Luggage thief on Miami Pier/Celebrity cruise

betterdaysahead

The one idea that I really like in all these replies...the use of DUCT TAPE! I'm going to do exactly that...it sounds like the kind of material that will be annoying to wrap (several times) around the bag, and probably REALLY annoying to remove from the bag...but, that's the idea!! I have something called a luggage belt/strap (bought on ebay)...haven't used it yet, but it seems like it might also be one of those things that might have some deterrence for someone trying to make a very hasty entry into one of my bags.

We were on a cruise to Bermuda with a sixth and that's what they had for luggage. They were both well dressed all the time. I checked that out when I saw how little luggage they had.

Five words.

Travel lite, travel carry-on. :D

2qvv62v.jpg

2d0xd0h.jpg

The one idea that I really like in all these replies...the use of DUCT TAPE! I'm going to do exactly that...it sounds like the kind of material that will be annoying to wrap (several times) around the bag, and probably REALLY annoying to remove from the bag...but, that's the idea!! I have something called a luggage belt/strap (bought on ebay)...haven't used it yet, but it seems like it might also be one of those things that might have some deterrence for someone trying to make a very hasty entry into one of my bags.

They make all kinds of fancy duct tape now called duck tape. We always put two luggage straps on our luggage and we make sure they don't match so we know it is ours.

I don't take my wedding rings when we travel. I bought a lovely fake set on QVC and that fills the bill. Everything I really need, our RX, jewelry, personal items, cameras kindles and such goes in our carry on.

They make all kinds of fancy duct tape now called duck tape.

Duck tape is a brand. The category is still called duct tape [although many people fail to pronounce the t].

You only need two tools to get through life: duct tape and 3-in-1 oil. If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move when it should, use the oil...

We always use pull ties to secure our luggage. A little security never hurts. We use several on every zipper so it might slow down a thief. Luggage has been opened a few times by security nd they replace the ties.

Jaybird,

I use zipper luggage also, but have a look at this. I tried this and even I can do it. So check the cotents of your luggage or take some pictures as you pack for a check later. I knew I had seen this and I found it.

oops, I saw that someone had already posted this. This one is with a different colored suitcase.

I put a colored strap around my zipper suitcase to make it easier to identify. Might give some inhibition to opening it, but only hard side luggage could inhibit opening more. I understand that hard side can probably be opened also.

Edited by scapel

I'm a girlie girl on a cruise. My shoes wouldn't even fit in that! Lol :-b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TO DIZNEY,

You are my kind of GF... I was thinking the same thing. We took a sports / duffle bag this trip that was "totally" dedicated to shoes...

On vacation, Mr Sloop can be almost as bad as I. He had 4 Pairs (Dress Oxfords - Boat Shoes - Runners / Walking Shoes - and Flip Flops)... and I had 6 (Heels - Boat Shoes - Runners / Walking Shoes - Flip Flops - Watershoes - and Ballet Shoes / Flats / Cushiony Slippers).

Lol, have all our bases covered no matter what the occasion / need.

I'd rather give up on other clothes items, than give up on shoes, when I am in a situation where I am doing a wide assortment of things.

Lol, I will certainly pay extra baggage fees to just accommodate our shoe needs on my next cruise (was lucky enough to pay no extras for flying Canada to USA... not so lucky next year when flying Canada to San Juan... we have to pay $ 25 for every checked bag, every leg of the trip)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Many years ago, we were on a cruise where our luggage was left sitting in the terminal and items were stolen. My husband actually walked off and retrieved the one missing bag himself. We had driven to the terminal and I didn't realize that we would have to give up our luggage to a porter outside the terminal. We tipped him , only to realize later that he went through our luggage and took anything of value. Since that time we have always breathed a sigh of relief when all of our bags were delivered to our cabin. Recently, we went on a 5day sailing on the Millenium and took our own luggage on/off the ship. Our cabin was ready when we got on and we went directly to it and unpacked. So easy. On disembarkation day, we had a leisurely breakfast and returned to our cabin and retrieved our luggage and walked off. We never relenquished control of our luggage . This would be harder on a longer cruise, but I think we could do it.

Jaybird,

I use zipper luggage also, but have a look at this. I tried this and even I can do it. So check the cotents of your luggage or take some pictures as you pack for a check later. I knew I had seen this and I found it.

oops, I saw that someone had already posted this. This one is with a different colored suitcase.

I put a colored strap around my zipper suitcase to make it easier to identify. Might give some inhibition to opening it, but only hard side luggage could inhibit opening more. I understand that hard side can probably be opened also.

TO SCAPEL,

Your link is NOT NEWS.

With all due respect...

If you had had read ALL the postings in this topic, you would have discovered that this has indeed been a major element of this topic since BOOGS posted a similar video link back in Reply # 4.

:rolleyes:

Cheers!

EDIT - Apologies... I see that you too have now come to realize (add a PS) that this info has been posted previously. You were posting your Apologies, at the same time, as I was putting up my original reply. Again I am sorry.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

They make all kinds of fancy duct tape now called duck tape. We always put two luggage straps on our luggage and we make sure they don't match so we know it is ours.

I don't take my wedding rings when we travel. I bought a lovely fake set on QVC and that fills the bill. Everything I really need, our RX, jewelry, personal items, cameras kindles and such goes in our carry on.

I set you an e-mail about Antarctica. Let me know if you get it.

