villa with please. Altho we havent been to Naples before so guess we need to do Herculaneum Pompeii and hope to fit in one Amalfi Coast town but may run out of time thanx

Jimand Stan I would like to know the name of the tour people or how to find their site that you did the villa with please. Altho we havent been to Naples before so guess we need to do Herculaneum Pompeii and hope to fit in one Amalfi Coast town but may run out of time thanx

With limited time, you don't need to do both Herculaneum and Pompeii if you want to make sure you get to the Amalfi Coast.

Herculaneum is a smaller site and the state of preservation is better. Pompeii is larger and, of course, better known. It's also considerably more crowded. The two sites were destroyed in different ways and this affected the amount of detail that still remains. I'm not saying "See one volcanic ruin and you've seen then all." I am suggesting that cruising involves making choices and the scenery of the Amalfi Coast is worth narrowing an archaeological site visit to one.

You mention visiting one town. The towns are charming places to stroll, but you'll mostly be having a shopping experience. if I were in your situation, I'd choose to be driven along as much of the Amalfi Coast road as possible and, then, eat a nice lunch at a place with a glorious view.

If you want help choosing between Positano and Amalfi, I think of Amalfi as more of the ceramic and limoncello town. I think of Positano as more of a clothing and giftware town. The view from the highway above Positano is more glorious than anything in Amalfi. However, once you're into the streets of either town, you lose your connection to the water (exept the stores ringing the beach at Positano.)

Perhaps the weather in May would make the water a bit choppy, in which case I would easily forfeit Capri since I easily get seasick. .

FWIW I have been to Capri twice. I love it BUT felt awful on the hydrofoil each time. The boat people go around and hand out seasick bags because many people have trouble with this trip.

----------------------

Helen

Our guide was Marcello, we've used his services 3 or 4 times now, and the company is See Sorrento.

http://www.seesorrento.com/index_eng.html

You won't have time to do both do both Herculaneum and Pompeii, and in any case, they are too similar to do in one trip, unless you have a week in Naples.

The Amalfi experience is all about the drive and is well worth an entire day in itself. Enjoy the experience. This is a port where rushing from site to site will make your day less. Don't try to squeeze in too much.

Whatever tour you choose to do, GIVE MARCELLO A FREE HAND WITH THE RESTAURANT. He has a special talent for choosing a great one.

view-of-the-bay-of-naples.jpg -and getting you a deal. ;)

I can't really vote here because our total Sorrento experience was one day in October where we opted for Pompeii and the Amalfi drive.

But I can agree with Jim&Stan and others that a visit to Pompeii is a real highlight. (Haven't seen Herculaneum either, no time for both as has been said.) But I recommend hiring a guide! They do have audio guides but others who were advising me when we were planning our trip said they didn't find them all that useful. We hired a guide through our agency (Drive Amalfi) and he was fabulous. Another couple started eavesdropping and finally asked if they could join us, but of course that wasn't possible.

Our tour was supposed to be two hours but we managed to take 2-1/2 hours.

Mura

One of my favorite restaurants in the world is in Sorrento..we eat there every time we are around the area!!

Jancruz1

Jancruz-What is the name of your favorite restaurant in Sorrento?

OP:

If the weather is warm and the sky is clear blue not cloudy or rainy, then

take a dramamine and go to Capri with the ferry/hydrofoil and see whatever most interests you. Even after the ferry,it's a challenge of transportation on Capri, you have to go up funiculars, take scary bus rides/taxis/ use chair lift if you want to see everything. And it's really crowded. Then you have to take the ferry back. If you liked a particular town on your Amalfi coast drive but didn't get enough time there, go back to that town. Try to make sure that you see Ravello on your Amalfi coast drive, hopefully on a day of clear weather so you can see the great views. If it's cloudy or rainy stick to Sorrento, check out the specialty stores for inlaid woodwork, the 14th C chapel, the view from the heights towards Naples, the medieval streets of the old part of town and eat a great and slow lunch.

Calling all experts who have been to both locations! We will have 1 full day (8-6 pm) in mid-May to visit either Sorrento or Capri. I know folks who have gone to one or the other but not both, so would be curious which one you would chose? I read on previous boards that you could do both in one day, however, we rather not rush just to see both sites but want to give the place the time it

We have done this itinerary on an overnite port with a late departure:

Day1- Amalfi drive incl. Positano, Ravello and a stroll around Sorrento

Day2- early departure to Pompei by train, which is a short walk from the

tender dock. The train stop for the site is very clearly indicated, the

entrance is within meters. After buying your tickets there are the

'certified guides' for hire, waiting just past the ticket booths. The

site is large and a these guides will explain the history and get you around with ease & efficiency.

If you have a late port departure on day2 (which we had) you can visit Capri in the late afternoon, less crowded. There are convertible-taxis for hire who will drive you around the island. Take note of the hydrofoil/ferry schedules for the return times. We did this itinerary an we did not feel rushed..mind you we do not take long meal stops. We have a full breakfast before leaving the ship, stop for snacks, then we dine on the ship after our day. One thing is certain, you will never have enough time to fully see what this area has to offer....this itinerary will only give you a sample of how beautiful the Amalfi coast is & will leave you wanting to return!

A huge thank you for making things clearer. Oh if only we could spend more time there :( Hoping to hire a camper down the track and just wander the sites. Like many have said seeing this wonderful coast will make us wanting to return. I did look at Marcello but at 500 Euros I will need to get others to share expense. I will try the roll call forum. PS Had a customer in recently said about cruises and he replied oh how boring...asked him how many times hes been...turns out NEVER!!!! Little do they know!!!!

Hi Jancruz Managed to go to link for Caruso Restaurant thankyou. Looks superb Just wondering if we are inbetween half day tours would we have enough time to appreciate the wonderful menu here? What is your favourite. I could not get the menu to translate tho to English. Your help much appreciated

Hi Jancruz Managed to go to link for Caruso Restaurant thankyou. Looks superb Just wondering if we are inbetween half day tours would we have enough time to appreciate the wonderful menu here? What is your favourite. I could not get the menu to translate tho to English. Your help much appreciated

I have had so many wonderful things there..I suggest you ask the waiter..they make almost anything you want..

Enjoy,

Jancruz1

It is weird because they used to have a flag at the top of their webpage to click on for English.

In any event they have English menus and they speak English so no worries.

This place is the absolute best ! Have been going there for ever. Have taken cruises that stopped in Sorrento just to go there. Easy to get to at top of hill main street area in Sorrento from the port tender area. The food is amazing..

Fish, pastas everything.

If you let the waiters help you ,you can't go wrong. You must make a reservation, you can online.:D

• 2 months later...
Hi,

We'd like to see Capri. Don't want to do the ships tour. How do you get to the hydrofoil from the ship? Are the taxi's waiting at the hydrofoil when you get off? Thanks for your help.

From what I recall the hydro. is within close proximity of the tender dock.

Yes, the Capri convertible-taxis are right as you get off. There is a Excellent website www.capri.com where you will find all the info you need including location & timetables of transportation, walking guides etc..there is sooo much more to see than the Blue Grotto!

If you get car sick, the drive along the Amalfi coast is brutal. We were on a tour with 6 other CC's and the majority of them ended up car sick. We had to sit in the very back of the car as we were the only ones who did not get ill.

Why would people who get car sick voluntarily take a four hour Scenic Drive?:confused:

I would suggest that you vet your companions more carefully, the next time ;)

Archived