We would avoid travel to Egypt

Hlitner

Certainly understand what you guys are saying; however, we are very excited about our cruise that includes two overnights in Egypt in late October. Obviously we won't be able to go if things don't settle down in the next few months. I just hope Celebrity doesn't change/cancel anything this far out. We have put off going over there for the last few years and finally decided to just do it. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

I still have hopes. :):):)

Does anyone have a feel of what Celebrity is doing about the Solstice on October 26? Travel to Egypt is not looking good.

Does anyone have a feel of what Celebrity is doing about the Solstice on October 26? Travel to Egypt is not looking good.

The parent of Celebrity just cancelled a Mariner of the Seas port call for Egypt. While no one likes to have a port changed, the cruise line will ultimately make the decision based on the safety of it's passengers and crew. You may not know until a few days before the actual port call.

"Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas will skip a scheduled stop in Alexandria, Egypt on on Tuesday, September 18 due to rising anti-American sentiment and violence in Egypt over the last few days...."

http://www.*****.com/2012/09/14/royal-caribbean-cancels-stop-egypt-due-protests

• 3 weeks later...

Hank,

I was really looking foward to this part of the trip but could not agree with you more...things are not going to get better any time soon.I just wish that Celebrity would get back to us with the changed Itinary so those of us with plans could plan accordingly. (I am seeing family in Israel)

What I don't not want are extra days at sea. ....so I wish Celebrity would give us some info.

I also do not want to be like the Achille Laurel.....I knew the Klinghoffer family.

Scotti

I have posted this elsewhere but will put it here because it's relevant. The Mariner of the Seas did complete its two day port call in Alexandria yesterday and today. Guess we will just have to keep watching to see what the future holds for this port.

Hank

Just checked the real time AIS maps and noticed that the Prinsendam is heading to Alexandria and will dock tomorrow morning (their time). The Celebrity Silhouette will be docking in Haifa tomorrow. It appears that things are getting back to normal (at least for the cruise lines) in Egypt. The Mariner of the Seas is currently docked in Ashodod, Israel after having spent its schedules 2 days in Alexandria. Tunesia still seems to be hit or miss depending on cruise lines with MSC regularly calling at La Goulette (Tunis) but several other lines skipping the port.

Hank

Just checked the real time AIS maps and noticed that the Prinsendam is heading to Alexandria and will dock tomorrow morning (their time). The Celebrity Silhouette will be docking in Haifa tomorrow. It appears that things are getting back to normal (at least for the cruise lines) in Egypt. The Mariner of the Seas is currently docked in Ashodod, Israel after having spent its schedules 2 days in Alexandria. Tunesia still seems to be hit or miss depending on cruise lines with MSC regularly calling at La Goulette (Tunis) but several other lines skipping the port.

Hank

Thanks for the update Hank. Things look good to keep original itineraries (we're on Jade in November). Saw somewhere that Pacific Princess diverted - but that ship left shortly after the problems and was on a longer cruise. Itinerary change was determined before she left.

Hank

Hank

Not sure what hapepned with Silhouette, they were supposed to be in Alexandria today and tomorrow then on to Haifa. But checking the site sailwx, it appeared they were in the Greek Isles yesterday and are at sea today headed for Israel. May have been a last munite decision as the Celebrity website says no iteneraries have been altered.

I can answer my own question. It looks like Celebrity changed the order of ports from the original plan (I have a brochure they sent me from last year- I never throw these things out!). They were in Santorini Oct 1, then going on to Haifa tomorrow, Ashdod on the Oct. 4 and 5, and Alexandria on Oct. 6 and 7.

So things still look good all around! Sorry for the confusion; didn't mean to scare anyone.

We are on the Crown Princess due into Alexandria on OCt. 30 and 31. Hoping for the best; I don't believe Princess had any scheduled stops there before then.

Hank

Not sure what hapepned with Silhouette, they were supposed to be in Alexandria today and tomorrow then on to Haifa. But checking the site sailwx, it appeared they were in the Greek Isles yesterday and are at sea today headed for Israel. May have been a last munite decision as the Celebrity website says no iteneraries have been altered.