I've heard a few complaints about this on and off the ship. But I've never read of someone getting Celebrity to cover any losses here. I think the biggest problem is proof that the items were there and when they went missing. Then on top of that the cruise contract indicates that Celebrity is only liable if they are negligent, so you might have to establish negligence, and even then the liability is limited to $300 per passenger.

This happened to our son a few years back out of Miami but different cruise line - RCI. He left his luggage with the check-in except for a small carryon which he carried on board. He never saw the checked luggage again. He had no recourse. His luggage had his suit, several dress shirts and ties and several pair of slacks. His carryon had some shorts, polos and swim trunks.

Many years ago, we were on a cruise where our luggage was left sitting in the terminal and items were stolen. My husband actually walked off and retrieved the one missing bag himself. We had driven to the terminal and I didn't realize that we would have to give up our luggage to a porter outside the terminal. We tipped him , only to realize later that he went through our luggage and took anything of value. Since that time we have always breathed a sigh of relief when all of our bags were delivered to our cabin. Recently, we went on a 5day sailing on the Millenium and took our own luggage on/off the ship. Our cabin was ready when we got on and we went directly to it and unpacked. So easy. On disembarkation day, we had a leisurely breakfast and returned to our cabin and retrieved our luggage and walked off. We never relenquished control of our luggage . This would be harder on a longer cruise, but I think we could do it.

This will be our first cruise. If we are able are we allowed to carry all our luggage onboard ourselves?

This will be our first cruise. If we are able are we allowed to carry all our luggage onboard ourselves?

You can carry aboard anything that will fit through an airport style x-ray scanner. I don't know what security would do if your luggage wouldn't fit.

You can carry aboard anything that will fit through an airport style x-ray scanner. I don't know what security would do if your luggage wouldn't fit.

On our last cruise in St. Thomas, I brought back an electronics purchase that wouldn't fit through the X-ray scanner and initially the security person wanted me to open it up for a visual inspection. A supervisor intervened and said since it was a sealed consumer product it didn't have to be opened. IMO this might be done with a piece of luggage but I've also seen people being sent back to check in large pieces of luggage at embarkation. For our St. Thomas port call this wasn't an option.

Put Duct tape around your luggage. I've done it several times.

This is my DH's preferred method for security. It not only deters the thief by making it more time-consuming to open the luggage, it makes the luggage easier to spot on the cariselle (sp). It seems everyone has similarly designed bags. :)

My suitcase has a TSA lock. I have tought it was fine. But apparently it was open and then left open, which to my point of view can tempt porters anywhere. Now I use a TSA lock which is not part of the suitcase itself. I have realized, that those locks which open with keys, once open, will be locked again by controllers, not so the included locks in the suitcase which need a code.

Seems like a dumb question, but if you use the plastic ties to secure the locks on your luggage, what do you use to cut them when you arrive? (since you can't take a knife in your carry-on)

Do you put a knife or scissors in the outside pocket of the luggage?

Seems like a dumb question, but if you use the plastic ties to secure the locks on your luggage, what do you use to cut them when you arrive? (since you can't take a knife in your carry-on)

Hi Eppiela,

We use a small pair of nail clippers... which are perfectly fine in one's purse or carry-on luggage (see TSA Website for more info)

NOTE - It is an "urban legend" to some extent that Nail Clippers are not allowed by TSA / Airport Security. Have never had an issue with them.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

We use hard-sided luggage, either with built-in TSA locks, or a TSA - approved locking luggage strap (Samsonite makes a good one). Never had a problem -- but then, we never pack anything of value in our checked luggage. That all goes in carry-on, which never leaves our sight! :cool:

I was intrigued by the duct tape suggestion -- that stuff really is amazing. Just one question though -- when you remove it, doesn't it leave a sticky mess on your bag? :eek:

Yes, and this is why we prefer the TSA combination locks to the plastic ties.

Also the locks are easy to open and re-lock when you just want to pull something out of the bag or put something in.

Although locking and strapping or taping a bag doesn't make it theft proof, someone who is just looking for a random opportunity to reach into a bag for a quick grab is less likely to pick one that is more complicated to open.

Anyone who really wants your suitcase can just take the whole thing.

We noticed that some airports now have those machines that encase the entire suitcase in heavy plastic wrapping. Besides deterring theft, they claim that it prevents bedbugs from getting in too.

I just checked and the person who started this thread was a first-time poster and has not returned. I'm curious if he/she has perhaps realized that the lost items should not have been in unlocked checked luggage and has retreated from the discussion.

Thanks for the various suggestions! So far, the TSA locks have been adequate deterrence, although I use inexpensive luggage purchased at Ross, so it may not look worth getting into!

I was intrigued by the duct tape suggestion -- that stuff really is amazing. Just one question though -- when you remove it, doesn't it leave a sticky mess on your bag? :eek:

Yes, it can leave residue on the suitcase. But hey. We have luggage covered in duct tape - not the most elegant sight to see anyway. A little residue is a further detraction. LOL Something that ugly can't possible have anything valuable in it - right? :D

I'm curious if he/she has perhaps realized that the lost items should not have been in unlocked checked luggage and has retreated from the discussion.

I will have to say, most everything is valuable to me, and aside from taking a carry-on only, I can't NOT put "valuables" into my checked luggage: I'm 4'10" and it's difficult to find clothes that fit (or they have to be altered), I have sensitivities to chemicals, so I have to carry special soap and shampoo, etc. etc.

Of course I wouldn't put passports, etc. into checked luggage; but everything I take is valuable to me (and difficult to replace on vacation)!