You are correct that the Silhouette was in Santorini yesterday. Perhaps the planners at Celebrity did not want to have both the Mariner of the Seas and Silhouette docked in Alexandria at the same time. Hence the change in Itinerary.

Hank

Hi Chaz2010

We too are on the Crown for your sailing. Since I have booked a non ships tour of Cairo-Luxor I am anxiously checking the boards to see what ships are still stopping at Alexandria and which are not.

Hopefully by the time we go in one month Princess will feel comfortable (and I will feel comfortable) stopping there and doing my planned excursion.

Crossing fingers!!!

Confirmed - every Egypt starting with December got e-mails this a.m. of an itinerary change (from what I can tell by the Jade rollcalls).NCL Jade in Oct and November are still going to Egypt. Here's the blurb I found on a rollcall.

The safety and security of our guests, crew and ships is our highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We believe the ports in Egypt remain viable ports of call at the present time. However, because of the situation in the region and the feedback from guests, the company is cancelling Norwegian Jade's scheduled stops in Egypt and will call in Iraklion, Crete, Greece and Naples, Italy instead. The itinerary information can be found below. We will operate the originally scheduled itinerary on October 20 and November 10, 2012. Guests wishing to change their reservation to either of those sailings may do so and their cruise fare will be protected.

We are on the jade for the November 21st sailing and below is what we received last night. The scary part is now Turkey is fighting with Syria.

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,

IMPORTANT: INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Jade's 10-Day Eastern Mediterranean sailings from Rome (Civitavecchia) from November 21, 2012 to April 17, 2013.

The safety and security of our guests, crew and ships is our highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We believe the ports in Egypt remain viable ports of call at the present time. However, because of the situation in the region and the feedback from guests, the company is cancelling Norwegian Jade's scheduled stops in Egypt from November 21, 2012 to April 17, 2013 and will call in Istanbul, Turkey and Naples, Italy instead. The itinerary information can be found below. We will operate the originally scheduled itinerary on October 31, 2012. Guests wishing to change their reservation to the October 31, 2012 sailing may do so and their cruise fare will be protected.

Original Arrive Depart

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 pm

Thu At Sea

Fri Olympia (Katakolon), Greece 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Sat Athens (Piraeus), Greece 7:00 am 5:00 pm

Sun Ephesus (Izmir), Turkey 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Alexandria, Egypt 6:00 am Overnight

Wed Alexandria, Egypt 6:00 pm

Thu At Sea

Fri At Sea

Sat Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 am

Revised Arrive Depart

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 pm

Thu At Sea

Fri Olympia (Katakolon), Greece 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Sat Athens (Piraeus), Greece 7:00 am 5:00 pm

Sun Ephesus (Izmir), Turkey 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon Istanbul, Turkey 1:00 pm overnight

Tue Istanbul, Turkey 8:00 pm

Wed At Sea

Thu At Sea

Fri Naples, Italy 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 am

Istanbul is one of the largest cities in the world filled with a rich-history and must-sees including the Grand Bazaar, the world's largest bazaar filled with more than 3,000 shops. In addition, there are numerous restaurants, entertainment and cultural sights to see. Naples is located on Italy's stunning Amalfi Coast, a city rich in colorful history that will take you back through the centuries and with its grand piazzas, cathedrals and castles in the old center.

If you have pre-booked shore excursions in Alexandria, Cairo or Luxor with Norwegian Cruise Line, your reservation will be automatically cancelled. Shore excursion information for Istanbul, Turkey and Naples, Italy will be available on ncl.com by October 15.

Should you have any questions please contact us at (800) 327-7030 from 8:00 am to midnight ET Monday through Friday and from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm Saturday and Sunday.

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Hi Chaz2010

We too are on the Crown for your sailing. Since I have booked a non ships tour of Cairo-Luxor I am anxiously checking the boards to see what ships are still stopping at Alexandria and which are not.

Hopefully by the time we go in one month Princess will feel comfortable (and I will feel comfortable) stopping there and doing my planned excursion.

Crossing fingers!!!

Yes we are on a private Egypt tour as well (with others from the roll call), so hoping for the best.

Let's hope Mariner, Silhouette and Prisendam set a good precedent.

Archived